Central Texas College Employee Reviews

Only perk is good benefits
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXJuly 14, 2019
Pros - great benefits, assistance with education, free gym access, holidays off, and I liked the work schedule where Fridays were half days.

Cons - poor management, understaffed and underpaid, lots of stress from students and management, no training - mostly learn as you go, frowned upon when trying to converse with colleagues or coworkers (no interaction between departments), and HR didn't help when I brought in my concerns.

Personally, I would not have relocated if I had known that they'd terminate me after a few months. Funny enough, one adviser had left prior to my termination, another left after, and one more already submitted papers about leaving in a few months so the department was short staffed which caused the student wait time to be an average 2-3 hours; the peak time of the year was also coming up which normally had students waiting 6-8 hours to see an adviser. Just glad I don't have to deal with the stress anymore but also sad to have been treated so poorly even after trying so hard and having invested so much time/effort only to be silently escorted out.
Supportive management
Site Director (Former Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKJuly 14, 2019
Central Texas College has been named one of the best colleges to work for several times. Management is supportive and encouraging. I loved working at CTC!
Personality Conflicts
Custodian (Former Employee) –  LibraryJuly 13, 2019
Should reward by merit. Great benefits. Supervision is good. Allowed to work at own pace. Information comes pretty thorough and precise completely up and down the chain.
Good people, good place to work
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJune 19, 2019
Students are young, clueless, and have rude parents. Entitled people come and be rude to staff but we still have to smile and serve. Employee turnover rate is high
Pros
Gym, flexible hours, educational benefit
Cons
Hard to get career advancement
Job is secure, but pay is horrible. Especially for hourly employees.
Office Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJune 18, 2019
You can move up the ladder pretty quick based on experience, but the pay could be way better than their normal pay rate. I wish they would automatically give pay raises instead of picking and choosing which fiscal years to do so.
Benefits
Cons
Pay rate
Review of Central Texas College
Speech Communication Senior Faculty (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJune 13, 2019
The minimum course load at CTC is 5 16-week classes. The average age of a student is 33, so it's a very diverse student population.
Office hours are required, in-service events sponsored by CTC are required, fall and spring graduation attendance is required.
The administration's lack of concern and interest in faculty development, engagement, and work satisfaction is disheartening. Unfortunately, the faulty culture is really struggling to find value and affirmation.
The best part of the job is the students! The student body is diverse and enjoyable.
Nice job for someone starting off or just retirrd
Carpenter Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJune 5, 2019
its not a bad a bad place to work just doesnt pay well enough and advancement is very limited. Some of the coworkers ive had were amazing but the lack of pay is a down side.
N/a
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 17, 2019
This job is on base it is very for the classes to make. The employees are nice. It is a fine school for individuals on base. Therefore it is very great job to work for.
It was a good first step
Work-Study (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXMay 14, 2019
This was my first job. There were no benefits, paid leave or anything but that was only because I was essentially a paid intern. I do know for a fact that Full or Part-Time employees do receive higher pay and a variety of benefits.
There were fast and slow paced days, it all depended on how many student came in and what they each needed.
All of the staff and professors are very friendly, sociable, and helpful.
In all honesty it was a great job and if I hadn't run out of funding I would most likely still be working there today.
Great work place
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXMay 13, 2019
Great people to work with. Slow days and face days so it balances it self out. Great managers that are willing to speak with you on job and regular life problems.
Pros
Pot lucks
Cons
Short breaks
Good stepping stone job
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXApril 4, 2019
Overall it is a decent place to work. I have worked with the college on and off for almost 10 years. I have worked 3 very different roles and in 3 different buildings with different managers. The amount of work and atmosphere really depend on your department and manager. There is a lot of flexibility if you have a good manager and the job can be really great. They let you do homework on work time and take classes for free. The benefits are the best thing about the job.
The overwhelming low pay is the worst. You cannot survive on what they pay. The redtape and politics can make working here tiresome leaving everyone with a lack of motivation and drive. Do not expect the administration to be on your side if any issues arise. They constantly make terrible decisions that later leave the college in financial despair. They just recently started giving raises again after 3 years of nothing. Even now the raises are 2.5% with no cost of living. So if you start at 9$ an hour maybe in 10 years you can make $14.
If your starting out in your career and looking for experience, need to finish school, or just trying to pass the time this is the place. This is not a long term job. Many people that are older are either already retired from somewhere else, drawing social security, or simply got stuck because of their age and time they already invested.
Pros
Benefits: accrued sick/vacation, paid holidays, free classes
Cons
Pay, raises, moral is extremely lacking
I did not work for the school
student (Former Employee) –  koleen texasMarch 30, 2019
the question dosent pertain to me. A typical day would be to go to class and try to achieve a passing grade at the end of the semester.I was a student
Pros
I earned a degree
Cons
Not very good please to work
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXMarch 26, 2019
Low pay, no help. "Just figure it out on your own" is very common at CTC every day.
No review, no coaching. Working with students is the best part of the job.
Outstanding
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Fort Benning, GAMarch 20, 2019
Outstanding in every regard. I have been an educator for 40 years and this is one of the best places to be an instructor I have encountered. I highly recommend this outstanding institution.
Pros
Great people
Cons
lots of staff development. positive work environment
Child Development Professor-CDA I, II, III/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXFebruary 17, 2019
Staff is encouraged to further develop. We were given the opportunity to teach evening classes. We had positive mentors that encouraged us to further our careers in early childhood.
Excellent
Adjunct Professor in Nutrition (Current Employee) –  Joint Base Lewis McChord, WAFebruary 16, 2019
Central Texas College provides a supportive and professional environment. The most gratifying part of my job is working with the military and their families. Teaching nutrition is an invaluable tool where each and every student leaves my class with a better understanding of living a healthier lifestyle.
Student only
Student (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXFebruary 5, 2019
Was a student at this facility and not an employee, loved the experienced faculty, staff worked hard to ensure success, affordable school, financial assistance.
Pros
Program, faculty, staff, price of tuition
Cons
lack of some classes
Relaxing place to work at, friendly co-workers
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXFebruary 4, 2019
I was allowed to do school work whenever there was free time, management worked with my class schedule. The office will hear you out if you have a disagreement. The campus is not big so there is not a lot of walking to do.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Parking, pay is not enough to get by
Former Employee
Site Registrar (Former Employee) –  killeen texasJanuary 17, 2019
My daily typical work here depended on day to day, the only thing about CTC is there is no room for advancement no matter how hard you work. You can go above and beyond and it does not matter.
great job for students
Student Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXDecember 29, 2018
I enjoyed working for the library because management worked around my class schedule and wanted me to succeed as a student. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to work over 20 hours a week. I was able to provide excellent customer service and develop friendships with people who are interested in similar things. Nothing inappropriate ever occurred and collaborated with different departments regarding events to be held at the library.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
limited work hours