Champaign County Nursing Home Employee Reviews

Overworked and underpaid
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILOctober 5, 2017
CCNH once was a great place to work and for the elderly population to reside, but has tremendeously diminished over time. I would not reccommend anyone who want to be appreciated as a team member to work here. Always being threatened to close down. Stays in local headlines
It's very stressful and very fast pacef
Cook (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILSeptember 11, 2017
The job was ok just didn't like the manager and the union representatives really didn't have your back. If they wanted to they could throw you under the bus that can also lead to firing people
Pros
Like the residents
Cons
You had to pay for your lunch
this was a very successful job,loved working here
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILSeptember 10, 2017
my day to day working for my residents was a great job,i loved working there being able to work with families,it was always something going on with the residents to make there stay an enjoyable stay there even for there families to know that they re in good hands
Great Experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJuly 10, 2017
The work day varied in the beginning as an intern, but eventually became more routined. The typical work day consisted of auditing facesheets, performing quarterly and annually MDS and Abuse/ Neglect forms. I learned to ins and outs of a Social Service Department
Short
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILJune 16, 2017
Working short comes with the territory in the Nursing field, but with an uncertain future, County is having a tough time getting potential employees to apply, and loses them frequently during the orientation process or shortly thereafter. It's a tough place to work, but it's one of the best paying places in town, and the union is definitely a plus.
Pros
3 day workweek (12 hour shifts), benefits are great, plenty of opportunity for overtime and bonuses
Cons
the work is hard, demanding families, potential risk of self and/or residents due to working very short
worked as certified nurses assistant
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMay 2, 2017
I enjoyed helping the elderly patients in the nursing home with their daily needs which included bathing feeding and dressing the residents. we worked as a team and I learned so much about patients with dementia.
Pros
helping people
Cons
cleaning dirty messes.
Staffing
Cook (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILApril 18, 2017
The job itself is great. The management absolutely sucks. I have never worked in a more non-professional and messy environment such as this one. There are days when there are only two people working in the kitchen. How are two people supposed to give quality service to 200 residents? I think that if they get rid of the management and start all over then it could be a really great place.
Pros
Paid vacations, Benefits
Cons
Short staffing, Management
productive fun place to work
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILFebruary 8, 2017
fun environment enjoy working here staff is very nice, residents are so nice and lovable.food is ok! I do the same thing day in day out. I love working with the elderly. The hardest part is when they die. cleaning dining room
Pros
free lunch good benfits
Cons
not always staffed everyday
Productive put in 7 hrs total
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILDecember 19, 2016
Good Money Good job just lots of drama understaffed lots of overtime Management sucked loved the patients lol re of problems w kitchen food staff etc .
Pros
Lunches bonuses
Stressful work environment
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILJanuary 11, 2016
This company has a point system; which I had never worked with. I had a couple of new illnesses come up and even with doctor's notes points were accumulated. I understand that the job needs to be done; I also understand that when you are ill; you should stay home as not to spread the illness, especially in this type of environment.

I was hired as an accounting clerk, which I am not. I was told that I would be working with families to get Medicaid applications filled out and to track the progress. I was thrown into talking with resident family members about their statements, making collection calls, inputting information into the medical system with little or no training; just a go do this.

I really liked working with the residents and family members. I did not like not being trained and told to do things that were new to me.
Pros
Some coworkers, residents, family members
Cons
Some coworkers, no training, being held responsible for previous persons not doing what they should have.
Must love working with the elderly.
food service (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILDecember 10, 2015
I do the same thing day in day out. I love working with the elderly. The hardest part is when they die. Management loves to gossip. Some co-workers are really lazy. No work/life balance. It is a 24/7 facility. So you work nights, weekends, and holidays. No accountability because of lack of management. Can not take a vacation unless you find someone to work for you.

Benefits are great. IMRF, time and a half on holidays, unlimited vacation, sick pay due too tops time.
Pros
Working with elderly, free popcorn, casual friday
Cons
lazy co-workers, work weekends and holidays
productive an fun place to work
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILJune 3, 2015
Enjoy working with different people. cleaning dining rooms. working with elderly. Co-workers are great to work with variety of people.
n/a
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 26, 2014
I enjoy the work I do with this company. I am not a fan of the 2nd shift schedule, and rotating every other weekend.
Non-typical atmosphere
Adult Day Care Assist (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILJune 9, 2014
A typical day at work involves feeding meals, chatting and playing games with clients, toileting, and bathing.
Pros
No lifting and a relaxed pace
Cons
not much busy work to pass the day
Internship (college)
Intern (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILMay 1, 2014
I did this as a intern for college graduation. I loved working there I leaned and experience alot while working there.
Pros
free lunch, stories told by the eldery
Very good place too work
C.N.A (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILApril 7, 2014
Very busy environment overall good place.. Opportunity to utilize your nursing skills
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Point System
Productive working enviroment caring for residents
CNA (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILJanuary 31, 2014
A typical work day at CCNH begins by checking in at the nursing suite. After checking in, I go to my assigned unit, receive report from my nurse, and fill out the assignment sheet for my unit. I then begin my shift by walking the floor with the CNA's who previously had my assignment, checking alarms and other safety devices. After accepting the floor I check the vital signs and weights of the residents whom my nurse has requested. Showering, toileting, and transferring my residents as needed then takes place. I provide activities for my residents on the unit and work as a team with my coworkers to make the night run smoothly for both the residents and nurses.
Working as a CNA at CCNH has its hard times. I myself work full-time on the dementia unit, which requires a lot of patience. However, despite dodging punches, kicks, and bites all day, I wouldn't say that is the hardest part. I would say the hardest part of my job is watching residents decline. As a CNA you not only care for your residents, but you care about them. You spend more time with them than some of your own family. In a way they become your family, and it is never easy watching a family member decline, or even pass away.
Working on a dementia unit, you must learn to roll with the punches, literally and figuratively. This is the best part of my job. I like to be on my toes, so figuring out how to deal with certain behaviors is very enjoyable for me. We never know what to expect when coming into work, so it's always an interesting day.
Pros
Meeting so many people with so many different stories to tell
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Good Training
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILSeptember 13, 2013
A very busy place to work.Awesome trainers. Being trained to standards
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILApril 25, 2013
A good place to work. Most of the workers are friendly. The hardest part I would say is when we were short staffed and not enough help available
Pros
great benefits and good workers
Cons
turnover rate
first time experience was good, good start in caring for others.
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILMarch 11, 2013
assist patients under nurse supervision, team player, great communicaton skills, miost important meeting the patient and family satifaction.