Center for Strategic and International Studies

Center for Strategic and International Studies Employee Reviews

Complex, varies program to program
Fellow (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 24, 2018
There are pros and cons to working here, like many places. There is ample opportunity to forge connections outside of the organization, and the convening power is significant. Each program is run entirely autonomously, which can lead to staff mismanagement, and frequently does.
Honored to work there but you can't do living with salary they offered
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 9, 2018
Definitely it is a place that everybody in IR would like to work at some point but this is not a final destination. You can't move up unless you obtain a Ph.D degree in the field or have worked for government +10-15 years.

It is recommended for university grads for 2-3 years but you have to find another place that can encourage your career and have better compensation.
Contracted for a short duration
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 30, 2018
I was a contractor for a specific project. I was taken care of as a temp employee, in such a great way. The administrative staff made reservations for my travel then, ensured that if I had any problems, that they were fixed very fast. During the briefings, we took breaks, and the staff encouraged people to get to know each other, and ensured there was a very diverse group of people in attendance.
Pros
Get opportunity to network
Cons
none that I can think of
Energetic and productive think-tank environment
Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 8, 2018
Working as an intern at CSIS was a fantastic and rewarding experience. My job tasks were flexible and communication within my program was excellent; I really felt like part of a supportive and dedicated team. Although the environment is fast-paced and deliverables of the highest quality are expected, for anyone who is an international relations wonk and can thrive by working at a think-tank with the best of the best, CSIS is the place to apply.
Good place for research experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 18, 2018
If you are looking to build good research and writing skills, this is a good place. Not much room for advancement unless you have a PhD, but a reasonable place to start.
paid internship review
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 15, 2017
paid internships at CSIS are interesting jobs but the pay is not great and they don't (or at least didn't, when I was there) come with benefits. and they're better than unpaid internships!
A wonderful opportunity to start a career in D.C.
Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 3, 2017
As an intern, I have a lot of responsibility and potential to hone various professional skills. It can be a bit tense with the amount of work that I have to get done on a regular basis but the deliverables are meaningful and worth the effort.
Pros
Lots of free food after events. Interns are paid. Management is friendly. CEO is fantastic.
Cons
Sometimes it is a bit hard to access higher-ups, no publishing credit as an intern, sometimes associate researchers treat interns in a disrespectful manner.
Great for young professionals
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 27, 2017
Think tanks allow for stimulating work, even at low pay. The young professional community is vibrant and management is dedicated to long-term development. CSIS is a top rate institution with global influence.
One of the best places I have ever worked
Researcher - Chair for Southeast Asia Studies (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 21, 2017
Great management team, strong bipartisan academic reports. I had opportunities to work with thought leaders, heads of state and political figures, advance my own career through mentorship opportunities and have fun at the same time.
A good place to work
Chief Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 1, 2017
CSIS is a place to work where you feel like you can make a difference. From the CEO down to interns everyone is there to help improve the course of US and the world through better policy decisions.
Intellectually and Academically stimulating work environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 12, 2017
A great position to be at, with an excellent group of people to work with. Very fulfilling and meaningful work. The management is great and there is an excellent social environment.
Pros
Lots of free food from events
Cons
None to speak of
Help Desk Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 22, 2017
My time working at Center for Strategic and International Studies was a great experience for me because I learned so much and was able to use the skills to solve a lot of computers issues
Pros
Free Lunches
High intellect
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCMarch 1, 2017
This organization is a wonderful place to work. It has a very demanding and yet supportive environment. The internships have minimum pay but the experience is worth it.
Great Learning Experience
Membership Groups Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2015
Beautiful building with a great workplace culture that was fun, friendly and welcoming. My superiors were always helping me improve my skills and guiding me through new processes. I never felt unappreciated as an intern and due to my high work performance, I was awarded hourly pay after 1 month working at CSIS. Lots of networking opportunities and endless interesting events available for staff to attend.
Great environment
Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2015
As the top think-tank for defense and national security, CSIS is full of brilliant, experienced experts and current/ former practitioners. It does a great job of providing its interns the opportunity to gain exposure to a variety of different policy areas; however the pay and prospects for advancement within the organization for entry-level employees is a bit disappointing.
Pros
Exposure to experts in a number of fields
Cons
pay
Ideal place for doing research
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 23, 2015
I really enjoyed working at CSIS. I was surrounded by some of the most talented minds. Most of the senior level experts are very nice, supportive, and are willing to talk to you.
Great environment
RA (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 18, 2015
Think tanks are very compartmentalized, so you will have a different experience depending on who you work for; for entry level jobs, there is no real career development in the company-- however, it is an excellent opportunity to learn and build relationships
Best job of my life
Program Manager/Analyst, ISP (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 24, 2014
I loved my time at CSIS. The work was meaningful and the people were professional and great to be around. There is not much negative to say about it with exception to the pay is below what you would make at a for profit organization, but you do not go there to make a profit. You go to CSIS to make a difference.
Pros
Great work life balance, meaningful work
Cons
Pay not as competitive as for profit orgs
Very good place for an internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 21, 2014
You will be working in the center of the political world and will interact with some of the most important and intelligent people in the world. You will learn more than you could even imagine.
An Inspiring and Dedicated Think Tank
Intern, South Asia Program (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 28, 2014
My experience as an intern at CSIS has been invaluable going forward in my career. The research and writing skills taught are particularly valuable.