Chegg
69Average

Chegg Employee Reviews for Tutor

Tutor55 reviews
I love working for this company; however, there is no room for advancement, no matter how many years you work for them. They do give bonuses throughout the year, but not all the tutors always receive the bonuses. If they would offer some sort of pay advancement, even based on number of students or hours worked, this company would be great. In addition, there is no job security, so it is hard to depend on the income.
A good, decent job. Can work whenever you like. Opportunities every 5-10 minutes and depending on what people ask for you can decide to help them or not. Sometimes people don't put enough information to know whether or not you should help, but it doesn't hurt to try.
You choose when you want to tutor, who you want to tutor, and over what subjects. Although sometimes hard to find students, there is many opportunities over time to accrue a range of repeat students and to make money.
Pros
Flexible, Make your own Hours
Cons
Not secure, No defined Hours
$20/hour is not bad, and building a customer base of students that trust you is personally fulfilling. Exam season provides competitive pay with rates raising to $60-$80/hour on some days, which is awesome. However, the “off-season” is particularly slow and you are not guaranteed tutoring opportunities even with high ratinfs
Chegg will not speak with their tutors. They will deactivate your account for being upset that you are being treated like you are not a person. I don't know how they have any tutors.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
This is a homework factory. Stay away from this company. You have to compete with other tutors to get a student. The pay is 20.00/hr which is not great for a tutor. Students will harass you as well if you dont meet their needs for their assignments.
Great work from home job very generous pay very flexible hours get paid once a week through Paypal. Very easy to get paid hundreds per week. I also really enjoyed helping the students.
Students are working harder than ever before to stabilize their future. Our recent research study called State of the Student shows that nearly 3 out of 4 students are working to support themselves through college and 1 in 3 students feel pressure to spend more than they can afford. We founded our business on provided affordable textbook rental options to address these issues. Since then, we’ve expanded our offerings to supplement many facets of higher educational learning through Chegg Study, Chegg Math, and Chegg Internships and more to support students beyond their college experience. These offerings lower financial concerns for students by modernizing their learning experience. We exist so students everywhere have a smarter, faster, more affordable way to studen
a great opportunity, if there were more students to work with. I will schedule myself and wait for a student or opportunity to arise, yet very often there are little to no students needing help. I am hoping it changes when the school year picks up.
I love working for Chegg. I am able to log on whenever necessary and use their interface for tutoring return students as well as helping new students. The pay is exceptional.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Chegg?
Nice online stage for solving questions and to improve your knowledge. Also a very good stage for earning money while at it. This also help in understanding the subjects where you lack.
Extremely flexible, a great part time job for college students. Only issue is that sometimes, students are not online and there can be nobody to tutor.
I was a high rated tutor on Chegg with 326 likes and only 8 dislikes. Obviously, a lot of students preferred to stick with me throughout the semester and depended on me.

When I started working part-time as an online tutor back in 2017, the management was quite supportive and always had the tutor's back in case the student was harrassing or trying to shortchange the tutor.

But from early 2019 onwards, there has been a major change in attitude of the support team. It's like we are slaves of the students completing 100% of their assignments instead of helping them out with majority and letting them review the commented code and completing it themselves.

Otherwise, lessons are downvoted and it cannot be reversed in majority of the cases. Then a warning comes along saying "The student was overcharged for the assignment" and then next day...BOOM...your account which had a 97%+ approval rate gets deactivated.

Which is why I mentioned the word "expendable" in the title. They do not care about their own tutors and refuse to provide exact details as to why the account was deactivated. Also, the "three warnings and you're out" policy is just plain silly in my opinion.

We tutors are not six sigma professionals and our clients often are college students strapped for money and will hound, harass and threaten to downvote in case we refuse to complete their assignment and be their slave.

In such a scenario I would recommend the "three strikes for life" be at least changed to "three strikes a year".

Also, re-appealing your deactivation is useless. They will send a final
 - more...
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Draconian Management, Tutors considered expendable, Low job security
I really enjoy working for chegg because it offers everything someone working from home looks for in a job. It boosts your self esteem and allows you to have a purpose.
Pros
Flexible hours. Good pay. Challenging work. And boosts self esteem.
Cons
Sometimes too challenging. Not enough hours available.
This is a great job if you like making a difference in the quality of students work! Flexible hours, you got to make your own schedule which helped while in college.
You do all your own tutoring for $20/hr. You can tutor whenever is convenient for you. If you have any issues with the website or reviews, you can contact Chegg and they will respond fairly quickly. Extremely helpful. Tutor a wide range of subjects. I wish the hourly rate was a little bit better but honestly not that big of a deal $20/hr is a fair rate. There is no compensation/benefits as you are basically a consulting business. There is no really advancement in the job. And as far as job security, it depends mostly on the amount of students using the service which also varies throughout the year. Good way to make side money though and strengthen your knowledge in old subjects.
Pros
Decent salary, extremely flexibile, responsive team, good customer base, and overall great job.
Cons
Not enough people on the platform, customers vary through the year, no job advancement.
My biggest strength is my ability to learn a piece of knowledge and then teach it effectively. This is why I was one of the highest paid tutors on the platform, nationally. I thrive in my ability to allow others to understand, and Chegg catered to that.
Pros
Independent
Cons
inconsistent
Chegg is a good place to solidify your own understanding of concepts taught in school by teaching others who may be struggling on similar concepts. However, with most students wanting you to just do their homework for them instead of learning the material, it becomes old pretty quickly with multiple instances of doing the same homework assignment for multiple people. Couple that with the fact that Chegg will always side with the client means that if the client felt like it, they could dispute the lesson and get their money refunded even though you completed the assignment for them.
Pros
hours
Cons
hard to earn money
Applying to be a tutor at Chegg was one of the best decisions I made while studying at college. The pay was more than sufficient for helping afford food and rent every month, and the fact that I could log in at any time meant there were zero conflicts with school work or any other obligations. Furthermore, it was fantastic teaching old stuff I had learned as a way to keep it fresh, while simultaneously honing my teaching and communication skills. Finally, it was very rewarding teaching other students and keeping up with them later on to hear how they were progressing.
Pros
Extremely flexible schedule, good compensation, rewarding work
Cons
Sparse hours, especially starting off
I enjoy being able to work when i want and where i want. It’s definately seasonal evasive of the summer break, but you have the ability to make more than enough weekly to give yourself a best egg for the summer
Pros
Work from home
Cons
College students that want a refund can say awful unjust things about you, but administration reviews such complaints and rectifieds it
Chegg has allowed me to work from home, which I need to do, making enough money to support my family each week. It is fast paced, and I am always busy when signed in. I currently make between $800 to $1000 a week; however, to make this amount of money, you need to be online a lot! During this weeks bonus week, I made well over $2500! This is truly an amazing place to work. I absolutely love the atmosphere, and I plan on staying for a long time to come!
Pros
Everything!
Cons
Sitting to wait on students
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chegg. Our community is ready to answer.
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Chegg.
Career recommendations for Tutor
Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more