Central Texas Medical Center Employee Reviews

Very stressful work environment
nurse (Current Employee) –  Center, TXFebruary 15, 2019
Although,they attempt to be diverse, they have a problem making someone of another race/ethnicity other than anglo to feel less than welcomed.

Leadership works in silos

Frontline staff lack skills/do not want to grow

Lack of support and unprofessionalism from HR department

Hospital is horrendous at gossiping, everyone knows everything

Lacks following their own mission
Pros
great pay
Cons
poor leadership mid-level and upper level
Poor Ethical Culture
RN (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXApril 28, 2018
Poor management on multiple levels.
Unethical treatment of nurses- bullying. "Go along to get along" culture.
Misallocation of donated funds.
Poor pharmaceutical management.
Buying "seconds" for medical supplies.
Pros
Fair wages for level of education/ experience.
Cons
Often interrupted lunch breaks, poor leadership
Productive and fun place to work.
CERTIFIED NURSE ASSISTANT/CLERK (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 18, 2019
Productive and fun place to work. Great team work. Staff always willing to help. Flexible schedules. Manager always making sure staff has the proper equipment to provide the best patient care to the patient's.
Rn, ctmc
Postpartum RN, Transition RN (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXSeptember 25, 2018
Great company. Love the staff and love working here. Pay more than most hospitals in the Austin area but is relatively slow so was called off too frequently.
fast pace work environment
Dietary Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXApril 8, 2012
This position doesn't allow any utilization of my education. Everything has a set time limit to complete the daily tasks. Once you get the rhythm down you mostly go on auto-pilot.

I've learned that I'm looking for a career change from nutrition and do not want to work in food service. I also do not want to work in healthcare or in a hospital. I need something that is more fun, exciting, and will allow me to work harder to move up within a company.

There is too much super vision which is completely unnecessary. Most of the people there are on power trips. Gossip and rumors start a lot of unavoidable drama. There is too much favoritism and constant unfairness.

I'd say the hardest part of the job is just feeling like I'm not using my full potential for the 4 years I went to school to receive my education. The work that I do is so mundane, boring, frustrating, and it makes me miserable.

The most enjoyable part of the day is when I get to talk with the elderly volunteers or other people within the hospital for a few minutes and eat lunch.
Pros
four dollars a day to purchase foods, health benefits
Cons
short breaks, boring, non-intellectual, unprofessional co-workers, non ideal environment, problems never get solved, horrible pay grade
Great place to get your feet wet
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 28, 2017
Central Texas Medical Center is a great place to work, especially if you're a new RT. It's a small non-profit hospital with lots of great staff to help with your learning adjustments. Due to it's size you'll be able to move around each department to get a wide range experience.You will be able to get experience in ER, Labor and Delivery, Nursery, Floor Therapy(Med Surg), PCU, And ICU. The Respiratory Manager is fair and believe in continued education. He believe in readiness and so where the hospital lack in volume, he make up in continuous education.
Pros
preparedness/ continued education
Cons
Lack of advancement due to the size of hospital
Did not live out it's mission
anonymous (Former Employee) –  anonymousApril 25, 2017
I was originally interested in working here due to the mission statement of 'extending the healing ministry of Christ.' Unfortunately when I arrived I knew within 1 week of working here that wasn't the case. Just a few examples: Manager being dishonest about job description/responsibilities in interview, retaliation and bullying by Manager, veiled threats by Manager, being made fun of about being a Mother by co-worker during a 'meeting', inappropriate comments made by Manager, being followed to my car by co-worker, and Manager raising their voice during 'meetings'. I notified upper management about the above on more than 5 occasions and documented most of it and the behavior continued and nothing changed. This was by far the most oppressive and negative environment I have worked in in my entire career. Please be very wary when considering working here. I would think that a faith based hospital would help an employee who has consistent complaints about valid and pervasive issues that have been reported over and over again, however that was not the case. They stood by the above behavior that was reported over and over again.
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Marocs, TexasFebruary 26, 2013
This hospital is a joke when it comes to living it's mission. The culture will never change and the same people will be in charge until they do a clean sweep and get a new attitude. They need to hold everyone accountable. They will back stab you and throw you under that bus for their own benefit. They work you hard for little pay and pretend to be a faith based hospital. Be very aware for working for this company.
Pros
benefits, location
Cons
lack of leadership, bending of rules for those that have been there many years, no ability to advance, unsurmountable workload.
CTMC Experience
Emergency Room RN (Current Employee) –  Women's CenterApril 30, 2018
After many years working at this hospital, I find I am in need of a more challenging position, that will also give me the opportunity to work additional hours each week.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
more hours
Worst place to work
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  San MarcosJanuary 23, 2013
Pros:

Cons:
No training
Worst benefits
No team work
Weak management
No job advancement
Low census
No diversity
Competition coming soon
Unethical
Do not follow core values
Rude, hostile, work place environment
nice
Phlebotomist/registration (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 1, 2018
the location of out patient service was beautiful, short staff for coverage, and to much to put on one, no back up, boss was very nice, and understanding
Pros
beutiful building
Cons
short staff
Fast paced environment with a positive company culture
Texas - Recruitment/ HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMarch 7, 2017
I enjoy coming to work each day. I work with an amazing team and the positive environment I work in is created by my Director. She encourages work-life balance and feels it is an essential part of being productive.
Pros
Health and Retirement Benefits
Cons
Not many opportunities to advance
Productive and fun environment
Scan Technician (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMarch 23, 2018
I worked part time/temporary for this position. I worked Monday through Friday 8am to 12pm. I came into the office, logged onto the computer. Went through each employees folder to scan all their paperwork into the computer. Everyone there was very nice and always willing to help each other out.
Prn
CNA/ Tech (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMarch 31, 2018
I've learned lots of great new skills. But PRN hours are uncertain. Sometimes it can get crazy, but nurses are willing to help you and concerned. would highly recommend!!
Pros
cafeteria pay roll deduction
Cons
none yet- just uncertain hours
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 18, 2017
Central Texas Medical Center's culture is great. My time at the Central Texas Medical Center was wonderful. Management really took the time to listen to my concerns and needs, and I felt like a part of the team.
Central Texas Medical Center
AUXILIARY VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Center, TXApril 17, 2017
I was an auxiliary volunteer at the hospital for over one year. An auxiliary volunteer in the hospital has many functions in hospitals. We take care of patients and patients' families, help staff with work overload and work at the information desk to guide hospital to visitors. I liked working for them because I met wonderful people who are selfless and like give their time to care for patients of all ages without getting a reward.
Pros
Management, administration, enjoyable
Cons
I moved too far away from the hospital.
Best Choice- Medical Technologist
Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 10, 2016
I noticed that someone commented that the management was bad and there was racial slurs. First off let me say I am African American and have NEVER once felt any type of racism towards me much less any racial slur. I originally come from a small country town that still have these unethical practices. One of the many reasons i moved here was to get away from that. I recently moved here, and since day one this place has treated me like one of their own. Even before I moved here I had people offering me a place to stay and they haven't even met me. It is a nice environment to work where you feel like everyone is family. So for someone to comment or "pull the race card" I do not think it is fair to label this department, much less this hospital with such an unfair label. As for management, probably one of the best I have came across. Its hard these days to find a boss who is fun easy going, but stern and leader with a back bone when needed. I think this department has NAILED it in finding someone who fits this role. Everyone is easy to approach and talk to. If something need to get done they are quick to respond. I also greatly appreciate how this job challenges you to step up and become a leader. Since I have been here, they have giving me different task to keep work interesting, fun, and a overall learning experience. All and all probably one the best choices I have made in my career.
Pros
Great place, Communication, well around great learning, Leadership
Cons
Nothing Major
Very passionate work environment
CNA/Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJuly 4, 2017
Central Texas Medical Center was my first medical profession and loved every minute. I am looking to advance my career into another position. They offered me the skills I needed in order to move forward.
Pros
friendly work environment, make your own schedule
Cons
pay is decent but could give a little more in the cna department
cooking/ dietary
San Marcos - Cook (Former Employee) –  Center, TXDecember 11, 2017
Good work atmosphere to work at. Very upbeat working experience. Very hands on with everything that i was apart of. Had many different job types while being there, not only working in the kitchen but doing events for CTMC as well as doing caterings for outside of work as well.
Pros
$5 meal ticket
Cons
30 min lunch break
productive and fun workplace
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJuly 28, 2017
I loved working for ctmc. The entire staff on my floor was to die for. We werent only coworkers but family. I hate that im not working there. Id do anything to go back. The benefits and discounts were awesome. CTMC rocks!!