Charles H. Wright Museum Employee Reviews

Don't trust the indeed reviews
Former member (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 15, 2018
Read the real reviews on that other site (rhymes with mass shore).

The reviewers are either low-level, temp employees, interns, or written by management to soften the blow.

The museum has high turnover rate, mismanages funds, and doesn't plan long-term.

Read the news...every 3 years they are in a financial bind and are bringing on "new blood" to shore the museum up for the future. That new blood sees what's going on and leaves as soon as they can find a new job.

The "museum" has turned into a community center and its desire to be the best in programming leads to low-attendance events -choosing quantity over quality.

Management doesn't provide professional development or match 401ks but expects all, even senior staff, to punch a clock (yes, an actual time clock for exempt employees). Facility rental staff sells the museum but doesn't receive a commission (or overtime for events worked).

Visit the museum, but don't apply for a job.
Pros
Lovely building
Cons
10+ hour work days
Productive, Creative and Accurate
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 16, 2018
Loving what you do and helping people as well as solving problems while doing so. Being able to utilize your current skills while being challenged to further enhance yourself as a professional.
Great museum to work at!
Public Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 6, 2018
I had an amazing experience working with the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History. The staff are friendly and open, the work environment is excellent. The exhibitions are intriguing and educational. Overall a fantastic facility!
Pros
Great Work Environment
Cons
Lack Diversity
Culture Needs Addressing
ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 5, 2017
The culture at the museum is often dysfunctional and unnecessarily political. A leadership change may help to move the institution into better positioning to the coming changes to the region.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule
Cons
Lack of Upward Mobility, Poorly Managed
Great place to work at
Camp Counselor for "Camp Africa" (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 29, 2017
You learn a lot about the rich culture just by being in the environment. They make education fun! Especially for the kids I worked with. Everyone is so polite and such a delight!!
Great Place to work and has amazing networking opportunities
Administrative Intern (Current Employee) –  DetroitSeptember 21, 2017
Awesome job with something new going on everyday. They also provide a great knowledge base for employees. Additionally, the opportunity to meet famous people is a great advantage as well.
Culture and learning
ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 6, 2017
Working at the museum was an a continuous learning experience. Al learning something new and teacher it to the children. The staff was close knit and we all worked together as a tight knit fmily.
Great Fringe Benefits
Assistant Registrar (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 15, 2017
The museum is a great place to work and learn about African American Culture. There are many opportunities to meet famous African American's and take part in festivals and celebrations.
Important institution with a soul
Staff (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 18, 2017
A day at the Wright Museum can be busy and fun. Youth exploring history, families celebrating a birthday, a reunion or a wedding and friends getting together are all a part of what we do everyday.
Pros
Strong commitment to mission and purpose
Cons
Needs more staff support
The hardest Part about the job
Greeter/Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 6, 2017
The hardest part about this job was having to stand for long hours while talking to large groups of people. Sometimes it would get hectic if their were small children in the audience. Or their would be people in the audience that were rude
Pros
Meeting different peole
Cons
Standing for long periods
Public Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 13, 2017
employee engagement
customer satisfaction
good quality accounts
team atmosphere
sales atmosphere
upbeat work environment
growth opportunity for upward mobility
Exciting place to be a volunteer.
Volunteer Greeter (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 31, 2016
Volunteering at the Charles H Wright museum was a wonderful experience because I learned so much and worked with some wonderful people.
The Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History is an exciting and enlightening place to work.
Education Department Coordinator/Museum Educator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 7, 2015
I started working at the museum as an Actor, portraying various characters in the history of African American History. After one year I was promoted to the position of Museum Educator. In both positions I have always felt extremely fortunate that I am able to earn a living doing something I love. On any given day I encounter individuals from all walks of life and from many different countries. It is always very enriching to teach history to students at every level from the elementary school, to the university level, to the level of corporate executives. While I am teaching I am also constantly learning. One of the more difficult aspects of the job is experiencing the emotional roller-coaster that is the result of different people reacting to the exhibits in different ways. One of the more enjoyable aspects has been hearing people say that they never thought they would enjoy history so much, and that they cannot wait until they can come back and bring their families.
Chw!
Intern & Camp counsellor (Former Employee) –  DetroitJuly 8, 2015
I was a inter for 6 weeks! my job varied, sometimes we would assist with camp Africa, other times we'd do things for the book fair, that required selecting books, organizing them, and preparing them.
Productive and Fun
Internship (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 30, 2015
If I had an opportunity to work there again i would. The people there were unforgettable. They were nice, understanding, and helpful. There was nothing hard about the job and almost everything there was enjoyable. If every place was like the museum there would be no upset workers.
Pros
Long breaks, good environment, and understanding supervisors.
fun place to work
Museum Educator/Workshop Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 23, 2015
Largest African American Museum in the world, Family atmosphere, best job ive ever had. Co-workers were the best ever.
Interesting and entertaining
Secretary Assist./Customer Service/Public Relation (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 5, 2014
A typical day would be transferring calls, commuting to other organizations, selling memberships, meeting, greeting, and directing. Basically, proving professional customer service. Management is well organized, and all of my co-workers were nice, and polite. I can't recall anytime my job was difficult, the most enjoyable was meeting lots of new people, including the mayor, and the president of different companies etc.
Pros
discount on membership, watch entertaintment free, free snacks, meeting people
Cons
During busy events you don't have a chance to take a break, which I didn't mind.