Chatham University Employee Reviews

A typical day at work
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 22, 2019
As an adjunct faculty member I had complete autonomy over the classes I taught. I enjoyed the students and the other faculty I worked with. I started teaching after work in the evenings, one night a week. They moved to a split class system where one class started to meet two nights a week. Since this was in addition to my regular full time job, traveling there and teaching two nights a week became too much and was taking away from my family time.
this was a workstudy!
Theater Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 29, 2018
I worked in the Theater department for my work study. That department has been eliminated. I can't honestly say I would work for them under the current Board of Directors.
the campus
Manager, eFollett Bookstore (Former Employee) –  bookstoreAugust 8, 2018
The people are nice depends what part of the campus you work in. some are better than others. The mail room people are great. I worked for another company that runs the bookstore, but the bookstore is good. I would do it again.
Good Intent, Ineffective Management
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 27, 2018
When I worked there, it was all-women undergraduate programs and men and women graduate programs. It's a very small school on a really pretty campus. In my observation, the institution suffered from a lack of focus. New initiatives were constantly being launched , which put a burden on faculty expected to generate reports, funding "white papers", etc. The Administration seemed beholden to the Board of Directors. There are some really wonderful people at Chatham, and again the campus is stunning and has a very nice athletic centre which includes a pool.
Pros
Pretty campus, decent benefits, interesting people
Cons
Chaotic administration
Great colleagues; beautiful setting
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 1, 2018
As is common to academia, long hours with both positive and negative aspects. There is much work being done to move forward in a positive way for both students and faculty.
Pros
Beautiful setting
Great Environment
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 30, 2018
The students and professors are great resources when you need help figuring something out. The research itself was very interesting and there are so much different types of research that takes place on campus. The campus is beautiful and everyone is respectable and nice.
Its okay
Cook (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 20, 2018
I've been trained in every position that they offer in the kitchen and I have yet to move up, The plus side is that I make much more than I am suppose to with my job title
Pros
Free lunches, yearly benefits, uniforms are provided
Cons
No room to grow, management doesn't care, favoritism
Fast-paced, requiring hands-on and personal study time
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 1, 2018
Advanced schooling, requiring studying each day with books as well as hands-on studying. Great professors, prepare each student to be a well-rounded physical therapist
Small university with big goals
Student Services (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 29, 2018
Chatham is a small university but is growing rapidly. Under recent new leadership, the overall morale of employees has improved dramatically. The issue is that there are still people from the "old regime" who probably need to go. But, a small school allows staff and faculty to really get to know students and feel like we're making a difference. Pay is better than some other local higher ed institutions, and health and other benefits are quite good. Work/life balance is great!
Great to Build World Skills During College!
Admissions Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 26, 2018
A typical day at work really focused on learning office skills and corresponding with new students to the university. Great way to gain skills between classes and allows you to get acquainted with different professionals on campus.
Great learning opportunities
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gibsonia, PAFebruary 22, 2018
I worked in the Aquaculture Laboratory and was constantly learning new trade skills as well as assisting in academic research. My job focused mainly on the day-to-day maintenance of three types of aquatic systems (Recirculating Aquaculture System, CHOP Aquaponic System, small-scale display and research aquariums).
Good place
RESEARCHER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 21, 2018
I loved every second there. It was a relaxed environment. I earned my masters there si it is always a special place for me. You feel like it is more like a family
Chatham
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 31, 2018
I was only adjunct faculty

Work place was a nice environment

Under compensation for the amount of work put in.

Enjoyable part was the flexible schedule.

Need to be full time to gain major benefits.
Positive Campus!
Assistant Women's Soccer Coach (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 3, 2017
Great environment to work and to grow as a professional. The high achievement and standards that have been set encourage a constant state of learning for both students and faculty alike.
Loved the kids and coaches. Hated the Athletic Department Culture
Head Softball Coach (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 21, 2017
Typical Work Day was there from 8am to 8pm or longer. Learned how poorly at NCAA D3 Athletic Program could be run.The overall Athletic Department was terrible. Terrible Philosophy, management and very poor morale from staff.
Pros
Players and Coaches
Cons
Dealing with ineptness everyday by athletic department
Summer Job
Adjunct Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 7, 2017
Summer job. Online courses made it easy to work around schedule. Students in course were not committed, nor motivated in comparison to other universities.
Easy going work place with friendly faces.
Desk attendant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 26, 2017
The place as well as the people are nice, the schedule was easy to deal with as are the responsibilities, the only complaint I have is lack of hours available to work
Pros
you choose lunch break time
Cons
can not stop working to eat
It was a good student job.
gate house worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 6, 2017
It was a good student job. My boss was very relaxed and it was a supportive environment. I was given great flexibility with the job. However, the pay was not great.
Not the best place to work, but college students need jobs
Various Jobs (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 23, 2017
They're college jobs, some are better than others but you're expendable and they expect unreasonable things at times. If you work for admissions, get ready to be over worked and undervalued. Since the co-ed undergraduate switch, upper management doesn't care much about the students - and with the increased enrollment means you're replaceable
Pros
If you live on campus, generally easy to commute.
Cons
You're expendable since they have high enrollment to find another person
Good Part time job
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 18, 2017
great work life balance, flexible hours, great staff and faculty. Ability to work from home if need be. Community atmosphere and a welcoming community with like-minded people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chatham University. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Chatham University Reviews by Location