Chautauqua Opportunities Inc Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Chautauqua Opportunities Inc.
Family & Community Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYMay 28, 2018
The best way to describe working for this company is: DO NOT WORK HERE.
Management creates a hostile environment.
Management is not truthful.
Training is not available in an adequate form.
This is supposed to be a non profit. However, In actuality it is a for Profit organization parading as doing good for the population suffering from poverty and crisis.
Pros
Cons
Working for this organization is the CON
It’s a trap.
Crisis Worker (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYApril 17, 2018
Crisis workers are ridiculously underpaid. $20 to be on call for the whole day, and then you have to drive an hour at 3AM and they pay you $4.00. No mileage compensation, nothing. Worst, most stressful job ever. Management for crisis team is a joke. Horrible.
Awesome
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYMay 25, 2017
I love working here. My clients love me and the are very respectful and kind. I'm getting more hours so I can't wait to up my hours. I love the staff and the clients​
Terrible place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYFebruary 27, 2017
Managers and staff are the work horses of the agency. 75% of your time is spent in meetings with Executive Director. You are expected to still be able to do your job. All the meetings make it pretty much impossible to do your job. Alot of work has to be taken home to complete. Executive Director undermines managers authority to do their jobs. Executive Director is a control freak. They let managers go and consolidate manager duties. You are expected to do the job of 3 managers. I worked 90 hours per week. There is no job security. When they lose grants you lose your job. Executive Director is impossible to please and work with. Do not work here unless you want to give your life and soul to this company. The stress level is the highest of any place i ever worked for in my entire life. Everyone is constantly worried about losing their jobs for not saying the right things or appeasing the Executive Director People will stab you in the back to keep their jobs.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Extremely stressful place to work. No job security
Progressive Human Services Provider
Director of Children and Family Services (Current Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYJanuary 15, 2017
Mission-driven organization focused on helping people move on a continuum out of the cycle of generational poverty. The organization focuses on empowerment of people receiving services and strength-based service options.
Pros
Flexible hours
Good learming experiance
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYNovember 24, 2016
This job is very fun educating each child with there different needs. Children a very diverse to each other . You learn new educating tips in different situations on how it is best to be approached and helpful.
Pros
Fun every day
Cons
low pay, limited supplies
Horrible Department to work for at Chautauqua Opportunities
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYOctober 30, 2016
The executive director is retiring and has a horrible attitude. The two co- chairs of the department have no clue about construction. They use the manager as a scape goat for any problems that arise. They hire workers from a temp agency to work on people's homes that can't even read a ruler much less weatherize your home. They are not trustworthy. They owe local businesses thousands of dollars and don't pay their bills. They have fired several managers for this position (5 in three yrs.) Management is not trustworthy and they definately DO NOT have any proticals to train employees and do not do so, at all. Warning,!! Do not work for this department if you are looking for stability.
Pros
Cons
Untrustworthy Management, Not a teamwork environment.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYNovember 14, 2015
The organization provides many programs for the public but they limit their hiring mostly to job applicants with degrees more than giving everyone an equal opportunity as long as they have the necessary skills and qualifications needed. They request a lot of an employee but are not very flexible with their employees and their needs.
Pros
Lots of employment
Cons
Do not give many applicants opportunities.
quality program
Child Development and Parenting Skills Education (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYFebruary 8, 2015
quality interactions with families and children
helpful child development strategies
knowledgeable and supportive management
documentation/paperwork
learning about diverse families and community resources
High stress but very rewarding job
Managed Care Educator (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYNovember 22, 2014
This was also a job that needed good organizational skills. I had to meet the demands of many who had true medical needs and needed help as soon as I could get it to them. Fitting in their need, such as keeping their own doctor and providing a doctor who spoke a different language sometimes was a challenge. And although I worked for COI, all my co workers were County workers so that could be a challenge as well. Sometimes people would irate out of frustration over their situation and I would have to remain calm to help them. But when I would help make it happen for some, they would be so appreciative and it would make it worth all the work.
Loved teaching children
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYNovember 26, 2013
Oversaw all aspects of teaching and staff in room. Responsible for daily lesson plans and activities. The other teachers were great to work with as well.
landscaping
Driver (Former Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYOctober 17, 2013
cutting grass and trimming bushes while also having to remodel the landscape of the property
Commendable Community Action Agency
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYOctober 10, 2013
Excellent organizational management systems in place. High demands of a non-profit/grant funded agency.
Opportunities to grow
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYJanuary 18, 2013
It was a cool place to work
I learned a lot about working with teens and young adults