Charter Schools USA Employee Reviews

2.7
Ratings breakdown
Simple...Don't do it.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pinellas CountyJuly 10, 2018
I don't know what was worst....the disorganization and incompetence of administration, or the poor quality education that is churned out. No one ever seemed to know what was going on and everybody was always on different pages.

The administration cares more that teachers classrooms reflect CSUSA standards, than providing a quality education to the students.....which it did not. Uniforms were overpriced, teachers are overworked and underappreciated (did I mention underpaid?) There are rats running around...posing as people...reporting EVERYTHING! Very fake people...not to be trusted. All they care about is that they keep their enrollment numbers up so that they can keep their funding. Too much responsibility that absolutely had nothing to do with educating students. Policy priorities. Providing a quality education is a distant second priority.
Students run the school.
Pros
Some of the students were nice
Cons
Leaving the campus during lunch is not favorable in the eyes of administration, teachers are underappreciated, overworked and underpaid, very high retention rate for teachers, very hostile, uncomfortable, unhealthy work environment
RUN and avoid like the plague
Teacher (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 20, 2018
First of all, my co-workers never liked me for the sole reason that I was the team lead. My role was to assist and guide them as most of them were first year teachers. I was backstabbed, ridiculed behind my back and left out of mandatory team meetings that I was required to attend. My good news is that after 4 years in the charter school system, I was finally able to achieve the Holy Grail...a public job in the district. HOWEVER, the beginning of any year at CSUSA is the summit, which everyone has to pretend they are pumped about, but in reality they LOATHE IT! Can you believe that CSUSA actually has spies walking around the summit conference floor, checking to see if people are on their cell phones to escape the boredom and they are reported on and your table is reprimanded, as adults?!? Unacceptable.

The students run the school. They are always believed and misbehavior is RAMPANT.

I could write pages of what is wrong with CSUSA, but I won't because it would take hours. My advice is to take this job if your ONLY and I mean, ONLY other option is a fast-food restaurant.
Pros
Cons
Too numerous to mention
This charter school is a mess!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Collier County, FLJune 16, 2018
After being a successful teacher out of state I began to teach in charter school. The administration was arrogant and condescending. Planning time was on your own time because your planning period was taken up with constant meetings about testing. Teachers were racing out the door! I was one of them. The kids were awfully behaved it was like all the kids who had behavior problems in Collier county were just dumped there. Class size was 25 kids with space for 18. No support for special ed kids. Intervention programs are poorly organized and understaffed. I couldn’t stand the stress so I left after a few months. I was just one of the 9 teachers who left by Christmas break! What does that tell you. Stay away. It’s an awful place to be. I love teaching but there was very little time to teach. Avoid this place.
Pros
Coworkers were wonderful.
Cons
Pay, administration, lack of materials, no support, kids don’t get what they need. Behavior problems.
Teacher Beware! Langtree Upper/Mooresville, NC
Former Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJune 12, 2018
If you love teaching, skip this place. The behavioral issues are on super overdrive. The school caters to parents and students, teachers are treated with no respect. Administration tries to make you feel better by constantly saying (Thank you for all that you do) It is said so often that it has become like a cold, corporate tagline.

This school year, we lost most of our EC department after the winter break. We lost others as well from the high school & middle school.
Every school year, The staff turnover is a revolving door. A simple walk to the teacher's work room and you will see teachers uncontrollably sobbing.

CSUSA's grading practices are ridiculous too. (Practice and Mastery Grades) The practice grades fuel students not to do their homework. They don't need to study because students can retest. Planning time is almost non existent, so be prepared to work nights and weekends. Supplies and resources are almost non existent. I spent a small fortune this year on buying supplies and downloading from Teachers Pay Teachers.

Working there was literally like a sweatshop, once a week, you even work without a lunch break because you have to be at lunch duty. Oh, by the way, lunch is literally squeezed in your daily schedule (15/20 minutes). After Winter Break, the principal added another half period into our day (It's called Success; it's an unplanned hot mess. ). So, I literally taught 7 1/2 periods a day.

So, avoid this at all costs
Pros
Cons
all of the above
Warning- horrible company to work for
teacher (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJune 11, 2018
Expectations are unrealistic, students are not able to be children even in early childhood. Unprofessional environment. You will not receive many planning periods. This company micromanages ! If you go to work for this company plan on a lot of useless meetings, paperwork, and long hours.

THIS IS A CORPORATION, AND NOT A FAMILY SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT.
Poor management
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 1, 2018
Under paid and poor management. Luckily the company did engage in a lot of professional development. They help build leadership skills, which is useful when you are ready to move on.
Not a good place.
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Cabarrus, NCMay 31, 2018
The school over works you and does not update you on special events, and has a high turn over rate, lack of training, bad with communication, they overwork their staff and teachers, teachers have to work in multiple classroom back of bugets and underpaid. For as IT staff supppse to put in tickets but does not and always stop you what you are doing.
Pros
Pto, benefits, learn a lot of different things in IT.
Cons
Overworked, cut throat, poor communication
Horrible place to work or send your child.
Leadership (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCMay 30, 2018
Do not send your child here. They deserve a true education and will not receive one here. It is a for profit school and the teachers were treated awful which led to excessive turnover. Money is all that matters to this group of non-educators that CSUSA call leaders.
Pros
Cons
No discipline of students, unfair treatment of teachers, No support for anyone, I can not believe there are schools that actually exist like this in America, I have ten years experience in education and know what a real school lools like, This is not one of them.
Very collaborative environment
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 25, 2018
A collaborative and high performing environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with our schools to impact student success. There are some challenges with the job that I do not have control over or have not been able to influence. This is evident in the culture of the organization.
Great kids you grow to love
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 25, 2018
The students kept you coming back. Administration lacked communication and professionalism. Inconsistent rules and discipline towards staff and kids. Some co-workers were great team players and were collaborative. As a whole, no feedback was considered.
Pros
insurance, pay rate
Cons
no support, stressful workplace
supportive environment
Kindergarten Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLMay 24, 2018
community centered student oriented environment. great place to work. very supportive staff . parents are supportive with student education. many resources and services for parents and students.
Teaching
Keys Gate Charter School- Full Time (Current Employee) –  Homestead, FLMay 24, 2018
The school is a great place to teach. I love the staff. I feel that this is a family. When I get to school there is always someone here to say good morning. The best is that I have a great team that I work with.
Horrible place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCMay 22, 2018
Cabarrus Charter Academy is run by a corporation. They take a cut of the already minimal amount from the state and federal government to educate students. The leadership that they put in place has been unreliable and ruthless. They do not know how to lead and corporate really doesn't care about the welfare of the students and teachers. Go anywhere else but a school associated with Charter Schools USA.
Good place
Head Custodian (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLMay 18, 2018
Good place to work, no weekend,flexible supervisor,team work, good staff, the only hardest part is the cafeteria but nothing bad, if you need somenthing everybody like to help.
REGIONAL SPECIAL EDUCATION COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 17, 2018
Until my position was eliminated, I enjoyed working with my direct supervisor and my coworkers. I am only leaving the company because I am not willing to relocate after my position was no longer needed in my current state.
Not a teacher friendly environment.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLMay 14, 2018
Due to the fact that subs are grossly underpaid, teachers were
asked to fill in/sub in grade levels that are not in their comfort
zone or expertise. Stressful.
ok place to work for a part-time job
Cafeteria Worker (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 8, 2018
the company it self was a fair company, i feel that they should have sometimes benefits for the employee even it was a part-time job they never gave their employees recconition for anything the managers wasn't fair to all employees,there was no chance for advancements not at all.the only good thing is the pair it was good for part-time hours.
Pros
pay and free lunches
Cons
much need for better managements
Family community
Middle School ESE Teacher (Current Employee) –  Plantation, FLMay 8, 2018
The teachers were extremely collaborative and great to work with. The company fosters and practices a family community between all employees and sister schools.

The hardest part of the job was to motivate the students to want to learn and to take their education seriously.
Pros
Pot Lunches
Cons
No breaks until the end of the day.
Positive
Principal (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIMay 4, 2018
I was satisfied with my job. It was unfortunate that the company decided to pull out of Michigan.

I was not in a position to continue with CSUSA in a similar position in Fl. Relocating was not an option for me at this stage of my life and career.
Unorganized and not supportive of staff
Teacher - English Language Arts and Journalism (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCApril 26, 2018
The administration is not supportive of staff at all, and will always take the side of students and parents. There is no organization in regard to classes, teachers are expected to teach outside of their content area, without curriculum support.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charter Schools USA. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.8InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

1.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight