Chegg
69Average
Chegg Employee Review

Tutors are Expendable !

June 20, 2019
I was a high rated tutor on Chegg with 326 likes and only 8 dislikes. Obviously, a lot of students preferred to stick with me throughout the semester and depended on me.

When I started working part-time as an online tutor back in 2017, the management was quite supportive and always had the tutor's back in case the student was harrassing or trying to shortchange the tutor.

But from early 2019 onwards, there has been a major change in attitude of the support team. It's like we are slaves of the students completing 100% of their assignments instead of helping them out with majority and letting them review the commented code and completing it themselves.

Otherwise, lessons are downvoted and it cannot be reversed in majority of the cases. Then a warning comes along saying "The student was overcharged for the assignment" and then next day...BOOM...your account which had a 97%+ approval rate gets deactivated.

Which is why I mentioned the word "expendable" in the title. They do not care about their own tutors and refuse to provide exact details as to why the account was deactivated. Also, the "three warnings and you're out" policy is just plain silly in my opinion.

We tutors are not six sigma professionals and our clients often are college students strapped for money and will hound, harass and threaten to downvote in case we refuse to complete their assignment and be their slave.

In such a scenario I would recommend the "three strikes for life" be at least changed to "three strikes a year".

Also, re-appealing your deactivation is useless. They will send a final
 - more...
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Draconian Management, Tutors considered expendable, Low job security
June 4, 2020
I love working for this company; however, there is no room for advancement, no matter how many years you work for them. They do give bonuses throughout the year, but not all the tutors always receive the bonuses. If they would offer some sort of pay advancement, even based on number of students or hours worked, this company would be great. In addition, there is no job security, so it is hard to depend on the income.
May 17, 2020
A good, decent job. Can work whenever you like. Opportunities every 5-10 minutes and depending on what people ask for you can decide to help them or not. Sometimes people don't put enough information to know whether or not you should help, but it doesn't hurt to try.
March 21, 2020
Same role
Tutor (Former Employee) - Online
You choose when you want to tutor, who you want to tutor, and over what subjects. Although sometimes hard to find students, there is many opportunities over time to accrue a range of repeat students and to make money.
Pros
Flexible, Make your own Hours
Cons
Not secure, No defined Hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chegg. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.4Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
3.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight