Chegg
Happiness rating is 64 out of 100

Chegg

Chegg Tutor Review

Tutors are Expendable !

I was a high rated tutor on Chegg with 326 likes and only 8 dislikes. Obviously, a lot of students preferred to stick with me throughout the semester and depended on me. When I started working part-time as an online tutor back in 2017, the management was quite supportive and always had the tutor's back in case the student was harrassing or trying to shortchange the tutor. But from early 2019 onwards, there has been a major change in attitude of the support team. It's like we are slaves of the students completing 100% of their assignments instead of helping them out with majority and letting them review the commented code and completing it themselves. Otherwise, lessons are downvoted and it cannot be reversed in majority of the cases. Then a warning comes along saying "The student was overcharged for the assignment" and then next day...BOOM...your account which had a 97%+ approval rate gets deactivated. Which is why I mentioned the word "expendable" in the title. They do not care about their own tutors and refuse to provide exact details as to why the account was deactivated. Also, the "three warnings and you're out" policy is just plain silly in my opinion. We tutors are not six sigma professionals and our clients often are college students strapped for money and will hound, harass and threaten to downvote in case we refuse to complete their assignment and be their slave. In such a scenario I would recommend the "three strikes for life" be at least changed to "three strikes a year". Also, re-appealing your deactivation is useless. They will send a final -

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Draconian Management, Tutors considered expendable, Low job security

5.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Same role

It was completely flexible. Work when you felt like it.

At finals times the rates would go to as high as $40 an hour. However, that stopped towards the end. Either way, I was overqualified, underpaid, and unimpressed.
Same role

Terrible company that got rid of tutoring service.

Chegg does not treat the employees with ethics and got rid of the tutoring service and let everyone go. DO NOT WORK HERE. UNETHICAL! They don't have enough work as well.

Liked it

Was a tutor here and I loved it. Great balance. It was awful that they shut down.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chegg. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

60%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

60%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Chegg with

• Chegg
  • Tutors are Expendable !