Cerebral Palsy of Westchester Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
No Direction or Supervision
Behavior Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYApril 17, 2018
I worked at CPW for six months without being directly supervised in a position that required by NYS OPWDD to be supervised by a licensed psychologist, they were audited several times by NYS.
Peaceful work environment
Medical certified Nurse (Current Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYApril 10, 2018
Great company to work for understanding and flexible to fit your family's lifestyle by providing a peaceful constructive environment. Great work atmosphere with room for advancement.
Pros
Flexible to fit lifstyle
A great place to gain experience management dont care about staff just as long as theirs is a body
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYMarch 20, 2018
a great place to gain experience management don't care as long as theirs a body so sad because you grow to LOVE those kids i know i did every year!!!
Pros
Great place to get experience
Cons
Management sucks its about WHO YOU KNOW and thats not good at all
Very stressful environment. Run as fast as you can from this company
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTMarch 3, 2018
Worst job I ever had. Back stabbers and no one works. Staff sits around and gossips about coworkers. If you’re one of the coordinators favorites you are allowed to do this. Very money hungry organization that puts money in front of clients safety.
Pros
Cons
Management are liars and don’t care about staff.
Challenging but can be rewarding workplace
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYFebruary 14, 2018
Strictly to raise the quality of life for the residents. They are loving, fun, and want to be loved and understood. You have to have a strong work ethic and moral values in order to stand your ground even when other employees are doing wrong and make you an outcast if you address something that was done wrong. Everyone have different work ethics and I happen to be a person who believe in doing my best and working extra hard at my job even if that job is to clean toilette.
Worked in the Group homes, Great place to work
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  New Rochelle, NYFebruary 2, 2018
I worked in one of there group homes located in New Ro I can honestly say that if I did not relocate to this day I would be working there. When you work for CPW you feel like a family the clients and staff in a way become your family. the managers I had there were great also, they were very fexible and willing to work with you in regards to every situation. Whether you need to fix your schedule because of kids or school. I hope to one day be able to get back to the east coast and work for them.
Pros
Great environment, clients, managers
Cons
Certain older Employees
love and Support
Pre-Vocational Specialist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYNovember 25, 2017
Enjoy working with the client and i really Miss them it was a pleasure seeing that my presents had an impact on them and that they also miss me. I learned alot
The staff can be very immature and unprofessional at times
Day Habilitation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYNovember 13, 2017
Many activities for the clients. Safe place for the staff and clients. Many health procedures in place for the staff in regards to how to handle different situations on a daily basic.
very good company to work for
PAYROLL CLERK (Former Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYOctober 27, 2017
A typical work day consists of collecting and tabulating time sheets, Putting them in alphabetical order then entering them in system,(paychex).
We paid on a bi-weekly basis so on a non payroll week I would post payroll journals from excel do filing and work on accruals (sick, vacation,personal).
I learned how to be a great team player.
Management was exceptional and so was workplace culture.
The hardest part of my job was getting my source documents submitted on a timely basis. The most enjoyable part of my job was paying 400 people without a hitch every 2 weeks.
Pros
1 hour lunch time and breaks at our discretion
Cons
no pension
The worst.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Direct care.September 1, 2017
CP/W. better known as the 13th grade.
I have never seen such a disconnect between management and staff. The fact that they are $1,000,000 in the red says it all.
They are using money for god knows what.
Management have bankers hours and perks. HR Director refused to take part in firing any more staff because people don't like her.
The worker bees get overworked and underpaid.
Location is in the middle of nowhere. They brag about the shuttle they provide. If and when it shows up good luck.
Lack of training for staff.
I think they require a HS diploma. You would not know it. Just warm bodies to say they have staff. You get what you pay for.
This Christmas. Choice between a gift card and a Christmas party. We took the $25 because we are sick of being insulted by management thinking they are one of us.
Not one of them could do direct care.
If I hear one more time how the director started out doing direct care.
Pros
Not one.
Cons
Overworked, underpaid, understaffed, mismanaged.
The I out of I can't
Program Coordinator - Day Habilitation Program (Former Employee) –  Purchase, NYAugust 11, 2017
Typical day was attending staff meeting, data entry, spending time in the classroom, and writing lesson plans. Management was hands on, super involved in the classroom. Very large turnover with staff, stressful on management! Difficult to certify staff, medication, community inclusion left up to management! Not enough drivers with CDL, this was the hardest part of the job. Unrealism goals for both staff and consumers. Most enjoyable part was interacting with clients.
Pros
Clean working enviorment.
Cons
Customers report to the center dirty, not enough staff because of the heavy turn over.
Cerebral Palsy Westchester
Behavior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYJuly 22, 2017
My experience at CPW was very positive. Supportive team approach, and as the Behavioral Specialist I was on beeper throughout the day was on call for behavioral emergencies. It was fast paced (which I loved) and challenging.
Pros
Was on a school schedule so I was off on snow days!
Cons
Lack of training with some of the staff members, but I was able to educate them on basic behavioral approaches.
Advocacy or lack thereof
Former staff (Former Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYJuly 20, 2017
When first hired at CPW, the experience was enjoyable as it was a new field for me. The ability to truly advocate for those with/without a voice, or under served was a pleasure. The idea behind active programming really allowed for staff to plan and execute creative, meaningful experiences for the Participants.

There is a huge disconnect between management and staff. One of the quick solutions is being reactive opposed to proactive.
Pros
Staff tend to work together to get through the day, If ioverworked for $10/hr, low/no benefit factor
Cons
Lack of incentive to work, poor/horrible communication b/n mgmt and staff, lack of help/support, terrible working conditions, no resources for building employee knowledge base, trainings are a joke, lack of staff support
Good Start
Residence Counselor (Former Employee) –  Rye, NYJuly 10, 2017
I worked at CPW a very long time ago, but it was great. I enjoyed the people I worked with. I can't remember much since it was so long ago, but I did enjoy it.
Poor organizing
Community Day Habilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYMay 24, 2017
The whole company is going in the red. upper management only watch out for friends and family members back. the workload doesn't and never matches the pay. Most staff are very childish, making the environment uncomfortable to work in.
Pros
Cons
everyting
Loving individuals with disability.
Direct Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYMay 22, 2017
My days at work are good. The individuals are understanding and cooperative. I learned how to adjust to each of their needs. Management is unfair, lie and only think about themselves. The hardest part of the job is listening to the lies management tells when they try to mislead staffs, and the point that they pay us $10 without raises to do a lot of work. The most enjoyable part of my job is taking the individuals to places so that they can live an adventurous life even though they are wheelchair bound.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Fraudulent Company who under pay their employees
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Rye, NYMay 2, 2017
A typical day involves 2 staff members overseeing classrooms of 15 individuals, when the ratio should be 4:12 individuals. Overworked & def underpaid.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Poor management, no organization, lack of proper communication, under the table pay wages for select preferred, favoritism, no promotion from within company, filthy & mold infested work location(s), shifty administration
great place to work
Habilitation Specialist (Teacher) (Former Employee) –  New Rochelle, NYApril 30, 2017
Well organized company. Great training. Management team are a great support team. Only thing I wish that were given more time to write up are notes
Pros
free parking
Cons
not enough time to do my case mgt notes
Supportive coworkers
Consumer Liaison (Former Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYMarch 14, 2017
Enjoyed the experience at CPW. The staff and my coworkers were a pleasure. My supervisor was SUPERIOR. She lead by example and never asked me to do anything she herself was unwilling to do.
n/a
Day Habilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYOctober 27, 2016
typical day with working with the consumers was great. its always good to be able to help others in need. i learned patience and team work makes the day go by quick