Century 21 Department Stores Employee Reviews

Visual Merchandising
VISUAL MERCHANDISE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2019
Very good for first job, the staff was patient in teaching you the rops. As my first visual job the manager was great at explaining and teaching me the fundamental rules of visual merchandising.
Pros
employee activities
Cons
healthcare
Not what I expected
Merchandise Team Member (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2019
Being a long-time customer, I'd grown to appreciate the excellent service at Century 21. When I took the seasonal position, that all changed. The upper managers are great, but the supervisor I had was CLUELESS. Never have I eagerly anticipated the end of the season. I was offered a permanent position to which I happily declined, especially since the position was not the one I applied for in the first place.
Pros
Discounts were decent
Cons
Poor supervisory skill, lazy coworkers, rude, unruly customers
You’re gonna hate it
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  22 Cortlandt st. Downtown NYJanuary 12, 2019
I worked on the main floor. If you can’t keep up with the pace and stressful nature of it by your second day training they’ll send you to a different floor. Trainees have literally have had panic attacks and left the first day. Managers show a lot of favoritism. Drama snowballs. Everyone is cool but very fake. Customers are the rudest people on this planet. Managers go on firing sprees and just fire people they don’t like and a lot of people also quit because it’s just that awful.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Everything else
Very productive, and chances for growth
Merchandise team member (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 12, 2019
Great place to work, especially for someone looking to gain knowledge of high end quality brands. A keen interest in high end Fashion will definitely give you an advantage working here.
You meet great people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 10, 2019
I’ve met some of my best friends at Century 21 however some of the managers are horrible and pick and choose who they talk to. They advance people who were there less time than you and not as deserving. They want you to do a million things at once for little to no appreciation. Once they see you’re a good worker they take advantage. Some managers allow the guest to talk to you however they want to. People are constantly getting fired or quitting because it’s a toxic place.
Pros
Weekly pay, paid breaks, benefits, 45 minute lunch, coworkers
Cons
everything else
the new york locations are mayhem
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2019
a typical work day wouod be cleaning and organizing merchandise racks while assisting customers. the location i was in was so mismanaged and managers are rude and talk down on you and it didnt help that it was around the holidays. customers are beyond rude and inconsiderate. ive seen customers try on clothes in the aisle instead of fitting rooms and then toss what they dont want on the floor or on top of other racks, theyll drop clothes and not even care to pick it up. and then you need managers the most they are NEVER to be found. working at century 21 was the worst job experience i have ever had
never again
SALES (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2019
Very bad management, they don't treat their employees fairly. Even though not all departments are the same , there's a lot of favoritism. They try to belittle you and set you up on certain occasions, forcing you to quit.
The worst place I ever worked at.
Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJJanuary 8, 2019
Complete mismanagement of the projects. Unrealistic deadlines and expectations. Manager was a super-micro manager, very rude and lacking in peoples skills. Overall experience was very negative.
Cons
Extremely negative environment
love this company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJanuary 4, 2019
Great job with great people that i still keep in touch with! such an awesome staff and i miss them every day! never had an issue with anyone there a very positive environment
Not worth the trouble
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2019
Minimum pay given yet required or demanded to go above and beyond for the company. There was a major lack of communication between management and employees. Turnover rate is a true reflection of internal operations.
Fun place to work because of the co-workers you may meet
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJJanuary 3, 2019
C21 was a great place to work but only because of my co-workers. The management is terrible and becomes one of the reasons many people leave. The pay also, I feel, should be a little higher. Some managers like the ASM's are nice, or at least were nice (they may have changed ASM's since I've last worked there).
Pros
lunches, friends, discount
Cons
management, pay
clothing store
Cashier / Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 22, 2018
the work place could change pace anytime throughout the day.
management was a good team.
you have to be able to sale a person on an item.
the most enjoyable part of the job was learning a new career and helping and meeting new people.
Productive very friendly place everyone helps out without being told
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJDecember 18, 2018
If I had a chance to work there again I would the guest were not that bad but I enjoyed working there I learned a lot from working there. It made me realize more about retail
Pros
Very clean environment
Cons
Short break
Avoid at all costs
Buyer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2018
Terrible negative management, vicious, condescending and cut throat. Clear history of favoritism. Culture and atmosphere is toxic. employees are constantly leaving. Very strict non compete which does not allow you to work in any off price or ecommerce company for 6-18 months after leaving.
Century21 is a good place to work. Has improvements that must take place for it to become bigger in the city of Philadelphia.
Asset Protection Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 30, 2018
Working at Century21 i was given the task of opening the store everyday and making sure my departments files and paperwork was properly prepared. The shifts i work are great but the pay is what i need to greatly increase.
Fine for a Freelance Editor
Freelance Videographer and Editor (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJNovember 27, 2018
C21 was fine to work for an I really liked the team of people I worked with, it was a decent paying and predictable freelance gig that can provide some much needed normalcy in the hectic freelance grind.
Fun
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bayridge, nyNovember 23, 2018
The co workers are very fun and helpful team members. Also the management really cares about their employees. You get to interact with diffrent type of customers
Houseware Sales/ Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 21, 2018
I didnt lijke the experience the place is was boring and they dindt give enough time to take lunch and hours were short and I wish I can learn better things
Being aware of every situation at all times
Asset Protection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 18, 2018
Strong leadership was a benefit, as well as working as a team. Never underestimating anyone, but always making sure everything is properly done. Never hesitating to strive for your goals.
Don't waste your time
Power Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJNovember 17, 2018
Lack of diversity and racial barriers hold you back moving up in this company. Communication is horrendous especially if english is your first language. There is a lot of favoritism between employees and managers. Don't waste your time.
Pros
Good hours a lot of overtime
Cons
Favoritism, lack of communication, terrible management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Century 21 Department Stores. Our community is ready to answer.