CenterPoint Energy Employee Reviews

Tough technical testing
HVAC special Tech (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 28, 2019
Challenging work long hours. Working with many different managers and customers. Fixing many appliances that I have never seen before researching repair options. Maintaining inventory for a variety of appliances firniss's in air conditioners. Working in a variety of outdoor conditions in emergency on call situations. Responding to gas leaks and other emergency situations as needed.
Pros
Good pay and working conditions
Cons
To much overtime
productive
Linux System Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 26, 2019
I have been working at CenterPoint Energy
Pros

Big money with better retirement

Cons

Insurance can be expensive with family

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work
Nice place to work & a great recreational floor
Property Accounting Account Clerk IV (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 25, 2019
They were slow to accurately train New Hires. There are no Procedures within certain departments. Not great with getting employees the necessary training. Lack of Ergonomics support and you must purchase your own.
Pros
Great Recreational Floor
Cons
healthcare benefits could be better
Strict call center environment
Dispatcher II (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LASeptember 20, 2019
The company overall is great to their employees. However management is very unprofessional. There is not a lot of advancement with in the organization.
Pros
salary bonus raises
Cons
management mircomanaging
Robotic
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 18, 2019
I feel like a robot. There is no time for the unexpected. Every minute, every second must be accounted for with very little wiggle room. Dont get me wrong, it's a good place to work (once you're out of the call center).
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Mandatory overtime with little notice
Former Employee after only 3 weeks
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2019
CNP terminated me after I was sent home by a supervisor during training for informing them I was exposed to strep throat. I was sent home under the impression I was excused for the day. I was asked if I had a doctor's note which I did well the following day I received a call from the supervisor saying I was terminated. I caught strep throat from one of the new hires in the class. This is wrong
Excellent place to work!
DIRECTOR GAS SALES AND C&I CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 6, 2019
Great place to work. Great environment. Great culture. Dedicated to their customers and making a difference. One of the best places I have worked in my career.
Pros
Benefits, work-life balance
Cons
Could have long hours during storm/restoration situations
Productive work environment
Service Consultant (Current Employee) –  Bellaire, TXSeptember 4, 2019
Difficult job, but you are trained for several years. A lot of information to cover. Service consultants are used as the dumping ground for all other departments who do not wish to accept responsibility for any decision making. Consultants are the face of the company and deal with all sorts of issues. While that may sound bad, the job is rewarding and a good work environment with the department helps make it a good place to work.
Pros
9/80 schedule
It can be a great place to work if you get with the right group.
Business Process Rep II (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARAugust 28, 2019
Most of the company has a lot of opportunity. If you have an engineering degree then the sky is the limit. If you don't or don't have other industry experience you will be relegated to a frustrating position. Also be willing, no be pushing, to relocate to Houston.
Great company buttttt
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 26, 2019
Great place if you aren’t on the phones in the call center ... we were rushed out of training because they needed people on the phones. If you work flex don’t even think about having the holidays off unless that’s your normal off day .. petty, miserable co workers and more annoying customers who complain about things like the wind..
Great Growing Company
C&M Technician (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXAugust 25, 2019
This company offers opportunities for all that are willing to go above and beyond. If you are driven, the ceiling is high. Great company, great environment, great benefits
Senior Network Consultant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2019
Good work environment and enjoyed my co workers. Management was hands off and allowed the employees to do their job. No micro management and a lot of self paced projects.
good, quiet place to work
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  louisiana street houston, txAugust 17, 2019
I worked a 40 hour week. There were two guards on duty per shift. I had a good crew to work with. The biggest problem was finding a parking space when there was an event occurring in Houston.
Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXAugust 9, 2019
Excellent benefits and working environment also offers a lot of support from management. Very nice staff and everyone is always willing to help and offer assistance.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2019
The hardest part is keeping up with sells. The managment is okay. They say sells is a big part but not a big part. The lack of compassion for employees health is not good but are big on safety.
Issues
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 2, 2019
SE. TEXAS DISTRICT BEAUMONT. No employee loyalty. Management team is like working for communist, and they use there authorities to bully and pressure employees. Also jobs are threatened daily if management does not like reports. Employees are told by main guy in charge of district it’s a race we will be number one. Employee start doing that when accidents occur. Centerpoint is a great company though. Management has got to start hiring for the correct reason instead of hiring for color only. Seen allot of good loyal employees leave Over the years because of management. Starts at the district director is killing the moral, values and employees attitude badly on a daily basis.
It was tough at times
Sr service rep a (Current Employee) –  5310 old Galveston RdJuly 31, 2019
A typical day at work consist of doing miscellaneous work and answering emergency calls, management was ok at times, the toughest part of the job was working the district alone and having to go to a rough part of town by myself, the most enjoyable part was it was like a family environment, I learned how to have good work ethics.
It was awesome working there
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 30, 2019
Wonderful workplace with good work culture .Excellent management and great team . Gives enough time for learning and reciprocating. Supports personal growth and professional growth.
Very quiet but a relaxing workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 20, 2019
Prioritizing is very important as well as communicating with the team. I learned how to use a new software and how to problem solve when I didn't know how to do something. The most enjoyable part of the job was playing ping pong and pool while getting to know other people at the company.
I good place to build a career.
CALL CENTER SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 12, 2019
Many working and volunteer experiences through varied work locations. I learned the natural gas utility business first, then the electric utility business.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CenterPoint Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at CenterPoint Energy.

Powered by Comparably