Central Garden & Pet
Happiness rating is 49 out of 100

Central Garden & Pet Employee Reviews

For the most part is a good place to work. There are many people that have been working there for a long time (>25yrs), but quite a turnover for the newer people = retention issues. Depending on the group you end up with, some have a lot of fun dynamic people, other are stagnant and with lots of "cliques". Pretty standard benefits, yearly pay increases by merit, promotions are not frequent and no clear path to growth. Good opportunities to learn, especially for self-starters (but you kind of have to be advocating for yourself otherwise you're pretty much left on your own)
Pros
dynamic, fun people, good learning
Cons
cliques, slow promotion
I do not recommend this job even to my worst enemy. All the company and management care about is the bottom dollar. They will work you as much as they can, without any concerns of overall well being of their employees. Have you work at ridiculous hours without notice, but deny vacation requests due to short notice.
Pros
Cons
Management, Pay, Hours, Benefits
March 24, 2021
We take pride in offering a positive work culture and we are sorry that your experience was not positive. While many companies are struggling during this pandemic, we’ve experienced unprecedented volume. However, overtime is always/has always been posted with advanced notice. To ease overtime burden, we offered several solutions such as offering alternating schedules, offering premium pay/bonus for voluntary weekend work, and we’ve updated our pay structure to attract new hires as we expand shifts. Central also offers a great benefit package with a generous amount of paid time off. On occasion a vacation request is denied, but every effort is made to ensure employees are able to use paid time off when they need it. If your request was denied, your manager would have discussed the specific reason with you. We would be happy to further discuss your concerns. Please contact kninmer@central.com if you would like to speak to Human Resources.
It was an okay job. As a sales rep/merchandiser there were no incentives to make more money. A lot of driving, days not balanced on work load. You are in charge of yourself
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Too much driving. No incentives.
March 13, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our merchandisers do have flexibility in their schedules which allows them to manage their own time.
the best place to be if u love pets they are a easy company to deal with . I would recommend to you only if u are ready to put in dedication and work.
January 18, 2021
Thank you for writing your review. We provide a good work environment and love our hard working employees!
The new management is horrible the only way u are able to advance is if you become friends with management our manager hired all his friends for all the best open positions. While people who fought to get into positions get overlooked
January 12, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We value and appreciate your input and our management team works very hard to build relationships with all employees. My apologies if you perceived these relationships to be personal or biased. Please note that HR has an open-door policy and we work with management to address employee concerns if given the opportunity. You may reach out to recruiting@central.com if you would like to speak to our corporate Human Resources department to discuss your experience.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Travel to different stores, complete assigned task, work with store associates. Most stores are very understanding and help with any issues like finding product.
Pros
Flexibility, able to work independently, 401k, managers and hr respond immediately
Cons
Working outside could be a con if you do not fair well with the changing weather
January 7, 2021
We love our merchandisers and rely on them to be the face of Central at the retail stores. Thank you for all you do!
Communication and support from Corporate to the Distribution Center is poor . Corporate or HR does not cover your back . You follow what is asked but then when something happens it is not explained , improper investigation behind the root of the problem
Pros
Direct hire employees where very good
Cons
Too many temps who liked to make there own schedule
January 7, 2021
Our managers set the tone for the employees in our locations and we rely on them to address concerns as they come up. We do try to hire employees as direct hires whenever we can.
9 Years of service and finally had enough of the back stabbing management and the HR department that protects them. STAY AWAY!!! They use you up and then turn on you when you finally stand up for yourself. Toxic!!
Benefits
Cons
Everything elce
January 7, 2021
Your comments are concerning and do not reflect our business. Please reach out to recruiting@central.com if you would like to speak to Sr. HR regarding your concerns.
Work is very fast paced, easy, and simple. Time flies when working in this place and the environment is great! Pay could be a little better especially with today's economy though.
Pros
Teamwork, Overtime, and a great working environment.
Cons
Don't have one...yet
January 7, 2021
Thank you for the positive feedback! We have made some recent changes to pay in Sacramento.
Stay clear of this company, especially the Elgin location.. Management is trash and several reports have been made against the plant supervisor by MANY employees and Temps to no avail. Turnover rate is atrocious and the lack of moral within the building is the worst I have EVER seen.
Cons
No lunch only 2 fifteen minute breaks terrible management
January 7, 2021
We are sorry that your experience has not been positive. We have made a management change and are committed to improvements in this facility.
Very poor management.Poor working conditionsLow wagesMicro managedAway from home many nights per weekPoor trainingThe company seems to want every last drop of blood out of you
January 7, 2021
Your comments are concerning and not what we want to hear from our employees. If you want to be put in touch with HR, please contact recruiting@central.com.
Job was a joke,had to hit 80 hrs to see decent pay.no advancement just a dead end job.management dumb as a box of rocks.no! i dont need yo sa HRTeam
Pros
Cons
meaningless safety talk just to get u fired.
January 7, 2021
We have recently added a tiering system and shift differential for the Dallas location to provide additional compensation which rewards those employees who want to move into higher responsibility positions.
The negativity in this place is shocking. The training is so bad you will have a hard time. Two weeks or your out. They talk about people behind their backs. A few nice people In mgmt but the wannabes will just Harass you when no ones listening. You’ll learn about how unhappy everyone is in the break room. Spare yourself the time, go get a job elsewhere.
Pros
Good work life balance. There are great possibilities.
Cons
The staff will belittle you, they don’t like new people. Bullies.
November 15, 2020
Thank you for providing feedback. We have a robust AP training program that has a high success rate. We make every effort to have new hires be operational as soon as possible by providing dedicated one-on-one training for the first four days and one-on-one support following. Our systems are complex and there is a lot to learn so our trainers have frequent discussions during the onboarding process to determine readiness and address individual needs. We are sorry that this was not the right fit for you and wish you the best in your future career path.
I really didn't like working here.from the start but stayedNo hours promises or any help with loading things in back stockroomI can't say anything more but i
November 15, 2020
You may have made this comment for the wrong employer - we do not have cashier positions or a stockroom.
Company was awesome, however, recent upper level management changes are drastically changing the company atmosphere. Job cuts, while numbers are still good, employee engagement is dropping at a steady pace. When given the opportunity to set you up for success and training, the support would prefer to replace than train.
Pros
Lots of lunches, casual atmosphere
Cons
Lack of direction, division amongst teams
November 16, 2020
Thank you for your review. Central, like many companies, has had to make some changes in response to channel shifts as we pivot to more online sales. I'm sorry this impacted you and wish you the best of luck in your next endeavor!
Management doesn't know how to effectively communicate at all. They are back words when it comes to issues about loss and productivity. They could really make a name for them self if they planned better and hired more Merchandisers and relied less on 3 party companies with zero super vision of what and how they do stuff.
Pros
No super vision
Cons
Management just doesnt care about anything.
November 2, 2020
Our merchandising team has been super busy during Covid and we appreciate all of the work they do. Please share your feedback with HR or your manager so your concerns can be addressed.
Central Garden and pet is a great company to work for. The schedule is very flexible. They are very family oriented. It's a Monday through Friday work week.
October 5, 2020
Thank you for the great feedback! Our merchandisers in both our Pet and Garden groups are very important to ensure product is displayed properly and customer needs are met. The job does offer some flexibility which many of our employees appreciate. Keep up the good work!
Just not a very good place to work. Managers didn’t know HR policies very well. Would have to drive sometime up to two hours to work site and expected to get there in a certain amount of time not accounting for any situation that occurs on the road that were out of your control. Examples traffic, construction accidents. Pay didn’t equal the amount of gas and eventual maintenance on your own personal vehicle that you have to use. Seniority people get the closer routes and stores while newcomers have to take to the far drives. During my notice management and hr tone completely changed to a attitude towards everything. Just not a good place to work.
Pros
None that I had
Cons
Management, Hr, coverage, distance, pay etc etc
October 5, 2020
Our merchandisers are very important and help ensure customer needs are met and product is available. If you would like to talk about your specific situation, please contact us at recruiting@central.com.
When your told to “Just do the job and I will take care of your hours” and then they turn on you... that’s a lack of motivation from manager to employee. The manager in this region real cares more about time on a golf course then actually talking to you. Work itself and the stores are awesome. Lack of work is disturbing and they want you to just SIT AROUND.
Pros
Stores and work
Cons
Managment is not great
October 5, 2020
Working as a merchandiser in our Pet or Garden businesses gives employees an opportunity to interact directly with customers and have a positive impact on sales. The flexible work schedule is also appealing to many employees. If you would like to discuss your specific situation, we would like to hear from you at recruiting@central.com.
The one in Athens texas was a joke to work for if you got sick the but on cig duets and trash pick up and to top it off the called me a thief but at the end of the day they stole over 300 dollar of my personal tools because they don't provide tool for maintenance me. To top it off the leadership of maintenance department never got off there butts or get dirty
Pros
I left the place
June 16, 2020
We’re sorry things didn’t work out, but appreciate the feedback. Expectations should have been set during the recruiting/interview process around job duties and personal vs. company provided tools and equipment. I will reach out to the hiring manager to ensure this is made clear for future candidates.
management lacks understanding of providing support and disregard concerns voiced by employee. not a good place to work for career advancement. stay as far away as you can. wasted of time and your future.
June 16, 2020
We are very sorry to hear this about your experience at Central Pet Distribution. We value all our current and former employees’ feedback so we would be happy to learn more about what specifically it is that prompted your review and your recommendation on how we can improve. Please feel free to contact us at ecarr@central.com.