Chesterfield County Public Schools

• Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

Enjoyable place to work and great staff

I was given many opportunities there i wouldnt have had elsewhere. The staff was wonderful and was so happy I could spend abt 35 years with them. I go back to visit everytime i go home.

Pros

Wonderful staff. They are always there for you.

Cons

None I can think of.

Low pay lots of work but plenty of time off.

Many people either turn down CCPS job offers or leave for higher pay someplace else. They will always offer something at or near the bottom of the pay scale. But the people that you work with are generally friendly and the work life balance is pretty good.As a Building Operations Supervisor you will daily weekly and monthly PM's. The rest of the time you will be busy with plumbing (getting out clogs, replacing flush valves and wax rings sometimes whole toilets), Electrical (mainly replacing ballasts, bulbs, and finding tripped breakers) and HVAC (checking tower, pumps, chemical levels, water flow, resetting WSHPs diagnosing issues). Every now and then you will deal with roof leaks, furniture moving or assembly, painting and drywall, carpentry, flooring, and anything else that comes up. In the summer months you will be busy with classroom moves and the summer deep cleaning of the schools. You are on call 24/7 for anything that comes up afterhours. Also you are a supervisor so you will supervisor one or two crews of day porters and also inspect the work of the night crews of porters. Currently both of these roles are hard to fill and often times you will be filling in.

Pros

Two paid weeks off for winter break, lots of PTO rest of the year.

Cons

Lower than average pay, old buildings equipment and vehicles

Favoritism and lack of respect for length of service

After 13 years driving for the county, I am treated less respectfully and given less opportunity than those who have been there a few years. The extra hours ( which are needed to make a reasonable wage) are given to those who are chosen by the supervisor and office staff. You can show up on time, everyday, perform your work duties properly, be available if needed for emergency coverage and still be given average to poor review. They are constantly putting new policies in place that do not streamline the bus routes, they do not have personnel capable of operating the technology, and they waste resources daily.

Pros

Children can ride with parent, Insurance, days off

Cons

Lack of encouragement. Favoritism. Dishonesty

Supportive and collaborative environment.

My time at CCPS was good. I was there 2 two summers in a row for their leadership program and felt very respected and supported to help accomplish the goal of educating the students.

It's Okay

It's okay. I am only a teacher assistant, but the pay is disturbingly low even for that. Benefits are good that is about it. I don't have much good to say.

Benefits

Cons

unorganized, rude co workers, admin not helpful

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Engaging environment

Productive and great place to work and would recommend to consider applying for a position with this school system. Training is very good and explanation of what to expect on the job is very detailed.

Pros

Team efforts, value employees, value communities

Cons

The students are the best part of the job! Staff within school is very supportive. It is a big county and can feel disorganized at times. Compensation is what you would expect for public schools.

Pros

summers off

Cons

compensation

Depends on your school and the leadership

I will start by saying that when I needed support from Head Office, they were very helpful and communicative (which is not always the case). School culture depends very strongly on leadership. Getting a new principal impacted morale far more than COVID did.

Pros

Leadership in Head Office

Cons

Lack of autonomy

Love the children but management is awful.

I've been driving a school bus for almost 10 months and I enjoy it. On the other hand, management is awful, they don't trust employees to get the jobs done, the are extremely rude to their staff, and if you don't do as they say at all times, even when you know you're right, you get reprimanded. Also for the amount of things we have to deal with daily, I feel as if bus drivers should be making at least twenty dollars an hour. If that was put into place, I'm sure chesterfield county wouldn't be down over 100+ drivers. If they were more professional, I'd love to keep my job, but I am currently finishing out the rest of the year and looking for something different.

Pros

Amazing benefits, flexible schedule

Cons

Management, pay

Great place to work for a stable job

CCPS is a great place to work... depending on your administration. I have great administration, but they can make your life very difficult. Central office does not consider teachers a priority and that is reflected in pay and the inability to keep good teachers around.

Pros

Work Schedule

Cons

pay, lack of mobility, parents have more power than teachers

Teachers worked to death, students non stop taking standardized test and admin always talking about self-care and unplugging

Teachers have no planning time. I easily work twice the hours at home. The curriculum is outdated so teacher buy and create to meet students needs. Unnecessary meetings so higher ups can justify their jobs. Sad

Pros

Cons

No breaks, old building, buy your own furniture and all your supplies - it's just expected

Great hour but new management tries to get you fired if they do not like you!

Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at Chesterfield County Public Schools are benefits are good but pay is not. Worked for over 13 years and only made 3000 more than my starting salary.OverallMy experience working at Chesterfield County Public Schools was great in the beginning but management does not like you if you know how to do everything.

stressful but fulfilling, liked driving

Driving a school bus is very stressful at times, especially when kids are the problem and the school does not back the drivers up. Kids need to be held more accountable and removed when they posed a threat. They need more techs to maintain the buses better. And they need to listen to their drivers more who are the ones out in the field. I did enjoy driving just not the no backup for issues.

Pros

great benefits, off all summer

Cons

low pay versus other schools, no holiday pay

Its ok.

It's certianly not the best place to work, but it's a good place to get experience. Benefits and school hours are decent. Pay is below average considering the cost of living.

Transportation

Your work day is approximately 7 hours a day with about a 4 hour break between the morning and the afternoon bus runs. I learned that there is more to being a bus driver than anyone can imagine. Transportation management lacks communication and transparency. They do not value their employees. The culture of the workplace is like every other workplace. There are good and bad people. The hardest part of the job is driving a 40' vehicle with - 50-70 children on the bus. The other hard part is learning the pre-trip information. The most enjoyable part of the job is the bond you make with the students you transport each and every day. Compensation is not a living wage. The benefits are excellent.

I work in a fast pace environment. I love working with the kids.

This is a great job of you liking working with people, and children. I love the fast paced environment. The only thing wrong is that the communication is not there.

Great Place To Work

Working for Chesterfield County as a School Bus Driver has been my absolute favorite job. I get to take my two year old along with me on the school bus. Hours worked for my family. Three hrs in the morning. Three hrs in the afternoon. I’m out when school is out which is a plus because I have a kindergartener. I only wish they paid more. A little money is taken out of each check to go towards Winter and summer break, so you can still get paid.

Pros

Taking my kids along that’s over two. Health care.

Cons

Pay

Family environment

Offers an opportunity to grow and learn from others. The family environment make it welcoming to learn. Enjoyed the flexibility of creating classroom guidance schedules.

Good Place

Good supervisors, good kids, good colleagues. Normal stress of working in any school. Would return. Hardest part are kids. Best part are kids. Good benefits.

Excellent School District!

I loved my 14 years there as a School Counselor! I worked long hours, but that was my choice. My principals at Wells were outstanding educators! I would return !

Pros

People, Leadership

Cons

work practices and policies are substandard

substandard work environment, safety practices are generally not adhered to. no lead by example, double standards for different employees. Lack of knowledge for supervisors in certain areas of the position i hold,

benefits

Cons

substandard work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chesterfield County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss