Charleston Area Medical Center (CAMC) Employee Reviews

Horrible!
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJune 6, 2019
Run as far as you can from this company! They are more concerned with hiring more “suits and ties” (aka: administration) than anything else.

The respiratory therapists who work for CAMC get horribly treated by management and other hospital staff, and no one has done anything about it. HR was forced to step in with a minimal raise once (which wasn’t great) and their yearly raises are based more off of how nurses perform instead of how THEY perform.

Assignments are overwhelming — Most days ONE respiratory therapist is covering THREE or FOUR areas, which humanely should be divided into three or four different assignments. The ER is a madhouse with only one RT covering the whole area, when the demand is almost always for two RTs. There is also no consistency within the department. Policies literally change every week.

CAMC is not devoted to patient care. Even the managers will tell you that it’s impossible to provide adequate patient care at this facility since their budget to provide enough staff barely exists.

If you are a respiratory therapist, do not work here. You will be treated horribly and most of your acute and critical care skills (like intubation and arterial line placement) will be taken away from you and given to CRNAs and residents. Go somewhere else where you will be treated well, used well, and paid well.
Pros
Working 3/12s.
Cons
Pay, assignments/workloads, and unable to use your skills.
June 10, 2019

At CAMC, our mission is to provide the best care to every patient, every day. This is the driving force of everything we do – the patient. To do that, we strive to create a culture that supports our staff – particularly those at the bedside. We provide opportunities for career advancement, competitive pay and benefits, and financial assistance for education. By doing so, we hope to attract and retain a qualified team of health care providers that take pride in their work and choice of employer. We’re sorry you had a negative experience with us and encourage you to reach out to our HR department if you’d like to tell us more about what you may recommend as areas of improvement for us.

A great place to work with great benefits!
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 28, 2019
I worked in Nutrition Services so the pace in my department was very fast most of the time. I worked on the tray line 3 times a day and did all of the dishes after every meal. Weekends are usually more laid back and relaxed. I have worked in food before so most of the things like health rules I already knew. Management is great if you do right by them. The hardest part of the job is working 12 hours every single day due to certain circumstances, but the up side to that was getting 3 days off! It is worth it if you need the pay and benefits for yourself or a family. For the most part, I highly recommend working here.
Run
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 19, 2019
There's no reason to work for this hospital system. Ok, there's just one: gain 6 months to a year experience then run as fast as you can. The pay is less than area hospitals. There is inadequate parking. Management is overloaded with less than qualified individuals. Let's talk about management. Management is a gross form of nepotism. People are promoted if they know someone. They take the most lazy, ill qualified health care workers and promote them. When they were 40 million in the hole, they decided to lay off nurse practitioners and physician's assistants instead of laying off bloated middle management. Nurses are just a means to an end to them. Stay away from this hospital.
Pros
There are none
Cons
See paragraph
March 25, 2019

At CAMC, our mission is to provide the best care to every patient, every day. This is the driving force of everything we do – the patient. To do that, we strive to create a culture that supports our staff – particularly those at the bedside. We provide opportunities for career advancement, competitive pay and benefits, and financial assistance for education. By doing so, we hope to attract and retain a qualified team of nurses and health care providers that take pride in their work and choice of employer. We’re sorry you had a negative experience with us and encourage you to reach out to our HR department if you’d like to tell us more about what you may recommend as areas of improvement for us.

Horrible Management and Administration
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 20, 2019
I would highly recommend looking elsewhere if considering applying for a job with CAMC. Management and administration are horrible, only care about filling jobs, not the quality of care that is being offered by potential employees. Most employees are there for a paycheck and not there for the right reasons. I witnessed many unethical occurrences during my years here, and at the end, decided I did not want to be associated with a healthcare company that would let everything I saw go on. Human Resources even told me at one point that they will hire “any warm bodies if they have a license”. If you are looking for a rewarding job, I would suggest to continue your search.
January 22, 2019

Great company
CRNA (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVAugust 13, 2018
I really enjoyed working for CAMC. Management was very supportive. It felt like working with family. Compensation and benefits were fair and competitive.
Love
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVAugust 10, 2018
I really enojyed working for CAMC. I grew so much confidence there that guided me elsewhere but it will always be home & I will always recommend working for them!
Work place
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJune 27, 2018
I really love what I do. I love making patients feel at ease during their stay at the hospital being that this is the last place a person wants to be. EVERYDAY is a learning day. EVERYDAY is always something different and I like different, I'm not much of a person who likes things being at a constant stand.
Pros
Taking care of patients
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Camc
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 10, 2018
Benefits are not good--no sick or personal days, you have to accrue your time worked there and that is not fair when you are a new employee and have something in life that happens abruptly and you have to miss work.
Pros
Accrue time for pto
Cons
PTO policy
Good place too work
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVDecember 5, 2017
Great staff, good place to work. Good place to start your nursing , career.,......staff takes time with the patient and the patients family... That's about it
Memorial hires inexperienced new grad RNs on critical units
RN staff ICU Step-Down unit (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVAugust 2, 2017
I did not like working for this company. I felt like I was thrown to the wolves as a new nurse. I advocated for myself and my patients and was ultimately punished for it with my schedule, I heard they haven't changed much. An awful first nursing job experience. I wouldn't recommend working there.
Pros
Orientation
Cons
Everything else
I enjoy CAMC
Scheduler/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVApril 27, 2017
I have been with CAMC for 6 years now and I enjoy it, my coworkers are awesome and my direct management is amazing. I can see myself with the company for a long time.
Average place to work.
Client Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVApril 3, 2017
Overall good place to work. Some catty coworkers if you can come to work and keep your personal life separate you'll have no problems. Supervisor has a tendency to pick favorites.
Nice place to work with great benefits
Registration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVMarch 7, 2017
CAMC is a wonderful place to work with great management and the patient is always the most important. When I started here almost 3 years ago I knew I would love it here, and I still do. Only trying to leave because of the long commute from home to work.
My Employment Experience at CAMC
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 19, 2017
I've been employed at CAMC for 30 years - I've had a wonderful experience; great team/leadership. I've worked in several different areas of the institution and learned something in every area that was taken with me. I love that the company is pro advancement. I work with a team who is amazing, and who work together to accomplish the task at hand, which to me is very important... TEAMWORK!
Pros
Advancement, Benefits
Cons
I personally dont have one.
Company always going through changes, changing rules and protocols continuously.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 18, 2015
I appreciate the experience I have gotten from this facility, and the support from my manager, but as whole, this organization does not treat it's staff very well, from nursing to housekeeping. I have seen the standards fall steadily over the past fifteen years and it saddens me.
Pros
Lots to learn for nursing
Cons
constantly changing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charleston Area Medical Center (CAMC). Our community is ready to answer.

Charleston Area Medical Center (CAMC) Reviews by Location