Central Intelligence Agency Employee Reviews

First job out of college; excellent experience
Security Generalist (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAOctober 9, 2018
CIA was a real good job as I learned the "tradecraft" of being a Securty generalist. (Personnel, Physical, COMSEC, Training Instructor. Highlight was supporting the DCI's Counterterrorism Center right after the 911 attack.
Pros
Learned IC Security with varied assignments.
Cons
After 17 years, I decided to leave and go contract. After the DCI Counterterrorism role, I took a hard look at career advancement.
Awesomeness
Contracting Officer Representative (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2018
Phenomenal mission
Ability to collaborate with Senior management daily
Amazing training courses
Travel opportunities to multiple countries
Networking with all levels to build your knowledge of the intelligence community
Pros
Benefits, colleagues are like family members
Cons
Promotion panels
Still has a Glass Ceiling problem
Program Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2018
I started at CIA when being a woman there was a challenge. Most of the women were secretaries or clerks and professional women were given a hard time by the "good ole boys club". The culture was ripe for change and it was changing but not fast enough for my career. I had to work twice as hard to achieve the same advancement as the men and if I got any recognition I was accused of being someone's mistress. When I left they sent a senior official to find out if I was planning a discrimination suit because there were already three in progress. I Have heard that it is not quite as bad as it was but it will always be a male-focused culture.
Pros
great career path
Cons
Man's world culture
I have learned that national security is important
Information Research Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Headquarters, WASeptember 11, 2018
I would work for CIA anytime, you can go to school and learn and they pay for it. you have class to teach you new systems. you get incentive pay, promotions are great
Cons
Special Agent/Specialized Skills Officer -CI (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 20, 2018
As a staff employee, I enjoyed the mission of the CIA and recommend the work to anyone that would like to give more to their country. If you can over-look some of the mid-level management lack of leadership skill you will enjoy a solid career.
Cia
Special Assistant (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 14, 2018
Excellent Job. Many benefits, Team work, the ability to continue your education.
The hardest part of the job was to write a par. It is hard to brag on yourself for some people and I am one of those people. I got to travel with other team mates and to make a difference.
Pros
too many to name
Cons
commute
Great opportunities for advancement
Mission Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 16, 2018
Great pay, excellent job security, many opportunities to try different jobs. Travel opportunities. Great facilities with restaurants and gyms. Lots of holidays and time off.
Competitive work place
Investigator, Office of Inspector General (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 10, 2018
There is a very competitive atmosphere at this organization. It is exciting to be at the leading edge of protecting the country, but make sure you actively manage your work/home life.
Na
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  WMAJune 19, 2018
Check out external sources for more information on working for this Agency and supporting protecting the agency. Posting is not allowed without formal approval reviews can not post - NA
Was a certifying officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 7, 2018
It was a great work environment. The people were great. There were a lot of short deadlines. There were benefits like time in your day to exercise. With the short deadlines it could be stressful.
Pros
Gym
Cons
Stressful
Excellent Mission and People
Senior Staff PM (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 7, 2018
Excellent place to serve our country. Managing projects and people to corporate and mission expectations requires extreme attention to detail, commitment to collaboration (no working in a vacuum), and utmost integrity. Love the work, people and mission.
Pros
Mission focus
Cons
low pay
Productivity in a Challenging /environment
Special Skills Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington D.C.May 31, 2018
An excellent organization to work for. We are mission driven and operational objectives are often achieved through a variety of means. Workplace is fast paced and challenging also very rewarding. The work culture is collaborative and focus is on team work. The most enjoyable part of the job is the shared success of a well planned strategic operation. A typical day at work involves reading morning incoming messages, followed by daily briefings.
Pros
excellent and supportive management
Cons
work/life sometimes is difficult to balance to due ops tempo
Poor managers. Advancement not based on performance but longevity.
GOVERNMENT STAFF OFFICER (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMay 28, 2018
Poor culture. Not open to better business practices. Some managers should never be given responsibility. Bright young staff officers are not promoted early, but when "their time comes'. Just because the agency has done something the same way for decades doesn't mean it's right. Not open to changes and improvements.
Pros
Exciting job
Cons
Management/bureacracy
after 22 years it was time to go
Chief, Group in the Counterterrorism Center (Former Employee) –  Langley VAMay 22, 2018
I did some great things there, and something I didn't support nor prefer. It was time to go. Which is whey I spoke to highly of doing business development for Knowledge systems and helping them grow.
Positive Experience
Contracting Officer (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMay 19, 2018
Very fast paced contract environment. Training provided. Promotion opportunities. Leadership opportunities. Varied of assignments and diverse experiences available.
Federal Work
Executive /Senior Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 22, 2018
Good benefits and pay eventually. Most jobs are in DC so more opportunities if you are willing to move back east. Screening process can be long depending if you need a clearance.
Had a great career at the CIA.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 22, 2018
Worked in many positions while at the CIA. Enjoyed each one of them. Mostly Admin positions. Would recommend any one to work there. One of my favorite places to work.
Pros
A great place to work.
Okay
Analyst (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAApril 12, 2018
High cost of living area, moderate pay. Exciting work. Not enough time to focus on work, feels as if more time is spent on admin and non-work than actual work, and advancement is linked to pseudo-management type activities, not quality production.
I enjoyed working for the Agency (CIA) as an analyst and intelligence recruiter and computer operator.
Intelligence Analyst & Personnel Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 4, 2018
During the time there, at CIA, minority advancements were slow, however, today, I'm sure the place is different in a new America.
CIA has some interesting jobs relating to National Security concerns.
Pros
Interesting work assignments and jobs
Cons
Diversity Issues
It's the government
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 29, 2018
Not many people are motivated to do much more than build their own kingdom. Mission is always second to career advancement. Management is either incompetent or toxic bullies.