Chesterfield County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Office staff excellent
Special Education Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAMarch 12, 2019
The office staff was excellent. My direct classroom staff clickish did not want to let outsiders in. My direct staff did not want to offer help on how to deal with a difficult student nor assistantance.
Pros
School spirit
Cons
Clickness of special education classroom teachers
Productive, Strong leadership
Data Steward/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAMarch 12, 2019
Chesterfield schools has many dedicated teachers and staff. The priority is students and providing a strong, rigorous curriculum to prepare them for a lifetime of learning.

I would highly recommend working for chesterfield schools.
Typical Day
Program Technician I-SE-APD (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAMarch 3, 2019
You get to work with a diverse staff and students. Staff is very helpful and supportive. The most rewarding part is knowing that you are making a difference in the children's lives.
typical government
School Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAFebruary 28, 2019
The pay is low the benefits are good. Job is made hard my management that is more concerned with their own agenda.

Not supportive of family and other personal things that employees must live with.
The manager that I worked under fired a large number of staff and then left themselves giving the employees no way to appeal their termination.
Decent Place
Elementary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAFebruary 5, 2019
I like the county but no place is perfect. It’s a decent place to work for but it really depends on at what school you are teaching. Each school has its own dynamics.
Pros
Overall good county
Cons
Can be Hard to transfer to other schools
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, SCFebruary 4, 2019
A typical day was 7 hours, you learned that all children learned differently. The management and workplace culture was great. There was no hard parts to the job and the enjoyment was being with the children.
Pros
Lunch and the teacher break.
Excellent county!
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 28, 2019
Excellent county to work for. You can receive as much or as little professional development and mentoring as possible. Your first year they provide you with a mentor.
Pros
Autonomy in the classroom
N/a
Educator (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAJanuary 11, 2019
The school system is big. There is plenty of opportunity for you to advance. Working with children is great and they really appreciate an adult spending time teaching them.
Bus driver
Bus driver full time (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAJanuary 7, 2019
I loved working there but the middle kids are just out of hand and you have no back up from the schools. Kids would not listen which created a dangerous driving situation
A typical day at work
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Chester, VADecember 26, 2018
Safe and serious place to work. Students are treated fairly and have lots of incentives. Every one willing to help out a co-worker. Easy going boss.Secretary is very helpful too. Hours are manageable.I enjoy working with students and faculty.At present time I am a paraprofessional,I go from class to class helping students that need more guidance. I some times work with autistic students and this can be trying at times,but non the less,enjoy their personalities.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Work when no students are there
Get place to work
Custodial Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VADecember 10, 2018
It was great working there supplies was always stocked I was the supervisor there so I had everything done correctly the teachers and students love me
Benefits
okay for parttime
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, SCDecember 4, 2018
Great county work for. Its just not steady work, only as needed. Dealing with children can be stressful but it a well underpaid job. This job is great for only partime, retires, and full time moms.
I love it
Clinic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VADecember 3, 2018
I love the schedule of working with the county I have summers off and other holidays
I love children and working with them is fantastic
I love the staff and also they always pay on time
Deputy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAOctober 26, 2018
It is great to support public schools and the education of all children. It is rewarding to know that my contribution is making a difference. I am so proud of the schools we serve.
Very bad to work for
Food service manager (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAOctober 24, 2018
They just want to get all the people out that are older so they do not have to pay retirement. Everything has changed over the years.they don't want to help you with anything.
Just ok
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAOctober 19, 2018
If you are willing to work 24/7 then this is the place for you. The demands placed on teachers is overwhelming. They do not set you up to be successful.
I worked half a year as a substitute and 1/2 a year as a contract full time 5th grade teacher.
Substitute Teacher/5th grade teacher (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAOctober 17, 2018
I taught in a school with an ethnically diverse student body. I taught reading, writing, spelling, and social studies. I also had a homeroom. I was the class's fourth teacher by January that year.
Pros
I learned a lot.
Cons
I was the fourth teacher by January that year.
cleaning of the school
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAOctober 17, 2018
i starts at 7a.m. open up school and cutting lights on in the building . later put flag up and set up for breakfast after breakfast clean up cafe. and set up for lunches , we have four lunches . check restrooms for stock if needed and dust mop hallways , clean front office enterance . lunches start at 11:28 am - 1:15pm. we clean cafe up and get trash out of cafe. and clean tables and dust mop floors and mop everyday
Pros
we have 2, 15minutes breaks and 30 minute lunch break
Cons
shorts breaks while s kids eating lunch
Chesterfield County Public Schools
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAOctober 16, 2018
• Execute lesson plans assigned by permanent teacher for students in grades KG through 5th grade for various subjects making adjustments when needed
• Maintain order in classroom and managing classes of 25-30 students
• Administer tests and exams, collect and correct students assignments
• Encourage student participation and provide individual instruction as needed to students with a range of abilities including special needs
• Monitor and lead extracurricular activities and ensure the safety and wellbeing of students indoors and outdoors
• Admired by permanent teachers and students for exceptional patience and the ability to educate all students resulting in recurring request to teach their class
Not worth it!
Office Manager, Sr (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAOctober 16, 2018
It was the worst working experience I have ever had in my working career. The disrespect and racism I received and experienced was mind blowing. I do not recommend this company at all.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chesterfield County Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight