Center for Urban Community Services Employee Reviews

N/a
Program Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2019
CUCS is a wonderful company to work for. I have worked at CUCS for over 14 years and have enjoyed every minute of it. I have an amazing supervisor and have learned so much about management and organizational development.
Pros
Its an amazing place to work.
Licensed Social Worker, Psychiatric Liaison (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 12, 2019
I had a significant caseload of high needs cts, and learned how to advocate for my cts, and take providers to the mat when needed. Management and supervisors were supportive. I learned so much from my cts and coworkers. Had I not have needed to relocate, I never would have left.
Pros
Great benefits, tons of ASWB trainings
Cons
St Barnabas Hospital- Ugh, just the worst.
Wonderful company but non competitive salary
LMSW (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 27, 2019
CUCS is a great organization for social workers and case managers who are new to the field. They have great trainings and overall helpful supervision. I worked there for one year, though noticed that I was paid a much lower salary than many of my friends who had obtained jobs fresh out of their MSW programs. Programs often have high turnover rates and it sometimes feels that upper managment doesn't understand the difficulty of high case loads. Many of my co workers would often skip their lunches just to see clients or get paperwork done. I will say that it is easy to go to supervisors with your concerns, and they are often empathetic and try to make accommodations, but it can be difficult. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the clients and having the support of co workers. However, if you're looking to make more than 50k, you're going to have to wait until you move up in the company or find a new workplace.
Pros
Supportive supervisors, good work environment, good benefits
Cons
Non competitive salary, large case loads
Very friendly working place
Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2019
Co-worker are very nice, main office is very big, nice working environment. lots of paid holidays, 4 days off for thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day, very good place to work.
Pros
Good benefit, lots of paid holiday
Cons
Main office location doesn’t have many restaurants for food choice
Large company with an even larger mission
Accountant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2018
Provides needed services for subsidised housing clients. Connected to many other providers in the City. Learned quite a bit about this type of nonprofit arena.
Pros
Easily accessed by subway
Cons
It is rather far uptown
great wealth of knowledge, may be challenging at times
Senior Office Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2018
The office manager's role which I'm currently in is quite challenging. The office manager is responsible for managing over 35 employees, multi tasks several loads through out the day. The office manager is a key component to the program functionality and requires a great deal of attention. The most rewarding aspect of the job is that the office manager has a lasting impact on ensuring that the staff is equip and ready for the day's work, thus ensuring our clients are happy, safe and comfortable.
good place to work
Case Manager I (Current Employee) –  1530 beach ave Bronx New YorkSeptember 4, 2018
Working at CUCS has been a good experience. the people that work there are very helpful they have good working relationships. the director is pleasant and knowledgeable about social work.
Pros
good work relationship with peers, good director, flexable
Cons
small area to work in
A Great Place to Work
Sr. Director the Uptown/Scattered Sites Program (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2018
At CUCS our goal is to help improve the lives of our client population by providing excellent evidence based case management services. As the senior director of the Uptown and Scattered Site programs my job is to provide administrative/clinical oversight of DOHMH , HUD, DHS and NYNY congregate and supportive scattered site housing units. I manage contract compliance, outcomes, analyze data, ensure accuracy of reports to government and private funders with a budget totaling $2 million dollars annually.
As one of the major leaders in the field of service delivery to the mentally ill, homeless and formally homeless population, a highlight of working at CUCS is that the organization believe in training staff to remain relevant.
Pros
Helping social work staff to obatin thier LCSW hours .
Cons
Pay raises are few and far between
Greatest and Hardest Job in the World
Case Manager-Part Time (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2018
You want a challenge for life and in life, this is the place. Nothing is perfect but the passion to enhance someone else well-being.

I am satisfied when I go home that I assisted or contribute to providing hope, understanding to someone else life.

Best opportunity in the world.
Pros
Training, great co-workers.
Cons
heathcare deductible is high.
Workplace
Per Diem Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 13, 2018
Great per diem job. It is easy and relax. Great for people trying to work in the social work field and can provide a services to mentally ill clients.
Inconsistent social service agency
Staff Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 30, 2018
CUCS strives to be the best in the mental health and housing field. The salary is too low for the work expectations. The administration is inconsistent with policies . There are several great programs led by dedicated managers who would like consumers and staff to grow and develop.
Pros
Dedicated staff
Cons
Salary
A typical day at work
Quality Assurance Department -Billing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 26, 2018
Well for starters I am not challenged. The work is very easy to do and it is usually done by 10 or 11 in the morning. There is nothing else to say without personally identifying myself.
Pros
Be able to work from home the majority of the time.
Cons
No room for advancement (promotion).
Fun place to work
Desktop Administrator, IT (Former Employee) –  198 East 121th Street, East HarlemApril 18, 2018
Overlooked computer users issues connectivity, Learn how to to use MDM Air watch, learned how to program and connect Avaya phoned server and phone system, learned how to enable and disable building security codes, learned how to use security video cameras using DVR.

Workplace culture was slow. relax, changing printer toners, the hardest part was dealing with vendors who did not delivered on time for user's request.

The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with users, they were all friendly and they enjoy when I work with them, they were always happy and the end of the task requested when I was finished.
Pros
somtimes we were able to work fdrom home.
I learn job responsabilties with a multitask very complex which i enjoy
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 24, 2018
phone, public interact data entry supply's inventory,call vendors
responsabilties multitask
good but more flexible to clients.
space for grow up
busy
Pros
A good opportunities to learn different task as a Adm. Assistant
Cons
For me no space to grow up profesional
Productive and great place to work
Rehabilitation Specialist/ Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Midtown Manhattan, NYJanuary 8, 2018
this was one of my favorite places to work. I learned a lot from the staff and my supervisor. The director was great and the clients were great to work with.
Pros
room for advancement
nice work place
Case Manager III (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 26, 2017
good people to with. there was no flexibility at times and there was some favoritism within the staff. management slow to act on situations and does not stick to rules put in place by management.
Pros
pay for school
Cons
no advancement
very productive
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2017
very challenging a good balance working with clients to reach goals.
Management easy going approachable good learning environment.
Team players/ Staff helpful organize professional
Pros
helping clients reach their goals
a great job
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2017
I met with clients. Created/Reviewed case notes. Participated in supervision. Conducted home visits/outreach. The only thing that I disliked was the train ride to work everyday. My supervisor was great. My co workers were nice too. The office was also very accommodating.
Pros
helping those in need
Cons
limited funding
Fast paced environment
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 11, 2017
Very fast paced environment.
Culture is very diverse
Great benefits
Company's mission is to help people with needs to rebuild their lives back in the community.
great first jobthis
intake specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 17, 2017
CUCS is a great place to work for those starting out in the human services field. You learn a lot of skills that will help you as you grow in your profession.

The downside is the only way to advance is if you are an LMSW/LCSW.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Center for Urban Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2