Chegg logo
Happiness rating is 65 out of 100Average

Chegg Employee Reviews for Tutor

Chegg insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Supportive environment

Make your own hours !

Get to make your own hours. Work can be slow at times. When starting they limit the type of tasks you can do until you do a certain amount and gain seniority

Only great if you're corporate

If you're corporate, the company is probably pretty good. However, the people this company actually runs on, us lower folk, are horribly treated. Their tutors (while they had tutoring) are horribly underpaid, have actual work-life balance, no support, and are forced to work on a 1099 so that we have no actual workers rights, benefits, and get taxed at an insane rate. There were also several incidents where important changes had been made yet those most affected were never notified. Half of us weren't even notified that we'd lost our jobs when they suddenly shut down the tutoring department right before Christmas. Awful company.

Pros

Remote work

Cons

Everything else

Good side hustle

It’s a really good place to work. You can do it anytime time of the day. You also get to learn more about the subject you’re tutoring. Builds communication skills.

great

fantastic place to work at. management is great as well. You feel like you are a team and not just a number that is working within a large company. All in all, fantastic

Good but unstable

Hi all, you get a little money as a side gig, but it is a satisfying experience. The reason its a side gig is you never know wen opportunities come. There is too much competition,

Pros

Flexible Work Hours

Cons

Unstable

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Great for a side-gig, requires patience and wide availability

I've been a Chegg tutor for 4 years. Getting students can be a slow process at first, but gets better over time. Must be patient waiting for requests and having an open schedule will benefit you as you'll be open to more requests as well. Tech support has not been very helpful for me. Also, many students will ask you to complete work for them (don't do that) and if you decline, they will give you a bad review or are rude. Most of my lessons are not audio or video, they are text. Chegg lets you take on a lot of different subjects, which is nice. The income is not stable enough for this to be a full-time job for me, but I appreciate the little I get here and there. It's great to be able to work from home and do other tasks while you wait for requests. It was also super easy to be approved as a tutor.

Pros

Flexibility, work from home, easy set up for new tutors, many subjects

Cons

Tech support, rude students, can be competitive, instability

Limited work

There was limited jobs mostly physics and people just wanted you to do their work not actually tutor them. When you would tell them you will not do it they became hostile.

Pros

Very flexable hours and compensation

Cons

Not a diverse choice of topics

Mediocre

Working at Chegg is a hit or miss especially when starting off. They assess your potential as a tutor based on exams in random topics.When first trying to get students you are only allowed to do live sessions and written sessions are disabled until you satisfy some conditions.You need to be very fast at picking new opportunities because they evaporate in no time.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

hit or miss

Fun and flexible

Tutoring on Chegg is fun and rewarding. The hours are really up to the tutor and student availability, which maks working on my research and working on my PhD possible.

Work at Home

Chegg is the one of the best platform to earn a money for students who have low income.....this job is done in work from home....best way to earn by solving questions according to this guidelines....I recommend this platform platform for part time job to students....

Great Students, No Advancements

I love working for this company; however, there is no room for advancement, no matter how many years you work for them. They do give bonuses throughout the year, but not all the tutors always receive the bonuses. If they would offer some sort of pay advancement, even based on number of students or hours worked, this company would be great. In addition, there is no job security, so it is hard to depend on the income.

Good job for people who move around a lot

A good, decent job. Can work whenever you like. Opportunities every 5-10 minutes and depending on what people ask for you can decide to help them or not. Sometimes people don't put enough information to know whether or not you should help, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Great Hours and Flexible

You choose when you want to tutor, who you want to tutor, and over what subjects. Although sometimes hard to find students, there is many opportunities over time to accrue a range of repeat students and to make money.

Pros

Flexible, Make your own Hours

Cons

Not secure, No defined Hours

Fantastic (but unstable) side-gig

$20/hour is not bad, and building a customer base of students that trust you is personally fulfilling. Exam season provides competitive pay with rates raising to $60-$80/hour on some days, which is awesome. However, the “off-season” is particularly slow and you are not guaranteed tutoring opportunities even with high ratinfs

It's like you're not human

Chegg will not speak with their tutors. They will deactivate your account for being upset that you are being treated like you are not a person. I don't know how they have any tutors.

Homework factory.

This is a homework factory. Stay away from this company. You have to compete with other tutors to get a student. The pay is 20.00/hr which is not great for a tutor. Students will harass you as well if you dont meet their needs for their assignments.

Great work from home job very generous pay very flexible hours get paid once a week through Paypal. Very easy to get paid hundreds per week. I also really enjoyed helping the students.

yay

Students are working harder than ever before to stabilize their future. Our recent research study called State of the Student shows that nearly 3 out of 4 students are working to support themselves through college and 1 in 3 students feel pressure to spend more than they can afford. We founded our business on provided affordable textbook rental options to address these issues. Since then, we’ve expanded our offerings to supplement many facets of higher educational learning through Chegg Study, Chegg Math, and Chegg Internships and more to support students beyond their college experience. These offerings lower financial concerns for students by modernizing their learning experience. We exist so students everywhere have a smarter, faster, more affordable way to studen

Great Opportunity but lack of clients/students

a great opportunity, if there were more students to work with. I will schedule myself and wait for a student or opportunity to arise, yet very often there are little to no students needing help. I am hoping it changes when the school year picks up.

Chegg is a good start for any student looking to tutor

I love working for Chegg. I am able to log on whenever necessary and use their interface for tutoring return students as well as helping new students. The pay is exceptional.

Nice online stage for solving questions and to improve your knowledge. Also a very good stage for earning money while at it. This also help in understanding the subjects where you lack.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chegg. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Chegg.
Powered byComparably

Compare Chegg with

Career recommendations for Tutor

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
  • Chegg