Central Intelligence Agency logo
Central Intelligence Agency

Central Intelligence Agency Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location.
Not your desired location?Choose a different one

Central Intelligence Agency insights

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things

good place to work

I would file answer phones make books, The management was good to me the coworkers were fun to work with

Pros

benfits

Cons

stress from filing (self bought on)

Job security

An opportunity to serve your country and provide for your future in great Retirement benefits. The Agency is forward thinking in many ways and strives to advance diversity.

Don't ever say you can't!!

From a small town on the Florida Panhandle to the Nation's capital!! If I can do it, ANYBODY can do it.. It's scary to think about being such a small slice of a HUGE pie but being employed to assist in keeping our nation secure has been the most rewarding job I've done so far.. We'll see what the future holds!!

Very good place to work

In the agency you are given the opportunity to learn many different things After being accepted into the agency you are allow to apply for all types of jobs

Depending on your office/location; environment could be very toxic or enjoyable.

The agency is one of the most renowned organizations in the world; as such, I felt proud as a staff employee each time I walked through those halls. However, the culture could be very political and lacked diversity in many areas. While one may have fulfilled all of their requirements to reach a certain level; there still remained a hint of "not belonging", given the lack of diversity. The agency offers excellent training, travel, and a plethora of opportunity for advancement as long as you apply yourself. However, be careful whom you trust in terms of management and do not make any mistakes, because if you don't fall within a certain click... it may be your last. The old adage certainly applies with this agency; "Its not what you know, but who you know".

Rewarding place to work.

A great work environment overall. Excellent management and plenty of opportunities to work abroad. You can taylor your career to fit your interests.

Good people and good mission

Good to work there. People know the mission and as individuals and as teams, want to get the mission done. Many types of personalities so it's a challenge to make sure you know what type you are working for. Just a learning experience in people as well as the job itself

Pros

Could be a full career for some

Cons

some locations are far so bad commute

Excellent work place

Central Intelligence Agency is a nice place to work. They promote work life balance. I would recommend this Agency to anyone has a good work ethics’s. I’ve been With this agency for 12 years and plan on staying until I can retire.

Pros

Excellent benefits

Cons

N/a

Amazing place to work.

This is an amazing place to work, with talented and dedicated public servants. I would encourage anyone with a desire to work in the intelligence community to consider the CIA.

Fantastic Agency

I enjoyed working all the overtime with diverse employees. It was technically my first job and had to relocate to Long Beach, California. I wish I could work there again!

Jobs at Central Intelligence Agency

See more jobs

Love it

This is a great agency to work for. I have loved being a part of the family here. The experience I have gained and the connections I have made will not he forgotten.

Pros

Great working environment, with some of the most brilliant minds in the world.

Cons

Too much traffic getting here.

Great place to work - many opportunities.

Overall, CIA is a great place to work. There are many opportunities to excel, and to use the talents that you bring to the job. There is also the advantage of knowing that you are serving and helping your country every day. A typical day at work depends on the nature of your job. I was an office worker, and my job was the same as it would be at any large company. However, I won't mention what my work was about. I will say that I learned a lot, being privileged to travel to several places. In a few of them, my family was allowed to come and visit. This enhanced my daughter's education a great deal, and she and my husband got to sight-see and have quality time together while I was at work. Workplace culture was mostly good, but does depend upon the nature of one's departmental management. The hardest part of the job was learning secretarial duties, as I had not previously been one. However, since I don't have any college, it was the job that I had to come into. I was able to catch on quickly, and because of the wonderful people I was assisting, I enjoyed that first assignment a lot. After completing my first year, I was able to move to a higher position. However, I also worked in other secretarial jobs through the years, depending upon my goals at the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to travel, and to move periodically to different jobs and learn types of work.

Pros

Variable hours, interesting work - I would recommend working at CIA to anyone, the rewards are many.

Cons

Departmental management determines the culture of each office.

We had the opportunity to change occupations with each position

Typical day - go to work, make coffee, open mail, check any phone calls. Update and print calendars and distribute. The hardest part was not being able to talk about my job with family and friends. The most enjoyable part was actually being a part of a process and team.

Pros

Opportunities

Cons

n/a

nice place to work

So many years I worked for this company so something must be right about them, lot of different types of events great people that I have became friends with over the years, I really enjoyed my time with the company while there

Pros

benfits

Cons

lack of manager skills there

Toxic Environment STAY AWAY

Current employee, have seen a lot of dirty things. Terrible corruption going on in the senior ranks--either your on board or kiss your career good bye. This tribal mentality is often joked about among the working ranks and compared to being voted off the island in the TV series Survivor. Makes it very toxic and causes good people to put their ethics aside and look the other way in order to keep their careers. I joined like most as a patriotic American defending my country against terrorists or hostile adversarial countries. The management cares little about the mission and are solely focus on maintaining their positions/careers or filing their pockets. They frequently hold up the sacrifices of its hard working and patriotic staff as an example of their commitment to country --don't believe it. Go get a good job with Apple, Google, SpaceX, or some good tech firm.

Pros

Good travel, sense of serving your country.

Cons

Corruption, toxic and hostile work environment, sexual harassment.

Security Protective Service

I am a federal police officer. I control access and egress at a gate. I watch CCTV monitors and control access inside access to authorized personel. I am a mobile patrol and ensure the surrounding area is secure.

Great opportunity

Great, unique opportunity to serve the intelligence community and Federal government in various capacities. An opportunity to serve a greater purpose.

Serving the frontline of your nation

An unbelievable place to work with plenty of opportunities to advance the mission of protecting to the United States of America. Everyone is mission focused and has the best interest of the US in mind.

First job out of college; excellent experience

CIA was a real good job as I learned the "tradecraft" of being a Securty generalist. (Personnel, Physical, COMSEC, Training Instructor. Highlight was supporting the DCI's Counterterrorism Center right after the 911 attack.

Pros

Learned IC Security with varied assignments.

Cons

After 17 years, I decided to leave and go contract. After the DCI Counterterrorism role, I took a hard look at career advancement.

Cia

Excellent Job. Many benefits, Team work, the ability to continue your education. The hardest part of the job was to write a par. It is hard to brag on yourself for some people and I am one of those people. I got to travel with other team mates and to make a difference.

Pros

too many to name

Cons

commute

after 22 years it was time to go

I did some great things there, and something I didn't support nor prefer. It was time to go. Which is whey I spoke to highly of doing business development for Knowledge systems and helping them grow.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Intelligence Agency. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3

Ratings from women

2.5
InHerSight Score
3.8Personal Development
2.0Career Opportunities
1.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Central Intelligence Agency with

Central Intelligence Agency Reviews by Location

Learn about Central Intelligence Agency in popular locations

See all Central Intelligence Agency locations
  • Central Intelligence Agency
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?