Chegg logo
Chegg
Happiness rating is 65 out of 100Average

Chegg

Chegg Employee Review

Chegg Tutor Review - Tutors are Expendable !

I was a high rated tutor on Chegg with 326 likes and only 8 dislikes. Obviously, a lot of students preferred to stick with me throughout the semester and depended on me. When I started working part-time as an online tutor back in 2017, the management was quite supportive and always had the tutor's back in case the student was harrassing or trying to shortchange the tutor. But from early 2019 onwards, there has been a major change in attitude of the support team. It's like we are slaves of the students completing 100% of their assignments instead of helping them out with majority and letting them review the commented code and completing it themselves. Otherwise, lessons are downvoted and it cannot be reversed in majority of the cases. Then a warning comes along saying "The student was overcharged for the assignment" and then next day...BOOM...your account which had a 97%+ approval rate gets deactivated. Which is why I mentioned the word "expendable" in the title. They do not care about their own tutors and refuse to provide exact details as to why the account was deactivated. Also, the "three warnings and you're out" policy is just plain silly in my opinion. We tutors are not six sigma professionals and our clients often are college students strapped for money and will hound, harass and threaten to downvote in case we refuse to complete their assignment and be their slave. In such a scenario I would recommend the "three strikes for life" be at least changed to "three strikes a year". Also, re-appealing your deactivation is useless. They will send a final -

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Draconian Management, Tutors considered expendable, Low job security

Make your own hours !

Get to make your own hours. Work can be slow at times. When starting they limit the type of tasks you can do until you do a certain amount and gain seniority
Same role

Only great if you're corporate

If you're corporate, the company is probably pretty good. However, the people this company actually runs on, us lower folk, are horribly treated. Their tutors (while they had tutoring) are horribly underpaid, have actual work-life balance, no support, and are forced to work on a 1099 so that we have no actual workers rights, benefits, and get taxed at an insane rate. There were also several incidents where important changes had been made yet those most affected were never notified. Half of us weren't even notified that we'd lost our jobs when they suddenly shut down the tutoring department right before Christmas. Awful company.

Pros

Remote work

Cons

Everything else

Good side hustle

It’s a really good place to work. You can do it anytime time of the day. You also get to learn more about the subject you’re tutoring. Builds communication skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chegg. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Chegg with

• Chegg
  • Tutors are Expendable !