Chesapeake Public Schools Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Good place to work if you only need a second income
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 15, 2018
A bus driver position is only part time and so if your only using this as a second income this job is perfect. It is fun and interesting at the same time. The enjoyable part of this job is the children and the hardest part is the poor management at times.
Pros
It's a great job for a mother who wants to be home for her children
Cons
It is only part time.
Never a dull moment
Special Education Teacher, Program Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 15, 2018
I teach 7th grade History (SPED) and really enjoy my team and the content. Overall, the biggest incentive is the Wellness Center. My diabetic husband receives all of his meds for free! Healthcare for a family is expensive but the Wellness Center makes it worthwhile.
Challenging
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VA Deep Creek HighJanuary 9, 2018
I enjoy work with company that will promote me . Give employee fair chance in the workplace. Promote within the company Competitive and challenging .
School
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 18, 2017
I enjoy this very much. i love teaching but they dont offer a program to make us teachers permanently. the process of getting a gig is difficult and the kids dont like subs to well but I still like doing it.
On-Call only
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 1, 2017
I held this position as substitute teacher until I found a permanent position. I did enjoy working with the students and working with the different personalities. Since, I am a social worker, this position allowed me to see if working with children could possibly be an area of interest in the social work field.
Pros
Working with the students
Cons
No stability
Excellent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 22, 2017
Chesapeake Public Schools is an excellent place to work. It has a family feel and people are kind and genuinely care about you as an employee and about the students and community they serve.
I loved working outside.
Groundskeeper/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 18, 2017
Although I was not happy with the management I did enjoy the friendships I made working for the department. They also offer a great benefits package. I liked the freedom of working outside,
No compensations or benefits or job security in the public school part time as a substitute teacher.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 15, 2017
A typical day as a substitute teacher and a enjoyable part of the job, was working with approx.. 20 children as they prepared themselves for their furture in the elementary, middle and high schools from 7:30 am until 3:30 pm.
Workplace
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Great Bridge BlvdNovember 9, 2017
Just say: too many Indians not enough chiefs! The staff at transportation was very rude to the drivers. There were never enough drivers on their buses. Always the same drivers were always taking off on mondays and / or Fridays and nothing was done about it. Because of how we were treated and talked to, drivers were always quitting like myself.
Pros
Goods benefits
Cons
Poor / rude staffing
Great District
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VANovember 4, 2017
I would highly recommend this district to anyone. They have a great educational philosophy and a true desire to help their employees. The pay is very competitive and the benefits are the best.
Its a wonderful place to work but lacks a much needed pay raise.
Paraprofessional Special Education (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 17, 2017
Chesapeake Public Schools is a wonderful place to work but the pay is not worthy the hard work you do with the students. I feel as if you work hard but don't benefit the pay with a 4 yer degree.
Part time employee
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 12, 2017
Good, I enjoyed working for them but, was a substitute teacher so, did not get enough hours. Nice environment and friendly staff . Would recommend working for them.
Pros
Hours/ Summer off
Cons
Not enough hours
Excellent organization to work for.
Coordinator, ERC (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 3, 2017
Enjoyable place to work. Fair schedule. Educated group of employees who were encouraged to make the school environment the best possible one for students.
I enjoyed working in the classroom setting.
Sixth Grade Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 20, 2017
Taught 6th grade students with special needs in an inclusion and self-contained settings. The leadership team was awesome and the teachers were great to work with.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
None at this time.
Good safe fun place to work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 17, 2017
Most days I enjoyed and looked forward to going to work. The schools that I chose to work in were good, safe, fun working environments. The Principal really determines the work climate, culture and pace.
Loved working with the kids.
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 17, 2017
The school system it great. They provide leave for staff. They also provide different trainings for staff. The school system also has retirement for the employees.
Pros
V.R.S, sick leave
Cons
No cons
Rewarding job.
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 23, 2017
Working with children with special needs was very rewarding for me and I loved every minute of it. You don't always get paid what you are worth though.
Pros
All holidays off and paid sick days.
Cons
low pay
Great Company/Wrong Timing
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 15, 2017
Awesome job and company.it was just a miscommunication of how old my then youngest child had to be to ride while I work,Since day care is not something I choose to use.
Pros
Breaks when kids were out of school, No day care was Required
Cons
Children had to be two years old to ride
My favorite job
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Deep Creek ElementaryAugust 15, 2017
I absolutely enjoyed my job. I had a family emergency and had to resign, other than that I would have still been employed there, I love working with the younger students.
Pros
love the holidays, the hours, the joy it gave me. I just loved everything about my last positon with the system
Cons
I really can't think of anything.
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 15, 2017
It is a great place to work. It is a very well balanced work environment for individuals that look to advance. The staff are great people to work with and for.