Central California Alliance for Health Employee Reviews

Plenty of health improvement benefits
Manager (Current Employee) –  Scotts Valley, CAJuly 5, 2018
Company offers many health-promoting benefits. Disorganized as it has grown too fast and with little planning. Employees really care about the customers.
great place to work with wonderful benefits and culture
Pharmacy Technician II (Current Employee) –  Scotts Valley, CAMarch 26, 2018
I love the work I do at the Alliance. It is meaningful work and the company always has its members and employees best interests at heart. Management is understanding and flexible to employees needs. In the ever changing environment of health care this company stays up to date and makes the transitions as easy as possible for its employees and members.
March 28, 2018

The Alliance has a mission with a purpose: Providing high quality health care to 350,000 members throughout our service area. Isn't it nice to be able to work at a company that has such a positive impact on the community? We're so happy to read that you're enjoying your time here. Thanks for taking time to leave feedback for the Alliance.

Great place to work.
Children's Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scotts Valley, CAFebruary 23, 2018
Great workplace with a relaxed culture. Big stress on work/life balance. Competitive pay with great benefits. Lack of career advancements opportunities within some departments.
Very helpful staff
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Scotts Valley, CAFebruary 13, 2018
the main reason I enjoyed working at CCAH is that everybody treated each other with respect and kindness. and nobody acted like they didn't want to be there.
Pros
free food, excelent staff
Cons
long work day
March 28, 2018

Thanks for taking time to leave feedback for the Alliance. We're happy to read that your experiences here were so positive and reflective of our value of "Culture," which we define as a "respectful, diverse, professional and fun workplace." An overall sense of commitment to our mission of providing accessible quality health care guided by local innovation is ever present here at the Alliance. Thanks again, and best of luck in the future.

very clicky,
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Scotts Valley, CAFebruary 5, 2018
it's not what you know, but who you know. Friends and family are promotes first. Management are in place not because they know the business but because of seniority or relationships.
great people and mostly fun place to work
Health Education Coordinator I (Former Employee) –  Scotts Valley, CADecember 18, 2017
Working with the members was very rewarding and I very much liked most of my co-workers. It was stressful because we weren't sure what was going to happen with Medi-Cal and managed healthcare in general once there was a new administration in office. I had a difficult time getting my management to help me with my last position there. I felt that it was a job that required more than one person and they agreed, but changes came very slowly and after asking for help more than once, I decided it was time to move on.
Pros
great benefits and great people
Cons
slow to make changes
Great Culture
Reimbursement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salinas, CAAugust 11, 2017
I really enjoy the Alliance; very nice people. Occasionally things get frustrating due to the regulatory environment caused by the State of CA which make it difficult to work efficiently.
Pros
Positive Nice Environment
Cons
State of CA Regulations
Work place culture
Case Management Care Coordinator- Temp (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAMay 9, 2017
I've never worked with such a brilliant and inspiring group! The Case Management group specifically was extremely helpful, kind, and dedicated to providing all they could to the members! Its truly inspiring and promotes others to strive to do everything they can for the members of the Alliance!
March 26, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance. It sounds as if your experiences here were definitely reflective of our core values and mission.

Loved the work and the environment
Claims Technician II (Former Employee) –  Scotts Valley, CAApril 23, 2017
Tons of employee perks, fun environment, flexible schedule, steady work, thoroughly explained, decent supervision, comparable pay and benefits with opportunity to expand and grow within the company.
Pros
Great company, great benefits
Cons
Too far from home for me
March 26, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance. I'm happy to read you enjoyed your time here.

Some of the managers need serious training
Mail Coordnator (Former Employee) –  Scotts Valley, CAApril 12, 2017
Good pay, most people working there are great. There are several managers there that need SERIOUS TRAINING. Not sure why they keep these managers in place. The training is all videos and DOES NOT cover all HIPPA issues. You must be VERY quiet working here. Seems they let some employees take advantage of their relaxed system towards the work day. When trying to solve issues that arise, most managers seem to pass the buck and nothing gets resolved. It's not a bad place to work, if you can over look the above mentioned items. They do promote from within, but sometimes promote the wrong people.
Pros
good people
Cons
Not enough specific training
April 19, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for the Alliance. It’s unfortunate your time here wasn’t as positive as possible. Note that we do have extensive training opportunities in place for all employees, both staff and management, via our Learning Management System. While our required training on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) is extensive, no training can cover every issue that may arise. In this training, we focus on ensuring our employees know what is important as they complete their work. In one-off situations, it’s really best for the employee to ask questions before making choices when a member’s protected health information is potentially at risk. Simply put, when in doubt, ask. We have a knowledgeable and available Compliance department, and they are always happy to answer questions that arise. In regards to the working environment, we actually don’t have prescriptive standards around noise levels. However, if an individual is unknowingly and/or unintentionally impacting the environment in a counterproductive way, he or she will likely receive some coaching from their supervisor. Thank you again for leaving feedback for the Alliance. I truly wish you the best in your future endeavors. Scott F.

Comment – May 4, 2017

When someone is asked to fill in for another during their vacation time and HIPPA rules were NOT explained, this should fall to the manager as a learn moment, not a moment to blame the fill in person. This is a teaching moment! It's just sad that the manager is not trained enough himself to guide his staff. HIPPA is HUGE and for the comment below to just sweep it under the carpet and expect for the fill in employee to know everything about the job they are filling in for is like, trying to read minds. Even after asking questions and getting a response from a supervisor that was a green light to go ahead with the task and then blamed is shameful. Maybe extensive training / testing your manager on HIPPA rules and making sure that things are FULLY explained before the fill in person takes over the position, would be YET ANOTHER learning opportunity. Seems the manager DOES NOT know how to recognize when the learning opportunities are right in front of him, hints the need to managment training! Without this training you can not build a successful team, you will have high turnover rates and people in HR consistently during to the lack of leadership and tactics used to because the manager doesn't understand how to be a manager. It was like the deer in the headlights look, when bringing up important, and then be belittled by that manager. And the last thing an employee wants to hear is "managing this team is only 50% of my job". It was very obvious to me that he spent 50% or less on his staff.

May 16, 2017

Thank you for your follow-up comments. As stated in my original response, no training can cover every situation that may arise in regards to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). Our training provides a specific level of detail for staff to understand the importance of protecting our members' health information, and how to do so in most business situations, more formally known as "Treatment, Payment, and Operations" (or TPO). It also provides a level of awareness that employees should possess when dealing with these types of issues. We unfortunately cannot anticipate and train on every action an employee may take or every question they may have in regards to HIPAA. (That too would be an attempt at reading minds.) However, in consideration of your comments which you are clearly passionate about, I will ensure staff in your former position are aware of any higher level privacy aspects related to the duties they perform. Thanks again for your feedback.

Nice place to work. Culture is good. Management is having trouble adapting to the new size of the company.
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Scotts Valley, CAFebruary 9, 2017
Nice place to work overall.

Place has a laid-back atmosphere at first but this is misleading. HR can be difficult and vengeful.

New system is causing problems but these should subside eventually.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with employees that have been there a long time and want to run it like a small company.
Pros
Good paying job in Santa Cruz area
Cons
Small minds
April 19, 2017

Thank you for leaving feedback for the Alliance. In regards to Alliance atmosphere, note that culture is one of our seven core values. We strive for a respectful, diverse, professional and fun workplace. Our confidential employee opinion surveys indicate that overall we are succeeding in this area. In our surveys we ask staff to provide opinions and feedback on a number of areas, including teamwork, employee management relations, executive leadership, job satisfaction, staff development, performance standards and fair compensation. Our overall satisfaction rating from our December, 2015 survey was 3.94, which was a well above average rating indicating high levels of employee satisfaction. Note also that the survey module on employee management relations has been the top rated module for employee satisfaction in every employee opinion survey conducted since 2001. HR focuses on ensuring the best possible experience for staff. However, this department at times can be placed in situations where they have to deliver information that an employee may not want to hear. Your comment related to being vengeful is noted. If you feel there is an issue related to an experience you had personally with a member of the HR team that needs to be addressed, I encourage you to use our confidential disclosure hotline to report the situation, or come to me directly. Details on making a report are available on the Compliance Department page on our Intranet website. As we just went live with our new core system in October last year, we are still in the stabilization period. Your department  more... has provided avenues for you to contribute to further development and honing of this new tool. Know that you can discuss this further with your supervisor and department leadership. In regards to your interpretation of staff with small minds, it is inevitable that there will be differences of opinion in the workplace. If you have ideas or suggestions to further improve the Alliance, I encourage you to communicate those via any number of methods available to you, including our suggestion box (on the HR website), conversations with your department and division leadership, and/or coming to me directly with your ideas. I’d love to hear them. Thanks again for leaving feedback about the Alliance. Scott F.  less

Great Place!
Quality Improvement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scotts Valley, CAFebruary 8, 2017
The culture and work environment is very welcoming. Management takes interest in training, leading, and guiding the team. They understand work life balance and offer great benefits.
April 19, 2017

Thanks for your comments. We do indeed believe in investing in our valuable and talented employees. Our Learning Management System offers a variety of courses for staff to use in further developing their knowledge, skills and abilities. As you may know, we just partnered with Lynda.com, which provides Alliance employees with access to over 5,000 courses on subjects from everything to software to career development to personal interests. We're currently expanding WLB options for staff, and our benefits package is comprehensive at 35.1% of compensation. Thanks again for leaving feedback.

Great Workplace for 15 Years
Senior Financial Analyst (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CADecember 30, 2016
A very impressive Company that cares for the members and their staff with an outstanding amount of care and compassion. Always on the forefront of healthcare initiatives.
April 19, 2017

Thanks so much for your positive feedback. I'm happy YOU'RE happy. Scott F.

I couldn't make through if it wasn't for Alliance...
HEDIS QA ABSTRACTOR/ HS AUTHORIZATION COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Scotts Valley, CAJuly 20, 2016
Excellent Commpany to work for, good environment, great reviews, great benefits, great people to work with... Great career and opportunities.
April 19, 2017

Thanks so much for your positive feedback. I'm happy to read you're happy hear. Scott F.

Excellent company to work for!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scotts ValleyMay 8, 2015
I've been at the Alliance about ten years. It's a great company with a great vision and mission, and a great working environment. The benefits are amazing. Leadership is good. The company has grown a lot in the last five years, and the feeling overall is positive. The culture is very employee focused with a lot of attention paid to employee health and wellness initiatives. I'm looking forward to taking advantage of the new flexible scheduling benefit being launched soon. It's a very diverse company, with employees from all walks of life. I've been promoted several times during my time here, and I like the company overall.
Pros
Great benefits (too many to list), great office environment, solid leadership (same CEO for twenty years), casual dress code, very employee friendly/focused.
Cons
Working with State of CA is sometimes challenging. The work has become more complex over the years.
May 13, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide comments on your experiences at the Alliance. It's great to know that your time here has been both meaningful and enjoyable.

Excellent place for smart people who love healthcare and the outdoors
Compliance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Scotts Valley, CANovember 24, 2014
The Central California Alliance for Health (CCAH) is a mid-sized health plan serving the central coast and central inland areas of California. Administrators at CCAH are smart and thorough. Leadership and professional advancement are of major priority for this company.

I would highly recommend this as a place to work for someone who wants to work in healthcare and learn from some of the best to ever provide healthcare coverage to members.
Pros
Fun, cohesive, cutting-edge organization full of people who are passionate about healthcare
Cons
Compensation packages are low, benefits are expensive, far from Silicon Valley
May 13, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave comments about your time here at the Alliance. It’s wonderful that your time here was positive, and that you believed in leadership. As a point of note, salaries at the Alliance are benchmarked off similar not-for-profit public health plans throughout the state, and survey results show that our compensation is in line. We recognize that Santa Cruz County is a high cost of living area. Unfortunately, we’re not immune to high living expenses associated with the Bay Area. Annual COLAs serve to help offset local inflation. Additionally, we offer a very rich benefits package to staff, totaling an additional 35.1% in total compensation. Surveys show also that the Alliance is at or below market for medical, dental and vision insurance, meaning our employees pay less for health insurance than do others. Finally, our 401(a) retirement plan is quite healthy, offering a 10% employer match each pay-period. Thanks again for leaving your comments. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

Productive and supportive place to work for
RN - Utilization Management Department (Current Employee) –  Scotts ValleySeptember 30, 2013
Management is very supportive and provide many learning opportunities, including free continuing education courses to earn CEU's.
Pros
Free gymnasium, free fresh fruit weekly
May 13, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave comments about your time here at the Alliance. We're happy to hear your are receiving the needed support from management, and that you're enjoying our benefits.

Great Benefits - Poor Leadership
under operations (Former Employee) –  Scotts Valley, CAMay 30, 2013
Terrible leadership from the top down. Lots of clicks and people who have been there way too long and have only worked for this company. Favoritism, unprofessionalism and very poor communication.
Loved the location and beneifits.
May 13, 2015

Thank you for taking time to leave comments on your experiences at the Alliance. It’s unfortunate that your time here wasn’t more positive. In regards to leadership and tenure, 45.1% of Alliance leadership (Chief, Director, Manager) was hired after January 1 of 2011. Of that 45.1%, 47.8% were hired into new positions that were created in response to expanded programs and services, or to meet operational needs. Regarding staff tenure, the Alliance has added approximately 260 positions in order to meet our growth and expansion efforts since 2012. With that, 71.5% of our employees have been hired within the last four years. In 2014 we implemented supervisory leadership training and development encompassing Ken Blanchard’s Situational Leadership II (SLII) model. All supervisors and staff were trained on these leadership concepts in an effort to ensure situations were properly evaluated and the appropriate style of leadership applied. One of our seven corporate values is "Culture," and we strive for a respectful, diverse, professional and fun workplace. Finally, while communication seems to be a challenge at nearly every organization, our monthly employee newsletter, quarterly all-hands meetings, and regular messages from our CEO work toward ensuring our staff have the information needed to serve over 320,000 members in our service area. Thanks again for leaving your thoughts, and best of luck in future endeavors.

Good company to work for...
Health Programs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Scotts Valley, CANovember 30, 2012
If you are smart, creative, sensitive, an independent thinker, charismatic, or posse’s leadership, integrity and common sense, this may not be the place for you. Nevertheless, there is always room for those who like military-corporate rules, or adulate and never contradict the boss, even when he is mistaken.
Regardless of its mission and non-profit status, there is no job security due to the infamous "at-will" employment policy. Loyalty, seniority and professional potential equal nothing if you are not liked by the boss.
Pros
good benefits, free fruit every week, some incentives
Cons
culture of favoritism, managers lacking people an comunication skills
May 13, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave comments about your time at the Central California Alliance for Health. We certainly do recognize and appreciate intelligence, creativity, leadership, loyalty, integrity, and professionalism. At the Alliance, we value our staff and we invest in their employment and tenure with training and development programs, with “pay for performance” merit pay/reward opportunities (up to 5%), and with a very comprehensive and rich benefits package totaling 35.1% of total compensation (which includes a hefty 10% employer contribution to employee retirement accounts). You are correct in that (like most companies) we are an at-will employer, and there are times when a decision is made to separate an employee from employment due to overall poor performance, policy violation, etc. However, all aspects of individual employment decisions are carefully evaluated before implementation, and CEO review and approval occurs as part of any final end of employment result. Ours is a culture of open, honest, respectful and direct communication, and we work to communicate with an employee and provide feedback in situations where they are not fully meeting job expectations, giving them a chance to improve their work and meet minimum performance standards. It’s unfortunate that your time here wasn’t more positive. Best of luck to you in future endeavors.

Not my cup of Tea
prior authorization nurse (Former Employee) –  Scott Valley, CAAugust 30, 2011
I was terminated due to the fact the a supervisor in our department, not mine, did not like the way I re acted to a colleague and friend being fired. I was let go 2 days before my probation. Never received a write up, only talked to once regarding this incident after the fact. My supervisor said as far as she was concerned I had made my probation, but someone did not think so. I was told that the person was not my friend. When they let me go, I was told I was not a good fit and because of the previous conversation. Never called in sick, was on time and my turnaround on work was excellent. Never have been fired before.

Any company that claims to be compassionate ( and they do) and terminates someone in these economic times for a personality problem is not a place where I want to fit it. No adult conversations occurred between myself and the women with the issue. The nurses I worked with are great, the other employees are great. Management is still in the dark ages regarding many things. Was looking for a new job within 2 weeks of working there. Pays okay, hours good. Exempt, for my job no overtime. Employees great, benefits, pretty good.

At will employer can fire you for anything or nothing.
Pros
paid gym membership, pedometer incentive, inexpensive health benefits
Cons
management, unprofessionalism, at will employer
May 13, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave comments about your time at the Central California Alliance for Health. Here at the Alliance, all new employees are evaluated as part of an initial six-month introductory period. The Alliance uses this period to obtain an understanding of the employee’s overall work performance. At the end of the six-month period, an evaluation of the employee’s judgment, productivity, work quality, initiative, interpersonal relationships, etc., is completed. There are times when, based on the employee’s job performance, it’s decided that the new employee will not be transitioned from introductory employee status to regular employee status resulting in a decision to separate the employee. All aspects of these decisions are carefully evaluated before implementation, and any separation from employment requires CEO review and approval. It’s unfortunate that your time here wasn’t more positive, and it’s noted in your Indeed review of the Alliance that you were seeking employment elsewhere within two weeks of joining our team. We hope you have found a position with an employer that more closely matches your expectations. Best of luck to you in future endeavors.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central California Alliance for Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Central California Alliance for Health Reviews by Location