Chegg

Working at Chegg: Employee Reviews

United States144 reviews

Chegg insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • Supportive environment

Good culture, not great manager

Chegg is a great company and the folks I worked with were great. It was challenging only because of the manager I worked with. It wasn't a fit and with remote work, it was challenging to connect with folks in a meaningful way.

Pros

People and warm folks when going through onboarding

Cons

poor manager and poor L&D support

Fun and flexible

Tutoring on Chegg is fun and rewarding. The hours are really up to the tutor and student availability, which maks working on my research and working on my PhD possible.

Great Students, No Advancements

I love working for this company; however, there is no room for advancement, no matter how many years you work for them. They do give bonuses throughout the year, but not all the tutors always receive the bonuses. If they would offer some sort of pay advancement, even based on number of students or hours worked, this company would be great. In addition, there is no job security, so it is hard to depend on the income.

Good job for people who move around a lot

A good, decent job. Can work whenever you like. Opportunities every 5-10 minutes and depending on what people ask for you can decide to help them or not. Sometimes people don't put enough information to know whether or not you should help, but it doesn't hurt to try.

best workplace to work with.It is a platform where you earn on the basis of your knowledge.The amount paid is also good.Most time consuming during odd hours

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Great people, great opprotunities

Chegg was a great place to work. Everyone was very open about helping & fixing the issues. Over the years the work life balance has slowly gotten worse.

Exciting and supportive place to work

I felt supported by my engineering team. As an intern, things can feel overwhelming as there's a large existing codebase that you're not familiar with. I had weekly 1-1 meetings with my manager which was great.

Great Hours and Flexible

You choose when you want to tutor, who you want to tutor, and over what subjects. Although sometimes hard to find students, there is many opportunities over time to accrue a range of repeat students and to make money.

Pros

Flexible, Make your own Hours

Cons

Not secure, No defined Hours

Some nice people

I worked there for a while and the they held my checks and were rude and so I got my checks and quit the people were 50 50 nice and rude the pay was good when I worked there

Pros

Some nice people

Cons

Almost everything else

Fantastic (but unstable) side-gig

$20/hour is not bad, and building a customer base of students that trust you is personally fulfilling. Exam season provides competitive pay with rates raising to $60-$80/hour on some days, which is awesome. However, the “off-season” is particularly slow and you are not guaranteed tutoring opportunities even with high ratinfs

Not the best job at the time

Not the best experience in the Louisville facility. There were lots of safety violations that no one wanted to address (like book shelves not bolted to the ground), no use of gloves when using box cutters to open boxes, no safety, no safety awareness program ). When the issues were addressed upper management simply ignored it Just not a good company to work for

Homework factory.

This is a homework factory. Stay away from this company. You have to compete with other tutors to get a student. The pay is 20.00/hr which is not great for a tutor. Students will harass you as well if you dont meet their needs for their assignments.

Time consuming job, not worth the pay

I was assigned a textbook and problems to solve and explain step-by-step. The individual jobs were excessively time consuming and when calculated out you were making very little money for the amount of time put into the job.

Nice place to work

Great place to work with good work like balance. Company has been nominated as best place to work for working parents. Excellent facility in Santa Clara.

Good

This company is a very chill and laid back job. The environment was always nice and peaceful but at times stressful. The employees were always such a joy to work with.

Great work from home job very generous pay very flexible hours get paid once a week through Paypal. Very easy to get paid hundreds per week. I also really enjoyed helping the students.

yay

Students are working harder than ever before to stabilize their future. Our recent research study called State of the Student shows that nearly 3 out of 4 students are working to support themselves through college and 1 in 3 students feel pressure to spend more than they can afford. We founded our business on provided affordable textbook rental options to address these issues. Since then, we’ve expanded our offerings to supplement many facets of higher educational learning through Chegg Study, Chegg Math, and Chegg Internships and more to support students beyond their college experience. These offerings lower financial concerns for students by modernizing their learning experience. We exist so students everywhere have a smarter, faster, more affordable way to studen

Great Brand

I really enjoy working for chegg because it offers everything someone looks for in a job. It boosts your self esteem and allows you to have a purpose. Pros Flexible hours. Good pay. Challenging work. And boosts self esteem. Cons Sometimes too challenging. Not enough hours available.

Great Opportunity but lack of clients/students

a great opportunity, if there were more students to work with. I will schedule myself and wait for a student or opportunity to arise, yet very often there are little to no students needing help. I am hoping it changes when the school year picks up.

Great people, great opportunities

Chegg is a great place to work. Good challenges & good people. Everyone was very committed to helping students. You could talk with anyone & everyone was very open to helping if you had problems. Unfortunately over the years the work life balance has slowly gotten worse. And now it seems like there is an unwritten rule that you should be available after work hours & on weekends.

Chegg is a good start for any student looking to tutor

I love working for Chegg. I am able to log on whenever necessary and use their interface for tutoring return students as well as helping new students. The pay is exceptional.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chegg. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Chegg.
Powered byComparably