CGH Medical Center Employee Reviews

Stress
HOUSEKEEPER (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILJanuary 8, 2018
It was really stressful working here i felt like i had people looking over my solder when i was doing my job or people talking about me when i got up and left in the brake room and the management was bad.
Active and mental exercise
Delivery Driver / Linen Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sterling, IL 61081January 7, 2018
Each Day varies so some days are busy while others are more relaxed. It all depends on how much people ordered as well as how many packages we get in. After the packages are received and other orders are filled I then deliver the supplies to its designated department or person through out the day.

I have had a wonderful time working under my current manager. She works very hard to ensure her staff are safe and content with our equipment. She also rewarded the staff with lunches after going through a machine failure that put us behind a few days of work.

The overall workplace culture is energetic and playful. The hospital loves to get to know people and do what they can to help people heal and grow. The hospital has people from all walks of life and is a wonderful place of employment.

The hardest part of the job is getting people to sign for packages that do not belong to said person, but to their department.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people and being able to help make their day easier with my delivery times. As well as getting to meet new people through out my time at the hospital.
Pros
Employee Discounts and Paid time off
Cons
Icy roads in the winter
Fun place to work, until you have to deal with management.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILNovember 28, 2017
On a typical day I would room up to 22 patients and loved my co-workers and the doctor that I worked under.
I was fired due to having gotten pneumonia and broke my foot right after. They stated that there was a policy that says that there is no excused absences. I was never given the ability to see this policy and there is nothing about it in the attendance policy that I was given.
I would recommend that if you never get sick, it is a great place to work, but if you have health issues, don't work at CGH.
Pros
good health insurance
Cons
not so great management
Triage Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILJuly 10, 2017
This was my first job in nursing and I love working here. There is not a bad thing I could say about my employment with this company and oftentimes wish I had never left.
Normal place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Sterling, IL 61081June 5, 2017
I cleaned any area I was suppose to clean that day. I learned to make hospital beds sanitize areas really well. Management was fine. The ladies I worked with were very helpful and trained me very well. The hardest part of the job was maybe not a stable work schedule until I finally got established. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to the aptients.
Pros
Good Insurance
Cons
Good
LPN (Current Employee) –  ClinicMay 3, 2017
Good work environment. Great people. Worked with my family life. Alot of life long people work here and are very loyal to this facility. Nice and clean.
Nice co-workers within the department
PRN Housekeeping Aide (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILMarch 28, 2017
I only worked as a call in as needed in housekeeping, which was not often. Nice co workers within the department but I did not feel as though I really fit in there. Other staff outside of the department would never acknowledge you or even looked at you, like they were better than you..
hit and miss
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Sterling ilMarch 6, 2017
The job its self was not bad and I found it very easy to accomplish tasks in a timely manner. The management however was NOT good and made the job unbearable. Most of the other employees in housekeeping were very lazy and expected everyone to do their jobs to. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
enjoyed the patients
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILMarch 1, 2017
nurses and all staff were great to work with. best part of ther job was getting to know know different patientds and helping them. very clean enviroment
Great organization for employment
Operations Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILNovember 28, 2016
CGH is a vested employer in continuing education. They are an organization that is committed to practicing great customer service. The warm and caring atmosphere is always present and the willingness to assist individuals in need is only an employee away.
Great place to gain experience
Succession Planning and Staff Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILMay 3, 2016
I worked here a couple of days a week for a summer internship. I was able to connect with a lot of people and gain admirable experience that seems to have impressed other employers whom I have since talked to.
Fast paced Oral Surgery Office
National Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sterling, ILDecember 3, 2015
A typical day at work involves sterlizing instruments used to extract teeth with either a local anesthetic or general sedation. We remove one tooth to all four wisdon teeth. We also do full mouth extractions for denture placements as well as dental implants. These procedures usually take place in the morning. In the afternoon, we see patients for consulation visits for extractions and post op visits.
Pros
Hour long lunch, great co-workers, fast paced
Cons
72 hour pay period, pay
Good place to work with friendly and helpful employees.
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILAugust 18, 2015
Learned a lot of medical terminology as well as getting to know what doctors require when ordering certain things. Co-workers where friendly and helpful. Management was understanding and helped when they could. When it was busy and lots of patients admitted it gets pretty overwhelming.
Pros
Administration values employees and shows the apprieation.
Cons
Short breaks
not busy enough
Insurance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILJuly 28, 2015
Bergner's had friendly staff but there wasn't much work that needed to be done, a lot of staff stood around most of their shift. The hours were being cut for the full-time employees when the store wasn't busy.
A smaller hospital with a lot to offer both employees and the community.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILJuly 16, 2015
Very clean, comfortable hospital for employees and patients. Facility and equipment kept up to date. Very community oriented. Staff is usually friendly and encouraging. I only left because I relocated.
Pros
Pay scale is very good for the area.
Cons
Same work related politics.
Learning about different people and helping others get up to par
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILJune 24, 2015
A typical day at CGH Medical Center was going in getting report from night shift CNAs about the current patients, then going into your patients room introducing yourself and help the patients order breakfast and start their morning routines. Then through the rest of the day collect specimen, help the nurses, chart, help patients with whatever they needed.
I learned a lot at CGH Medical Center such as how to handle difficult situations,
A lot of the co-workers on the medical floor were very rude and unwilling to help.
The hardest part of the job was getting attached to patients and something happening to them.
Them most enjoyable part of the job was being able to be around different people, and learning about people's lives.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
The rude co-workers
Tight knit and fast paced work environment
Cardiac Monitor Technician/CNA (Current Employee) –  Sterling, ILJune 9, 2015
Over the almost past two years I have been employed at CGH Medical Center, there has not been a day where I have not learned something new from either one of my fellow Cardiac Monitor Technicians/CNAs or from an RN or MD. The environment is positive and I love learning from everyone around me. There can be days, where with the high census and flow of patients, the workload can become stressful, but this has only allowed me to learn to multi-task more efficiently and keep my head above the stress. I have become very close to my fellow employees and truly feel that we are a family. I love going into work and seeing their faces.
Productive and friendly environment
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Sterling, ILMay 27, 2015
A typical day includes cleaning. I learned which chemicals to use for certain purposes and the effectiveness of working with other co-workers.Those in management positions are firm, but friendly. They also are very responsive when informed of a problem. The co-workers provide a welcoming environment and everyone helps other co-workers when needed. Everyone is really hard-working which is effective for a good working environment. The hardest part is that this job physically wears you out. The most enjoyable part of this job is working with amazing, hard-working co-workers.
Fun workplace
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILJanuary 11, 2015
Very rewarding, fast paced job. Best and most experienced/educated Cath Lab in the area. My Coworkers are like extended family. Very fun group of people to be around.
wonderful organization
Director of the Patient Experience (Former Employee) –  Sterling, ILSeptember 7, 2014
My work was challenging and exciting. I learned so much about the Studer philosophy and grew as a patient experience director. I enjoyed the people and the culture was dynamic. The most difficult part of the job was waiting patiently for culture to change and for improvements to be seen in the metrics. The best part is the people who are so devoted to their work.
Pros
Great benefits and salary
Cons
very few.