Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Employee Reviews

Enjoyed the changing work assignment and the challenge of the work itself
Public Health Advisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix AZMay 22, 2018
Good career choice for me. Good retirement benefits and a feeling of accomplishment.
I accepted six different positions in different locations. The career moves were exciting and kept the work different and interesting. Also was assigned four TDY assignments in assist in emergency preparedness activities (usually for about 5 weeks per assignment).
Pros
Good career growth and learning opportunities.
Evaluation Fellow (ORISE) (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 16, 2018
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a great place to work. A collaborative environment with colleagues that are working to improve public health.
The CDC provided many opportunities
Public Health Advisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 8, 2018
The CDC provided many opportunities, but the management definitely needed to set clearer expectations. All work had to pass through multiple people before a decision could be made. Some higher people on the chain of command disagreed with people laterally and it is difficult to make progress with most projects.
Great Internship
Project IMHOTEP Fellow, Division of STD Prevention (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 5, 2018
The CDC offered an incredible internship! I was able to conduct scientific research with seasoned research specialists and analysts. My work was published in a scholarly journal!
Division of Executive Secretariat (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 30, 2018
Wonderful reputation, amazing people, working on cutting edge work. Great culture. Couldn't have been happier, but moved to a different city with my family.
I enjoyed my job very much and was able to be flexible
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 29, 2018
My work with CDC was taking care of a young lady with Dementia. I would help her get up in am, dress, eat breakfast,go for a ride in car, do errands, have lunch, plan activity, take walks, etc. I enjoyed it very much.
Pros
I could name events or trips we would take
Cons
Pay per hour was not sufficient for the exellent care I gave.
Extremely gratifying work
Team Lead - Epidemiologist (Former Employee) –  InternationalApril 26, 2018
Great leadership on the ground, imperative for the nature of the work. Very gratifying provision of public health service. Long hours and too many meetings.
Great learning experience
Public Health Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 12, 2018
The 2-year job assignment was filled with learning opportunities and trainings to become a more skilled public health worker. Can be frustrating to work in a government setting for administrative reasons, but overall provided me with the skills, opportunities, and experiences to advance my career somewhere new.
Stable employment where you can contribute to improving the health of our nation
Director Epidemiologist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 11, 2018
I've been with CDC for nearly 20 years as a USPHS Commissioned Corp Officer microbiologist and epidemiologist. It was a great career choice for me! I've opportunities to work at the local, state, national and international level on a wide variety of public health initiatives. I'm proud of my contributions to the agency mission.
Great benefits and salary but poor management and resources
Epidemiologist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 8, 2018
The work is very meaningful and interesting, but the culture is very hierarchical and stifling, and employees are given insufficient tools to accomplish the very challenging requirements of this work.
Worked as a student
Student Lab Assistant/Biological Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COApril 4, 2018
Student job. Nice place and people. Though my perspective shouldn’t count. I barely had to interact with anyone and wasn’t involved in much so I actually don’t have fair perspective here.
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 3, 2018
A great, challenging work environment that offers good work-life balance. One of the best places to be at if you work in the public health sector. Able to apply your skills and continue learning through training offered.
Great
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 2, 2018
If you are in the medical field this is where you would like to be. This provides the best case for anyone wanting to start a career in health. Great place to work.
Great experience
Web Content Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 26, 2018
A real learning environment; where you can develop skills to enhance your career. Although it is very difficult to be promoted, so you must make connections internally, if you have a chance.
good,
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 23, 2018
good place to work, good employees, good benefits, time can be flexible, a lot of things to learn and work on within my profession. I am able to meet a lot of different and intelligent individuals.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Working At CDC
Public Health Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 18, 2018
I have learned so much working at CDC and understanding what it is that they do and how they do so much for the health section of this country. I also had a chance to work with some great people.
Needs management expertise badly
Health Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 15, 2018
It pains me to say this because the organization has such a great mission and mandate but it only invests in med-epis, most of whom have zero management skills. This results in mismanagement, inefficiency and toxic team dynamics. Additionally, CDC is super arrogant. Folks are trained that there is one way to do things and anyone else is wrong or misinformed.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
arrogant culture, terrible management skills across the board.
Great environment to work in
CDC Contractor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 13, 2018
Great environment to work as a contractor. Many contractors are employed there for many years. Sometimes hard to get a FTE due to veterans preference by job applicants.
Great for new public health professionals
Public Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 8, 2018
The Public Health Associate program is a two-year paid training program offered by the CDC, and it is amazing for recent graduates to jump-start a career in public health. Duty stations are located across the country, and you are assigned to a site as a field worker, with the potential to work in a variety of public health service areas (depending on your assignment). You do not have a say in your program area or location, but if you are flexible, open-minded, and able to relocate, it is a great opportunity.

The experience is what you make of it--the more your host site sees of your work ethic and capabilities, the more potential to grow in the position. My experience, for example, has included developing a program from scratch, and I went on to implement and manage that program for the first year of my program. After proving my skills, my second year I went on to help manage two other programs and have had the opportunity not only to do programmatic work, but also have had the chance to work with clients from the community. I have learned so much about HIV prevention and care services and public health strategies to help increase access and equity for community members. To succeed in this position, you must be flexible, driven, and dedicated to your work.

Workplace culture varies greatly and depends upon where you are assigned. I was assigned to a local public health agency that has an amazing workplace culture that has been very supportive of my goals and growth.

The hardest part of the job is managing two different entities--the CDC (mostly admin tasks) and your
  more... host site, which likely has different processes than the CDC. It can be a bit annoying dealing with all of the CDC "red tape."

The best part of the job is getting a chance to learn everyday! Hands-on learning is, in my opinion, the best way to learn. Making connections with colleagues at your host site is a great way to learn about different areas of your department and find mentors who can help guide you as you begin to shape your career. If you put in the work, it pays off.
Great Company
Business Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 7, 2018
I love working for the CDC, great place to work. You learn a lot about public health. There's room for growth and flexible schedules. You can also telework.