CertainTeed Employee Reviews

Work schedul;e
Operator (Former Employee) –  McPherson, KSNovember 14, 2018
I worked a rotating 12 hour shift with 2 days on, 2 days off, 3 days on, 2 days off, 2 days on, and 3 days off. Once in a while, I would have to work a 16 hour day when someone for the next shift was unable to work.
Here at CertainTeed we make duct liner insulation for the HVAC division and it is hot and sometimes very uncomfortable.
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXNovember 8, 2018
A typical day at work is making sure that production is running the right product because we could have a schedule change at the drop of a hat and we have to be ready for that.
I have learned over the years of being a supervisor then productive manager that you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try or what you do.
The management here is outstanding everyone handles their business professionally and honestly.
The culture here is very positive and everyone works together to meet our end goals.
The hardest part of the job is working in our insulation environment. It gets all over you and it itches.
The most enjoyable part of my almost 15 years was working with the people here in our plant. The people here are second to none and they always delivered.
Pros
Good paying job with great benefits.
Cons
Not be able to surround the core people with new people.
It all depends on the manager you have
Sales Service Rep II, Pricing & Dev (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PANovember 8, 2018
The culture and the intentions of the company are great -- but everything is at the discretion of your manager-- that's what makes your job good or bad.

the company offers working from home, extended vacation times, ping pong, other games, organized sports, company events all the time, but if your manager does not allow you to participate, then -- you don't get to enjoy those perks!

the same goes for promotions. some managers follow the company policy to promote within, and help you advance, pay for your classes etc, som managers (like the one I have) does not want to let you go - and only wants to pay for classes related to the current job -- although eh company says, pay for ANY classes that can be used for a job within the company. I currently work to support Finance, however, my background and what I want to do is in Supply Chain. That's one of the reasons I am looking for a job outside of CT.

overall as a company - it's good. but ... everything -- EVERYTHING is at the discretion of your manager. good manager = great experience, bad or not so good/understanding manager = no so good experience.
Safety
Maintenance/Electrician (Former Employee) –  Social Circle, GANovember 6, 2018
Too much stress about safety that job could not be preformed with out going through hoops. Maintenance shop very well equipped. Too many eyes woried about what you were doing insteed of what they were doing.
Good company
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 22, 2018
culture needs improvement. compensation is good. channel conflict makes job difficult. often competing with distribution accounts for same direct business
CertainTeed
Territory Manager Southeast Region (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaOctober 16, 2018
Outstanding company in all aspects, highly recommended! There are many Business Units within the organization, and I am in the Technical Insulation Business Unit, which is highly specialized, and challenging, but rewarding.
Great place to work for those new to Industry
Packer (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXOctober 14, 2018
This facility is great for those starting out in a more industrial type of work environment, the staff are very supportive and the managers are fair and reasonable, hours are reasonable and you are rotated to different stations every couple of days to keep it fresh, they walk you through every step of what you are supposed to be doing where ever you go. overall, an enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Paid lunch time, Showers on site.
Cons
Fiberglass
Good people, poor maintenance practices.
Engineering and Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Proctor, WVOctober 10, 2018
I ran the Maintenance Department for Certain Teed. They were decent people to work with. 1. They were very poor in their on-boarding training program. I received no training. 2. I came on-board as a Certified Maintenance and Reliability Professional, and they would not listen to any of my recommendations for improvements to the Maintenance practices in the plant. Their program was reactive maintenance, vice Pro-active maintenance, and they would not make recommended improvements.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Would not change to improve Maintenance Practices
Good job
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 1, 2018
Good job if you don't want a life outside of work good benefits good pay advancement bad thing is you work a 7 day rotation so it's difficult to have a life outside of work management sucks
Pros
Good pay good benefits
Cons
Working hours management
Relaxed atmosphere
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 12, 2018
I was disappointed to be laid off from CertainTeed. I looked forward to many years with the company. The hardest part of the job was the rotating schedule.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Layoffs
ok if all you want is money
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Oxford, NCSeptember 11, 2018
Hot, dirty work. Overtime is mandatory. Low per hour pay, but adds up with overtime. Year end bonus was good-based on plant output. No sick leave, if you are out sick, no pay.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
No sick leave
Certainteed Purchased GS Roofing while I was there
Pricing Coordinator / Office Manager Regional (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 9, 2018
I worked daily hours ad after hours from home with salesman on deals
How to be diverse in multi states
Management was awesome
Workplace was relaxed and family environment
Multi tasking for different salesmen and products in multi states and products / distributors. The 2000
complaint computer change and working the SAP conversion helping write pricing program.
Knowing all pricing was accurate for so many salesman and distributors multi state
Stay away from Russellville Alabama Plant
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ALSeptember 8, 2018
This plant needs union support. This plant has lost over 65 percent of its work force since new management has arrived in 2016. I would not recommend anyone to work at this location.
Pros
Cons
Needs Union Support.
Too many bosses
MINE SHIFT MECHANIC (Current Employee) –  Nashville, ARSeptember 7, 2018
They just started doing employee reviews which I had asked for since I started 3 years prior. There are too many people telling you different things to do throughout the day and sometimes activities are conflicting. Enjoyed my co-workers.
Pros
Good coworkers, free lunch sometimes, safety first.
Cons
Too many conflicting bosses
Company
Quality Control Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Peachtree City, GASeptember 1, 2018
A Great Company to work for. In summer time it is very hot inside the plant and winter it's very cold. Company provide equipment for the different environments.
Pros
Yearly Bonus
Cons
Plant Environmental
Can be a physically demanding job.
Mill Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAAugust 30, 2018
Straight 8 hours shifts, no smoking, overtime for any work over eight hours, overtime for excess of five days, double time for seventh day work, holiday pay when off and triple time for working national holidays.

Work is dusty, hot or cold depending on the season, you'll sweat in either event and chances are you'll be dirty and tired when you get off.

Nowadays they provide a work uniform though they always subsidized work boots and safety glasses.
Pros
Well paid for the work you do.
Cons
Work is more physical than mental.
A fast paced physically demanding and mentally challenging workplace.
Warehouse Floor Supervisor/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 26, 2018
Going to work at the Denver Warehouse is never a dull time. You are involved with every facet of Warehouse Operations: shipping, receiving, inventory, material storage, faciility/equipment upkeep, safety, usable space maximization, equipment operation, proper tool/PPE usage, and customer relations.
Pros
Great learning opportuinties. Excellent company support.
Cons
Environmental stress and changing work conditions.
Too many meetings strategy moves too often
Vice-President of Corporate Marketing (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PAAugust 16, 2018
Nothing is ever given time to work. Silos are strong, many meetings and people are generally nice. Lots of reorganization going on so maybe things will improve. Too stuck in the old ways of doing things. The French matrixes environment is also a challenge
Fast pace
TPM Maintenance Technician Lead (Former Employee) –  Semora, NCAugust 7, 2018
New facility was good learning experience while staring up a brand new state of the art plant. a lot of new and different management processes - management philosophy was ever changing.
Enjoyed My Time
Customer Service/Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Meridian, MSAugust 7, 2018
20 years at this company and I enjoyed the people and the job. It was a fast paced day processing orders, talking with customers and shipping trucks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CertainTeed. Our community is ready to answer.