Chegg Employee Reviews for Tutor

Fun job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, ILApril 7, 2019
You do all your own tutoring for $20/hr. You can tutor whenever is convenient for you. If you have any issues with the website or reviews, you can contact Chegg and they will respond fairly quickly. Extremely helpful. Tutor a wide range of subjects. I wish the hourly rate was a little bit better but honestly not that big of a deal $20/hr is a fair rate. There is no compensation/benefits as you are basically a consulting business. There is no really advancement in the job. And as far as job security, it depends mostly on the amount of students using the service which also varies throughout the year. Good way to make side money though and strengthen your knowledge in old subjects.
Pros
Decent salary, extremely flexibile, responsive team, good customer base, and overall great job.
Cons
Not enough people on the platform, customers vary through the year, no job advancement.
Independent Tutoring
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 27, 2019
My biggest strength is my ability to learn a piece of knowledge and then teach it effectively. This is why I was one of the highest paid tutors on the platform, nationally. I thrive in my ability to allow others to understand, and Chegg catered to that.
Pros
Independent
Cons
inconsistent
Good for students to make a quick buck while further studying related material
Online Tutor (Former Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 13, 2019
Chegg is a good place to solidify your own understanding of concepts taught in school by teaching others who may be struggling on similar concepts. However, with most students wanting you to just do their homework for them instead of learning the material, it becomes old pretty quickly with multiple instances of doing the same homework assignment for multiple people. Couple that with the fact that Chegg will always side with the client means that if the client felt like it, they could dispute the lesson and get their money refunded even though you completed the assignment for them.
Pros
hours
Cons
hard to earn money
Great job for university students
Online Tutor (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJanuary 7, 2019
Applying to be a tutor at Chegg was one of the best decisions I made while studying at college. The pay was more than sufficient for helping afford food and rent every month, and the fact that I could log in at any time meant there were zero conflicts with school work or any other obligations. Furthermore, it was fantastic teaching old stuff I had learned as a way to keep it fresh, while simultaneously honing my teaching and communication skills. Finally, it was very rewarding teaching other students and keeping up with them later on to hear how they were progressing.
Pros
Extremely flexible schedule, good compensation, rewarding work
Cons
Sparse hours, especially starting off
Remote tutoring position
College Level Tutor (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 6, 2019
I enjoy being able to work when i want and where i want. It’s definately seasonal evasive of the summer break, but you have the ability to make more than enough weekly to give yourself a best egg for the summer
Pros
Work from home
Cons
College students that want a refund can say awful unjust things about you, but administration reviews such complaints and rectifieds it
Chegg is an Amazing Company!
Online Tutor (Current Employee) –  OnlineDecember 12, 2018
Chegg has allowed me to work from home, which I need to do, making enough money to support my family each week. It is fast paced, and I am always busy when signed in. I currently make between $800 to $1000 a week; however, to make this amount of money, you need to be online a lot! During this weeks bonus week, I made well over $2500! This is truly an amazing place to work. I absolutely love the atmosphere, and I plan on staying for a long time to come!
Pros
Everything!
Cons
Sitting to wait on students
Great working with students from various backgrounds and disciplines.
Online Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2018
I enjoy working with students from all disciplines and helping them shape their ideas into essays that will inspire audiences. If I can help just one student, even if it's with grammar usage, I feel like I have done my job.
They Consider EVERYTHING A TOS Violation
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  OnlineSeptember 12, 2018
You will likely get fed up by the lack of work, lack of decent pay, high requirements, lying and quite frankly rude staff, fraudulent practices and end up going elsewhere. Avoid this company at all costs….
Pros
good hourly rate
Cons
worst company I've ever worked for
This is a HORRIBLE company to work for!
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  OnlineSeptember 10, 2018
I was a tutor with them for almost half a year and they suspended my account for alleged TOS violations, but in reality it occurred one day after I refused an optional background check. I don't believe in coincidences. I was a top rated tutor but they claim my low feedback was a reason I was terminated. However, I had 41-4 positive-negative ratings, which is an overall 91% satisfactory score. When I asked for an explanation they told me not to contact them anymore and the decision was final. How can you treat workers like that and expect to be a successful company?
Pros
the pay is a fixed rate
Cons
no opportunities for advancement, abusive management, ignore emails and no phone number for support
They terminate you at any time for no clear reason
tutor (Former Employee) –  OnlineAugust 27, 2018
Received no warning after being a top rated tutor, my account was just terminated, sent an email asking why and was told not to contact them anymore, they also have no phone support, keep in mind I was working with them over 4 months with no issues, this company is a joke, they claim I violated the TOS for helping a student complete a paper and having low feedback but I was top rated with 41 positive ratings, they said no further explanation will be given. Who wants to work for a company like that anyways? Reached out to the CEO and received no response, absolutely pathetic. Don't waste your time with this company.
Pros
good pay
Cons
very unstable, poor management
New Experience
Online Tutor (Current Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDMarch 31, 2018
It's quite a challenge. Students need help in all types of majors you get to pick yourself. You get for every lesson you do. You can submit written work for free. Otherwise I don't mind. Most student request a written up then live session with me. It's okay.
Pros
Learning exerience
Cons
Don't get paid for written lessons all the time
Great
Test Prep Blogger (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 30, 2018
It was a great job because there are flexible hours, you don't have to be consistent with your time commitment and it was something that you could do from the comfort of your own home.
w oeqp
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 25, 2018
woks eke;lw kcal a[ epq[ yes this is a good place a solid five out of seven and yes thats actually a good score if you weren't aware. I am quite tired rn.
Low Stress and In theory, a good way to get involved in tutoring kids from all over, but the site is way too flooded with instructors.
Online Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMarch 9, 2018
This online service is a great addition for students not only to rent books, but receive instruction for their subjects. However, there are few oppurtunities for the instructors to get lessons because of either the lack of students or the vast amount of tutors online flooding the site.
Pros
Compensation and Flexibility
Cons
Opportunities and Legitamacy of Students
Make my own schedule
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 23, 2018
I make my own schedule and tutor students when it works for both of us. I tutor nursing students, medical students, undergraduate students and high school students.
Great
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 17, 2018
Good place to work at and the review team was quite fair in their decision making. I would recommend to a friend and was paid well for my time. Clients were not always the most understanding
Great!
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 17, 2018
Just started and I’ve got the students calling me sir. I’m only 24 haha. Anyway it’s great, you get to help appreciative students, get paid a lot, and work from home. How can you beat that!?
Pros
Money, Appreciation
Cons
Need more hours to tutor. Or more money per hour.
Positive, but
Online Tutor (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA(Cleveland, OH)December 28, 2017
Work as an online tutor from home. It was nice to make decent money at times, without leaving home.Working with different students was always a challenge.
Pros
convenience
Cons
The student-tutor ratio
A good temporary job, or if you need a non-intrusive second job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Concord, CANovember 11, 2017
Fun to work with students and by design it's great if you need a flexible schedule, best mixed with a second job or a difficult university schedule. However hours can be very unpredictable, only Sundays are "busy", other days can have entirely random schedules.
Pros
Remote work, flexible.
Cons
Pay can be unpredictable, benefits are also unpredictable.
Decent Side Hustle
Online Tutor (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAOctober 26, 2017
Tutoring online for chegg is basically a good side hustle. No, you probably won't make enough to pay your car note or mortgage but you can probably get a light bill or gas paid if tutoring during the school year. It is a good position for college students who need extra cash.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chegg. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Chegg.

Powered by Comparably