Central State University Employee Reviews

Central State Univ
Adjunct Faculty, Mathematics (Former Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHAugust 8, 2018
Central State University is a 4 year university.

This is Historically Black University.

This university is located in Wilberforce, Ohio.

I recommend this university.
Productive workplace
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHJuly 20, 2018
I worked as a university center tutor for three years. The students are great. This expanded my passion for teaching. The University allowed me to work and receive my degree, while working around my schedule.
Pros
work around your school scheduel
Cons
pay is low
Not a bad place to work
County Agent (Current Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHJuly 17, 2018
The department that I work for is going through some restructuring which will effect the responsibilities of my position. I really enjoyed my position under the previous structure system.
Pros
Ability to effect change in the community.
Cons
Not much support from leadership.
Fun and challenging place to work
Director of Online Learning (Current Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHJuly 17, 2018
I have enjoyed working at Central State and I would love to continue to work there but there is not much opportunity for advancement. I wish there were more communication between leadership and their downline
Pros
Great mission and good flexibility
Cons
Lack of support
A good place to work for professors
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHJuly 4, 2018
CSU is a HBCU that offers friendly working environment and various funding and collaboration opportunities. It is a four-year teaching university and a land grant institution. It offers full-time teaching professor positions as well as research professor positions. I enjoyed work here. The salary is competitive and my colleagues are supportive.
A great place for students to work
Librarian in Training (Former Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHJune 21, 2018
This is a great place for students to work to get job experience. However, if you are an outsider coming in it is very hard to get a job. It would be better to be a student and get job placement.
Pros
IF you are a student you can get a wonderful job
Cons
not ideal if you our non staff or students
Great place to be
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHJune 2, 2018
Worked as an undergraduate with a research group to design, build, test and deploy smart technology machines to precisely and economically destroy pest in agriculture production. Using directed energy, robotics, and computer vision, light of specific frequency, and duration replaces post emergence herbicide to control weeds.
Productive workplace
Research Student (Former Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHMay 24, 2018
The job was very hands on and I gained a lot of experience from it. The instructors were very helpful and they kept everything professional. I really enjoyed doing research at Central State University.
Great
Office manager (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 14, 2018
Company hired for website and templates , have technical errors, on website upload, confusing information, interpretation of the interviewer to read when submitting. Problems with submission of interviewee.
Pros
Great temporary internet site
Cons
Difficulties with website technicians, and new company hire has posed a problem for recruitment
Its a great place to work.
office staff (Former Employee) –  Xenia, OHMay 14, 2018
central state gave me a chance to earn while in college. I know that college can be difficult with just studies alone, but if you add on the stress of financial responsibilities it can become a nightmare. So i thank Central State University for the opportunity.
Poor Management
Head Men's Basketball Coach (Former Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHMay 10, 2018
Cut throat place to work and lack of expertise of supervisors in all areas of the university. Workplace culture is stressful and no chance for career advancement.
Pros
Sports
Cons
Poor Management
Productive and fun place to work
Residence Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHApril 29, 2018
I loved the environment of culture of Central State University! I was challenged daily to become better and consistently meet deadlines. It stretched me to great heights!
Central State University
Financle Aide Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHApril 24, 2018
managed and supervised student workers. Monitored the departmental budget. Performed routine clerical work related to the processing of financial aid forms. Processed financial aid information into the financial aid system to complete the students’ files. Sent follow-up correspondence to students, outside agencies, and other departments. Verified correctness of information and proofs data for accuracy. Prepared documents for scanning and assist with the indexing of records into the imaging
Cons
Nice place to work as a student
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHApril 12, 2018
Nice place to work especially while attending classes there at central state university. Great staff, Good hours. perfectly fits around class schedules.
Unprofessional
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHFebruary 24, 2018
This is by far one of the worst places I have ever had the misfortune of working. I do not even know where to begin to express how awful it is to work here. I dread going to work on a daily basis. First of all, their hiring practices are inconsistent and unfair. Few people are hired based on merit or actual qualification for the job; instead cronyism and nepotism abound. As a result, the burden of work falls on those who are truly competent, increasing stress levels to stroke proportions. People are routinely fired without notice or apparent cause, even those in "high" positions, and rarely is the staff notified. Secondly, CSU is so technologically behind the times, if it weren't so sad it would almost be laughable. This increases the frustration and stress of performing the job day to day. Management does not listen to suggestions for improvement, they make demands and expect miracles. "Management," by the way, consists of a bunch of people with a lot of letters behind their names who want to show one another how intelligent they are. It would appear that few people, even the faculty, truly care about the students, who are the reason for CSU's very existence. CSU has been in existence for 131 years and I honestly do not see how they are still standing. They turn a blind eye to problems, inflate their so-called successes and put on a public face that is intended to hide the true ugliness of the campus culture. This is an absolutely horrible place to work and I encourage NO ONE to apply for a job here.
Pros
I love the students.
Cons
Everything else
Higher Education
Institutional Advancement Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHFebruary 20, 2018
Excellent place to work. I loved working here. Great learning environment. Students are inspirational. Faculty and staff are helpful. Special events are exciting.
Pros
Good learning environment
Cons
Low salary
Productive and family oriented work environment.
Residence Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHJanuary 22, 2018
A typical work day at Central State University consists of running errands when needed and completing clerk related job responsibilities. The culture of Central State University is very professional, yet family oriented. Working at Central State isn't hard because everything is a learning experience. Meeting new people is the best part about this profession.
Ran great under previous management.
Painter II (Former Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHJanuary 21, 2018
CSU had a few great things about it in the beginning. When supervisors don't do their job it seeps into the fabric of the culture. The culture there was "I'm waited my turn and I'm getting mine" Very little teamwork between managers or supervisors to subordinates. Poor fiscal choices.
Zero support from the Union that we paid dues to.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Lack of management and fiscal irresponsibility
Great Experience
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHDecember 31, 2017
Worth the year investment!
An authentic environment with a very responsible management staff. The pace and space was a nice fit for my hectic schedule.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Wilberforce, OHDecember 21, 2017
Very organized and highly structured environment. Excellent communication between staff, faculty, and students. Great place to work for. Would recommend to anyone looking for employment in the higher education field to apply here.