Central Michigan University Pay & Benefits reviews

Good Part Time Job
READING ROOM ASSISTANT, CLARKE HISTORICAL LIBRARY (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIOctober 22, 2018
Good part time job if you're a student looking for a job on campus. Most places are very flexible with your schedule, and work around that. Schedule changes every semester to accommodate schedule changes.
Cuttrhoat work environment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MISeptember 12, 2018
As part of a graduate program, I was offered a Graduate Assistantship. The compensation was for 20 hours per week, but I often found myself working in excess of 30 hours with no way to increase compensation. The work environment within my department was toxic and everyone was only interested in themselves.
People didn't care
Concession Stand Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MISeptember 10, 2018
Working on campus was not a great thing it was just a job to have. The people that you worked with only cared about themselves and if you needed time off it was hard for you to get. You only get paid minimum wage which is just a little bit of pocket money.
Easygoing workplace with less ideal hours, but still time to study or use computer.
Beddow Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIAugust 14, 2018
This was an enjoyable job with time allowing often to study or work on homework. Short shifts, but living in the dorms made it an easy job to be good at, whether 4pm or 4am. The management was very friendly and good character. We were well taken care of and the schedule was flexible. Shifts could be switched and swapped with little issue. schedule set at beginning of term or semester, then you must swap out any for vacations and related things that you need days off for. Sleep cycle kind of disrupted, but during college that was okay for me.
Pros
Homework, studying, socializing, friendly role, short shifts
Cons
not many benefits, minimum wage, awkward hours, short shifts
central michigan
Dietetic Internship (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIAugust 3, 2018
unpaid dietetic internship, wonderful experience. Regular 8 hour days, wonderful professors and managers, nice workplace culture. I was unpaid so that was probably the hardest part with living expenses.
Temp
TEMPORARY OFFICE PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, MIJune 19, 2018
I worked as a temp, and it was pretty decent. The hours were good, but the department I was in was frequently very busy, and they could have used a little more help.
CMU Help Desk
Information Technology Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJune 1, 2018
This job rules. The hours are reasonable. Pay is good. Opportunity for raises are frequent. Management is amazing. Atmosphere is relaxed, but entirely professional.
Pros
good management
Cons
customers are mean sometimes
Terrible management
Fixed Term Faculty (Current Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, MIMarch 22, 2018
Upper management provides ambiguous directives, poor communication, low support, and lacks accountability. They have a superior attitude to lower level employees and believe they are always right.
On the plus side, the students are great to work with everyday.
Pros
Great benefits if you can maintain a consistent contract.
Cons
Lack of support.
Terrible place to work.
Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMarch 7, 2018
Management was terrible, and treated people poorly. The CMU help desk paid people very low wages, and there was no time off and no benefits. The manager was a jerk.
Good job for college student
Dining Hall Shift Supervisor/Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJanuary 22, 2018
It was a decent job for a college student. The pay was minimum and the hours were low.
Clean environment
Professional staff
Well trained supervisors
Provided meals for staff
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIDecember 8, 2017
I was over worked and underpaid. But I was on scholarship, so I can't really complain. I would work for professors most of the time. I did have a side job as a apartment manager. That helped keep expenses low. CMU is a standard University.
Good I can rate 4.5/5
Research Assistant/DEVELOPER (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIDecember 5, 2017
Good to work flexible hours.
Agile methodology.
Regular scrum calls.
Work from home.
Dealing with data is fun.
free recreation pass.
Free entertainment, spa, pool etc..
Fun & Laid Back
ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY (Current Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, MIOctober 13, 2017
Working for CMU has greatly reduced my stress levels compared to other jobs I have worked. The only downside is it is hard to get a position that pays a livable wage, despite experience and educational background.
Enjoyable to work for
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJuly 7, 2017
Enjoyable to work there, however little they could do to offer job security or mobility when positions close. Lots of after hours bonding time along with very negotiable hours.
Student Athlete Tutor & TA
Teachers Assistant & Student-Athlete Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJune 30, 2017
Athletes hardly ever showed up, TAing for classes was so fun, most professors give you a decent amount of work and do not mind how many hours you work as long as your job gets done,
CMU provided opportunities for not only professional growth, but also individual growth.
Collections Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 20, 2017
CMU is a wonderful place to work whether you are a temp, full time worker, part time employee, or a student worker. CMU benefits are incredible and show how much they truly care about their workers as individuals.
Compliance
Compliance Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIFebruary 20, 2017
CMU Compliance is a great department to work for within CMU athletics. I very much enjoyed my time learning all of the in's and out's of the compliance department.
Pros
Work Environment
Cons
Compensation
Good place and great people
IT Expert (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJanuary 25, 2017
As a student employee, this is a good place to work with good wages and it is really nice that I meet new people every day as part of my work schedule.
Great place to o work, nice people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Receivable accountingDecember 27, 2016
Loved working at CMU. Great experience.. it was very busy, we received all deposits from all departments, sent out the tuition bills and helped students and parents regarding school.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Very busy office during new semesters
Great Environmetn
Assistant Director, Events and Conference Services (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MINovember 8, 2016
Great place to work. CMU provides exceptional benefits packages, continued education opportunities, and extra curricular activities. Overall a fantastic place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Michigan University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Central Michigan University Reviews by Location