Central Intelligence Agency
Happiness rating is 75 out of 100

Central Intelligence Agency Employee Reviews

United States181 reviews

good place to work

I would file answer phones make books, The management was good to me the coworkers were fun to work with

Pros

benfits

Cons

stress from filing (self bought on)

Very productive work environment. Feeling of accomplishing for your country.

I went to work there as retired military. I recall being told once the Agency is as close to a military unit as any other agency which was true. You felt you were accomplishing something every day for your country. In my job I had the distinct feeling that I was protecting those I worked with. This gave me a great deal of satisfaction. Traveling the world was a plus, and the people you met & worked with has been a great memory.

Central Intelligence Agency insights

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things

Challenging but life-changing position

It was an amazing internship. I started out doing odd errands and that expanded into office desk work. While, I CANNOT give more details into my assignments than this, I am grateful for the opportunity. Unfortunately, there's not much career advancement unless you're a legacy hire.

Pros

Great benefits, plenty of assignments, attentive supervisors, free lunches

Cons

Nepotism

Learn and grow professionally

Great benefits and job security. Opportunity for advancement and training. Benefits package is great and many opportunities to travel if you want to travel.

Mission driven orgq

Had great experiences here supporting a mission I believed in. If you're an analyst or passionate about supporting US gov't mission, you'll be happy here.

Pros

Strong focus on mission, opportunities to travel and grow professionally

Cons

Rigid, archaic government thinking, the old guard needs to retire so that new perspectives and culture can take shape.

Great place to work.

Worked there for 37 years. Loved the work and people. Proud to support our country. Great opportunity for advancement and travel. Team environment.

Missing the Agency

Wish i had never left. The agency was a place that allowed employees a lot of creative flexibilty and offered much roomnto advance or transfer to otjer positions. Learning languages was promoted as well as continuing education.

Pros

Mission driven and really smart people

Cons

No cell phones in the building

Stressful; bias

Stressful environment ; horrible management; bias Does not value the talented experienced employees they haveUnfair promotions / discriminationLarge turnover due to discrimination and payOver worked and under paid

National security at the highest level

Dedicated professionals addressing the questions policy makers need answered. Having the trust an confidence to make decisions and learn from honest mistakes.

Pros

Insight to what matters for our government and security.

Cons

Some questions have no answers.

Interesting Working Environment

You build a sense of purpose and pride associating with others in the agency. At the end of the day, it's still a government job with bureaucratic nuance. Hollywood definitely creates an unrealistic stigma surrounding the environment.

Job security

An opportunity to serve your country and provide for your future in great Retirement benefits. The Agency is forward thinking in many ways and strives to advance diversity.

the job was great they give free coffie and donuts

the job was great they teach you hand to hand combat and firearms train and it saved my life lots of times and i feel good when i go to work and love

Pros

respect for you

Cons

sort breaks

they give you the respect you need

It was a Honor to work here the pay is great. they treat you with respect and love. I think this is the best intelligence agency. they teach us combat combat saved my life once.

Pros

they give you respect

Cons

only short breaks

No And no

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Central Intelligence Agency is goidPay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at Central Intelligence Agency are good

Great purpose, lousy management

The goals of the CIA ARE unique and make you proud to serve that being said, management discriminates if you disagree, practices favoritism and discriminates against immigrants — cannot really trust their loyalty The counter intelligence chief briefs this to all incoming operations officers.

Pros

A privilege to serve

Cons

Favoritism is widespread.

Don't ever say you can't!!

From a small town on the Florida Panhandle to the Nation's capital!! If I can do it, ANYBODY can do it.. It's scary to think about being such a small slice of a HUGE pie but being employed to assist in keeping our nation secure has been the most rewarding job I've done so far.. We'll see what the future holds!!

Great place to work.

Great place to work. Excellent mission, always relevant, new challenges everyday. Further information cannot be provided due to privacy/classification issues.

Very good place to work

In the agency you are given the opportunity to learn many different things After being accepted into the agency you are allow to apply for all types of jobs

Depending on your office/location; environment could be very toxic or enjoyable.

The agency is one of the most renowned organizations in the world; as such, I felt proud as a staff employee each time I walked through those halls. However, the culture could be very political and lacked diversity in many areas. While one may have fulfilled all of their requirements to reach a certain level; there still remained a hint of "not belonging", given the lack of diversity. The agency offers excellent training, travel, and a plethora of opportunity for advancement as long as you apply yourself. However, be careful whom you trust in terms of management and do not make any mistakes, because if you don't fall within a certain click... it may be your last. The old adage certainly applies with this agency; "Its not what you know, but who you know".

Rewarding place to work.

A great work environment overall. Excellent management and plenty of opportunities to work abroad. You can taylor your career to fit your interests.

Evaluacion de la empresa

Me parece una buena empresa donde se brinda las mejores opciones

Common questions about Central Intelligence Agency

Answered by current and former employees at Central Intelligence Agency

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Intelligence Agency. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.5
InHerSight Score
3.8Personal Development
2.0Career Opportunities
1.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight