Charles Schwab
Updated: March 31 2020

Charles Schwab Employee Reviews

Found 1,247 reviews matching the search
Featured review
Charles Schwab selected this as a representative review
I have to say this is one of the best places I have ever worked. I had a good team and management is very supportive. Each day I had time to perform my duties. I learned many new technologies and methodologies. The culture is very open and friendly. I was given a lot of opportunities to be able to grow my skills.
Good work culture of collaboration and innovation
Great people to work with. Everyone is very collaborative and supportive. The company supported innovation and using the latest technology and there was relatively little red tape for implementing changes.

Benefits such as vacation policy and work from home flexibility could be better.
Work friendly
I like the place where the colleagues are friendly and supportive. Managers and teams arranged in a good manner, I would like to work at this place

The only thing is work lag
It's a good company but...
This is a great company, but the constant switch in focuses or objectives is almost impossible to keep up with. VPs are being switched out all the time and each new one strives to "shake things up". Schwab needs to focus more on the representative and less on the whims of their newest executive.
productive place to work at.
Worked hard to pass Series 7 and 63 and received training and encouragement from management. Salary increased after I passed the exam after which we got a title change and worked as such for about one year when the .com bubble occurred and the entire department was terminated in 15 minutes. Got severance pay for a couple of months and unemployment and signed a non disclosure agreement. I tried to get rehired but I wasn't and had to re certify at my next finance job. Every two years if there is a market downturn you get sacked.
Pros
salary increase and title change after passing S7 and S63. good healthcare
Cons
may get terminated quickly due to market downturn FIFO style.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Be prepared for 30 minute lunches and to be micro managed.
I worked as a customer service representative for 8 years. It was all in who you knew if you were able to get promoted. I loved the friendships I made with many others during my time there. The management was a different story. I had 5 or 6 managers my last 2 years with the company. I left because i wanted to move up and had no support to do so.
If you are the oldest person on your team, beware...the clock is ticking
Schwab is a great company for investors. Schwab, however, is going through growing pains and has lost a lot of its culture within...seems like all the managers care about are statistics...they have lost that "human touch" with employees. Great place to start, but you should move along to better opportunities and $$ after 5 years.
Great firm
Rewarding culture, first class firm . Managers are great, wonderful people who are dedicated to client service. Excellent leadership and open minded people.
While the workload can be pretty hefty, at times, I always feel like management has my best interest at heart. Schedule accommodation can be very tough, during busy times, but there are incentives to be there for the clients. I think the pay could be a bit higher, and the insurance leaves something to be desired, the retirement and bonus structure is very nice. Great place to start, if you’re new to the securities industry, and needing your licenses.
Good Company to Work
Good Company to work at. I'm with Schwab for the past 5 year. Technology side of the world is always challenging, you need to be updated with current market.
Na
The company has to many buddy systems in place. If someone has an issue with you, they will use friends to have you fired. The culture is not friendly or diverse.
Good Coworkers, Inexperienced Management
I worked in the call center/customer service portion of the business. The company is very slow on getting their employees licensed. They promise you that it will be done within the first few months, but in reality it will take roughly six months to actually get started on your licensing. Schwab also refuses to let their employees give actual advice even if you're licensed by FINRA to do so. This is the place you come and get your licenses before heading off to greener pastures.

My coworkers were absolutely fantastic. I built long-lasting friendships there, but the management teams were young and inexperienced. Even the directors did not seem truly cut out for leadership, which is a real shame.

If you're looking for a customer service job, then this is a good place to look at. If you're serious about financial advising, market mechanics, trading, etc., then this will be a place to stop in but not stay long.
Sabbaticals are a huge plus
management needs to change but the core values of the company are solid. They have a great culture but need to improve upon work life balance. good benefits
Brand
This company cares about putting the client first and meeting the client's need. There is something to learn every day. The vacation time could improve
I enjoyed working here. It's an remarkable company.
Charles Schwab is a great company. You must keep in mind that this is a call service center. I was able to get a lot of overtime, especially during tax season.
Can be a fun place to work depending upon the team
If you are a hard worker this is a great place to work. Culture is changing to a bit less friendly than when I was hired. However, the friendly culture is changing and more stiff and starchy than previously.
Financial consultant
Major company, good perks, but very political at lower management levels. Company penny pinches everything. Chicago office could be very standoffish environment
Pros
Good job n pay
Cons
Bad management/technology
Best place to thrive
You can ONLY experience excellence at Charles Schwab. You'll come out better than you came in as far as knowledge and how to manage money life family and goals
High Integrity, Strong People-Focus, Innovative
Schwab was one of the best companies I ever worked for. Schwab puts people first and is focused on delivering innovative solutions to its customers. The company has an excellent performance-based culture. You are surrounded by great people you can trust. I miss working for Schwab and would rejoin the company if the right role was available.
Pros
People development, focus on customers, great benefits including a sabbatical every three years
Cons
Can't think of anything!
Stale environment, rigid, focused on process, not on results
I'll sum it up in two words: financial industry. I have worked for a few other companies in this industry, as well as in healthcare, and in government many years ago. They share a lot of cultural features, i.e. tend to be very hierarchical, focused more on following process rather than strategic goals also due to the heavy regulated environment, and have a lot of employees with seniority, which often translates into an environment that is hostile to change and innovation.
Schwab in particular, has a cult-like culture, and is inflexible on remote work, which is quite ridiculous in this day and age.

I felt like a cog in a useless machine, it has been one of the most miserable professional experiences of my entire life, so I ran away as fast as I could.

If you like routine, stability, and getting paid a decent salary for doing what you're being told, then go ahead, you might like them.
Unhealthy work place
Schwab does not care about their front line employees. They strive to have you preform like a robot and rarely reward you for your hard work. They dangle any promotion or compensation in your face and never go through with providing it.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charles Schwab. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

4.1Fairygodboss Score

68%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

78%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.