Charter One Bank, N.A. Employee Reviews

Fun, upbeat place to work
Customer Service Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 22, 2018
Fun, upbeat place to work. Learned a lot growth opportunities. Workplace culture was great. Management was always open and available to getting you what's needed to do your job
Very Good Bank
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Commerce, MIMay 21, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Charter One I was really young and learned a lot. I had great managers and would recommend working there. It was challenging and rewarding to work there.
love working at charter one bank
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 3, 2018
It was a great place to work and advance. The people and the broker that i had the pleasure of knowing was great. If i every get the chance to do it again, I hope the next company would be like them.
Very fast paced high volume call center.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 20, 2018
Probably the busiest place I have worked at. For eight straight hours one call after another and at least 100 in queue at all times. It made the day go rapidly but was stressful. Management and my co-workers were the finest I ever worked with.
Pros
So busy the time just flew by.
Cons
Compensation was low and it was very stressful no one calls a bank because they are happy.
very friendly and fun
Teller, Back up vault custodian (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, OHMarch 26, 2018
You get to know your customers and employees are very helpful. Lots of fun days, stressful some in regards to cross selling when you see the same customers over and over again.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
management plays favoritizm
Loved
Teller Manager (Former Employee) –  Bedford, OHMarch 23, 2018
My first full time job. I enjoyed my coworkers and also the customers who were always friendly. the sales demands were kind of high but I would work there any day
would not work there again
Sales Assistant RBS Citizens (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMarch 21, 2018
The support from operations was very slow and the loans took too long to close. we lost many clients due to the time frame from application to closing
Unethical Sales job
FINANCIAL SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 14, 2018
It was horrible. Constantly had to maintain Sales goals but the products people did want didn't count. Constantly pressured to make cold calls and justify in meetings if you didn't reach your goals
Pros
Perks if you made your Goals
Cons
Stressful Job
Stressful
Lead Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 17, 2018
Stressful, no work life balance. During your shift they only scheduled two employees and a manager. The manager would always be out so we was not able to take lunch and had to work through lunches.
Pros
hours
Cons
stability
Not a bad gig
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHFebruary 13, 2018
I had a lot of fun working at (back then) Charter One Bank (Now Citizen's Bank).

I had fantastic management and while the upper management such as Regional Managers would micro manage the branch managers, as a personal banker we were generally shielded from that.

The actual compensation was not impressive but this was my first "real" job I had gone out and got on my own. The insurance was fantastic and you had great access to financial planners to help with your 401k and retirement plans.

Bonuses were paid out quarterly but were difficult to maximize, in my opinion.

The day was pretty mundane, unless you had a customer with a crisis situation or someone who just shared their life story.

They started eliminating positions within the company which shrunk the pool of management positions. This was a major turn off as I was working towards the goal of getting an assistant management position.

Overall I had a positive experience with COB, but they started micro managing all of us HARD and with lack of promotion potential, I decided to move on.
Pros
Easy hours, small but great staff, enjoyed the customers
Cons
No upward movement, unreal micro management, pay
Sales and Benefits
Teller Manager (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MIFebruary 8, 2018
If you love selling products and services and making sales calls everyday then working for Charter One Bank N.A.(Citizens Bank) is a great place to be. It is very hard at times with feeling like you are a car or furniture sales person pushing a unecessary product down a customers throat just to make your numbers. It makes you feel horrible inside. The best part of the job was learning and taking management coarses and how to coach employees and be a successful manager as well as operations of a company. I wouldn't be where I am today without all of the knowledge I learned from working there.
Pros
Great benefits and training
Cons
having you take long breaks to make sales calls so you didn't exceed 40 hours
Day working at Charter One
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 7, 2018
Log in Took calls and helped customers daily.
I don't remember all the jobs I did at this company that was 16 yrs ago.

But it was a call center with different departments and lots of managers.
Fun
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Rockport, TXJanuary 26, 2018
I loved working here! It was stable, reliable and I worked for great people! It was a blessing with great benefits! Love the management with lots of chances for promotion
Very sales orientated
Manager (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIJanuary 6, 2018
As a employee, everyone had a sales goal, which at times was hard to reach. as a manager, I gave employees extra tools so that they could achieve their goals
Pros
Bonus
Cons
na
Competitive
Personal Banker and Teller (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 6, 2018
A typical work day was sales, sales, sales, and more sales.

What I've learned was to sale, not to trust you co-worker because they may steal your sale. Just a little cut-throat!

Management lied to you to get you to work harder and showed lots of favoritism.

The hardest part of the job was going out in isles at the grocery store branches and soliciting sales from customers that were shopping at the store. I didn't like working on the weekends.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers and building relationship with them.
Pros
Relationship building
Cons
Cut-Throat Sales
Typical Bank
Teller Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHDecember 21, 2017
Charter One Bank had a typical banking environment. They were robbed 3 times while I was teller manager, each time was someone other than me. It was stressful knowing at some point it could be me.
Pros
Customers were nice
Cons
Being Robbed
Great
Teller Manager (Former Employee) –  Elmwood Park, IL 60707November 14, 2017
i enjoyed working with all my co workers i was the Teller manager at the time it was very good experience also learned a lot from my management team it was great
Ok place to work
Mortgage Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 10, 2017
Charter One no longer exists. The company was bought out by Citizen's bank. I left well before the take-over because Charter decided to get out of the mortgage loan servicing business.
Decent place to work
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MINovember 8, 2017
This was a decent place to work. If you are good with dealing with customers and handling money, then this place is for you. Also you should be able to sell their products as well.
Nice place to work, nice group of people
Receptionist/Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 6, 2017
I liked working there. I answered and routed calls and helped customers, reconciled statements, debited and credited accounts. Nice workplace atmosphere. Hardest part of the job was not making any mistakes or clerical errors. I was young, and learned to be better organized and focused.
Pros
Great working atmosphere, 1 hr for lunch
Cons
Trying not to make any financial or clerical errors.