Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens Employee Reviews

The work is fine, but the mental abuse from management is not.
Zipline Instructor and Lead Guide (Current Employee) –  Sanford, FLSeptember 30, 2019
If you are fine with working in a place where policies and procedures are constantly changed without warning and you are yelled at for not implementing those new procedures than this is the place for you! if you enjoy being degraded, regardless of how hard of a worker you are, this is the place for you! If you like being underpaid and pushed to work harder through your own personal heat exhaustion than you should apply!

But seriously, the Aerial Adventures department is poorly treated and undervalued. We give excellent costumer service and before the degradation from the management our work ethic was great. It is such a shame that our supervisors are so bad at doing their jobs, because other than them making our lives a living "h e double hockey sticks," this job and our coworkers was great. we were a really good team, but now everyone is quitting because the low pay mixed with the toxic work environment is intolerable. Rules for us are constantly changing with no warning. We are told to fix and maintain the courses for the safety of the guests, but we are not given the supplies that we need to do so, and are told to reuse ten year old hardware. The money that should have been allocated for this supplies was used to buy less necessary helmets--you know, that will save the guests from getting hurt when they step through a rotten plank on the course. Furthermore, in six months almost ten people have quit due to the high stress caused by the supervisors, and if they decide that they don't like an employee they will cut their hours and find any excuse to yell at and degrade
  more... them. We are supposed to be a team, but are treated like disposable trash. 0/10 would not recommend.  less
Central Florida Zoo Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Orange City, FLSeptember 16, 2019
I had a really good time volunteering at the zoo. I got to talk to many people that wanted to know about different animals. I also got to learn about the animals myself.
Great workplace, friendly staff, awesome job
Zoo Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLAugust 4, 2019
I absolutely loved my time at the zoo. I worked as a Zoo Teacher and loved every second of it. I loved the summer camps, I loved the programs, I loved being hands on with the animals and getting to teach at the same time. The keepers are wonderful people who are always there to help. The managers are also a great resource and always eager to help when needed. I miss this job so much. Unfortunately the hours during the fall season simply weren't enough to be able to afford living. I absolutely loved this job though.
Not that great
Public Area Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLMarch 19, 2019
Poor management in guest services. Wouldn't go back or recommend it. No room for advancement and management lies in order to hire people. Management WILL lie about what to expect as far as wages and job description go
Great place to volunteer
Teen Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 11, 2018
I'm a teenager that wants to work with animals in my future. It's a great place to start and to get community service hours for school. I enjoy the people and animals that I work with.
Great People
Education Registrar (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLJune 30, 2018
I must say I worked with a some really wonderful and dedicated colleagues. Great open door policy I learned extensively the responsibilities of my previous role.
People Are Treated as an Expense
Managment (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLMay 8, 2018
The Central Florida Zoo seems like a really great work prospect, at first. The benefits are actually pretty good, even though the pay is not. The managers in different departments refuse to work together and collaborate, to a point where no one has any idea what it is that anyone else's job entails. If you try to assist anyone with excess time that you may have, you will receive a lecture about the "Organizational Tree" and be told to stay in your lane.
They are incredibly stringent about overtime for their hourly employees who are underpaid and begging for hours as is, and people who perform duties way above and beyond those of their peers are paid measly differentials if anything. For salaried employees, the expectations can be anywhere up to 70 hours a week at certain times of the year, with no compensation above and beyond, neither additional PTO nor bonuses.
The Director of my particular department was an absolute heaven sent, but one exceptional department head does not a workplace make. Individual interactions at the Zoo are great, but behind closed doors everyone is experiencing the same qualms, but the people in upper management are so stuck in their ways that nothing will ever change until those people retire or die.
It all comes down to communication, and the fact of the matter is, no one there is willing to do it until it's far too late, and people are quitting or other people's jobs are in jeopardy. It's so sad, because there are so many good people there and the place has so much potential, but when people refuse to change or open their eyes to certain realities,
  more... things will never get better.  less
Pros
Short Operating Hours, Benefits Packages, Working with Animals, Non-Profit
Cons
Upper Management, Pay, Working Conditions, Rigid Department Boundaries
Incredible place to work
Assistant to CEO (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLOctober 23, 2017
This was my first office job and it was the best experience. Everyone worked well together and when conflicts did arise they were dealt with in a professional manner.
Fun and Productive
MEMBERSHIP VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Sanford, FLSeptember 21, 2017
A typical day at Central Florida Zoo and Botanical Gardens is fun and relaxed.
The management is focused and kind.
Even though my work at Central Florida Zoo and Botanical Gardens is voluntary I learned my customer service experience in the Barnyard Buddies; which is much like a petting zoo.
I also worked in Administration where I folded the renewal letters for the guests that come to Central Florida Zoo and Botanical Gardens.
The workplace culture is productive and focused on the customer.
The most enjoyable part of the positions I held is teaching the customers and visitors to Central Florida Zoo and Botanical Gardens about the many different animals located in the Zoo and to make sure they keep on enjoying the Zoo for days to come.
Based on my experiences in Central Florida Zoo and Botanical Gardens I could not tell you a hard part in the positions I have held.
Pros
Fun loving and Productive.
fun place to work
President & CEO (Current Employee) –  Sanford, FLSeptember 6, 2017
its a zoo. great education programs for students and animal welfare advocates alike. Has outstanding staff and education programs for k - 12 are second to none.
Central Florida Zoo
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  DeBary, FLAugust 11, 2017
The central Florida Zoo was a pretty good work place. They had flexible work hours, they gave you and hour lunch break. The job was smooth not much stress to worry about.
Productive and Fun workplay
Barnyard Buddies Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Sanford, FLJune 6, 2017
Productive and fun is a typical day at work.
Learned much about guest experience as well as the animals located there.
Management is involved with guests and volunteers.
The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the smiling faces of the guests as they interact with the animals in the petting zoo.
Pros
Guest interaction.
good experience
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLMarch 1, 2017
overall a good experience for a first time job. learned how to deal with different types of situations for different jobs. management was ok of course you had some managers who favor certain employers and those same employers would slack off while the rest worked harder to pick up the pace. the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work around different types of animals. bad thing is if you get fired/ laid off from there you can no longer step foot on the property, i still don't understand why the CEO would have it that way but i would understand if you damaged property, steal or harm the animals/staff..
If you're seeking a positive work culture, this isn't the place.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Sanford, FLSeptember 17, 2016
The idea of working at a Zoo is amazing-- the animals get to know you and you get to touch the lives of many people on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, the fun is taken away by the higher up management. It really seems like "the powers above" are clueless, and blame their issues on every other manager. Every day, every employee is afraid of being fired for no apparent reason. It is a hostile environment where you cannot trust anyone.

The only people with nice offices are the upper level management. Every other office is moldy, humid, and every computer is at least 10 years old. You are lucky if you get a printer.
Pros
great health insurance
Cons
highly critical management, little to no resources
Productive and friendly staff
Docent (Former Employee) –  Sanford FloridaOctober 28, 2014
A typical day consisted of going in, packing the animals up and taking them to an outreach or a program in zoo. I learned a lot about how to handle a variety of animals, their different personalities, and how to care for them. Management and Co-workers were all very nice and hard working. The most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with the animals and seeing how people enjoyed learning about them.