Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools Employee Reviews

Productive and collaborative work place.
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 21, 2019
Professional development and support with mentors and mentees teachers.
Classroom setup great and materials availability to teach science and content.
Productive work place
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 19, 2019
Great place to work when working to education children. Friendly environment, great staff, and scheduling hours are good. If you are seeking to working with children, this is a great employer
Would've Stayed
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCOctober 15, 2019
Would've stayed, but my family schedule required me to leave at the time. (Didn't make sense to work 40+ hours a week, just to pay for day care for my children.)
A great place to work and learn!
English Teacher/Reading Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 14, 2019
Wonderful workplace treats all people equally. The culture and climate defined career advancement and leadership opportunities. The most enjoyable part of the job was the amazing students!
Great i was very happy there
Secuity Officer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 4, 2019
I like working with others . And I ike. helping children. I have able to learn from others also. I look forward to able to keep obtaining more great experience like this in life .
Working for CMS
German Teacher (Former Employee) –  East Mecklenburg High SchoolOctober 3, 2019
CMS tries to improve the work culture at every juncture. My local principal and department chair were excellent leaders. My colleagues were the cream of the crop. Within the district, I had the opportunity to work with excellent professionals who strove to develop curriculum which would fulfill the current pedagogical standards.
N/a
SCHOOL SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 3, 2019
The Job here doesn’t pay enough to live alone or even live without having to worry about how something will get paid. Outside the hours and annual days off this job isn’t the best no job advancement and not enough pay.
Work place is clean and safe.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Marie G. DavisSeptember 29, 2019
I worked at CMS in many different position during my career as an educator. My answers on the survey reflect my last position as a Title I Tutor. I retire from CMS and my retirement benefits are very good. I work part time to stay connected to education. It is a place of continuous learning and I plan to be a life long learner.
Pros
Continuing education
Cons
Tutors are rarely trained to do the job
Productive, Rewarding, but can be stressful at times
CMS Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 24, 2019
The most enjoyable part of working for CMS Transportation is meeting some of the students, weekends off, and paid holidays.
Can be stressful some days.
Principals think they are above treating people fairly
Academic Facilitator/Dean of Students (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 22, 2019
Poor Management. When complaints or concerns are made to HR they do very little or fail to follow up. Principals appear to have an I do not care attitude when you have an issue that you want resolved thru HR, because they are confident that the words they speak of the employee will take more credence over the employee.
brighten day with children
Non-Certified Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 21, 2019
I love working with children, it brightens my day, adds to my joy
culturally diverse environment, constant learning, very inclusive employer.
I enjoy my school
Pros
being with children
Cons
very short breaks, low salary for high responsibility
Bad choice and no advancement
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 19, 2019
Before I got with CMS I use to hear rumors of some of the bad stuff but when I started it was much worse. Schools are old with funding going other places besides the kids. The custodial staff is usually the scapegoat when bad reviews happen. Custodial staff are paid pennies given little to no supplies and expected to perform miracles. The schools suffer and so do the kids. Half the schools especially title 1 dont have control of there kids. Bad behavior and drugs get overlooked because some principals are only worried about the money that comes in the more kids they have.
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
Management is bad, some schools are forgotten or they stopped caring, low pay, advancement is almost impossible with some eillinh to black ball you to keep you
Lowest paying job ever
SAC Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 18, 2019
The system needs a revamp. I have never been so unappreciated for the quality work that I do, EVER. It's sad the athe superintendent gets a raise but the teachers who are in the classroom cannot get one. Budget this and that...but sacrifices have to be made and it's not creating new positions. They don't appreciate their employees
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Pay
Fast paced, sometimes stressful environment
Special Education Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 18, 2019
I was an assistant teacher for behaviorally and emotionally challenged children. I was not provided enough training for the position. This caused the job environment to be stressful.
Site Coordinator
Site Coordinator/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 16, 2019
This position is to manage teacher and other staff members to ensure that the educational and social emotional needs are support for students in the Charlotte Mecklenburg School System.
Retired
High School Teacher/ Family and Consumer Science (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 15, 2019
The hours you put in as a teacher do not coincide with the pay. The administration is your worst enemy. If we could go in do our job with the students and not have to worry about the politics of the school, it would be a better place for all concerned.
Shifting Culture
Employee (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 11, 2019
With new management in place, it appears that CMS will become a more equitable place to work. The work is challenging but rewarding. Some of the workload could be lessened but that is a state issue, not a district issue.
Mediocre
Exceptional Children's Teacher (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 8, 2019
Have thoroughly enjoyed each team that I have worked with. Communication amongst departments lack. District is simply too large to efficiently manage.
My stay was productive and rewarding. I knew when it was time to retire.
Physical Education Teacher/Coach (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 7, 2019
Great life experience. Glad I found joy in teaching and coaching. Many lessons learned in dealing with children and parents. Truly gratified with overall growth of students from 9th through 12th grade. Administration of individual schools makes a huge difference in performance of both staff and students.
Pros
Love the relaxed dress code. Much satisfaction in watching kids learn and grow
Cons
Income for work not worth it
Good
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 3, 2019
it was a very good review. It was very interesting and intense answering questions. Had a great conversation and communication skills. Wanted to know If I could do the job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight