Century Ambulance Service, Inc. Employee Reviews

Not a good work environment.
EMT (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 31, 2019
It is a good beginning EMT job for you to get comfortable around the ambulance, but the pay for both EMT and Paramedic is not competitive at all. Management never makes any attempt to help the crews on the trucks, expect to live off of gas station and hospital food cause you dont get time to eat. You have no idea when you will get off because the company cares more about getting as many runs done than employee shift times.
Pros
Good beginner EMT job
Cons
No breaks, no guaranteed lunch time, low pay.
April 1, 2019

As Century’s General Manager, I am sorry to learn that you had concerns while you were working for us. Please know that I and the rest of the management team have an open door policy. We welcome the opportunity to meet with employees at any time to help resolve whatever issue they may be dealing with. In addition, I would love to get some additional feedback from you, to help make Century an even better place to work. Please call me to discuss your employment experience further. I can be reached at 904-356-0835 ext. 231.

Matthew Johnson

It’s a cool place
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 25, 2018
Century is a good started job but not a career. Century helped me get out of my comfort zone. However, the rules are changing and things are different and we aren’t always aloud to eat.
Only good if experience is NEEDED in your future
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 22, 2018
Started working here due to referral from friend.
Pay is low, full time employees worked minimum 60 hours a week.
Dispatch micro manages.
Shift commanders pick their favorites and make sure you know if they dont like you.
Schedulers will not work with you for school unless your on a "firefighter" schedule
Military experience does not give any incentive to higher pay
Got paid more to bag groceries...
Pros
experience on a truck, opens eyes to healthcare provided in Jacksonville
Cons
Mechanics jimmy rig trucks, people fired due to witch hunts by managers, low pay, over worked, micro management, broken equipment
Decidedly disagreeable paramedics and abysmal pay
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Lake City, FLAugust 9, 2018
Half the paramedics were ill-tempered, hefty heifers who couldn't smile if their very lives depended on it. And after all that EMT training I had, the salary started at $11/hour, which is way less than I currently make delivering pizzas, which required absolutely NO training! Also, ever since Century ambulance in Lake City took over 911 for Columbia County, there is absolutely no place to sleep during your night shifts, and you are treated too loud cursing of your fellow employees, just wonderful!

I will say that management and supervisors were very nice and professional
Pros
I can't think of any
Cons
Very low pay, no place to sleep at night during long shifts, gratuitous loud cursing to keep you awake, a long commute from Gainesville, 43 miles each way, what a waste of time!
comfortable work invironment
Transport Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Live Oak, FLJuly 13, 2018
interfacility transfers for profit. pay is good. not guaranteed to get off work on time. A lot of time is spent in the ambulance. Not conducive to family life.

Good morning,

We appreciate your feedback and would like to discuss your experience further. Please call us at 904-356-0835 ext. 147.

Century Ambulance

Productive and fun work environment
Certified Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Lake City, FLMay 9, 2018
Century was so much fun to work for. Century values efficiency and work, but also values its employees. My coworkers were like my family. It is a fast paced work environment.

Good Morning,

Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback!

Century Ambulance

Management and Dispatch are the down fall
EMT (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 14, 2018
Dispatch doesnt care if you havent slept in 24 hrs+ if there are more than 2 calls on the board you will be running. They will give you calls while PTs are on the stretcher and change run status to complete even when you arent complete. Some of the dispatchers will even give you a superior attitude and make you feel useless.

Management makes up rules as it suits them. Scheduling will not answer if they dont want to deal with your problem. scheduling if needed will "forget" to tell you shift switches they make and will not work with school schedules easily when full time. Most shift commanders lack any leadership and sometimes wont even give you a real answer to your problems.

You are lucky to get any breaks or a lunch if you dont bring it.

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us this feedback. I have sent this information to our Director of Operations. We would like to discuss this further with you. Please give us a call: 904-356-0835 ext. 147.

Profit vs. Patient care
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 14, 2017
Long hours, constantly running, no time for lunch (ever). Always late pick-ups because they can’t staff their trucks because they treat their employees horribly and no one wants to work. An attempt at minimizing overhead has greatly decreased the quality of patient care. The “managers” might as well laugh in your face if you have a concern or request regarding equipment or patient care. No regard for employee safety.
Pros
If you’ve been here long enough, maybe they will take you seriously.
Cons
Management, pay, dispatch, owned by a California company that sucks all life out of this place.
High stress. Sometimes rewarding environment.
Shift Commander (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 23, 2017
Typical day at Century Ambulance for me involves a high, but manageable level of stress, brought on by on-time performance requirements that are often precluded by insufficient staff levels. The hardest part of my job is to motivate over-worked employees who do not feel appreciated by the company. The most enjoyable part of my job is having success in motivating these people through strength of personality and "leading from the front".
Pros
This position mines my talents and challenges me daily.
Cons
I am often restricted in my ability to manage due to financial considerations.
Low Pay/ Guaranteed hours for Medics
EMT (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 23, 2017
Good Company to work for, however being a private company rules and regulations change as well as pay cuts............................................
Pros
benefits/ guaranteed hours for medics
Cons
low pay for EMTs
October 5, 2017

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. We strive to encourage and improve communication amongst all team members and welcome you to join us for coffee chats and town halls.

We would love the opportunity to discuss your concerns further. Our General Manager, Matt Johnson, can be reached by calling 904-356-0835 ext. 231.

Human Resources

Great if you are in school
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 19, 2017
I was new to Jacksonville when I first started. Working for Century afforded me the opportunity to get to know the area and surrounding cities. I thank them for that. There's some downtime for school. I never liked the long trips and not going home on time. Typically, your shift is done when the call volume is down. So if you get off at 1800 hours, forget about it if there are late calls still holding on dispatch screen. Your schedule may say when you start, but when you finished is up to them regardless of your family situation. So if you have a sick person you look after, be it mother or child, do not apply here because you'll be looking for a weekly sitter. I am not bashing Century because when I was there, I believed in them. Century is a great place to work if you're in school or as a stepping stone. The work culture was ok. There's always that one or two persons that dampen your day. Management didn't have our backs when nurses complained or wouldn't have the papers we needed to turn in at the end of the shift. The most enjoyable part of the job was the event cook-outs and work recognition surprises. Administrative employees may find the company as FAMILY, but at the end of the day, EMT's and Paramedics feel different. EMT's and Paramedics are the forefronts of Century faced with issues while on shift. When issues arise, management doesn't have their backs like FAMILIES should. Most of the time, management are in agreement with nurses and the crew is in trouble in some form no matter what. The hardest part of the job is making money for a company who doesn't have your  more... back outside the company.  less
Pros
You have some downtime, sometimes, to study for school.
Cons
Management don't back you up if you are in a situation, you NEVER get off on time because there's no "get-off time", everything is played by ear, you go home when they say you go home.
October 5, 2017

Hi,

We are so sorry to see you go. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I have shared your review with our Director of Operations & General Manager.

At Century Ambulance, we do value your input and would love the opportunity to discuss your concerns. Our General Manager, Matt Johnson, would love to speak with you. He can be reached by calling 904-356-0835 ext. 231.

Human Resources

Not bad for beginners but not a place that holds your loyalty
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 2, 2017
This company has undergone so many changes in the last 6 months or so and honestly patient care is not very high on the priority list. Dispatch controls your every move and will demand 'Status?' If they feel you're taking too long. Shift command often advises you to ' make it work' and depending on which post you are assigned to determines the call volume you can expect. You may or may not get a chance to eat on shift, the pay is ridiculously low, and they let you know that you are 100% replaceable.

There are some really great people both in the field and at hq but not nearly enough. Very high turnover. 800 plus hires since November. Honestly if you have another option, take it. You'll be better off.
Pros
Driving experience, OT if you want it
Cons
Low pay, unreliable trucks, generaly poor morale
Management doesnt care
EMT (Former Employee) –  Lake City, FLJune 27, 2017
Management doesn't care about your personal life. Would not recommend this place of employment. Honestly use to be a nice place to work but new company from cali bought it out and everything changed for the worst.
July 18, 2017

Hi,

We are so sorry to see you go. At Century Ambulance, we do value your input and would love the opportunity to discuss your concers. Our General Manager, Matt Johnson, would love to speak with you. He can be reached by calling 904-356-0835.

Human Resources

Great place to call home
Admin (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLORIDAJune 21, 2017
Under new leadership. Lots of advancement opportunities! Expansion opportunities. Leadership has an open door policy: receptive to feedback and suggestions. I enjoy coming to work every day and have a good working relationship with my coworkers!
Pros
Variety of schedules, school friendly shifts.
July 13, 2017

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoy working with Century Ambulance Service!

n/a
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 27, 2017
back to back calls, posting in a parking lot for no reason, cameras in the trucks, old out dated equipt. rude managers and no structure. Trucks breaking down all the time.
July 18, 2017

Hi,

We value your input and would like to discuss your concerns more indepth. Our General Manager, Matt Johnson, would love to speak with you.

Human Resources

Good company, good reputation, reliable career.
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 25, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is hearing from my patients that I provide the highest level of patient care and that they would recommend Century to anyone.
Good place to work if needing experience
EMT-B (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 8, 2016
Company pays low, dispatch controls your every move and sends you all over. The company was awesome until recently being bought by a California company who changed entirely everything that has been in place for YEARS. They also said they would not get rid of 24 hour shifts very soon, and 3 months later with no warning a letter was sent out saying in 3 weeks the shifts would be taken away.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Dispatch controls you
Extremely productive workplace. Rooms for personell doing 24hr shifts. Annual lake, and X-mas Party, plus perks for exceptional service
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 5, 2015
I enjoy working at Century. No two days are ever the same, and nothing is routine. I enjoy working with people when they are sometimes at their worse.
Pros
Lounge area for relaxation. Gift cards for exeptional service.
Cons
Sometimes shift goes over time due to call volume.
good place to work with good people
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  jacksonville, flJuly 21, 2015
a typical day at work is ok. you have both good and bad days but that's the nature of the job. on days where call volume is high it can get tough but for the most part it's a good place to be
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Lake City, FLMay 1, 2014
Have got a lot of good experience and have really enjoyed working for this company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Century Ambulance Service, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Century Ambulance Service, Inc. Reviews by Location