Play YouTube video button

CenturyLink Employee Reviews

Found 4,327 reviews matching the search See all 4,515 reviews
Good coworkers, not a great company
Senior Sales Engineer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 31, 2019
I start work by 8 and leave after 4pm. I was given the opportunity to grow from a seller to a sales engineer by the local leaders in the SE organization.
The culture is a mess as there is ALWAYS the threat of lay offs. Management makes decisions that are unclear to what the benefit is to the overall organization and often goes back to the "old" way. Projects are often abandoned in mid flight because the decision makers didn't have a full understanding of the impact of current systems and their uses in the company.
I did enjoy my coworkers but I wouldn't say that I enjoy the company as a whole because it is evident that management doesn't value it's employees.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
Benefits are expensive, Change (not for the better) is constant, Threat of lay offs, Pay is usually below market value
Beware!!!
Senior Enterprise Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Richfield, MNFebruary 5, 2019
I transitioned to Centurylink initially due to the pay increase I had received from my previous company. There is some work like balance and decent pay within the position I was in but that is pretty much where the pros end. Turnover within the company is at an astronomical rate. Never been with a company that replaces salespeople like tic tacs. Minimal on the job training and management is just looking for you to hit a sales target. Could care less if you need help resolving issues with existing or onboarding new customers. Company culture is awful since they cannot keep sales managers or salespeople for more than a year. I worked here for less than 1 year and I had 3 different sales managers due to previous ones getting fired. The sales goals are unrealistic and if you do not acheive them there is no coaching, just being fired. Never seen an organization like this so poorly ran.
Pros
pay
Cons
company culture, lack of accountability within management and support teams
Poor Leadership, Lack of Direction, Sinking Revenues
Supervisor Network Operations (Current Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 11, 2019
There is a lack of a strategic direction for the company. Each year, revenues are decreasing with no noticeable plan from our leadership on how to turn it around.

Middle & Upper management do not have an understanding of technician hurdles or how the products perform or function. Instead, they are focused on mis-leading metrics that do not demonstrate the health of the network, morale of the work force, customer perception, or productivity hurdles.

Work environment is very hostile. Instead of fostering cooperation and teamwork, unhealthy competitiveness is encouraged. Members of the same team mock and deride peers who are struggling, while leaders of those individuals encourage it.

The job I'm in lacks technical training for a higher level understanding of the network and complex troubleshooting. Training classes for techs are outdated and extremely basic.
Pros
Good Pay & Benefits.
Cons
Poor Leadership, Negative Culture, No Clear Vision, Lack of Faith in it's Employees
Summary of Internet Repair
Internet Repair Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 30, 2018
Logged into a call center environment and received inbound calls from CenturyLink customers and CenturyLink field service technicians.

The main "educational/new work experience" was the exposure to supporting customers who had the Windows 10 operating system. The skillsets utilized were a small subset of my prior career positions.

Management was fair, but clearly played a "favorites" game. Workplace fairly strict environment and encouraged focus on your required duties.

Job did not require a great deal of analytical thinking and planning. It was a simple job to me and not challenging. The most enjoyable part about this position is that the employee base while diverse in gender, race, religion, etc. which is what I expect from a large employer. The staff that I worked in close proximity to were very pleasant and fun to work with.
Pros
Full time job w/benefits and utilized a small portion of technical expertise
Cons
Didn't require much prior technical experience
Work Life Balance, Benefits and GREAT TEAM!
Customer Service and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 21, 2018
I have worked at CTL for 6 months. My Team is outstanding in the Boise office! You are supported, encouraged and coached by Management. I was welcomed by Team Members in a fun, quick paced and productive environment (never a dull moment.) Benefits are on par with the majority of large companies in the Boise area, however, work life balance is far superior. Balanced work week Mon-Fri with normal business hours, ample time off and compensated Holidays off as well. I would encourage anyone with a strong work ethic who enjoys a challenge to apply! The only con is no company provided parking .. the benefits however far out way the inconvenience of paying for parking.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Benefits and GREAT TEAM!
Cons
No Company provided parking
Great team - poor management
Engineer (Former Employee) –  NCOctober 3, 2018
Collaborative team, worked great together. But, management didn’t talk to each other or communicate to the entire team effectively. This created a department with much confusion where processes were misunderstood and/or never sent out.

As a contractor, the management staff does not treat you like a person but rather like a temporary being with no regard to your life. Clock in- clock out and it better be correct and on time.

Call out sick 1 time, and contracts are terminated.

Doesn’t matter what type of work you perform or puts forth an effort to be on time to work and follow all processes. Once management decides you have asked a question or raised an issue that is against the grain, you may find yourself with a terminated contract.
Pros
Interesting work. Great coworkers.
Cons
Contract work. Processes. Management.
fast paced
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Gardner, KSDecember 14, 2018
A typical work day at Century link were to be punctual and accurate. Follow all company protocols, assist with all of the customer's business needs. Management worked the escalation Que, and monitored all of the agent's metrics. The workplace culture were organized in team units. Teams were changed around periodically. The work shifts changed every three months. The hardest part of the job were the frequent equipment failures. The most enjoyable part of the job were the available online classes and tutorials available to enhance our careers.
stressfull w/management screaming sale, sale, sale
Consumer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNNovember 15, 2018
A typical day at work would be taking inbound calls from upset, angry and confused customers. Constant calls about their bill and why it was so high. After we regained customers trust, it was mandatory that we sell them something. If we did not try to make a sale on every call, we were coached on what we did wrong. Customer Service skills were not encouraged, and if we were able to keep the customer from cancelling there services w/CenturyLink, management did not praise you for keeping the customer, they berated you for not transferring the angry customer to retention and moving on to the next call in order for you to make a sale. CenturyLink could care less if they loose a loyal customer, they would rather have you make a sale to a customer who can't pay their bill and who will eventually be turned over to collections. they do not want consumer service reps, they want sales reps.
Pros
commission and hourly pay
Cons
no integrity, a used car salesman mentality, no encourgement to treat a customer fairly and w/respect. Just make a sale anyway you can.
Ok not great
Senior CNDC Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 12, 2019
The raises were inconsistent and rarely covered cost-of-living. The bonus structure is OK. The benefits are about what you would expect from a large company. It’s very hard to get a leg up or get into management. Overall not a bad Company to work for but certainly not the best either. I have no real issues or grievances with them. I feel I’ve been treated fairly and I have been there 20 years.
Pros
I work from home
Cons
No chance for out of cycle pay raise, or merit increase because of outstanding performance.
Could be a much better company!
Worker (Current Employee) –  Somewhere in TexasFebruary 4, 2019
The people I work with are great even my supervisor. However the company has grown so large with the many recent acquisitions they've lost sight of what's important.....the customer. Management is only interested in larger markets and simply doesn't do anything to take care of much less improve services in smaller rural markets. (that's where we are) Our work force has been cut to the bone, what few are left are worried about job security. Many feel our jobs will be done away with in lieu of contractors. This used to be a career and people cared, but now that the company is no longer interested in being successful.......it's now just a job. I come to work just to get a paycheck!

They don't try to sell or compete, it's as if they don't even want to be in business here! So many new processes and policies have been added without thought as to how they will affect those who will be required to use them. This makes it even harder for us to do our job. A change in upper management is needed so that focus can be back on the customer. Pay is good, benefits and coworkers are good but the company needs a lot of improvement!
Pros
Pay and benefits are good.
Cons
Constant worry of layoffs, company needs better focus
On site as a Contractor
Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 20, 2019
A typical day begins with looking or reviewing the tickets in the Sr Engineer queue. Sometimes they consist of LEC, or an occasional L3 routing issue. If it's LEC issue we usually call them directly and work the issue. Generally is a misconfiguration somewhere within the LEC network. Also, we could be assigned some implementation activities. These include 100M Ethernet upgrades, site moves and CMRs (change management requests.) That requires reconfiguration of the routers/ESM switch , circuit upgrade which could lead to LEC/Troubleshooting. Anything is possible

I have learned a good bit about the Alcatel Lucent 7750 on this job as they are used as the PE routers in the network.

My direct management is in Baltimore and generally hands off. I work with an onsite supervisor locally.

The workplace culture does not exist. I am a contractor onsite at a government facility. We only have a handful of Centurylink employees there.

The hardest part of the job has become the mundane routine of chasing LECs for problems I have no hand in actually fixing.

The enjoyable part of the job at this point is Centurylink does strike a good balance between work/home. They do allow enough time away from the job. Also, I do enjoy some of my immediate coworkers.
Pros
Work/life balance, Fto
Cons
Static network, no room for advancement
The company that is too big for itself
IT Ops Specialist (Former Employee) –  Littleton, CONovember 15, 2018
Integration of the different companies/departments was terrible. People were indifferent to interpersonal skills, and good culture. Company is very stuck in the 90s Corporate mentality, and is not very forward thinking. Very much a good ol' boy system still, but once you get in, you can usually stay in pretty well. Health care benefits are ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. They only have 1 medical plan, and it is outrageously expensive. On the flip side, the 401k is A+!
Pros
good longevity, good pay. excellent 401k. Great training opportunities available, lots of opportunities to move departments, and potentially advance.
Cons
Good 'ol boy system of promoting. No job culture, what-so-ever. No added benefits. BYOC and snacks. Good luck navigating the company structure.
It's ok but could be better
National Network OSP Engineer (Former Employee) –  Littleton, CODecember 11, 2018
When I worked for CTL they had forced overtime and ended up getting sewed for it. I didn't care much for my position being management didn't know what they were doing or even should be doing for that matter, my entire career was focused on record management and working for a manager who didn't know the first thing about record management was very tough. If I was in another group it would have been better.
Benefits
Cons
Fast paced and demanding work environment
Customer Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COAugust 21, 2018
The nature of the industry of telecommunications is a fast paced and often demanding work environment. After the acquisition of Level 3 Communications by CenturyLink, the company became disorganized and our CEO at the time, had to make a "tough" decision to not allow any promotions or raises while taking a $3 million personal compensation bonus. An already stressful job became even more stressful, with no clear end in sight other than the companies bottom-line goal of revenue growth. The overall morale in the company is "too much work to do, not enough time" , which makes it very difficult to get things done and achieve your goals.
Pros
great campus, good quality cafeteria, free gym membership
Cons
stressful work environment, poor leadership, no room for growth
Nice place to work
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 29, 2019
I left on my own due to no advancement in the direction I wanted to go. Worked a lot and work/life balanced leaned toward work. Benefits were good. Management team was good. Just wished there was upward mobility. I did attend and graduate from the Level 3 Emerging Leaders program. It was very beneficial.
Pros
Team
Cons
Promotion
Very Unprofessional and biased
Security Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAFebruary 10, 2019
I worked for the Centurylink on Washington St in Monroe, LA....one of the most horrible jobs I have ever held. I was not able to move to a different position at a different building because the managers always complained about them not having enough people if someone was transferred out. Hours were very unfair and EVERY WEEKEND was to be worked. The only time you got a weekend off was if you used personal time. The benefits were good, and vaca time was good too. Management was horrible and the building has rats, that they really didnt care about getting rid of. Favoritism is shown to about 90% of the staff while the remaining 10% were treated as if they didnt really matter.No lunch breaks either...have to beg other staff to go get lunch for you or order something to be delivered.
Pros
vacation time and health benefits
Cons
hours, management
CenturyLink
Branch Director, Business Services Sales (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 5, 2019
Great company and trying to do the right things. Combined Level 3 network will keep CTL competitive for the future. Great network and will improve provisioning once integration is complete.
Company is trying to lead in Cloud based services but the big 3 still dominate. CTL has an excellent portfolio of Network, Data Center and Managed Services. Govt group has been limited by Govt RFP delays, low price Govt evaluations, transition cost barriers and Govt Continuing Resolution on Federal Budget.
CTL L-3 has a bright future and is a great place to work for the person who wants a career in network based IT Services and Cloud.
Pros
Network Services Coverage, Sales Engineering Skills and Operations
Cons
AT&T Verizon 5G will pose a threat to access cost
Intolerant, incensitive coworkers and bad management
Repair Technician II (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 1, 2018
The only plus sides to working for Century link are what is provided because of the CWA Union (paid time off, raises, healthcare, ect). Managers and supervisors do not know the meaning of positive reinforcement or empathy. Don't apply if you're interested in future advancement with the company. There are employees there currently with 20+ years tenure who are still taking frontline calls. The micro-managing game is strong. Schedules are based on seniority, but more on company needs. Don't expect to have an early shift 3 - 4 years or less into it. Great for someone looking for a call center based job for a while, but not for people looking for a career.
Pros
Local 7102
Cons
Manager, supervisors
Flexible Work Schedule
Sr. Billing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, CODecember 4, 2018
CTL is a great place to work at, depends what department you are in.

Management could be better, lots of office politics, and reorgs are done, people moving around without a heads up. You are pretty much told what to do and have no say so. Management say open door policy. Sure is open door policy, but doesn’t necessarily mean they will take what you have to say into consideration. Management have no back bone as well, can’t make decisions and always need to go to higher ups for certain things that can be easily solved.

Buy your own office supplies because everything will be questioned if you submit an order or go scout around at emptied cubicles! 😡
Pros
Gym on site, flexible hours, able to work remote
Cons
Fast paced sales with billing questions
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Current Employee) –  La crosse wiOctober 12, 2018
Sales quota would increase but calls were not. Incentives were inreachable. Had to purchase own equipment and pay for phone and Internet as well. When I started two years ago they were firing everyone and starting over along with upper management. Since then a lot of changes and policies changes. No training or guidance to learn new policies or systems until they listened to call then coach you on it.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
No raises or incentives

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CenturyLink. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K
41.4K
31.1K

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight