CHARLES COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

It's not what you know. It's who you know.
Middle School English Teacher (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDApril 9, 2019
If you are not in a clique, you will have difficulty advancing. Those who have been in the field for a number of years find that they don't fit in with the younger, newer teachers.
Great place to grow
Spanish teacher (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDMarch 6, 2019
Charles County Public Schools truly care about the employees and the students. I have learned valuable lessons that have prepared me for other places where I can provide my services as a teacher.
North Point High School is a great place to work
Temporary Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MD 20603November 30, 2018
Very friendly atmosphere to work in, everyone recognizes they are on the same team. Work together for the better of the student. Actually care about the students and do their best to make it a great and fun atmosphere for not only the teachers but students as well.
Pros
Ton of school spirit, student lead programs, their NEST lunch schedule, in-school teacher functions
Cons
no cons
Fast-paced customer centered environment
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDNovember 26, 2018
This position required extensive multi-tasking at all levels. When a day was extremely stressful, management was always aware and on occasion would order lunch for the staff. Management always said thank you and appreciated hard work. I learned that when management cares about their staff, employees work harder. I enjoyed being the keeper of information. I enjoyed being able to relay important information to the community, the schools and other internal clients as needed. This was also the hardest part of the job. During the times when the incoming calls was really high, it interfered with the normal day to day workflow. This taught me to multi-task and prepare for the days when the call volume was high. It was enjoyable working for a group of people who genuinely cared about the well-being and education of young people.
Pros
great work schedule
Cons
snow day delays
Subsitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 29, 2018
Being a substitute teacher provides an opportunity for you to decide if you would like a career in the educational field. It can be very rewarding for you and the students..
I served as a substitute teacher.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDOctober 21, 2018
This is a great position if you are thinking about going into the educational field and enjoy teaching and working with children. Working part-time does not include benefits. Compensation could be improved.
Substitute teacher
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Charles County, MDOctober 18, 2018
The work environment was pleasant and the students were excellent to work within all of the schools that I was a substitute teacher. I enjoyed the students in the elementary schools, the staff was always pleasant and the schools were very organized.
Pros
Well-behaved students
Cons
Location of schools were too far/remote
Perfect for those who like really working
Switchboard Operation/ Secretary (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDOctober 16, 2018
CCPS was a great place to work! There was always something to do work-wise, or always someone who could use some assistance! There is also lots of comradery at CCPS! There were always friendly competitions, clubs, or employee involvement activities to get into. Salary is not the best because they work on a grade scale as well as how long you've been there. Had my salary been something I could've lived with, I would've stayed! Absolutely LOVED everything else this organization has to offer!
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, Professional, High Expectation
Cons
Salaries
Nice county to work for
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Indian Head, MDOctober 11, 2018
Taught 2nd and 4th grade students.

Enjoyed teaching the students and parents. The hardest part was taking home papers to grade and writing lesson plans on my own time. I also had a long commute.
Pros
Summers Off
Cons
Took work home
Internal discrepancies
Secretary/Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDSeptember 24, 2018
Federal laws not followed. Employees often worked through their lunch hours, job responsibilities changed often without prior notice, culture unfriendly.
System in transition
Vice Principal (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDSeptember 8, 2018
This school system is trying to transition from a small district to a large district. There are multiple growing pains, especially in the area of human resources and treatment of employees. The system is student-centered and attempts to support employees, but their support adds often more time and stress than it takes away. I hope the growing pains decrease over time.
Various locations (schools) means you meet lots of people.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  All schools throughout Charles County, MDAugust 28, 2018
Teaching is your reward. When a child comes to that "a-ha" moment when he understands a concept that is your greatest reward. If the classrooms had fewer students one could reach so many and so well. However, the classrooms are too crowded and the students are on different skill levels. Therefore it is difficult and frustrating when wanting to instruct all students in the class.
Pros
Working independently with support when asked for.
Cons
Low pay
1st Year teaching
Senior Marine Instructor (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDAugust 20, 2018
Overall my first year teaching and managing experience was very successful. A typical work day consisted of teaching leadership classes and managing a supply account valued at more than $100,000.
Pros
Long summer vacation
Cons
Not particularly working in Degree Field.
Frustration to obtain a permanent job with something I love to do, TEACH!
Substitute Teacher / LTS Spanish I, II, III (Former Employee) –  Charles County, MarylandAugust 2, 2018
Looking for a "permanent job." Difficult to obtain a permanent position. Do not offer a possibility to become a permanent employee.
Need better job, better salary, benefits, and better HR dpt. able to understand need of employees. Tired of being used only for emergencies.
overworked and undercompensated
Secretary to the Principal (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJune 26, 2018
I work in a very busy school with constant parent/student traffic. I manage 3 large budgets and must try to do so in a very hectic office. As a result, I worked many many hours without compensation in order to meet deadlines.
Conservative
Secondary English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJune 24, 2018
Job security was strong. I taught at one of the better schools in the district, and despite constant changes with administration, the school culture remained fairly consistent and strong. As a teacher, I was given a significant amount of autonomy and was able to flourish as a result. The one downside was how conservative the district remained, which resulted in constant challenge to incorporate innovative ideas, programs, and activities for my students. There are opportunities for advancement within the district, but I found these to involve quite a bit of nepotism.
Pros
Positive teaching culture. Excellent athletic programs. Autonomy as a teacher.
Cons
Pay scale is not competitive with surrounding schools. Due to a constant growth in population, teachers often have to float and do not get their own classroom.
Fun working environment
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJune 21, 2018
An awesome place to work, would definitely recommend anyone interested in teaching to apply. Charles county is a very diverse area with people from many walks a life there is never a dull moment being a teacher at on of the schools in the county.
What I learned...
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  La Plata, MDJune 15, 2018
In my opinion the county lacked the diversity and cultural awareness to effectively serve the student demographics. The use of technology and the implementation of county wide software was poor to me also. There promotion potential was poor because of lack of support by leadership.
Currently experience growing pains
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  VariousMay 27, 2018
When I entered the system it was a thriving system. It is currently finding its way under new leadership. If the leadership could appreciate the wisdom it was developed under, it will thrive again!
Pros
Kind employees
Cons
Leadership
Charles County Public Schools Holds the Bar High
Substitute Teacher (while looking) (Current Employee) –  La Plata, MDMay 24, 2018
As a Substitute Teacher I cannot confirm the benefits, raises, insurance coverage offered by the School System BUT...I can say that employee benefits are made available. My category allows me to opt-in for insurance and other benefits, but at the low hourly wage I chose not to do so. I have my own coverage plans.

The educators, administrative staff, coaches, counselors and all who engage with any school services/oversight are serious about their youth, about imparting the knowledge and life skills they will need to 'go to the next level.' The young people are just like anyone you find in our society today. Some are eager, some need coaching. Some behave well, some may not at times. However, one thing I notice is that most students are benefiting from the encouragement and hard work on the part of the teachers.

The salaries for teachers and administrative staff are good. I have seen the scale for permanent administrative staff when I reviewed their vacancy board. The position I thought to pursue won't be opening until the next school year. My category is hourly wage and not bad for supplemental income. However, that is what it is for me. Just that. Since my history is in executive support/Congress, Media and corporate (many hats), that is where I can expect to solidify my financial base. I have my 'Plan' but I truly enjoy this experience.

To anyone graduating from college with a degree in education, who wants to find a healthy, wholesome, place to make a difference in the educational lives of our young people - Charles County Public Schools is a very good place to build
  more... that foundation.  less
Pros
Many