Central Nassau Guidance and Counseling Services

Central Nassau Guidance and Counseling Services Employee Reviews

Hhcm
HHCM (Current Employee) –  Plainview, NYSeptember 28, 2018
I started to work here straight out of my masters. The pay is much lower compared to other agencies for the same amount of work (Roughly $6,000/ year). The caseload is large and almost unmanageable. However, the agency PROMOTES PROMOTES PROMOTES. I find the workload acceptable but it does not reflect on the pay. The agency attempts to make it up in benefits ( Basically, if you have a health condition, you can pay for either your healthcare or rent). Overall, you learn a lot from the field, but the goal is to utilize this position as a stepping stone.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
High Stress, Poor Working Environment
Cng
Care Coordinator/Case manager (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYSeptember 6, 2018
Central nassau was a nice place to work. The compensation was average but could have been better. Management was ok. Parking lot for employees was a plus.
Thriving agency and supportive work environment for employees
Assistant Director of PROS (Current Employee) –  Plainview, NYAugust 28, 2018
I've been with CN Guidance and Counseling Services since 2011 and have watched the agency evolve and flourish in this challenging and ever-changing behavioral health environment. Yes, the work we do is very challenging, the required documentation can be burdensome, and the salaries aren't the greatest- but it's nothing out of the ordinary for a non-profit behavioral health agency. That being said, from the top down, this agency believes in providing as supportive of an environment as possible for employees. Most supervisors have regular supervision with staff and an open-door policy, and there are many opportunities to get involved in committees, fundraising activities, and social activities with other departments- all things that really help boost morale. There is also the opportunity for growth and advancement. Ongoing training is provided (and required!) and support is given to those looking to receive their degrees, certifications, etc. The agency also wants to retain valuable employees, so internal promotions are common. I worked as a primary counselor in the PROS program for over 3 years, running groups and meeting individually with clients, and was then promoted to Program Coordinator and then Assistant Director of the department. If you bring positivity to the workplace and are willing to learn and grow, then this is the agency to work for. Very grateful for the experiences I’ve had here and look forward to seeing where we go next!
Pros
Supervision, experience, growing agency, supportive environment for employees, opportunities for advancement, generous benefits package, open door policy with supervisors
Cons
Rigorous demands, understaffed at times, salaries aren't the highest (all typical for non-profit behavioral health agencies)
Great Place to Start or Continue Your Career
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYAugust 9, 2018
Great work environment. Staff is very supportive and encouraging. I recently started and can honestly say that I’ve never felt more welcomed and happy. It is definitely fast paced, but I haven’t once felt like I wasn’t part of a team working toward a common goal. Management has gone out of their way to help me settle into my position and responsibilities. They are truly a great group of people, and continue to surprise me with how much they value and care about the work they are doing. If you have the opportunity to work at CNG, you will not regret it.
Pros
One hour lunch!
Awesome clients, horrific management
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plainview, NYAugust 7, 2018
Management is jaded and doesn't care about their employees. Division Director of PROS couldn't care less about her employees except for her right hand person, the Asst. Director. HR director doesn't take complaints seriously. Everyone is out for themselves and there is no such thing as a team environment.
The only positive about this agency is the clients you get to work with.
Pros
summer hours - end half hour early, lots of holidays, good PTO
Cons
management, supervisors, workload
Great place to start, grow and stay
HHCM (Current Employee) –  Plainview, NYJune 8, 2018
I entered in the field as a beginner and quickly grew within the agency. They love to see internal staff grow and develop. They offer a leadership program and mentoring opportunities to help you grow professionally and personally. Management is supportive and in the field that many places are closing, this agency not only is staying open but always has new programs and growing in size. The culture at the agency allows for volunteer opportunities and to feel that close knit family vibe in the workplace, you find new friends and feel a sense of belonging which is needed when you work with such high risk and high need population. I suggest anyone looking to grow in the non profit field to start here, it is a great post college beginning as long as you are ready to be professional and have the clients best interest in mind. Unlike other agencies, this agency believes in providing quality care to clients which at other organizations you are expected to produce high outcomes without caring about clients. Its a great job when the management cares about the clients as much as you do!

They also are big on you taking your lunch and not working for free! If you work full time 35 hours - you leave when you are scheduled off! management is so supportive and encourages self care!
Pros
quality of care for clients, support from management
Cons
Plainview location is on the 495 so you hit traffic when leaving work
July 20, 2018

Thank you, we take pride in our employees and agency and appreciate your rating.

Intern
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Plainview, NYMay 10, 2018
I was an intern... we did everything
Urine collection
Individual counseling
Group Facilitation
Clinical Supervision
Food prep and service on occasion
Intakes... etc
Wonderful Place to Build A career
Community Residence Counselor (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYApril 20, 2018
CNG is a wonderful place to work. They have positions available to many levels, whether you are new or advanced. CNG is a great place to begin a career. Management is very supportive and do their best to treat the clients well and give them a better standard of living. There is a ton of paper work for the CR position, that's the biggest downside. However if you're coworkers are great then every day will be just fine with your team.
July 20, 2018

Avoid working here if you can
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Plainview, NYApril 19, 2018
Managment have unrealistic expectations of workers. Only the favorites survive. If your show you "blank" too much, you will become a target. The job is convenient for the location but there is ALOT of favoritism in at this agency. The turn over rate here is ridiculous and now I know why. Although they say it a lot of room for "growth", it means nothing with poor management. There is no formal training. Its a learn as you go or learn from peers around you.. and most of the time its inaccurate information. There are only a few supervisors here who actually knows what they are doing. And they will come on here and comment to cover their " blank" because of that's all that goes on here. No one cares about the employees or advocates for them and the ones who did/do care either left or are on their way out
Pros
Location, Its not hard to get approved time
Cons
Unrealistic expectations, no formal training, favoritism
July 20, 2018

Sorry to hear you feel this way. Central Nassau Guidance and Counseling Services values their employees and agency. Please note, Upper Management and Human Resources have an open door policy and all employees are welcome to meet with us. We have had substantial growth in the last 2 years and we continue to do so. Our employees are our biggest asset.

good place to work
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYMarch 21, 2018
Fast paced
great benefits
good salary, more than most companies
poor management
stressful environment at times
staff is helpful
on going training is a plus
July 20, 2018

Interesting, rewarding job with high stress, poor management, and negative job culture
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYFebruary 23, 2018
This job entails a lot of work, but also a lot of learning. Employees can get beneficial work experience from this job as well as the opportunity to develop their professional skills and create bonds with clients. However, this job is high stress. Also, there is rarely a positive work environment and it feels as though the management and supervisors are out to get you. It is hard to feel consistently happy and/or comfortable in this work environment.
Pros
great entry level job
Overworked and underpaid
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Plainview, NYFebruary 6, 2018
Management makes you feel incompetent. - beware of upper management!
You feel like you can never take a lunch break.
No one shows you support/empathy
Pros
Benefits, Pto, co-workers
Cons
Stressful environment, lack of support, low salary
July 20, 2018

Sorry to hear you feel this way. Central Nassau Guidance and Counseling Services values their employees and agency. Please note, Upper Management and Human Resources have an open door policy and you are welcome to contact them at any given time. We have grown substantially in the last two years and our employees are our biggest asset.

February 21, 2018

An inspired and motivated culture that is transforming behavioral health care.
Management (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYJanuary 30, 2018
CN Guidance is a fast paced place that is truly dedicated to their mission. I have never worked at a place where people are more engaged and truly invested in the recovery of others. There is definitely job security here and also plenty of opportunity for people to move up and access new opportunities.
Pros
supportive and accessible management, staf development, recovery oriented staff
February 21, 2018

CNGCS's growth brings forth incredible new opportunities!
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYJanuary 26, 2018
I have worked at CN Guidance for over 2 1/2 years and can not imagine leaving. Management is extremely supportive and really hones in on individual employees special qualities and finds ways to utilize them that allow you to further your career. I can not wait to see what CN Guidance will do next!
Pros
Full Time Employees Paid Time Off, Agency Holidays, Dental, Health, and Vision plans, Multiple Locations
February 21, 2018

Thank you, we take pride in our employees and agency and appreciate your rating

Love working here
Director (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYJanuary 22, 2018
I have been at CN Guidance for over 2 years with work experience at two other nonprofits. This is the best place I have worked! It is the most collaborative, cooperative and team/growth oriented. It is a great place to invest yourself as they invest in you right back!
February 21, 2018

Wonderful. Central Nassau Guidance and Counseling Services takes great pride in our employees and agency and appreciate your rating.

Excellent Leadership
Division Director (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYDecember 31, 2017
CNG provides excellent leadership from the top. I am treated with the utmost respect, and I am provided with the necessary guidance, support and tools that I need. I feel a part of a Team and strive to do the same for the managers who work with me in my Division. I have grown tremendously in the Agency and am an integral part of the Agency and behavioral healthcare community. The Agency is very innovative and holds patient care and staff wellness as paramount. I am proud to work at CNG.
Pros
Great growth, excellent opportunities, importance of team, innovative and patient care and staff wellness very important.
Cons
Need more of a balance of work/life.
February 21, 2018

Thank you, Central Nassau Guidance ad Counseling Services values their employees and takes pride in our agency. We appreciate your rating.

A great team full of caring people
Director (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYDecember 21, 2017
Always lots to do here - no one ever is left bored! It's fast-paced and very forward-thinking. If you're looking for a place on the cutting-edge of behavioral health with people who really care about those they serve, then CN Guidance is the right place.
Pros
generous time off policy
February 21, 2018

Thank you, we value our employees and agency and appreciate your rating.

Competitive
Outreach Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYDecember 17, 2017
Job does not care about its employees. Management is terrible. Extremely high turn over rate. Nobody is happy at work. If they don’t like you then leave.
Pros
Great start at a job
Cons
Poor Management
February 21, 2018

Thank you, we value our employees and agency. We recently added close to 50 more positions to our job bank due to growth. We are now close to 350 employees and growing. Upper Management and HR have an open door policy to address employee concerns. We care very much about our agency and staff.

Lots of experience to be gained
Residential Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYNovember 30, 2017
I liked serving the population I worked with. I liked my coworkers as well. I liked the experience I gained. No two people are alike in this field so the challenges were never ending.
Pros
conference every year
Cons
poor management
February 21, 2018

Thank you, we value our employees and agency and appreciate your rating.

Do Not Recommend
Employee (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYNovember 23, 2017
I was a dedicated employee at CNG for many years. Due to favoritism and unrealistic work expectations I was forced to seek employment elsewhere. Unfortunately who you know is everything at this agency, and if you don't become friendly with the right people you will not advance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Nassau Guidance and Counseling Services. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about