Charles River Laboratories Employee Reviews

Degrading, rude, and unempathetic coworkers
Technician (Former Employee) –  Stone Ridge, NYFebruary 11, 2019
At first I was excited for this job, decent pay and great medical insurance. Then came the lack of training and rude coworkers. Several times between my supervisor and the assistant I was talked down to and spoken to in a very demanding manner. Even though we were short staffed, it is no excuse to talk rudely to your team. When I approached other managers about the issue, nothing was done. This facility and its management breeds a culture of rudeness, cruelty, and lack of humanity.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Rude and mean coworkers
Great company to work. For
Area Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 10, 2019
This is a great company to work for. This company cares about it's employees when it comes to benefits and enforces many policies that cover anyone that works here. Management isn't necessarily the best but they do their job.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Not enough training
Overwhelming work load
In-Vivo Technician I (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAFebruary 1, 2019
Awful. The job is fast paced and stressful, with the schedule packed with activities back to back to back to back with no breathing room if something goes wrong. Ableist and terrible management, do not respect requests for reasonable accommodations despite the jobs in the vivarium being the most physically strenuous and most prone to injury. Lots of overtime, and things can change at the drop of a hat depending on the study director and the sponsors. Terrible communication between departments even if they work extremely closely together resulting in lots of headaches and extra stress. Really poor workplace culture, stresses calling out mistakes whenever they happen, even the tiniest things that have a bunch of backups to make sure nothing goes wrong, and severe punishment.
Pros
Benefits, decrnt pay
Cons
Too much OT, skipped lunches to complete work, too little sick time, terrible culture and management
Productive, caring
Departmental Scheduler, Histology (Current Employee) –  Ashland, OHJanuary 23, 2019
The hardest part of the job was working with such a diverse group of people, which is also one of the most enjoyable parts of the job. It is very rewarding going to work knowing we are making such an impact on other people's lives.
Good place to get started, but stressful environment
Animal Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAJanuary 21, 2019
A typical day involves cleaning animal rooms and feeding them. If you love animals, then I you will enjoy working here. There are good benefits for employees. Cons are long work days- you almost never leave when your shift is supposed to be over, management does not listen to concerns brought up by employees, reasonable accommodations are not provided, supervisors tend to play favorites.
Pros
Good benefits
workplace culture
Animal Care Technician II (Current Employee) –  Hollister, CAJanuary 20, 2019
Work is very demanding but collaboration with your team makes it less stressful. management is really good. you learn alot of skills very quickly and efficiently from other experienced workers
Pros
Pros: get out early
Cons
Con: takes about a week to get used to
Not worth it
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 15, 2019
Right off the bat the orientation is very brain washy, the training is basically non existent and they are not clear with you on what your hours are as an animal technician. I cannot speak for other departments but the Husbandry department has a very high turn over rate die to a lack of respect as well as management not giving all of the details on what is in your job expectations prior to being hired. The work is hard, and you get paid a fair amount along with benefits, but not knowing how much.you're expected to work is very challenging. Communication is TERRIBLE.
AVOID AT ALL COSTS unless you're going into the research field.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
Literally everything else
Amazing place to Work
Communications Coordinator (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, MAJanuary 14, 2019
Everyone at Charles River wants you to succeed. The work is so gratifying because we are helping people. The work can be demanding, but not overwhelming. 10/10 would recommend to a friend.
my experience
Technical Trainer III (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 12, 2019
The pay for my position is good but the benefits don't fit my needs. I would prefer more sick time or vacation time and more flexible schedule. I came from a company with great benefits so this is a really big con for me.
Pros
pay
benefits
Nice working environment.
SAP Master Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, MAJanuary 10, 2019
Nice working environment. Volume of work varies based on the month and the year. I earned $100k a year. The hardest part of the job is working with different time zone around the world.
Terrible
Laboratory Animal Technician (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJanuary 7, 2019
CRL has a very high turnover rate. I can see why, especially if you are a contractor. They don’t care about their employees, they are treated like garbage.
Great place to work and to advance
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 5, 2019
Work flows pretty well here, departments are clear on what they expect and how things will get done. I have learned a lot from my manager and have always felt supported.
Pros
Great benefits, great opportunities for advancement
Cons
Hard to get into
Workplace
Senior Supervisor, Laboratory Services (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 26, 2018
Charles River is a fast paced environment that will challenge you to improve as an employee especially in areas of attention to detail and time management.
Benefits
Cons
Employee recognition
This place is a joke
Vivarium Technican (Former Employee) –  Mattawan, MIDecember 19, 2018
This place is full of politics and vivarium control team is always to blame for anyone's mess. Careful you shift may change without notice and careful with management . They are tricky and will lie to have you fired even with proof you did your job . very unprofessional atmospher and be ware of certain people in colony . If you speak up in regards for your safety you become a walking target . They talk a good game about caring for employees but as long as the animals are cared for so the fda isnt snooping around you might not become a walking target . If you do take a job with them stear clear of vivarium and most of management . Not slander its the truth .
Pros
Cafetria has a large variety of food.
Cons
Management, Colony, and HR
Good resume builder
Technician (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PADecember 18, 2018
Learn to work in a team environment. Say goodbye to any social life you had outside of work. Coworkers are like family, management not so much. Could be better, still going through adjustments.
Pros
Coworkers are your best friends
Cons
No work-life balance, rough hours, no matter how hard you work it isn't enough
Lack of communication with managers and their employees.
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 14, 2018
The work is easy but the people (management) is what makes this place horrible. The pay is minimal and the workers are treated unfairly. I dread coming to work because of how myself and everyone else was and still is being treated.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Lack of pay
Mandatory OT
Necropsy Technician (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PADecember 8, 2018
There is no choice to not work overtime in the lab setting. It is not scheduled in advance and always expected for everyone to to stay until the work is done, whether that be another hour or another 4 hours. The lab is under-staffed, under-trained, and under-supervised.
underpaid, but good learning experience
Corporate Response Team (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDDecember 5, 2018
depends on your role. make sure you clearly understand the role before accepting an offer. As a CRT my typical day was lots of manual labor, very busy. Learned a lot however about lab animal science.
fast paced, always something to do
SENIOR LAB TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, MADecember 5, 2018
I learn something new every day. There is always an opportunity for advancement if desired. Fast paced environment makes the days go by quickly. Employee recognition is constant, to drive employees to do their best.
Micro managing at its finest
Clinical Pathology Tech I (Current Employee) –  Ashland, OHDecember 3, 2018
I worked at this site when it was WIL research and loved it. Charles river took over and hired more employees which was great but they micro manage every little thing you do. More employees has not helped with the amount of overtime due to this. No family/work balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charles River Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight