Channel Islands Social Services

Channel Islands Social Services Employee Reviews

Part-time job, mostly based off the needs of families. There is always enough work but can be hard to be on the same schedule as other families. Great job to make connections, is super flexible and pays well.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not Guarenteed full time hours
It's a very rewarding job with competitive pay but can be difficult to get hours at times. Management cares and is always calling to make sure you're doing well, which makes you feel like they care about their employees.
Channel Islands Social Service is a great company. They make sure that their clients are well taking care of as well as their employee. They make sure the employees are comfortable but well up to date on their job description.
Good job opportunity. Friendly and helpful staff. Pay is fair and you get sick time. They also provide free job training as well as monthly employee training classes.
Over all the company is the best I have ever work for . The training class r very good, The pay is excellent , everyone that works their are nice , helpful and they make u feel welcomed,
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Workplace culture is great. Small family owned agency, environment is very friendly. Assisting local families in the community is very a rewarding. Can be overwhelming at times.
They have very good communication in the office weather it be from you renewing your car insurance, errors on time sheets, or anything else they ever have questions on.
Great company to work for! They strive to make you a great caregiver, they offer no cost training, workshops, and great management that is consistent in communicating with you. They care about the clients they serve and match based on a good fit for the client and caregiver. It's enjoyable being of service to the clients and families.
I felt like I was making a difference in the office for other workers by helping them with anything that they couldn’t get to and by helping them I felt like I was making their day easier and less stressful. I know they really appreciated the extra help.
Pros
I could work at my own pace.
Cons
Limited things to do around the office.
The work is light and relaxing. There's little to zero pressure. When you go to the office, the staff are very accommodating and helpful. Free trainings are given to workers.
job experience will always be different for everyone since it will depend on whose child you are taking care of, but if you love working with children, then this is the place for you.
Working for Channel Islands social services is a great job for people who need flexibility. One of the few jobs where you can have 100% control of your schedule. The job requires patience, social skills, and to be cpr certified.
Great start for me. I was able to use my talents of communications and childcare. I would like to work elsewhere to further my skills and apply them to make a difference in the workplace.
Working with special needs children is challenging but ultimately very rewarding. These families appreciate your work more than you could care to understand, I know since my little sister is mentally disabled. If this job suits your skills, definitely pursue it.
Company treats its employees well but the office staff bad. Managers play favorites with staff causing office conflict. There are conflicts of interest within the organization. There is no consistency or structure in the office. Policies are loosely followed & do not apply to those management favors. Ceo enables hr manager despite their poor work effort, lack of organization and ability to perform effectively. Staff in turn does not feel comfortable addressing issues within the office & this causes friction amongst the depts.
Cons
HR manager is moody and unstable
Official response from Channel Islands Social Services
January 24, 2019
The author of this review was terminated by the CEO in August 2018 for reasons which are not appropriate to disclose publicly and her description of caring management personnel is highly inaccurate. The HR Manager worked very closely with this former and valued employee to make improvements for over a year. Please read through other reviews for a more accurate impression of the positive and productive company culture the organization consistently demonstrates. As of Jan 2019, the HR Manager mentioned by the author is no longer with the company and all HR co-workers of the author continue to be employed and act as a great team.
Channel island social services is a great place filled with great people, it’s just hard to get the hours you want since you have to find families and work with their schedule it’s also really hard to find families in my area
Pros
Good starting pay, friendly staff
Cons
Hard to find families, no paid vacation, hard to earn sick hours, not flexible
I enjoyed the work offered in Channel Islands Social Services due to it being very flexible and the possibility of relatively low stress, depending on the clients served. CISS had yearly Staff meetings and displayed a positive and grateful attitude towards their employees. While I worked only part-time for four years, they did offer some full-time work and benefits.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Rarely full-time
Each family varies, however my past 3 years with CISS has been amazing and enriching. The people who work their are wonderful and will do their best to place you with families who are a great match.
Channel Islands is a great place to work because you can control when you work by telling them your availability. At Channel Islands Social services being a caregiver also means being someones friend. The people you care for will more than likely love every time you spend time with them. The feeling where you can make someone's day just by spending some time with them is a great feeling and I will always try to do that no matter what.
Pros
Paid mileage
awesome staff and very family oriented culture. The company really cares not only for clients and families but also has made sure their employees get the best benefits and pay. The company, that I know of so far in the Ventura County area, is the only company to actually pay Respite Caregivers above the minimum wage.
Pros
Salary, Schedule
Cons
I love working with kids that have special needs. The office staff is amazing always there when you need them. Its an absolutely beautiful thing to learn about others and be able to help in any possible way you can to attend to their special need.