Chesterbrook Academy Employee Reviews

Fast-Paced and Exciting Environment for Growth
Assistant Pre-K Teacher, Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VAMarch 11, 2019
Chesterbrook Academy provides a great workplace culture where employees are adaptable and personable. These are important character traits for a Pre-School Teacher to have, as watching and caring for many small children is no easy task. The most fun I've ever had at a job.
Pros
Help children learn and grow, fun, refreshing
Hardest Part of the Job
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Ashburn, VAFebruary 26, 2019
While working here, I gave my all and did everything plus that they wanted me to and never got the recognition for it. I not only completed the work for my classroom but, helped with front desk tasks and covered for teachers who were gone for months on end. I got special certifications and learned to drive the bus without gaining the extra compensation for what I was doing.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Stressful environment, For Profit Company
Great coworkers that really care about teaching small kids
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAFebruary 25, 2019
If you are looking for a mundane job that’s predictable from day to day, then this field is not for you! I really loved working at Chesterbrook and only left because my family relocated. The staff was great, administration was supportive and the curriculum is really easy to follow, especially if you don’t have a lot of lesson planning experience.
My favorite parent of the job was the families, the staff and the support from the onsite administration (the off site supervisors weren’t great, but they rarely come around and when they do they are in and out). The directors juggle a lot of balls, but are supportive of the staff.
My least favorite part was the amount of PTO, but they were very flexible when time was needed.
Don’t let negative reviews sway your decision. Meet with the Directors and visit the school, then you can make your own educated decision. The staff and the families are the best. A lot of these reviews are from “former employees” who were probably fired.
Pros
Great staff and director support
Stepping stone kind of job.
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAFebruary 3, 2019
Malvern, PA location:
-Higher ups in this company are selfish and do not support principals, which creates a trickle down effect. If principals aren't getting the necessary support, it leads to overworked and unsupported teachers.
-Chesterbrook advertises for flexible scheduling and its untrue. For the first year you work there, you only get 5 days off and they're all unpaid.
-Understaffed is an understatement
-Breaks get cut short if the administration is behind on their daily tasks
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
Understaffed, no teacher support, non-flexible scheduling
Good
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILFebruary 3, 2019
They expected you to do a lot but did not give you a lot of time to do it. You had to spend a lot of your own time doing work. My workplace had a great culture.
Low moral and stressful work conditions
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAJanuary 31, 2019
The children and the parents are wonderful and the teachers truly care for their students, but Chesterbrook is more interested in the optics, than they are the students or the teachers. There is no paid leave until after a year of employment and if you call off sick, which is unpaid, you must provide a doctors note. You can also be written up if you call off and have time deducted from what you earn for the following year. They are so short staffed you can't even go to the bathroom until your break. They care more about appearances than they do any student or teacher. Rude notes and unappealing tones are used when they send out notes to the staff and staff meetings are nothing more than a session to tell everyone what they do wrong and what will happen if things continue. There is no positive feedback at all. They also promise you things, then never deliver.
Staff are constantly leaving and they may want to investigate why that occurs.

I was on an approved medical leave over the holidays. I heard my parents left Christmas gifts for me so I contacted my principal. I never heard back, so I contacted HR and again never heard back. I felt if the gifts were not given to me, the person intended to have them by my parents,they should be returned to the parents. I asked if I should pick them up, or if they were properly returned to the parents and never heard back. I was told the gifts were collected by management. If they intended to give them back to the parent, they should have told them I was on a medical leave and they may want to hold onto them until I return. I
  more... did resign prior to my return date and I do wonder if they did the right thing with the gifts. Why collect them if you didn't intend to give them to the person they were intended for? What did happen and why could no one take the time to respond? Seems bit unethical. They were stressed due to lack of staff and all the resignations, but again, look into why so many resign.

If you love children and truly want to work with them, don't do it at Chesterbrook Academy. They won't value you or your contributions.
Pros
The children and parents
Cons
No bathroom breaks or paid leave until after a year of employment. Extremely short staffed
Really enjoy CBA
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VA 20165January 30, 2019
I really enjoy CBA and its community. Everyone helps everyone, management is very reasonable and considerate. I really like how they took my preferences of classroom choice into consideration and didn't force me to be in a class I wasn't strong in.
Great Coworkers, tough schedule, little consistency
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 21, 2019
I was rarely in the class I was hired for, the school was very understaffed. Great colleagues, wonderful families, and flexibility to be creative with lesson planning.
Very very stressful job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAJanuary 16, 2019
Worst and worst experience in Chesterbrook Herndon. Lack of respect and lack of professionalism . Never recommend to anyone. Its veru hectic job working with staff as well as boss .
Would make us clock out but continue working
Lead Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Denver, NCJanuary 13, 2019
No overtime pay but they would make us clock out and then go back and finish whatever work was needed. Unlawful reported them to NCDL couldn’t prove my case.
Stressful
Lead Teacher/ Third in Charge (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VADecember 25, 2018
I left Chesterbrook due to relocating for my husbands job. The manager at the time was wonderful and the best boss I've had the privilege to work for, but she is gone now also. High turn over with staff, the higher ups didn't seem to care about the staff members. There was little to no childcare discount for staff members and alot of staff weren't trained properly or just didn't care for one another. A lot I'm sure has changed since I've been there but the work environment was hectic.
Pros
Enjoyed by boss and co-teacher at the time
Cons
no childcare discount
Fast paced
Lead Prekindergarten Teacher (Current Employee) –  Shorewood, ILDecember 9, 2018
You're always on the move and have to think on your feet. The families are very friendly and supportive. I learned more about my career and was offered professional development.
Not a good place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILNovember 27, 2018
I hated working here, I would dread going to work each day, the employees here were so unprofessional and acted like middle school girls. There was so much drama and bad talking between them, the management clearly had favorites and let those do what ever they wanted. The people there do not care about the kids, they do the bare minimum to even take care of them. They will leave the room to socialize, leaving the other employees in the room over ratio. I would never trust these women with my child, they would not be taken care for and come back with worse behaviors. The workers do not discipline well at all are overall just not taking care of the children anywhere close to how they should. The kids are great, but the work environment and how I was treated was a joke.
Pros
Great kids
Cons
Horrible work environment
Lead Infant Room Teacher (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILNovember 20, 2018
The management team at this location is very passive aggressive and it's nearly possible to get through to them. This behavior causes low employee moral.
Financials
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILNovember 20, 2018
This company is so hard driven to make a dollar that it compromises the moral and abilities of their teachers to develop their students. The only thing that they care about is tours and enrolling more students and that adds to the stress of the already over-worked teachers.
Pros
Work hours
Cons
Mismanaged
Stressful Child Care Position
Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PANovember 6, 2018
Working at Chesterbrook Academy is a unique learning experience. A typical day is very hectic as there is often not enough staff working in the building. While management can be understanding when it comes to personal issues it often feels as though they do not care about their staff or the children under their care. It is not uncommon to be asked to come into work when you are extremely ill. The hardest part of the job is feeling undervalued and overworked. The best part of this job is the children and the families.
Ok job
Cook (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 28, 2018
Order, inventory control,serve meals, plan menu. It is not a hard job at all. Most of the people are cool, no advancement. Laid back planning a menu following a budget and meeting all the families
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
No pay raises or benefits
Too much expectation for such little pay
Teacher - Pre-Kindergarten (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 14, 2018
I liked the people that I worked with, the teachers, staff, and admins were great. BUT I did everything a teacher (K-6) does and got paid like I worked at McDonald's.
Pros
People
Cons
Expected to do Parent/Teacher conferences, report cards, lesson plans, curriculum planning, etc. Not compensated for this level of work
Early Childhood Education Company
Employee (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 9, 2018
Chesterbrook Academy is a typical Early Childhood Education Company that strives to be better than the rest but has to deal with growth and decline like the rest.
Childcare Facility
ASSISTANT TEACHER/AFTER SCHOOL LEAD (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FL 34987October 8, 2018
Chesterbrook provided a stable working environment and competitive salaries for child care workers. For a childcare facility, this one provided a positive working environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chesterbrook Academy. Our community is ready to answer.