CenturyLink Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 2,430 reviews matching the search See all 2,544 reviews
Fast pace
Took Customer service calls (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 24, 2018
There was alot of uncertainty when i worked there. the work place was great as far as environment and such but management wasn't great. it was very stressful
Great learning experience
Network Provisioning Technician I (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHApril 24, 2018
I'm a CCNA. For the 9 months I've worked there, I got a great learning experience about various network circuits, protocols, and how to troubleshoot them.
A complete waste of time
Global Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Anywhere, USAApril 23, 2018
It was an unfortunate experience and their change in business model in 2016 was extremely disappointing. They also didn't pay commissions that were due and their reasoning was because they didn't start billing (which they "accidently" delayed by a month).
Pros
Some decent people.
Cons
still owe me commission checks for deals before I left.
Not a good place to work
Business systems Technician (Former Employee) –  Alamosa, COApril 23, 2018
Upper management does not follow their stipulated unifying principles
too many acquisitions, too much upper management needing to pay themselves first
Pros
Good pay benefits
Cons
no real advancement
Most enjoyable part of my job
Sales & Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 23, 2018
The work-from-home, customer service position is amazingly convenient. All of the provided tools and equipment needed to run a successful office are consistently reliable and provides greater ease in job execution.
Pros
Technology
Benefits
Difficult place to work
IT Director - Business Resiliency (Former Employee) –  remoteApril 23, 2018
CenturyLink can't decide what they want to be when they grow up. They purchased several businesses only to not have a good strategic vision of what they wanted to do with the company. They didn't invest in their people for training, nor did they invest in the companies that they purchased and ended up selling them off or letting that segment of the business fail.
Pros
Good salary and decent benefits
Cons
Healthcare got to be extremely high, there was no strategic vision for the acquistions
Stressful
Service Assurance Technician (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 23, 2018
The job has enough stressors but now they are moving the work to another state. The managers don't have idea of how much training and skill set needed for the job are necessary and think they can get the new location up and working within 3 months. Several employees have been at this job for over 7 years and still learning and running into new situations. The company offers good benefits but did not take into consideration the skills and length of service several employees have in this department. The culture continues to change to look at the employee more as a number and not a person and contributor to the culture and job.
Great Starter Job
Bus Credit & Collections Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAApril 23, 2018
Been here 4 years I'm just ready for change and more advancements. Supervisors are great to work with. Co workers are older people great positive vibes
Work is challenging
Manager - construction and engineering (Current Employee) –  Colorado Out-StateApril 23, 2018
The requirement of working with multiple municipalities and permitting agencies, to complete work assignments, can be challenging. The threat of muni entry continues to weigh on the mind of some team members but at the present time, we continue to see new revenue opportunities.
Software tools constantly broken
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Town and Country, MOApril 21, 2018
Not good place to work, for a system administrator. Jobs are being farmed out overseas. No one is on-time for their job. No one is held accountable for anything. There is a great deal of "It's not my job" mentality.
Pros
Lax on "Political correctness"
Cons
Everything else.
It is micro monitoring company
Engineer (Current Employee) –  IndianaApril 20, 2018
Century link is a Micro monitoring company, Hence i survived 3.5 yrs on the same organization.
I learned may Technologies and real time issue,
we have communicate with our global customers and work accordingly
we managing customer servers and provide 24*7 customer services
Pros
Nill
good
Good job for the area but not much security.
OPERATIONS TECH III (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAApril 20, 2018
Centurylink seems to be in a constant state of flux with buying and attempting to integrate work cultures often before reaching stability from the last purchase.

I took early retirement and would have been happy to stay except for the constant worry that my job may not be there when I arrived.
Pros
Good benefits, pay mostly in line with position for this area.
Cons
Constantly changing job definitions with not much security that the job was going to last.
Difficult work environment- no work life balance. One acquisition after another has led to multiple systems, different leadership styles, & more.
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 19, 2018
Years of acquisitions and changes have led to a chaotic work environment and a business that still has much work to get things right. I had 9 years with the company working both in HR and on the Labor side. Centurylink acquired Qwest and the transition was difficult. Two years post acquisition I made the decision to leave the company and moved to Level 3. One year after being at Level 3 - it was announced that Centurylink would acquire Level 3. I took a package as I had no desire to return to Centurylink.
Pros
Pay and Benefits good
Cons
Stressful work environment - constant change - no work life balance
Awesome place to work in the IT / telecommunications field
IT Operations Technician II (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALApril 19, 2018
CenturyLink is a great place to work. The people are some of the best that I have ever worked with. It really feels like a family. The only downside is the lack of job security from the recent changes in company focus from telecommunications to cloud services. With the acquisition of Qwest, the company started going down hill and they have steadily been laying off people from the Local telephone section of the company.
Pros
The people are the best to work with, everyone feels like family
Cons
lack of job security
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COApril 19, 2018
CencuryLink is a great place to work.The work environment is lovely and the encouraging.

Team works together to provide a better customer experience.
Too Big and Slow
System Engineer (Windows/Unix/ESX) (Current Employee) –  MissouriApril 18, 2018
The company is too large and full of bureaucratic red tape when it comes to trying to make process changes for the better, and everything is metrics driven. Leadership is full of cowards as they receive backlash from senior leadership for enacting corrective action against lazy or poorly performing subordinates, which leads to teams full of un-productive staff and low moral for those that actually do work.

The roles are consolidated for cost savings, making one team responsible for the tasks of many.

The lack of automation in the work environment is also dismal, leading to many paid employees performing repetitive or mindless tasks like a digital assembly line.

Advancement within the company is strictly for exposure to more technologies and experience, as compensation is inadequate when moving to more senior positions. Compensation adjustments are not made based on market value of the position, but based on percentages from your original hiring salary.
Pros
Benefits are fair, fast paced environment leads to rapid experience gains
Cons
Majority of experience revolves around memorizing company-specific processes
Only constant is constant change
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 18, 2018
CenturyLink is a great company to get in the door with and has many opportunities for lateral movement and career development that would lead to great resume builders. They compensate fairly - in my experience- and have better than average benefits with not excellent, but fair or just above fair pay. However, after undergoing their recent merge the culture is taking a drastic shift and the secondary company has taken almost entire managerial control. The culture and job security for all is shaky at best. This is the 3rd merge in eight years, and the company does annual layoffs.
Pros
Better than average benefits
Cons
Annual layoffs, poor job security, managerial chaos
Okay Day
Business Retention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Apopka, FLApril 18, 2018
It's a great place, but hard to advance and supervisor is wishy washy he's super phony and is the devil to your face, but when he's around upper management he acts like an angel
Workout at work
Network Planning Associate (Current Employee) –  Broomfield, COApril 17, 2018
It's all about numbers, you have to be perfect. Management only cares about themselves and they don't take the time to encourage you and reward there people with a simple thank you. It is really laid back. Hardest part of the job is covering up for others when they don't give you the correct information and you are expected to figure out what you need. Stressful because we have to wear a lot of different hats and it is hard when your manager don't fight for you. It is enjoyable when we do office activities.
Cons
Health insurance; WFH
Very fulfilling internship
Network Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAApril 17, 2018
This was a 10 week internship focused on creating network maps. I learned alot about the telecom business and would recommend it to anyone interested. I interned in a beautiful technology center full of amenities and received great compensation.
Pros
Great workspace, amazing cafeteria, high pay
Cons
required intern project

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CenturyLink. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.4Fairygodboss Score

56%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss