Central Nassau Guidance and Counseling Services

Central Nassau Guidance and Counseling Services Employee Reviews

United States75 reviews
A typical day at work are morning meetings then going out in the field. Sometimes you don't even get a chance to eat lunch. Management give you about 8-10 clients a day in different areas.
The CEO, CFO and COO care about the staff and try to ensure the workplace is exciting. They stop in the halls to ask how you're doing and how's work/home life.

It's been one of the best work environments and is truly a work family.
I feel lucky to work for an organization that considers client AND STAFF wellbeing as a priority. CNG goes out of its way yo make staff feel appreciated and valued. They offer generous paid time-off and health/vision/dental benefits. In addition, there are regularly scheduled team and moral building activities for all employees
I worked there for almost 2 years and the management is terrible and only are lenient to staff they like. They only promote their friends in this department and are in their own little clique. Dont let the facade of the organization sway you into working for the health home care management department. Other depts are great but not HHCM.
December 17, 2019
Sorry you feel this way. Our Agency just recently won Newsday's Top Long Island Workplace for 2019. We certainly value our employees and promote based on job performance and qualifications.
The staff really care about each other and the clients. When an employee is going through hard times (death in the family, illness), the staff are there to support them. It's like an extended family. Working in this field (MH & addiction) can be stressful but it is fulfilling.
Pros
The staff are hardworking and caring
Cons
The pay in this field is lacking.
December 17, 2019
You are correct, we all help one another in a time of need and we Thank you for your rating. We take pride in our employees and agency.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Working at CNG was a very rewarding experience. I felt the management was very open and helpful. My duties were to go into the field and assist clients taking them to medical appointments, grocery shopping, Department of Social Services and Social Security Offices. I learned to assist clients with a range in their abilities. It was challenging at times helping people with mental illness. The staff works hard as a team.
Pros
Time off
Cons
poor benefits
December 17, 2019
Thank you, we take pride in our employees and agency and appreciate your rating.
CN Guidance is a great place to work. It is very collaborative with staff pulling together to do whatever it takes to get the job done. The leadership are very innovative and trying to look for ways to improve services to their clients. It is also very mission-driven - with staff that really care about the work and the people they impact each and every day. I know it may be cliche, but the staff there make it feel like you are part of the family and care about their colleagues as more than just co-workers, but as human beings. They also offer great health and time-off benefits.
July 8, 2019
I thoroughly enjoy going to work at CNG. Their strong leadership team invests in their staff and promotes growth and development from within. I definitely recommend working here. Though there can be many moving parts and potential projects, I appreciate that the day to day tasks have variation. I feel a sense of accomplishment toward a bigger picture of ultimately serving our clients at the end of any day.
July 8, 2019
Poor management. Very unprofessional. Even upper management acts like high school students
Watch your back at this place because nobody else will

Clients are great but not treated properly and living in filth
Pros
Great clients
July 8, 2019
Sorry to hear you feel this way. Central Nassau Guidance and Counseling Services values their employees and agency. We offer an array of different benefit options and one of our Medical Plans (for single coverage) is less than $15 per pay period for our FT employees. The agency also pays up to $2,000 (staff only coverage) for eligible medical expenses and $5,000 for (family coverage) in a qualified Health Reimbursement Account (HRA). That's quite attractive along with 2-4 weeks paid vacation accrued per year, 5 personal days, 12 sick days and 12 company paid holidays per year. We appreciate your review and wish you the best in your future endeavors.
CNG has a high turnover rate and a lot of the money goes to the CEO. I understand it’s non-profit but they pay a lot lower than other agencies. They should invest more in their employees salaries for retention. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great stepping stone company
Pros
Environment, benefits
Cons
Salary
July 8, 2019
A day at CNG can vary between calm and even slow due to note taking, but depending on your case load and work ethic can determine how stressful your day will become. I have learned how to work with mental health patients as well as learn to work as a team, work efficiently, and increase my ability to time manage and organizational skills. The hardest part is allowing yourself to truly take a break (if you're a workaholic like me). I love this place because they are so focused on getting you to succeed and advance in your career.
Pros
benefits, work environment, ability to advance
Cons
I personally feel we should be paid more for the actual amount of stressful work we do, but I am also able to work with what we are paid.
July 8, 2019
Central Nassau guidance is a great place to work. I still work there and i am not planning to leave. It offers great benefits and the staff
and the manager are very nice and professional
Great place to work, the people are friendly and always willing to help. My program supervisor is amazing as is the CEO. They are always willing to work with you if the need arises.
I have been working at CN Guidance for over 1.5 years. Being a social worker is a challenging job with new experiences everyday. I am very grateful to have an amazing team of colleagues and such supportive supervisors to help me learn and grow. Upper management is also made up of some truly amazing people who really care about all of the employees. I have even had brown bag lunches with our CEO! I highly recommend working here!!
Pros
Good work atmosphere, good hours, supervision provided weekly, supportive upper management
Cons
Salary is on the low end (not for profit)
July 8, 2019
I love the services I provide to the consumers. I love the team work and the support from upper management. I love the work environment and company intensives.
Cons
short lunch breaks
Thank you, we take pride in our employees and agency and appreciate your rating
This was my first job after receiving my degree I found it very rewarding and challenging. I learned a great deal while working with the clients that I was assigned and felt that we both learned a great deal from each other.
Thank you, we take pride in our employees and agency and appreciate your rating
This company has provided me with valuable experience that I will take with me throughout my career. Working in residential mental health, I have built on my previous experience in substance abuse, and have had the opportunity of hands on experience in many treatment modalities.
October 25, 2018
I started to work here straight out of my masters. The pay is much lower compared to other agencies for the same amount of work (Roughly $6,000/ year). The caseload is large and almost unmanageable. However, the agency PROMOTES PROMOTES PROMOTES. I find the workload acceptable but it does not reflect on the pay. The agency attempts to make it up in benefits ( Basically, if you have a health condition, you can pay for either your healthcare or rent). Overall, you learn a lot from the field, but the goal is to utilize this position as a stepping stone.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
High Stress, Poor Working Environment
October 25, 2018
Sorry to hear you feel this way. Central Nassau Guidance and Counseling Services values their employees and agency. We offer an array of different benefit options and one of our Medical Plans (for single coverage) is less than $15 per pay period for our FT employees. That's quite attractive along with 2-4 weeks paid vacation accrued per year, 5 personal days, 12 sick days and 12 company paid holidays per year. We appreciate your review and wish you the best in your future endeavors.
the agency is profit driven and cares more about billing then the clients they serve. staff is overworked and underpaid. no time for lunch breaks. management demands are often unrealistic
Cons
no time for a break
Central nassau was a nice place to work. The compensation was average but could have been better. Management was ok. Parking lot for employees was a plus.
October 25, 2018
I've been with CN Guidance and Counseling Services since 2011 and have watched the agency evolve and flourish in this challenging and ever-changing behavioral health environment. Yes, the work we do is very challenging, the required documentation can be burdensome, and the salaries aren't the greatest- but it's nothing out of the ordinary for a non-profit behavioral health agency. That being said, from the top down, this agency believes in providing as supportive of an environment as possible for employees. Most supervisors have regular supervision with staff and an open-door policy, and there are many opportunities to get involved in committees, fundraising activities, and social activities with other departments- all things that really help boost morale. There is also the opportunity for growth and advancement. Ongoing training is provided (and required!) and support is given to those looking to receive their degrees, certifications, etc. The agency also wants to retain valuable employees, so internal promotions are common. I worked as a primary counselor in the PROS program for over 3 years, running groups and meeting individually with clients, and was then promoted to Program Coordinator and then Assistant Director of the department. If you bring positivity to the workplace and are willing to learn and grow, then this is the agency to work for. Very grateful for the experiences I’ve had here and look forward to seeing where we go next!
Pros
Supervision, experience, growing agency, supportive environment for employees, opportunities for advancement, generous benefits package, open door policy with supervisors
Cons
Rigorous demands, understaffed at times, salaries aren't the highest (all typical for non-profit behavioral health agencies)
October 25, 2018
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Central Nassau Guidance and Counseling Services. Our community is ready to answer.
Central Nassau Guidance and Counseling Services Reviews by Location