Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Happiness rating is 75 out of 100

Working at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: 515 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Reviews

United States515 reviews

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose

Great ability to work as individual

Managers weren't overbearing, very supportive environment. Great training. Plenty of work and tools to perform.

Feel a sense of purpose.

CDC is an awesome place to work. You feel a sense of purpose in trying to make the world a better place whether you work directly or indirectly to do so. There are also many trainings that enhance your professional and personal growth.

Pros

Schedule flexibility, Family oriented, Greater purpose than yourself, Making a contribution to making the world a better place.

Cons

Frustrating to actually get in the door to get hired, Hiring mechanisms can be improved, Promotion opportunities are not always available for some levels.

Lots to learn

I'm an orise fellow. I'm learning a lot and my team is very supportive. But I only get 10 paid days off per year and need to pay taxes on my income (not automatically taken out like FTE).

Hectic

It was a fine place to work until the pandemic hit and everything got super hectic. The Service Desk workload quadrupled at the beginning of the pandemic and stayed high until I resigned.

Pros

Meaningful/important work

Cons

Hectic

Stressful because there's no job security

I worked for them for a call center. They gave us a horrible training, they had no plan, it was a mess, everyone was lost, and then in a week they told everyone we we're out of the job. NO stability or job security at all.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

they lay you off without notice

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

feel that can make a tremendous difference in people's lives

Great agency, committed employees and leadership. Feel a strong sense of purpose. Offers great benefits and career advancement opportunities and job security. Great if you want to make a difference in the world.

No complaints

Good work life balance, great pay, easy going environment. Plenty opportunities for career growth. Even as a contractor I did not have any complaints.

Pros

Work life balance

The pay was awesome

I loved my time working for them. The pay was great, the job was rewarding and my coworker's were the best. I worked during the Ebola outbreak in 2014

Great work/life balance, insufficient learning opportunities

It's a good starting place for recent graduates to gain work experience if you don't have better offers yet. But the learning curve may not be steep enough if you want to learn a lot.

Pros

Great work/life balance

Cons

No dental/vision insurance for ORISE fellow

Pay your interns

I was a graduate student intern at the CDC and overall had a middling experience. I wasn't paid (which I know, government internship) but I would have appreciated something — literally anything, even a small stipend — because I felt undervalued and overworked.

Easy to get pigeon holed and not advance

It is hard to find a fulltime position with CDC and, once you do, it is fairly hard to advance your career (via promotion or changing jobs within CDC) due to the application process. I have known many people who were working in a position as a temporary employee, fellow, or on a detail and were ineligible (based on the application process) to get the same job fulltime.

Pros

good benefits

Cons

bureaucratic clearance process, little room to advance

Fantastic people and mission, bureaucracy improving

CDC was already a great place to work before COVID, but it is only becoming better because people who genuinely care are putting in long hours to make processes more effective and efficient. Despite the difficulties and setbacks in 2020, the future is very bright because CDC is modernizing astoundingly fast for a bureaucratic behemoth and people have been surprisingly open to positive changes in 2020, that otherwise would have taken years to accomplish.

Pros

Positive people, fascinating work

Cons

Still too academic, lots of talking in circles and overcomplicating things

Decent

Not a bad gig. Very flexible with work start and end times, most of the people are nice and decent to work with. However, also rampant with politics and favoritism - especially when it comes to FTE positions.

Cdc

Canvassing not center of disease control but I was knocking on people door asking them if they would like to register to vote with a iPod. It was a fun and outgoing job and I would love to do it again!

Great place to be if you can land a job

I spent 2 years there as an ORISE Fellow. Unfortunately, so many of the jobs on CDC Campus are external contract labor or fellowships that the true CDC jobs are few and far between. I performed better than expected in my role, but ultimately could not apply for a full-time position doing the same job I was already doing simply because I didn't have a Master's or PhD. Instead I was forced to train my replacement who had 20 years of experience but whose attention to detail on the bench was not exceptional. Extreme academic bias where hiring is concerned...I understand the need for education and credentials, but often the experience required for area of focus is extreme in degree level and specificity.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Poor communication between departments

My experience

I love working at CDC. It feels goo to do your job know that the web pages and content i am building is helping others. I also love the working environment and my co-workers. Its a great place to work!

Overall a progressive work environment

Of all the government locations and agencies that I have worked or been associated with I would say that the CDC provides the most progressive work environment. There is a broad range of activities and employee support assets available and the culture is largely one of inclusiveness.

N/a

This company demonstrates excellency in providing services to public health. I took this position as a career pathway position and introduction into public health.

The entire organization is ok but some parts of it is useless people working there

Don't like the culture as it is mostly two culture and not comfortable to work there as you are viewed as an outsider and not very friendly. Very loud and must be associated with certain culture otherwise you don't make any difference except with senior doctors.

Pros

exciting to work on projects

Cons

culture is unfriendly.

This is a very relax and enjoyable work place

Working at the CDC is a very rewarding job. There are areas of learning that can be positive for those that are interested in public health. Opportunities are there if you apply yourself.

Pros

Open campus

Cons

Tight security

Outstanding Career

The workplace culture was positive with teaching being the most enjoyable part of my day. My opportunities at CDC grew as my education grew. In addition to my Masters courses, CDC offers many courses, a number of which I took. Also, had great mentors. I was very pleased with my advancement at CDC.

Common questions about Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Answered by current and former employees at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Powered byComparably

Compare Centers for Disease Control and Prevention with

• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?