CHARLES INDUSTRIES Employee Reviews

Loved people I worked with
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Marshall, ILApril 16, 2019
I clocked in at 7:30 every morning. I was always on time and had perfect attendance. I got along with everybody there. I got invoices in order to send to home office to pay.
No comment
Document Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rantoul, ILMarch 5, 2019
Employed thru staffing agency. NO LONG TERM goals were set for that position. Did not have a plan for making position permanent.
No clear job desciption
fun and good place to work for
Packer/Inspector (Current Employee) –  Canton, MO 63435September 19, 2018
really good place to work the crew is very friendly and willing to help each other if needed. i have learned a lot about injecting mold the time i have been there.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
A Company you felt happy working for .
Sales Taxes Monthly and Quarterly Yearend (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 15, 2018
At Charles Industries you Were treated like family
I learned from Charles team work pays off
Hands ontaking on tasks that seemed impossible because you had people believing in you at all times.

Nothing was hard working for Charles furniture

But it hit home when my Boss passed away That was hearth felt.

I learned alot about the furniture industrie.
Excellent place to work
Shipping Associate (Former Employee) –  Rantoul, ILMarch 30, 2018
All co-workers very nice and the building had nice facilities. Refrigeration was provided for lunches brought from home. Ten minute breaks every 2 hours
Pros
Free donuts on Fridays
Cons
Lack of work
Sucked
Mh (Current Employee) –  Rantoul, ILJanuary 1, 2018
Management sucks no time for family they don’t care about your outside life schedule changes with no notice maybe be working overtime may not be working at all
Horrible
Warehouse Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Rantoul, ILDecember 19, 2017
Coworkers great management terrible no consideration of family events schedule is always changing pointed if ot don’t fit your family schedule management does not know what they are doing
No-nonsense practical focused place to work.
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILDecember 15, 2017
I worked with electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, technical support specialists, product managers, and subject matter experts to create product installation documents. A very conservative company.
Charles Industries
Machine Operator - In the Fab Department (Former Employee) –  Rantoul, ILJuly 20, 2017
At Charles it be normal to work 10-12 hours a day. I didn't mind it though we were getting work done and had the best year of the company. Then management made some changes and this year nobody was getting overtime. we just didn't have the business, in the end they had to layoff half the company (including me). The hardest part of the job was work this last year knowing that any day could be the last, everyone was thinking it. The best part of the job was I did learn a lot, I came in working in the fab department grinding, learning how to PEM, use a rivet machine and many other things. The one thing I am known for is I knew every part number, I just have a thing with numbers.
Pros
had good hours
Cons
short lunch, down year lead to layoff
poor
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton, MOMay 17, 2017
Poor managemnet, very poor pay for the hourly. Really poor ethics form the plant manager down to the hourly employees. Family favortism happens on a daily basis.
Charles Industries
Sheet Metal Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Rantoul, ILMay 11, 2016
Typical day would be setting up brake press and making sure parts were up to quality standards. I learned many operations of metal fabrication such as welding, brake press, press in fasteners, metal finish, assembly of products, and training many new hires. Most of the co-workers were hard workers and are willing to help others. The hardest part of the job was trying to stay positive in an environment which regularly would get negative. The most enjoyable part is taking pride in your work and doing something many people cannot do.
Pros
Competitive pay
Cons
Overtime is good but not every Saturday.
Like a retirement home
Welder (Former Employee) –  Marshall, ILMay 9, 2016
Most workers been there 10 plus years, do not take kindly to new workers. My supervisor was the nicest person working there. Dave Wallace
productive and friendly atmosphere
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Marshall, ILMarch 21, 2016
the employees and employers were friendly and easy to work with and the company was a great company to work for. I clocked in around 7a.m. and clocked out around 3p.m. The hardest part was pulling parts for the larger shop packs (cubes). i would pull parts for shop packs in the different work stations. In between I would restock the stockroom and clean up my work area. The managers and co-workers were friendly and respected one another. The most enjoyable part was working independently and even interacting with the other employees.
Pros
honored employees and were treated with respect
Cons
i was added on through a temporary agency so the work wasnt guaranteed with the company
Small company rapid growth
Employee (Current Employee) –  Rantoul, ILNovember 27, 2015
A typical day at work involves a lot of the struggles that come with a working at a smaller rapidly growing company. This location and the company as a whole has gone through a lot of changes in both product types and quantity. The day is not regimented like you might find in a larger company, and everyone pulls together sharing tasks to cover all of the bases.
Pros
Rapid company growth allows quick advancement
Cons
Growing pains while growing from a job shop to a manufacturing center, custom products
Leadership / Management is simply a joke
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Rantoul, ILNovember 16, 2015
Charles Industries was the biggest joke of employment I've ever worked at in my 30+ years in the job market. They tell the VP's and owner what they want to hear, which is an exaggeration of the truth daily. Production rather than Quality, is what they go by..."just get the product loaded on the truck ASAP!" Their motto is production numbers always overrode quality of product! People are disposable, wages for hourly is at poverty levels. They don't follow ISO orTL Standards! Management is constantly thrown under the bus by the Factory Manager to make his incompetence look good to the corporate office. They do not follow their employees handbook, and make rules up as they go. Stay clear, don't waste your time thinking about working here....period! If their customers only knew how this place was ran, they would be out of business at this location. A total embarrassment to admit if you've worked there, because of the way they treat their employees both hourly and management!
Pros
Some good workers that do care....but, very few!
Cons
Too long to list!
Horrible
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILJanuary 19, 2015
Very unstable environment. Their best years were the 90's. They came crashing down in the early 2000's.
Pros
Gained some experience
Cons
Unstable management, no diversity (gender/race), women given thankless management positions, men were rewarded directorship.
ElectronicsTech
Electronic Test Technician (Former Employee) –  Casey, ILJuly 23, 2014
fixed circuit boards and this job did not pay very well.... I dont even know if its open still
Shipping clerk
shipping clerk (Former Employee) –  Rantoul, ILJune 21, 2014
I was in charge of all outgoing products. I was in charge of arranging shipping, creating bills of ladings, proper packaging and interacted with internal customers and external customers to ensure high quality.
Challenging environment with positive successes
Assembly/Fab/Receiving Inspector, Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILMay 5, 2014
A typical work day involved: scheduling employees based on production needs, determing any necessary training/re-training.
I learned to determine by employee how to get the most productivity and positivity on a daily basis. Each person responds differently to workload and stress levels.
Several upper Management changes taught me how to deal with different expectations and roles changes.
The most difficult part of my role at Charles was having to downsize my department and redistribute responsibilities and provide training to minimize the impact on production employees. So much of our work was subjective and I needed each employee to look at and inspect to the same standards.
The most enjoyable part of my job was succeeding at and meeting shipment schedules and maintaining the efficiency and quality levels simultaneously.
Pros
Great employee participation
Cons
Excessive upper management changes send different signals
Gained a lot of knowledge.
Prototype Assemby Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rantoul IllinoisApril 1, 2014
Gained a lot of knowledge. Lots of support from Corporate management and Engineering.
Pros
Cons
too many to list