Chapters Health System Employee Reviews

2.8
Ratings breakdown
Too many manages, not enough workers
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 26, 2018
The management is top heavy and out of touch. They don’t realize what it takes to give quality, compassionate care to patients and families and still be “productive.” Unrealistic expectations and little support. One hand doesn’t know what the other is doing. They will not last long.
Pros
Hospice work is so important
Cons
Treating patients and families like numbers
In/out bound call center
Senior Associate, Patient Access (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 23, 2018
On a daily day my duties where to input/intake patients Info (Name/DOB/SSN/Address/providers name and phone numbers, patents Medical Records Info). Set patients assessment visit with a nurse.
Pros
Great work atmosphere
Cons
Lack of PTO.
Fast pace, great team
Certified Coder Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 22, 2018
Chapters is a good company to code for. Manager is very supportive and knowledgeable. The hardest part of the job is late notes to be coded for month end. The coding team is very supportive.
Pros
generous PTO
Cons
blocked PTO dates
I throughly enjoyed my time at Chapters
Corporate Learning Leader (Former Employee) –  Temple Terrace, FLApril 30, 2018
Hospice care is the most rewarding job. It's hard work and one needs to be pretty flexible with constant changes. Team work is vital.
What I respect of Chapters, is the quality of care they provide for patients and families.
Pros
Advancements, Promotions
Cons
The turnovers and salaries
Busy but supportive work environment
RN Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLApril 25, 2018
Hospice is a stressful area to work in general but CHS has excellent management and office support staff. I appreciated the CNA's that did a fantastic job as well.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
can be stressful
Poor Management that's all about the dollar
RN (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 14, 2018
Easily the worst job I've ever had. The RN case managers have 30 patients frequently and are disciplined when they get overtime. The job was salaried and and switched to hourly and the patient load was increased. You couldn't keep up with your patient's and frequently had to send others to see them which disappointed people that depend on you and made you constantly have to play catch up. These patients and families are going through the most difficult time of their lives and you feel like your constantly letting them down while working yourself to death. When they had a new exec come in and make changes that resulted in major patient and staff dissatisfaction, they promoted him because he saved money. Never-mind the patients suffering and the staff leaving in droves.
Run-
Current member (Current Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 13, 2018
Corporate Leaders lack integrity and disrespectful
The nurses and doctors have a passion for Hospice I would recommend the patient services provided
Mid-level management treated unfairly and made to feel powerless and used as scape goats for higher level mistakes
Morale is low and turn over is high
Good quality employees often leave within a year
Caring, kind co workers and management
RN HH24 (Former Employee) –  Azeele st, tampaJanuary 7, 2018
I worked as a RN with HH24, the after hours call system. Families or caregivers call in for emergencies, issues , or concerns. Phone room attempts to resolve it or dispatches a nurse. The co workers were great to work with. The managers are very understanding. It's a tough environment dealing with very sick and dying patients and they are kind and compassionate. I'm sorry I can no longer work. They are flexible to try to accommodate everyone's needs. A large percentage of management are females, which I also appreciated. Recommended.
Pros
Flexible shifts, compassionate people, good pay & benefits
Cons
It is nights and weekends (which i liked)
Poor C suite management which drives poor culture...
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Temple Terrace, FLNovember 20, 2017
C suite management has been in place for 10+ years and the organization tries to capitalize on old methods and ideas. New ideas are either denied/ignored or you need 10 committees to approve it. Not worth my time.... Until leadership changes, I would not recommend working here.
nice part time job
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 24, 2017
Great to work with patients providing support in their homes. Limited time to help however, because limited number of visits approved for palliative care
Terrible Company
LPN (Current Employee) –  Temple Terrace, FLJuly 8, 2017
Leadership does not respect the fact that employees have to have time for themselves and their families. It' s all about the money and not about the patient and families. Not the company it used to be. Too many layoffs for frivolous reasons. The company motto should be IF IT'S WORKING - CHANGE IT because if a company model is working for the employees and patients it's changed to a model that makes no sense for the employees or the patients. The hospice house in Temple Terrace is a joke. New manager shows favoritism to day shift staff which consists of liars and back biters. If they don't like you watch your back. They will lie on you. Short staffed all the time at hospice house and staff is expected to work whatever days they are given with no consideration for needing and having a life at home. New hospice (Seasons Hospice) opening soon. Hopefully the competition will make Chapters wake up but the management are so full of themselves I doubt it.
Pros
Patients
Cons
All about the money and not patients or employees.
love hospice work but....
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 29, 2017
management is horrible, work/life balance awful. Co-workers were wonderful, typical day, crazy, too much work and not enough time to complete it. Culture is positive for the most part due to great co-workers, yet management is clueless to how much time and effort it takes to do hospice work on a level that won't burn out it's employees. I have worked for 4 hospices in 3 different states, and this by far was worst experience.
Pros
working with wonderful patients and families
Cons
worked to death, no pun intended
Awful
Corporate Office (Former Employee) –  Temple Terrace, FLMay 1, 2017
There aren't enough words in the English language to express how horrible my experience with this organization was. I almost started to believe I was overall incapable. As it turns out, I have a job with a company that is nationally ranked for how they treat their employees and the differences are incredible. I would't take a job here if my life depended on it. Yes, its that bad.
Pros
coworkers that share your pain
Cons
everything
na
INTAKE NURSE (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 13, 2017
I would not like to discuss my position at chapters health. This position started as a salary position and to perform a proper job, this takes more than a standard day. When it became hourly, management started writing employees up for getting overtime when they were told to work the overtime to perform the position.
Needs a complete overhaul
RN (Former Employee) –  Lifepath HospiceMarch 6, 2017
I returned to this company to fulfill a need for job satisfaction it once allowed. Boy, was I wrong. The company is so much worse than ever. RNS are overloaded with patients and paperwork,. They are constantly overworked both physically and emotionally. Supposed to be max of 18 pts to manage per nurse, but typically 25 to 30. If the census dips to those acceptable numbers, it won't last. You'll be told to locate possible referrals or they will have to lose a nurse, or no longer be abe to hire another nurse. It's a game. Leaving at 5pm is also a joke, and even management will tell you that. Pay and benefits are deplorable for what they ask of you. 3 out of 4 nurses spends hours on the weekend to either complete their work requirements, or like me, to complete the 5 or 6 recertification that have to be presented weekly. Things would be changed rather quickly if the patients and families ever knew what the company required of their nurses, but like the true caring nurses who love end of life care, we protect our dying patients and families from the truth. I think the company capitalizes on this. I also believe upper management and leadership is AWARE. Hospice nursing is in my heart, but I'll never make the mistake of Lifepath again.
Pros
Nurses willing to help out eachother.
Cons
Poor pay and benefits. Working over 40 hrs per week.
Don't do it
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 25, 2017
At first it was a great company or so I thought. New upper management arrived and changed everything !! They do not listen to their employees. Focus in not on the patient or families. It's all about how much money they can make with the least amount of staffing....
Pros
The ability to care for paitients and families
Cons
Management doesn't care about anything but the dollar signs.
Get the work experience, and leave!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Temple Terrace, FLFebruary 23, 2017
I wouldn't recommend a career at Chapters Health Systems except for the job experience. If you don't negotiate your salary in the beginning when you are hired, they will give you what they feel like you deserve.

The management could also be a whole lot better; people get away with too much and there's no flexibility or job advancement in certain areas, and the TURNOVER IS RIDICULOUS! People get hired at the beginning of a week, and quit towards the end of it.

Again, just work there for the experience, and move on to something better!
Pros
Great experience to use in future positions
Cons
Low wages, overworked, very high turnover
recently merged, orientation unorganized, too short
Registered Nurse care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, FLOctober 27, 2016
very short staffed, unable to get everything done, heavy pt load, was told when I got hired my case load would be 16 patients, high turnover, current patient load is 25, unable to spend any quality time with pts, always feel rushed, redundant documenting, expected to work OT often
Pros
sign on bonus $5000
Cons
unpractical expectations
Do not apply!!! Run!!!
Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  Temple Terrace, FLJune 9, 2016
Many years ago, I had two close relatives pass away under LifePath hospice, which is part of Chapters Health. We had wonderful experiences in both situations. So when I found a job with the company, I was very excited, and was thrilled when I got it.

So I made the job move. Huge mistake, and it was sad. The overall management of the company is awful. Compensation and Benefits are terrible. Across the organization, employees are incredibly unhappy, uncared for by management especially the chiefs, the CEO needs to be removed and replaced. From the moment I got there, all i heard about from people was how much they wanted out. Thankfully, several friends have found new jobs. Even last week, I heard of 3 friends who all resigned, in the same week. I even know others who resigned without having another job lined up, they just needed out that badly. The organization is too top heavy, and when something is top heavy, it is only a matter of time till it falls over.

It's sad that I cannot recommend an organization at hospice, but unless i hear of major changes, I'm not.
Pros
Made some good friends
Cons
Too many too list. Pretty much everything
LPN continuous care
LPN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 10, 2016
I loved the patient care I got to experience at hospice. The management was out of control. Being a PRN nurse meant you were on call from 8am until 8pm unless they found a patiwnt after 8pm and you would expected to go no matter how late. Not fair to anyone.