CheckSmart Financial, LLC Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Compliance Investigator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 11, 2018
The management is uneducated as well as low in their thought process. They cannot keep procedures together. They change due to the procedures not working correctly for the department. They are not helpful for the employees. Micro managing takes place as well as belittling on a daily basis. They need more training as well as knowing how to get along with co-workers and staff. They need to understand the privacy of the co-workers. Human resources needs trained too. There needs to be a confidentiality clause.
Pros
Co-workers... The teamwork aspect.
Productive and consetrated
Customer Service - Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 5, 2018
It’s great working at checksmart because your learn a lots off things with money handling. The employees are responsible and always learning new things, also always interacting how to give a better customer service.
Pros
Meet monthly goals we will get free lunch !
Cons
Short breaks because it is busy locations.
Clean, Bright
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 25, 2018
A typical day at my job would be balancing/auditing the previous days paperwork, assisting customers, making and answering the calls.
Ive learned things can change very quickly and if you do not adapt quickly then you will be behind.
The management is quite fair, everyone is willing to help and give new ideas.
The workplace culture is competitive and always willing to add/change some things that will potentially make the business better.
The hardest part of my job is time management and adapting to the changes so often.
The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with my customers.
Pros
The experience you obtain working at the company
Cons
no overtime, short lunch breaks, not considerate
Only recommend if in high school
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHMay 21, 2018
Low Pay
They Test you randomly on phone and on person. If you fail your store manager gets in trouble.
Typical day you would count money, help with short and long term loans.
Management wasn't great she made the schedule to accommodate HER life schedule. She claim she could never work weekends. Westerville location wasn't great!
Pros
Free Lunch (once in a while)
Cons
short breaks, low pay, test phone calls
Work day
Manager (Current Employee) –  Niles, OHMay 18, 2018
Customer service and getting to know the same customers.
Learned alot about compliance.
Cash handling, cashing checks, balancing store, loans, collections calls is a normal day
Marketing store products
Pros
Incentives
Cons
No lunches
Good financial experiance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INApril 9, 2018
This job will help you understand loan laws and help you develop great counting, math, and logical reasoning skills. Writing loans are pretty easy once you get it down but check cashing is a bit harder and if you enjoy problem solving this is a great job. The pay isn't great but they promote within and pretty quickly too. This is an industry that is always changing so you have to be able to adapt pretty well and be okay with the rules changing every so often. Also you have to be mentally strong to deal with the fact that you are keeping people in debt with predatory loans allowances within the law. Not a bad job though if you are looking to break into the professional world.
Pros
you get to hold large quantities of money
Cons
stressful
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHApril 3, 2018
Poorly managed from an employee point of view. My manager had great motivational skills, however the supervisors were more interested in the dollar amount earned than keeping employees
Okay place
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 29, 2018
Has its good days and bad days, customers are awesome but management from above is terrible. Could definitely pay better for the amount of work required. It's like you work at a call center and a store front but only get paid for 1.
Productive and fun workplace
Branch Manager/Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZNovember 7, 2017
What I liked about this job is your always learning new things. Got along great with co-workers and we were always team players and enjoyed helping each other out.
Pros
Contest free lunch
Cons
Open most holidays
long hours with lack of direction
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHNovember 3, 2017
management makes rash decisions and then back tracks. This causes excessive extra hours of work which are then wasted. They live on drama, work employees to death, and could care less. They do have benefits, but they are expensive unless you are in management.
Very unfair
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 11, 2017
People have been working there for years and get paid less then people coming in

They don't know what they are doing they don't have any experience in the field they also make the employees salary and they should be hourly being that it's a help desk

Very racist
Pros
Lot of money if you know some one
Cons
Good job opens many doors to better opportunities
Teller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAAugust 3, 2017
Great place to learn responsibility work professionalism. Can set your career in a good direction while being able to maintain yourself and family. Need flexibility.
Pros
Easy to learn
Cons
Short breaks
Unprofessional and uncaring
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Findlay, OHMay 30, 2017
Managers are often under-qualified and unprofessional. District managers are also extremely unprofessional. Benefits are not comparable to other companies in same industry. Overly expensive health insurance, no paid holidays, no family time, no work life balance. Unreasonable sales expectations.
Pros
Easy work if you are good with customers
Cons
Poor benefits, no work/life balance, unprofessional management
health benefits, flexible schedule
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAFebruary 17, 2017
treating employees good, good benefits, incentives, quarterly bonuses. free training. opportunities for growth. Management classes. meetings and seminars
Pros
bonuses
Cons
far from home
Fun place to work
Collector (Former Employee) –  Pelham, ALJanuary 26, 2017
I enjoyed my job. Employee were nice, Collections is a very hard job so you have to keep yourself together. I enjoyed the classes that was given
Pros
Extra Management
Cons
Customer can get a little rude
okay
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJanuary 1, 2016
I learned veery many things at Checksmart Financial and I will take those things that I learned and apply them to my future jobs
Pros
nice co workers
I learned a lot
Customer Service /Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Maple Heights, OHSeptember 4, 2014
You learn safety procedure to open and closed the store. Safety and security are very important. You get the store and other tellers drawers ready to open for the day. During the day we would do small loans, cash checks, and answer all calls and questions asked. There were many steps to loans and check cashing and many rules and laws had to be followed. Collection calls were done through out the day and logs were kept. The tellers would also be responsible for handling any and all complaints in the store, when the manager was not available. This was not my favorite part of my job, but I was very good at it. We dealt with large amounts of cash daily for the larger loans and large checks. You were responsible for every penny in your drawer and in the store. The people made the day go by, customers and employees. Of course there wee the occasional bad apples the scattered through out my time at the company but I did have a great time.
Pros
Always changing schedule/ not a 9-5
Cons
No real advancement available
Good experience for anyone planning to work or major in accounting.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Richmond,VANovember 13, 2013
I appreciated the work experience that Check Smart offered, however because my heart is with servicing the community through means of healthcare, it was not the job for me.