Central Intelligence Agency Employee Reviews

Nah
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  MultipleMarch 24, 2019
Watch out for those SISers. Some, not all, are snobs and belittle you. If you dont follow their commands, they will not give you a good yearly review. It is very cut throat. For the price they pay you, impossible to survive the NOVA cost of living.

If you are lucky enough to get an overseas assignment, you are golden.
Pros
Benefits, mandatory classes
Cons
Starting pay, location, higher ups
Best place to work
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 18, 2019
Best Place to work, when fantastic opportunities to grow professionally and Individually. Family oriented organization. Dai work is challenged with new opportunities to make decision and interact with deferent levels of management.
Pros
Unique place to work
Enjoyed my 25 years working at the CIA
Logistics and Property Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 10, 2019
Working at the CIA allowed me an opportunity to work with the finest and most dedicated people in defense of our country and allowed me to travel all over the world.
a unique atmosphere
Administrative Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 31, 2019
...a completely distinctly unique environment with many ambitious people looking to compete for limited opportunities for advancement. otherwise great benefits!
Pros
benefits, travel
Cons
resource management
nice place to work
Catering & Events Manager, Sodexo (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAJanuary 13, 2019
So many years I worked for this company so something must be right about them, lot of different types of events great people that I have became friends with over the years, I really enjoyed my time with the company while there
Pros
benfits
Cons
lack of manager skills there
Toxic Environment STAY AWAY
Program Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 26, 2018
Current employee, have seen a lot of dirty things. Terrible corruption going on in the senior ranks--either your on board or kiss your career good bye. This tribal mentality is often joked about among the working ranks and compared to being voted off the island in the TV series Survivor. Makes it very toxic and causes good people to put their ethics aside and look the other way in order to keep their careers. I joined like most as a patriotic American defending my country against terrorists or hostile adversarial countries. The management cares little about the mission and are solely focus on maintaining their positions/careers or filing their pockets. They frequently hold up the sacrifices of its hard working and patriotic staff as an example of their commitment to country --don't believe it. Go get a good job with Apple, Google, SpaceX, or some good tech firm.
Pros
Good travel, sense of serving your country.
Cons
Corruption, toxic and hostile work environment, sexual harassment.
Wonderful place to work
Political Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 21, 2018
Main reason for leaving was the need to relocate to the West Coast. Great culture. Hard working, really smart colleagues. Could not recommend public service enough.
Security Protective Service
Police Officer II (Current Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 19, 2018
I am a federal police officer. I control access and egress at a gate. I watch CCTV monitors and control access inside access to authorized personel. I am a mobile patrol and ensure the surrounding area is secure.
Great opportunity
Logistics Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Langley, VADecember 9, 2018
Great, unique opportunity to serve the intelligence community and Federal government in various capacities. An opportunity to serve a greater purpose.
Excellent Place to Work
Director Learning Tradecraft (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 27, 2018
An excellent place to work for someone who is committed to serving the country. The dedication of the workforce is commendable, and the working conditions are wonderful.
Pros
Commitment to the mission
Cons
Serving the frontline of your nation
Deputy Team Chief, Directorate of Operations (Current Employee) –  Langley, VANovember 26, 2018
An unbelievable place to work with plenty of opportunities to advance the mission of protecting to the United States of America. Everyone is mission focused and has the best interest of the US in mind.
Great Experience
Video Production Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20505November 26, 2018
Served my country and gained valuable skills in an interesting and stimulating environment. Would recommend the experience to anyone who loves this country.
First job out of college; excellent experience
Security Generalist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 9, 2018
CIA was a real good job as I learned the "tradecraft" of being a Securty generalist. (Personnel, Physical, COMSEC, Training Instructor. Highlight was supporting the DCI's Counterterrorism Center right after the 911 attack.
Pros
Learned IC Security with varied assignments.
Cons
After 17 years, I decided to leave and go contract. After the DCI Counterterrorism role, I took a hard look at career advancement.
Awesomeness
Contracting Officer Representative (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2018
Phenomenal mission
Ability to collaborate with Senior management daily
Amazing training courses
Travel opportunities to multiple countries
Networking with all levels to build your knowledge of the intelligence community
Pros
Benefits, colleagues are like family members
Cons
Promotion panels
Still has a Glass Ceiling problem
Program Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2018
I started at CIA when being a woman there was a challenge. Most of the women were secretaries or clerks and professional women were given a hard time by the "good ole boys club". The culture was ripe for change and it was changing but not fast enough for my career. I had to work twice as hard to achieve the same advancement as the men and if I got any recognition I was accused of being someone's mistress. When I left they sent a senior official to find out if I was planning a discrimination suit because there were already three in progress. I Have heard that it is not quite as bad as it was but it will always be a male-focused culture.
Pros
great career path
Cons
Man's world culture
I have learned that national security is important
Information Research Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Headquarters, WASeptember 11, 2018
I would work for CIA anytime, you can go to school and learn and they pay for it. you have class to teach you new systems. you get incentive pay, promotions are great
Cons
Special Agent/Specialized Skills Officer -CI (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 20, 2018
As a staff employee, I enjoyed the mission of the CIA and recommend the work to anyone that would like to give more to their country. If you can over-look some of the mid-level management lack of leadership skill you will enjoy a solid career.
Cia
Special Assistant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 14, 2018
Excellent Job. Many benefits, Team work, the ability to continue your education.
The hardest part of the job was to write a par. It is hard to brag on yourself for some people and I am one of those people. I got to travel with other team mates and to make a difference.
Pros
too many to name
Cons
commute
Great opportunities for advancement
Mission Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 16, 2018
Great pay, excellent job security, many opportunities to try different jobs. Travel opportunities. Great facilities with restaurants and gyms. Lots of holidays and time off.
Competitive work place
Investigator, Office of Inspector General (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 10, 2018
There is a very competitive atmosphere at this organization. It is exciting to be at the leading edge of protecting the country, but make sure you actively manage your work/home life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Intelligence Agency. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3