Cherokee Nation Businesses
66Average

Cherokee Nation Businesses Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA8 reviews
great offsite manager, employees on job site powerless.
Cherokee is a caring group of people, nice benefits, with an excellent offsite manager who met with us weekly and daily by phone, but was was powerless to keep employees from being canned on job site by ruthless fed. Sad.
I'll miss Cherokee!
Pros
Caring company.
Cons
They couldn't switch out the fed "PoC".
Average contract assignment
Con: The contract was not extended (beyond the basic five years).
Pro: Jobsite - location, flexible work schedule, salary, benefits and (previous) co-workers.
Poor vison and leaderhip
Was brought aboard to develop large IDIQ relationships that Cherokee wanted to subcontract on. Once this was done they took the relationships and subcontract(s) and let me go. Found out that bonuses are being paid in November. How convenient 3 weeks after the vetting process was done. Leadership puts their friends in positions that have critical customer facing to the govt with little to no experience based on looks. Was actually told by my manager to let "them" 2 attractive ladies do their thing, it is what it is when being the face of the State Dept relationship. Rolled up to a manger locally but had a Director from out of state telling me what to do with little understanding of what I was doing. Many times the leadership wouldn't know what was happening even when detailed notes were placed in salesforce (SF). Was told to put my activity in SF but only a couple of us were held to this rule. Again, if you are in the circle then you have your own rules. Deals were killed when partners brought them to the table and when asked if we could do the work without the partner and the answer was no the out of town Director would kill the opportunity. On more than one occasion the work was directly awarded to other tribes within the govt industry. LLC's do not communicate and often fight on opportunity ownership. Some nice people work there but have the same complaints but need the job. Run fast unless you need a job, protect your contacts and watch for the shady request when teaming on projects with your contacts!
Management and HR Don't Communicate
Typical work day, depending on your client. Don't become sick, no support, had to find your own backup.

The only thing consistent are the paychecks. Lack of communication was consistently inconsistent.
Environment Needs Improvement
Depending upon which area you work in, the positions can be rewarding or extremely frustrating. Micro-management is getting worse and worse. Work flexibility is ok however there are times that leaders act as if their hair is on fire and they create mountains out of mole hills. Pervasive blame games and leaders who do not lead by example is common. Some leaders don't take accountability and are in a constant state of CYA. Environment is becoming toxic in some, but not all work areas.
Pros
Core work hours
Cons
Micro management
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Review of the review
Company does a lot of community service for the Nation.

If you have a clearance review, then please check the status regularly for it may not be maintained.
Pros
Hiring
Cons
Maintanance of security clearance
Good advancements/ Bad job security
Working with Cherokee Nation Businesses was pretty good. However, the job security is very bad and the turnover rate is very high. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone who is looking for a more stable job, as it is contract work and very unpredictable.
Pros
All federal holidays off and occasional telework
Cons
bad job security/ high turnover rate
Fast-paced work-place with diverse tasks including travel to Kabul, Afghanistan
Cartography, Geography, GIS, Videoconferences, Translations, Travel to Afghanistan