Central Oregon Community College Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Great environment and people
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORJuly 2, 2018
I loved working with the people here and if I could have stayed hereI would have. Very helpful and understanding about the stresses of being a student and trying to work at the same time.
execellent job for transition
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORMarch 12, 2018
I have worked here for 7 years and I love my bosses and the people I work with. it is not a full time job but it is great to keep your math skills up and for anyone transitioning.
Good experience for an art student
Lab Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORFebruary 27, 2018
Working as a work study student in the art department was really helpful and I gained experienxe in my field. They were very flexible with my schedule.
Pros
Slow paced, good experience
Cons
Low pay
Family oriented work place
Physiology Lab Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bend, OregonFebruary 26, 2018
A typical day at work would be to read email, check phone messages, makes appointments for testing, teach interns testing and observe them conducting testing, talking with students, staff, and the public, work with student interns on most recent study protocols, coach students, and help athletes understand when to begin different aspect of a training program.

I have learned a tremendous amount about physiology and how the body works during rest and exercise. I have also learned a tremendous amount about sport psychology and how to work with athletes to make the most of their training. I've learned a lot about how to coach to help students and athletes become successful at what they want to accomplish. My coaching style has changed from being the expert, to making each individual the expert in their own lives, and helping to guide them toward their goals.

Although I manage the lab, I have a department chair and lab director that I meet with when necessary.

The culture of the COCC workplace is casual, cutting edge, and family oriented.

The hardest part of this job is the salary.

The most enjoyable part of this job is working with individuals and helping them reach their goals successfully
Pros
Benefits, autonomy, wonderful people
Cons
There is no movement upward in this job
Paid tutor was a great job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORFebruary 22, 2018
i enjoyed working for COCC. the staff and co-workers were great, the work environment was fantastic, and the pay we good for a student at the time.

I worked for the tutoring center, i was a student at the time and it was a great opportunity to work and go to school.
Pros
great work environment
fun loving emviroment
Bookstore Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORFebruary 5, 2018
Everyone treats you well, they make it fun to work in the bookstore. The management cares about the employees and if there is any problems they keep it private. They give positive feedback and constructive ways to help you overcome any hardships.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
work with young students who have their own clicks
Fast paced, competitive, fun place to work.
Welding tutor/welder/fabricator (Former Employee) –  Madras, ORJanuary 4, 2018
fast paced, competitive, fun place to work. mostly completed specific projects under a deadline. however, i was allowed to go off script periodically to build freelance projects designed from my imagination.
Pros
building new things i never imagined i would be able to build.
Cons
being away from my family
Great place to retire from
Financial Aid Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORDecember 6, 2017
COCC has been a part of Central Oregon for many decades. It is very open to all people from all cultures and personal beliefs. They are very fair in the jobs provided, the pay is a bit lower than the private sector though, so a balance would be required to work there.
if you want work life balance don't work as an instructor
instructor (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORNovember 11, 2017
As an instructor the pay is unacceptable when you factor in all the time you spend outside of work. The people there are wonderful and the benefits are great. However, the work expected and the level of hand holding that occurs with the students is remarkably overwhelming. Perhaps an administrative position is different since it's 8 to 5. However, as an instructor you will give your entire life over to this job.
Pros
good benefits, excellent people to work with
Cons
pay, no work life balance, unrealistic expectations
COCC CPS Department was interesting and fun
CAMPUS PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORNovember 6, 2017
The job was interesting a fun and also had a possibility for quick advancement. Management needed some work which caused some in-needed stress among the team.
COCC is a great place to be
Construction Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Central Oregon Community CollegeOctober 12, 2017
The culture at COCC is positive and the people are very enjoyable to work with. I was very impressed with the talented people I found within the College. A great place to work and a great place to learn!
Supportive work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bend, OROctober 10, 2017
Working a COCC was an amazing experience. One that I will compare to all future jobs. A typical work day involved interacting with a wide diversity of potential students, staff, and faculty. Each day you learn something new and how to bring that knowledge into play with students. The management is the most supportive people who are willing to teach you and explain how things are done in the most supportive ways. The hardest part of the job are the impatient people who scream, yell and curse at you when they don't get what they want. Especially, when there is protocol set in place. The most enjoyable part is build relationships with those you work with and encounter along the way.
Not too bad of place to work
Audio Visual Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bend, OROctober 8, 2017
COCC was a nice place to work in the beginning, but after a direct management change in the EUS department.My career came to a quick halt. When upper level management decides to promote incompetence, it does nothing but hinder growth.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long work hours
Nice place to work
COLLEGE MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Bend, OROctober 3, 2017
Excellent work environment. Opportunities to improve skills, to grow as a professional, and to participate in a variety of events organized by the college and other companies.
coc
ASL interpreter (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORSeptember 5, 2017
This job is very rewarding to work with the clients. however management is a mess and there is no room for advancement. Pay is low and work hours are long. There is always a shortage of staff so lots of opportunity for overtime.
The whole working environment was excellent
Fine Arts Departmental Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORAugust 10, 2017
Secretary/Receptionist for the Fine Arts Department
In charge of 7 complex budgets; contracts and special reports on excel
Room scheduling all all of the Fine Arts Department
Keeping 52 speadsheets up-to-date
Creating programs for the different concerts/art displays
Ordering textbooks and supplies for the department
Purchase orders for the department
Answering phone and questions from staff and general public.
Pros
Enjoyed working with the staff
Cons
Very busy place.
A good work-study job
Computer lab attendant (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORJune 26, 2017
This job was given to me through work-study, so I was attending COCC while I was working there. Our manager was really good about making sure that our school didn't conflict with our work schedule, and she made sure that our school schedule was a priority. The work environment is super friendly. The Job is easy but can require a lot waiting.
Excellent career education for future.
Certified Nurse Assistant/Student (Current Employee) –  Bend, ORApril 14, 2017
Attending Central Oregon Community College has given me a great understand and taught me new valuable skills that will lead me on a path to achieve my short and long term goals.
Pros
Excellent Instructors!
Cons
Shortage of Nursing Instructors!
fair
ISS (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORFebruary 11, 2017
training substandard
a lot of red tape
top heavy policy
are focused on student success
people seem overworked and stressed
benefits
Cons
red tape
Disconnected leadership
Classified staff (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORNovember 18, 2016
Some managers are very inexperienced in the technical field they supervise. Leads to plausible deniability by management and frustration by those who perform direct work who are experienced in the field but input is dismissed. Poor lines of communication in some departments. Selects poor delivery methods for communication in field. One way communication. Direct supervision in some departments is punitive by nature. Preferential treatment without regard to compentency and assigns disproportionate workloads, with clear favoritisms. Leadership dismissive of concerns and out of touch with what happens at mid management level and on the ground. Little personal recognition of a job well done - which is shallow recognition. 360 evaluation of supervisors only every three years. Culture of leadership that lacks foresight and prevention- some are very reactionary, which makes it difficult for the leaders that seek inclusion and planning. Some departments are very top-down managers and hold all power at the top. Discourages dialogue about root causes of problems. Fear of looking incompetent. Speaks of diversity but lacks understanding about how to promote diversity and teamwork.
Pros
Benefits are good. Beautiful location. Some amazing staff and students.
Cons
Disparity across departments. Some are great. Classified, part-time instructors and adjunct have little voice