Challenger School Employee Reviews

Fantastic Introduction to Teaching
5th Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 23, 2018
This was my first year as a professional education, and I thank Challenger for opening the door that has allowed me to teach all of these years. I taught 5th grade and had excellent support from my coworkers.
Challenger School
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 26, 2018
I would recommend Challenger to parents who are looking for a top notch education for their children. Their cirricullum is amazing and they are the best.

However, I would not recommend working for Challenger. The have extremely high turn over in their staff due to poor Management.
Great if you don't care for creativity
Pre-K/ Kinder-prep Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAFebruary 18, 2018
The team was great and Challenger sets a great academic foundation. The problem is, they sell with traditional learning. Times are changing. If they can figure out how to update their model, I think they can be on top again.

I left mainly because the Director was had very poor management skills. Every year she lost almost half her team and she thought that was normal? It's not. She was very self-absorbed making other perspectives challenging.

I went in excited, but caught a bad year that made me realize my talents was best used elsewhere.
Pros
Great foundation, no need for overtime, held clients accountable
Cons
poor management team
Terrible work environment, headmasters are the worst.
Middle School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTJanuary 18, 2018
A hostile and toxic work environment from the top down. After the founder died, it's been nothing but downhill. I've never worked in a worse environment. I had 2 headmasters in my time there. One was a complete ignoramus who constantly offended parents and students. The other was an unbending dictator who had terrible ideas and was verbally abusive to anyone, staff or student, who pointed out how bad her ideas were.

Everything good about this company can be attributed to the children and their parents. I would not return to this company for any amount of money.
Pros
The kids and the parents are great.
Cons
Challenger is horribly managed.
no comment
PROGRAM DIRECTOR - Challenger School, CA (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAJanuary 14, 2018
Very well designed curriculum the students are extraordinary with amazing work ethic some of the material is way above the age level despite that the students do very well
Excellent
PRESCHOOL TEACHER (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 9, 2018
The staff is very accepting and willing to teach others The Challenger Way. The company is very fair logistically. There is a lot of job security, but it is also pretty difficult to move up along the totem pole.
Awful place to work.
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Holladay, UTDecember 20, 2017
Their curriculum is amazing and can't be beat. The management is a complete joke. They don't care about their employees at all. Its do as I say not as I do. You can't ask questions about your job and are expected to obey like its the military.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
Awful management
Great for kids, horrible for staff
Headmaster (Former Employee) –  Farmington, UTNovember 15, 2017
Challenger teaches the kids to be independent and freedom minded. Constitutional rights and American Exceptionalism are ingrained in the students. Staff are treated as serfs. I was actually told that my opinion did not matter so I should learn to keep it to myself.
Pros
Awesome relationship with kids and parents
Cons
Serfdom
Very positive experience.
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 6, 2017
I appreciated the training Challenger provided, as well as the supplies. The curriculum was excellent. The best part was working with the students and being a part of their growth and learning.
Pros
Training
Cons
Lots of extra hours for preparation.
Loved working with the children
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 2, 2017
Loved watching the children grow in classes, learning their letters, numbers, science, logic, art, hand writing, singing, playing inside and outside with others.
Pros
The children
Cons
No healthcare or dentist
Challenger School
Extended Care Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 11, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Challenger school. The most stressful part of the day was rounding up the children for recess and homework time. The least stressful was sending them home with their parents. The workplace was very amiable.
Pros
good pay, good experience
Cons
limited number of days off
Although it depends on the campus...
Art Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 11, 2017
I was able to work with 5 different headmasters at 4 different campuses and I enjoyed my teaching positions. I started as an intern and I taught kindergarten through eighth grade. I subbed for all subjects and enjoyed working with my coworkers. The hardest part of the job would be the lack of communication from the headmasters. Although you are expected to meet the standards of Challenger, you are to figure out a lot of the details on your own. Behavior management is not consistent with all teachers and each teacher has their own style of giving directions. Overall, if you aren't afraid to ask for help and demonstrate characteristics of a capable, self-motivated, persistent worker, you'll succeed.
Pros
monthly credit of $5 for school lunch
Cons
If you are hourly, you do not get paid for lesson planning outside of work hours.
School and education is AMAZING but corporate politics are not
Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 19, 2017
Teachers are dedicated to the lives of the students in their class. Management does not know how to properly support teachers. The methodology of the school is second to none.
A place where you never stop learning
Curriculum Specialist (current position) (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTJune 15, 2017
My favorite thing about my job is that there is something new to learn every single day, and every day presents a new challenge and a new obstacle to overcome.
Challenger school
Extended teacher/preschool teacher (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 28, 2017
I had a great experience over all working for challenger school. They paid me enough to live on, and gave my son free school. It was a great experience overall.
Fun teaching the children, but no autonomy was given to teachers.
Preschool and Kindergarten Teacher (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 23, 2017
I enjoyed teaching the children and making a difference with them. However, the teachers were not given any autonomy by management when it came to classroom and how things were taught.
Very political never flexible
Preschool teacher (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 16, 2017
The curriculum is wonderful, and the students are great. I think that most the teachers there give it their all. I also truly believe that your experience is different depending on where you go.

However, the management can never agree on regulations. They treat you according to what job you have there and not like a human. They will force you to watch political movies and give you a raise if you fit in to their political mold. I've heard the director lie to parents and make my co workers cry on more than a few occasions. The pay is horrible, and the benefits are even worse. I had to quit because I couldn't work for a dishonest company anymore.
Pros
Great curriculum
Cons
No benefits
Great and fun place to work
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 28, 2017
Challenger is an adorable company that has its students as their number one priority. Everyone is very close and it is a very embracing and non-judgmental place to work.
Fun place to work
EXTENDED CLASS TEACHER (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 28, 2016
Teach and look after kids from K-8th grade. Very flexible work hours. Many roles to fill great for part time or full time.
Cultish - Expect to be Dispensable...
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTMay 28, 2015
Your experience will vary widely depending on which campus you work for. I have worked for both critical and encouraging directors as well as experienced and inexperienced directors. I have seen very inexperienced people given huge promotions based on political affiliation alone, despite poor performance reviews in the workplace from parents and co-teachers. If you ask for more than three days off during the school year, you will be asked to resign or be fired. Ask anyone. The health insurance is very, very expensive. A co-worker mentioned that she wasn't able to opt-in to Challenger's health insurance plan because it would have cost more than her monthly paycheck. Another coworker who has worked there for almost two decades makes the same hourly salary as the new intern. If you'd like to be promoted, be very vocal about your Libertarian political views. Expect to be dispensable.
Pros
Child attends school for free; a good director can make 95% of the job very fun.
Cons
Time off not approved, very serious buddy system problem, children expected to be little adults too often