Charter Steel Employee Reviews

a lot of fast days when rolling steel downtime easy work
Charger (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 11, 2019
they started rolling too much lead based steel and the constant smell and taste of lead in the air. cobbles were a pain in the and some took 3-4 hours to clean up. mill changes are very difficult and hard work until finished. anything can happen very dangerous work place and you can make a fatal mistake at any given time your fault or not. most employees were nice but there are always a few bad apples
Pros
non rolling days were good
Cons
no lunch breaks during rolling sessions
Nice place to work
Roll Shop Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Saukville, WINovember 11, 2018
Charter is a good place. Pay is good. Benefits are good The people are fun to work with. Its been five years since I have worked there. This is from what it was like when I was there
Productive workplace with a good culture and room for advancement.
Roughing Mill Operator (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Heights, OHNovember 10, 2018
Overall a positive place to work. Good overall culture. Typical day at work was usually fairly relaxed. Hardest part of the job would be the heat from hot rolling steel, especially during the summer months.
Pros
Free lunch breaks
Cons
Long hours, heat
Maintenance Technician
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Heights, OHSeptember 18, 2018
This a steel melting and casting facility. Two furnaces and a caster. It is a very HOT environment. When something goes down it is a very fast paced environment.
Nice people
Billeting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 1, 2018
Short experience! Wasn't think long to give a review! Good luck working there you may get randoms and judged very quickly! They job was to far and the freeway would make you late but they wouldn't care even if its out of t
Your control
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Unfair
Overall a great place to work, but..
hourly guy (Current Employee) –  clevelandAugust 18, 2018
Proud to work for the company, great owners.
We make sure we are top notch manufacturers of our products, nobody accepts shortcuts if it comes to product quality and availability.

A big thanks to the Mellow Family, first keep up the good job with investing into Chartersteels future it is worth it.

Some managers can't help it but micromanage hourly employees, even though one of our core values is trust?! If nothing changes it will do no good to affected employee's engagement.
Pros
owners
Cons
rules change all the time
Hot environment and long hours.
Scale/ Intermediate Operator (Current Employee) –  Saukville, WIJuly 31, 2018
I enjoy working at Charter steel. But there's long hours and it gets very hot in the mil. Great benefits and nice management. Overall a safe workplace and a reputable company.
place is dirty
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cuyahoga Heights, OHJuly 24, 2018
dirty place management is not reliable or do not help you promote you to succeed in new job duties. no structured lunch or break periods, no lunchrooms no union
Very nice incentives to push you to climb the pay scale
EAF Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 19, 2018
mostly hot or cold due to nature of the plant
decent amount of physical labor.
easy to move up the pay scale while working overtime
plenty of decent employees and managers that push you to do better
Pros
good pay good benefits
Cons
hot or cold conditions to work in depending on which department
When things are broke we fix it, if not we wait until something breaks.Projects are given out by our Supervisors to be done which is not a problem t [
Rolling Mill Electrician (Current Employee) –  Cuyahoga Hts, OHJuly 9, 2018
Good company for many years with good management. A lot of changes recently within the company with different management now a lot people have left. Good brotherhood culture though.

Want to know more about Charter Steel?

Ask a question
Great company to work for. Family owned, great respect for the ownership family.
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saukville, WIJune 2, 2018
Charter is a great company to work for. Charter has grown immensely over the last 26 years I have been with them. Great security. It is a fast-paced company that excels in the steel making field with well above average work ethic from all employees.
Good people
Processing bander/anneal (Former Employee) –  Saukville, WIMay 28, 2018
Benefits are good people are easy to work with. Upper management isn't great,do what they want doesn't seem to stand by one team one family Pays good vacation time is nice. Hot
Processing Associate (Former Employee) –  Saukville, WIMay 23, 2018
Charter Steel is a great place to work. If willing to work and pass a drug test. The hours are great with a lot of time off. I can not recommend charter steel enough.
Great Place to Work
Environmental Contract Worker (Former Employee) –  Saukville, WIApril 4, 2018
Great company. Thoughtful and considerate of their employee's needs. Great benefits. Group culture and fantastic company as a family mentality. I'd recommend to anyone.
good pay and benefits but employee rules are enforced per management whim
Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 3, 2018
Poor management of departments with obvious favoritism leading to hiding mistakes and blaming others to compensate to try stay in positive viewing by management.
Excellent Company to work for!!!!!
Quality System Continuous Improvement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saukville, WIFebruary 18, 2018
Love all of my job responsibilities.
Learned working in an environment that manufactures produce for the Automotive Industry.
Hardest part of the job has become the drive. 45 minutes to 1 hour in bad weather. Normal conditions 30 minutes.
Pros
Great Place to Work!
Cons
The Drive.
Fun people!
Summer Help (Former Employee) –  Saukville, WIFebruary 12, 2018
Great place to work if you don't mind having fun and getting you hands dirty. The people are great, and the staff is considerably laid back. Overall, I would recommend Charter.
Good time off it you get it
Maintenance technician (Current Employee) –  Risingsun, OHJanuary 16, 2018
I like what I do at Charter and I like the people I work with, but the way I have to cover vacation requires me to work everyday but monday and every other saturday from may untill september. Also I am looking for better insurance.
Pros
well payed
Cons
Lots of overtime
I liked the job ,and the people I worked with.
Tow Motor Operator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 28, 2017
Working there was long hours cool nights and fast paced .
I learned a lot there about the job I did .My only regrets I have it wasn't a full time job.
Dependable
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saukville, WIOctober 15, 2017
Great culture and pay. Takes goods care of their employee's. Offers pay for skill. Typically busy environment but handles stress well. Best part of Charter is their ability to take care of people.
Pros
Pay, incentives, career minded
Cons
Tough schedule contributes to work life ratio issues on the floor and Supervisors.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Charter Steel. Our community is ready to answer.