CenterPoint Energy Employee Reviews

N/a
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 19, 2018
It was very ghetto. You could wear anything you wanted to wear. Any color hair you wanted to wear. I would not recommend this place at all. Any and everybody could work here.
Pros
Cons
everything
n/a
Online Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 14, 2018
A typical day at CenterPoint Energy, consist of being fast paced, energetic an prepared. The most enjoyable part of my day is being able to assist the customer.
Leader in industry, still lagging behind
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 9, 2018
CenterPoint Energy's value proposition is multifaceted. Leading such a firm, especially when rate regulated (partially), presents a unique challenge. On balance, the culture is slowly evolving.

The company's emphasis on safety and community involvement are commendable. Further, there is moderate willingness to learn about emerging trends. Often this learning falls short of returning value to the company due to a technical inability to discriminate between buzzwords and actionable initiatives.

Such an issue could be resolved, often by internal resources, if not for pervasive, self-preservationist attitudes and a reliance on "Band-Aid solutions" from consultants. In total, the results of such policies cascade and align with what rational theory would predict - immature competencies in tech and data, turnover among its highest caliber employees, and an artificial hierarchy.

Rating: 3.75/5
Pros
Steady, Leadership is encouraging, Community-oriented
Cons
Culture is slow to adapt, Tenure is valued over competence, Proliferation of buzzwords, Asymmetry between strategy & technology time horizons
Typical day
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 4, 2018
Learned how to work in SAP modules Human Resources, Employees Services, Finance and IT/Voice communication programing...which resulted in being able to support internal customers with issues
Pros
Onsite gym and healthcare
Cons
Macro managing
great workplace culture
Senior Meter Reader IV (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 22, 2018
Awesome place to work. there are many advancement opportunities, frequent openings. Upper management gets involved with any concerns or ideas to improve work issues.
Pros
great vacation, benefits, pay
Cons
many jobs were replaced by smart meters.
fast paced a competitive
(Sub-Contractor), Utility Locator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2018
this is a very fast paced and competitive work place. If someone wants to work here, be ready to work hard. but you will get paid for your hard work. this is not an older persons job.
Pros
flex schedule
Cons
long, sometimes stressful hours
Excellenet Company
Retired Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 15, 2018
I retired from CenterPoint Energy after 40 years of employment. It is a great company that cares about its employees and its community. I would recommend this company to any one that is seeking employment.
Pros
everything there
Management very helpful
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 14, 2018
It could be stressful during the heat when a customers a/c was out and the wait time was days out or no heat calls. People are so demanding and yes, it gets frustrating when they are so demanding and almost impossible to work with. You have to learn patience and empathize
Pros
Overtime always
Cons
Customers being rude
fast paced, yet fun environent
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 10, 2018
I had the opportunity to work a fixed schedule that included weekends. I also had the chance to work on special projects, including a group sales goa. I volunteered to be on the safety committee which was information/training delivered to all employees.
Pros
fixed hours/schedule, opportunity to pick up overtime hours
Cons
nights, weekends
Awesome Place to Work
Customer Service Representative/New Hire Trainer (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LASeptember 25, 2018
This is by far one of the best places that I've worked. The management and coworkers were a team.. The DREAM TEAM!! If I didn't have to relocate, I would still be there!!
Pros
Large break room, sofas, recliners, tv's the works. Seperate lunch room with snack machines. Lot's of overtime available.
Cons
Didn't see any.
Very fast pace with little room for errors
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 24, 2018
Good place to work though very fast pace and stressful environment. Some great people in various departments; however, very few opportunities for advancement or growth.
Very enjoyably atmosphere
Administrative Assistant to Sr. Director (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 20, 2018
Enjoyed my working with my Director, my co-workers were friendly, the location was ideal the drive wasn't that far from my resident and the office atmosphere was professional..
fun place to work but strange work patterns
LINE INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 20, 2018
Centerpoint treats union personell much different than Non Union personell.
Many hurdles to overcome when trying to accomplish assigned job. People are mostly nice.
Pros
truck and fuel supplied
Cons
not paid for travel time
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 13, 2018
It was a great and enjoyable time working there and my manager was very nice. Everyone I met there always greeted me with a smile and a firm handshake.
Pros
Hour break for lunch
Cons
N/A only traffic after work
great
Apprentice Lineman (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Very physical job. work outside 100 percent of the time all year round. highly stressful. but very rewarding career. very very dangerous job if you do not follow safety rules and guidlines
Exciting
Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 9, 2018
I enjoyed the diversity at Centerpoint Energy. My job required me to travel to different locations and deal with all sorts of people. I also enjoyed learning different jobs performed my the Forman.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Winters
Cares about their customers/employees
N/A (Former Employee) –  TXSeptember 1, 2018
Great people to work with and great benefits. Learned a great deal about customer service, dispatching, and being out in the field. Very nice company to work for.
Rates are low
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2018
Rates are way below the market average. Lowest I’ve seen in over a decade comparable to the market. Technology is well rounded and secure which is nice . I also tech side of things are very well managed.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
Pay
Poor Work Environment, No office cohesion whatsoever
GIS tech (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXAugust 30, 2018
Terrible Office Environment, no office cohesion worked with PRIME LEGACY RECORDS, terrible supervisor. I have worked here for a year and other employees try to get you fired to gain an upper hand
Pros
great work hours
Cons
to many to name
Fast paced environment
IT Business Resilience Planner (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 25, 2018
Good place to work if you do not require a lot of guidance and like to figure out a lot of things on your own. Management might not provide direction when needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CenterPoint Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at CenterPoint Energy.

Powered by Comparably