Center for Social Dynamics Employee Reviews

Under trained and stressful
Behavior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORApril 21, 2019
I did not work here long due to the fact that I went through training and still had no idea what to do. I’ve worked with kids for 10 years, my brother has autism, and so I felt I would be a good fit. My manager was fantastic, my supervisor left a lot to be desired. However, the trainer was the worst. I went to over 20 hours of training and I still couldn’t tell you what my job was. We got a lot of history of the training but no hands on training, no shadow sessions, it was disorganized and a disappointment. Save your time and apply somewhere you’ll be more valued.
Pros
Easy schedule
Cons
Not enough training
Productive and fun workplace, fast paced, heavy work load
Behavior Therapist (Former Employee) –  San Bruno, CAMarch 7, 2019
For every client you have, you are required to meet with your supervisor for 1 hour every month. In addition, you must also write a session plan for each month/per child. It is a very fun work environment, though can be very stressful at times.
Productive and rewarding
CSD - Behavioral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rohnert Park, CAFebruary 27, 2019
CSD is a great place to work at. We have a supportive and collaborative staff and opportunites to grow. Each day is a new learning experience and the kiddos are amazing!
Great first job
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAJanuary 14, 2019
Good part time job. Supervisors are helpful when you have questions. Great environment to be in if you like to work independently. People are very nice in the office.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no benefits
The culture cant be beat!!
admin employee (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAOctober 15, 2018
I have been around the block when it comes to ABA companies and CSD has definitely figured it out. If something isn't working, they change it. If an employee has a complaint, they listen. They believe in the entry level position is top priority in the company. It is a company for clinicians built by clinicians as the CEO Pete would say. The support system rocks and the people cannot be beat!
Pros
Culture, support and ethical
Excellent environment
Administrative Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 28, 2018
Center for Social Dynamics was one of the best employers! I loved the environment and working with CSD clients.
Unfortunately, managements positions were laid off.
fun work place to be in and get to play with kids
Autism Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 19, 2018
nice job, it could be a little stressful but supervisor and company are flexible with hours and school. if want a sick time or vacation time off the paperwork should be submitted 2 weeks in advance.
Not a job for everyone. Not the worst if you have a vocation.
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 13, 2018
To paraphrase a well known adage: it is important to have the courage to change the things that can be changed, the patience to let be the things that cannot be changed and the wisdom to know the difference.

What cannot be changed: Center for Social Dynamics is an ABA company in the Bay Area subject to the restrictions inherent in the industry among those is high turnover and the need to exist in an environment of high growth (which inevitably is linked to high turnover) and low levels of direct supervision (which often results in low employee morale). As an employee interested in going into this field, these are just things that you will just need to live with, at least over the next couple of years.

What can be changed: The culture at the agency is tribal and the prevalent management style is hegemonic. This promotes a toxic working atmosphere and exacerbates low job satisfaction and turnover in an industry that already struggles with these metrics. Management would benefit from a more egalitarian leadership style and a more conciliatory approach when it comes to conflicts between clinical and administrative priorities. (See Performance Thinking sixboxes.com)
Shady Profit Seeking Company
Behavioral Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Bruno, CAAugust 24, 2018
The staff and supervisor are incompetent. Behavioral Specialists are given only 3 days of training before they are thrown into the field. As a result, they oftentimes don’t know what they’re doing when they enter the kiddo’s homes. With fast (and easy) growth within the company, the company can easily promote incompetent staff.

Incompetent management combined with their abuse of power makes it frustrating to do our job. I had a supervisor who made excuses about her absence in my kiddo’s sessions; and even when she did overlap, she was on her phone! Another clinical director blamed us for our kiddo’s issues. Upper management is usually unwilling to admit that they’re wrong because they don’t think there is anything else they need to learn.

I have seen CSD admit new clients even when we cannot staff the existing clients. Parents end up waiting months for a BS to come to their homes and they are often subs who are new and inexperienced. There are times when I would be asked to sub but was told that I would not be paid overtime due to the fact that they’re just trying to make up hours for the kid. I refused because if that child is not on my regular schedule, it should be considered overtime.

We are definitely overworked and underpaid; only benefit was the 2 sick days PER year. I would receive texts from my supervisor at 11 pm at night and even when I was on my UNPAID vacation! I typically end work at 8 pm and the last thing I want to think about is work before I head to bed. My life does not revolve around work.

There is also a high turnover rate for clinical directors
  more... and most (if not all) are not BCBA which I think is a bit suspicious.

There are a lot of changes that CSD needs to make and only time will tell how far this company will go.
Pros
Supportive families
Cons
Lack of benefits, incompetent staff and supervisor, abuse of power in upper management
mismanaged and dysfunctional
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Bruno, CAAugust 23, 2018
I am a seasoned medical professional who took a chance at a new career in behavioral health as a scheduler. I was overworked as a salaried employee and badgered by an abusive manager. Scheduling low paid,part time workers with patients on the autism spectrum was an absolute nightmare. I handled many calls from very unhappy families about the poor care they received from the barely trained Behavior Specialists. The Behavior Specialists are burnt out and treated poorly with no paid time off or benefits of any kind. This company is all about the billable hours and NOT about patient care. The only enjoyable part of this job was working with the Program Supervisors and Clinical Directors who are young and try to make a difference.
fun workplace especially if you want to work with kids in the future
Behavior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAJuly 14, 2018
It was a great experience working for this company. It gave me more knowledge about autism and more awareness of it. It challenges you everyday when you encounter new things with clients. It's nice to know you are making a change in someone's life.
Great Place to Work if you Love Kids!
Behavioral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 1, 2018
CSD is a great environment to work in with many opportunities. I definitely recommend working for this company. I have had a great experience with the management and have had many opportunities to grow within the company and as a person. Overall, my experience with CSD has been an amazing one.
Fun and fast paced work
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJune 22, 2018
Being a BS is one of the most rewarding experiences. CSD provides training and constant contact to ensure you feel comfortable and prepared while on site.
Pros
Kids are amazing
Cons
Drive time
Great Place to Work
IT Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAApril 30, 2018
Everyone at CSD really enjoys what they do, and it shows in the culture of the company at all their offices. It is an organization that prides itself in all the right things: How they do their job, who they get to do it, and understanding there is more to life than just working.
Pros
Coworkers are really nice
Cons
Growing Quickly, so corporate structure is not fully settled in.
fun working with the kiddos, office was unprofessional
Behavior Therapist (Former Employee) –  South BayApril 11, 2018
The job was fun working with the families and the kids, regional manager was unprofessional rude her position went to her head. Had no procedure in place for training properly and for subbing.Supervisors were nice but overworked with a lot of case loads. Upper management didn't care about BT only those in higher positions. Schedulers are a joke will act like they will help you get hours then make excuses and were troublemakers. I don't recommend working here a lot of better companies out there.
Pros
paid for meetings and trainings
Cons
poor managment and hr
Great culture
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAJanuary 24, 2018
I love the impact this small company is having in the communities it serves. It is a group of individuals that work together in order to produce the highest quality health care for their patients.
Cons
part time
Busy but fun
Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 1, 2017
Busy, lot's of movement. I enjoy working with the clients and their families. My supervisors were supportive and easy to talk to. I just became a little frustrated because I was looking for job advancement.
Proffessional and fun environment.
Behavior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gilroy, CAMay 19, 2017
I enjoyed working here. It's overall a great company. Training is excellent and all staff is welcoming and supportive. If you enjoy working with kids and making a difference in someone's life this is the company for it.
Center for Social Dynamics was a great experience with great families to work with who were very supportive.
Behavior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 16, 2017
Center for Social Dynamics away was a very good place to work for. The family pairings that I had were diverse yet very supportive and attentive to the needs of the client and the support staff working on the case.
Late Stage Start up
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 12, 2017
Great company so far! Management is very knowledgeable and very quick to answer any questions. Still a growing company and has a start up kinda feel to it. Things change quick but usually for the better. Clients are great and lots of fun!
Pros
Great management that really cares about clients and specialists
Cons
More hours 30+

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Center for Social Dynamics. Our community is ready to answer.