Charter Schools USA Employee Reviews

2.7
Ratings breakdown
Stay away
SEA (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 9, 2018
Underpaid and overworked sums it all up. AP is the worst such chip on her shoulder. Benefits are way expensive. Turn around is big 30 to 40 people leave every school year.
Pros
Nice co workers
Cons
Benefits and salary is way low
Avoid
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCAugust 7, 2018
I would not recommend working here. Students are not treated like kids and are expected to preform at unreasonable levels. Leadership lacks communication skills. All the company cares about is money and not the kids. Classrooms are super small with large class sizes. Most days I would work at least 10 hours at school and if there are meetings expect to work at least 12 hours at school not including take home work.
Pros
Awesome Students and Parent Support
Cons
No support from leadership, long hours, business run atmosphere
Beware of csusa
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 6, 2018
This review is only pertinent to the Jacksonville - Baymeadows campus. I’m sure that some of the things that I will share are useful for some other campuses, but please do not rely on that. When I was hired, my principal ensured me that I would be happy there. She was wrong. I honestly think that she tried everything in her willpower to make my time at that school horrible - without firing me because she would have had a civil suit attached to her for discrimination. If you are a person of color, you will not do well. The administration finds any and everything to pick on and to make you feel as if you are inadequate. Our principal said that she was only worried about the “test scores,” but that was far from the case. Everyday, it was a new thing that she was unhappy about. During our staff meetings, she was extremely demeaning towards the teachers and basically did not care or want to hear our concerns that we had. She never apologized for her racially charged Facebook posts. She ALWAYS stayed in her office. She was never present in the hallways or classrooms. Her leadership is absolutely horrible. Her team was just as bad as well. It was like they were still in high school with all of the gossiping that they did about teachers and staff members. Most of the things said about the teachers and staff were completely unprofessional and inappropriate. The team never seemed as if they were on one accord which trickled down to the teachers. Administration was so disorganized when it came to deadlines. They expected things from us in a timely manner but we had to wait months for feedback  more... on our observations. Mine was completed on the LAST day of school. Administration was rarely in our rooms (a good thing for some) but when it came to observations, their comments were not strong or based on any evidence, which made it hard for us to really know where we stood and what we could improve on. We were expected to work beyond our paid hours and were told by the principal that if we wanted a 7:15-3:45 job, we picked the wrong profession. We were not compensated or appreciated for the work that we put in at all. The administration played favorites, which is done at every school. However, it was to a higher degree here. Also, they do not support having a positive work/life balance because they sent emails all throughout the night and even on the weekends.

Oh, and this company only gives you 8 PTO days when the district gives you 10. You have to ask for days off at the Baymeadows campus, and if it doesn’t get approved, you cannot take off even if you have the days.

As a person of color, I would not work here. I felt like I was discriminated against so many times throughout the school year. I was picked on for numerous things that I could not change. I called HR numerous times but nothing happened. Of course.

If you decide to work here, I would be careful. It seems good at the beginning of the school year, but it gets worse.
Pros
The students
Cons
The adminstration
New facility that's making forward progress.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJuly 20, 2018
I currently work at the Langtree Academy Upper Campus (since 2017-2018 ) and I find that being a part of something new is extremely rewarding and exciting. I have read most of the reviews here on this site and it seems to be a therapy session for those who have been wronged by CSUSA; specifically Langtree.

What most do not understand is that this was the second year that our facility has been open. The 2018-2019 school year will have its first class of seniors (14 students give or take).

Like any other school or company you're not going to hire an all star staff right out of the gate. There will be some staff who won't make the cut and be let go or if they feel the need they resign. This is a part of life. I have been in public education for many years and I have never had this much say in the curriculum being taught at my grade level. I have range of selecting texts and resources that I can implement in my room with cooperation from a curriculum resource teacher.

We teach out students reachable goals everyday in the classroom and I think most adults on here need to realize that as well. REACHABLE goals, we aren't going to be an A+ school year one with amazing students and staff; this culture takes time to foster and create. We are starting from the bottom and working towards the top.

Every year there has been tremendous leaps of development. There have been new clubs and student interests added every year and the athletic department is slowly growing as well.
Pros
Brand new facility; staff have a sta
Profession working staff
Teacher, Coral Springs Charter School (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 20, 2018
Charter Schools USA offers its teachers a career path and opportunities for growth. Ther company’s drive for superior culture is supported by company-wide recognition programs, staff climate surveys, communication teams that build collaboration and trust, and performance management systems that support a pay-for-performance superior culture. Charter Schools USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Simple...Don't do it.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pinellas CountyJuly 10, 2018
I don't know what was worst....the disorganization and incompetence of administration, or the poor quality education that is churned out. No one ever seemed to know what was going on and everybody was always on different pages.

The administration cares more that teachers classrooms reflect CSUSA standards, than providing a quality education to the students.....which it did not. Uniforms were overpriced, teachers are overworked and underappreciated (did I mention underpaid?) There are rats running around...posing as people...reporting EVERYTHING! Very fake people...not to be trusted. All they care about is that they keep their enrollment numbers up so that they can keep their funding. Too much responsibility that absolutely had nothing to do with educating students. Policy priorities. Providing a quality education is a distant second priority.
Students run the school.
Pros
Some of the students were nice
Cons
Leaving the campus during lunch is not favorable in the eyes of administration, teachers are underappreciated, overworked and underpaid, very high retention rate for teachers, very hostile, uncomfortable, unhealthy work environment
RUN and avoid like the plague
Teacher (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 20, 2018
First of all, my co-workers never liked me for the sole reason that I was the team lead. My role was to assist and guide them as most of them were first year teachers. I was backstabbed, ridiculed behind my back and left out of mandatory team meetings that I was required to attend. My good news is that after 4 years in the charter school system, I was finally able to achieve the Holy Grail...a public job in the district. HOWEVER, the beginning of any year at CSUSA is the summit, which everyone has to pretend they are pumped about, but in reality they LOATHE IT! Can you believe that CSUSA actually has spies walking around the summit conference floor, checking to see if people are on their cell phones to escape the boredom and they are reported on and your table is reprimanded, as adults?!? Unacceptable.

The students run the school. They are always believed and misbehavior is RAMPANT.

I could write pages of what is wrong with CSUSA, but I won't because it would take hours. My advice is to take this job if your ONLY and I mean, ONLY other option is a fast-food restaurant.
Pros
Cons
Too numerous to mention
This charter school is a mess!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Collier County, FLJune 16, 2018
After being a successful teacher out of state I began to teach in charter school. The administration was arrogant and condescending. Planning time was on your own time because your planning period was taken up with constant meetings about testing. Teachers were racing out the door! I was one of them. The kids were awfully behaved it was like all the kids who had behavior problems in Collier county were just dumped there. Class size was 25 kids with space for 18. No support for special ed kids. Intervention programs are poorly organized and understaffed. I couldn’t stand the stress so I left after a few months. I was just one of the 9 teachers who left by Christmas break! What does that tell you. Stay away. It’s an awful place to be. I love teaching but there was very little time to teach. Avoid this place.
Pros
Coworkers were wonderful.
Cons
Pay, administration, lack of materials, no support, kids don’t get what they need. Behavior problems.
It started off good
Food Service Worker I (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJune 13, 2018
It started off as if it would be a nice job. As soon as something happens they turn their back on you. There's no chance to improve and pay isn't great. Once they don't like you they will do everything in their power to get rid of you.
Pros
Great kids
Cons
Not pay when there's no school, unprofessionalism
Teacher Beware! Langtree Upper/Mooresville, NC
Former Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJune 12, 2018
If you love teaching, skip this place. The behavioral issues are on super overdrive. The school caters to parents and students, teachers are treated with no respect. Administration tries to make you feel better by constantly saying (Thank you for all that you do) It is said so often that it has become like a cold, corporate tagline.

This school year, we lost most of our EC department after the winter break. We lost others as well from the high school & middle school.
Every school year, The staff turnover is a revolving door. A simple walk to the teacher's work room and you will see teachers uncontrollably sobbing.

CSUSA's grading practices are ridiculous too. (Practice and Mastery Grades) The practice grades fuel students not to do their homework. They don't need to study because students can retest. Planning time is almost non existent, so be prepared to work nights and weekends. Supplies and resources are almost non existent. I spent a small fortune this year on buying supplies and downloading from Teachers Pay Teachers.

Working there was literally like a sweatshop, once a week, you even work without a lunch break because you have to be at lunch duty. Oh, by the way, lunch is literally squeezed in your daily schedule (15/20 minutes). After Winter Break, the principal added another half period into our day (It's called Success; it's an unplanned hot mess. ). So, I literally taught 7 1/2 periods a day.

So, avoid this at all costs
Pros
Cons
all of the above
Warning- horrible company to work for
teacher (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJune 11, 2018
Expectations are unrealistic, students are not able to be children even in early childhood. Unprofessional environment. You will not receive many planning periods. This company micromanages ! If you go to work for this company plan on a lot of useless meetings, paperwork, and long hours.

THIS IS A CORPORATION, AND NOT A FAMILY SCHOOL ENVIRONMENT.
Poor management
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 1, 2018
Under paid and poor management. Luckily the company did engage in a lot of professional development. They help build leadership skills, which is useful when you are ready to move on.
Not a good place.
IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Cabarrus, NCMay 31, 2018
The school over works you and does not update you on special events, and has a high turn over rate, lack of training, bad with communication, they overwork their staff and teachers, teachers have to work in multiple classroom back of bugets and underpaid. For as IT staff supppse to put in tickets but does not and always stop you what you are doing.
Pros
Pto, benefits, learn a lot of different things in IT.
Cons
Overworked, cut throat, poor communication
Horrible place to work or send your child.
Leadership (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCMay 30, 2018
Do not send your child here. They deserve a true education and will not receive one here. It is a for profit school and the teachers were treated awful which led to excessive turnover. Money is all that matters to this group of non-educators that CSUSA call leaders.
Pros
Cons
No discipline of students, unfair treatment of teachers, No support for anyone, I can not believe there are schools that actually exist like this in America, I have ten years experience in education and know what a real school lools like, This is not one of them.
Very collaborative environment
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 25, 2018
A collaborative and high performing environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with our schools to impact student success. There are some challenges with the job that I do not have control over or have not been able to influence. This is evident in the culture of the organization.
Great kids you grow to love
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 25, 2018
The students kept you coming back. Administration lacked communication and professionalism. Inconsistent rules and discipline towards staff and kids. Some co-workers were great team players and were collaborative. As a whole, no feedback was considered.
Pros
insurance, pay rate
Cons
no support, stressful workplace
supportive environment
Kindergarten Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLMay 24, 2018
community centered student oriented environment. great place to work. very supportive staff . parents are supportive with student education. many resources and services for parents and students.
Teaching
Keys Gate Charter School- Full Time (Current Employee) –  Homestead, FLMay 24, 2018
The school is a great place to teach. I love the staff. I feel that this is a family. When I get to school there is always someone here to say good morning. The best is that I have a great team that I work with.
Horrible place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCMay 22, 2018
Cabarrus Charter Academy is run by a corporation. They take a cut of the already minimal amount from the state and federal government to educate students. The leadership that they put in place has been unreliable and ruthless. They do not know how to lead and corporate really doesn't care about the welfare of the students and teachers. Go anywhere else but a school associated with Charter Schools USA.
Good place
Head Custodian (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLMay 18, 2018
Good place to work, no weekend,flexible supervisor,team work, good staff, the only hardest part is the cafeteria but nothing bad, if you need somenthing everybody like to help.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charter Schools USA. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.8InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

1.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight