Chesterfield County Employee Reviews

Bad management and unfavorable advancement
Logistics Technician (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAJanuary 9, 2019
If you have aspirations of moving up you will be disappointed. The higher ups are afraid of moving someone in the department up that might take their job. They also are afraid of valuing the workers input and opinions. I was their 12 years and never had my opinion heard.
Communications Officer 911
Emergency Communications Officer (911) (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VADecember 18, 2018
I went through several months, testing, psychological exams, etc to become a 911 operator. I passed tests with flying colors and really enjoyed the training. Once I was live doing 911 calls the training was nothing like what we would've had to know and was way too fast paced to make someone comfortable while they have callers lives in their hands. The turnover rate is extremely high, days off vary because its 24/7 and people who have been there the longest get to pick their holidays off first. The pay isn't also worth all the emotional things you go through and hear. Also, be prepared to work overnights if you are new.
Stressful, but always a since of fulfilment.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield County, VANovember 15, 2018
As a police officer every day was different, never the same twice. Working 12 hour shifts are the norm. The people for the most part respected the police, but because we bordered Richmond there was always problems with crime. The management seemed to watch there own back more than yours. The job was very hard to keep qualified people employed. This always led to issues with getting any time off other than your normal days off. Overall being a police officer in Chesterfield is a good job. It is a job that is in high demand and if you need to make extra money, there is always overtime available.
Pros
Helping the public
Cons
working hours and the 8 month acadamy
Enjoyable work place
Deputy Clerk of Court (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VANovember 12, 2018
The Chesterfield County General District Clerk's office is a warm and welcoming workplace. While the job can be rather stressful, the office environment helps to minimize that as much as possible.
Nice work environment
VA (Former Employee) –  VAOctober 16, 2018
Nice work environment, respectful, creative, full of energy, nice employees, nice salary, Productive and fun workplace. Supervisor takes care of you and understands you
enjoyable job
Transportation Driver (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield County, VASeptember 27, 2018
Employed at female institution,transporting detainees,to and from their jobs.listening to problems concerns.management ok,culture diverse.bad weather
No day is ever the same
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VASeptember 23, 2018
Work really is enjoyable with coworkers and customers, only draw back for part time employees is benefits. The county does not pay for days they are not open during snow or other weather issues, which means you have to use your little paid vacation for it, or your pay check will be so short. Also the pay is not adequate for the work we do. It does not hurt to pay more and give a few more benefits to part time workers. After all we all have the same responsibility so why not have more benefits that would help a lot. Also it is hard for part time worker to gain full time employment. Seems like we are getting bypassed. Other than that I guess it depends what department you work for. I enjoy my department and wished I would be able to work there full time.
Pros
if you have good coworkers it will be enjoyable
Cons
not enough pay for part time, or pay for inclimanant weather
Family oriented atmosphere
Benefits Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAAugust 24, 2018
The work environment was stressful in certain aspects which could make anyone bonkers. Training needs to be enhanced where the learning curve can be minimized to help others overcome obstacles in being successful.
Benefits
Cons
Mentorship Programs
Fast paced
Tax Assessment Specialist, Comm. of Rev. (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAAugust 12, 2018
Very fast paced. Multi tasking is a must. Must be very good at math and customer service skills. Learned a lot about VA Taxation and the rules for Business Personal Property and Business License for Chesterfield County.
Pros
Multi Tasking
Cons
Stressful at times
Productive and great benefits
Deputy clerk (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAAugust 3, 2018
Education advancement is great They have a good program and the fact to take classes online or in their classroom to get degrees for further development. The benefits are very great they have a lot of events to support various organizations within the county they care about their employees.
Pros
Benefits, educational classes, lots of resources for families support
Cons
No overtime if needed
school enviroment!
Food Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAJuly 31, 2018
It was fast past and percise. you were expected to do alot and follow a lot of guidelines for the low pay. You could not afford the benefits offered.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no benefits
Good work envision
Bus Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAJuly 24, 2018
Mostly easy work days, not to much back breaking work. Management usually pretty laid back. Tool checks and free lunch every now and then. Pay isn't the best.
Pros
Good work
Cons
Low pay
This was a seasonal position for the local government authority
Assessment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAJuly 3, 2018
At the time of hire it was acknowledged that this position would only be needed for the "busy" tax season. There was a huge volume of work as many residents took advantage of the discounted tax relief for real estate property taxes.
Pros
Helping those in need
Cons
Short term employment 25000
Relaxed
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAJune 11, 2018
Love the employees I work with. Only problem I have is upper management. Upper management has stated that we are second rate employees and that we need new blood here in the County
Nice place to work but still Clickish
Construction Assistant (Current Employee) –  VAJune 3, 2018
the people are nice "most of them " but information is still passed sparingly to certain people and no real help to sharpen skills to advance unless you fit their mold .
Pros
work is pleasant
Cons
no real help advancing or skills development
Great place to work at
Lead Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield County, VAJune 2, 2018
Great place to work at with awesome people. Everyone I worked with was very helpful and they support each other. Management makes sure that they ensure career growth and development of resources.
Awesome
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAMay 21, 2018
work day started at 8:30 a.m., helping customers coming into the agency, data entry and the culture was uplifting and supportive of staff no matter what situation arose.
If youre new, they wont listen to you.
Principal Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VA 23832May 2, 2018
The older women like to gossip more then the younger crowd being hired. Nothing good was ever said about the younger ppl getting work done. Many mistakes by the older folk would not be taken seriously.
Overall good company to work for
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield County, VAApril 19, 2018
Overall good company to work for, diverse workforce. In house training is top notch with the option to earn certificates. Upper Management could use a little more training on conflict resolution.
Pros
Hours
Cons
enjoyed my job and other employee interaction
Tax Assessment Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAApril 16, 2018
I supervised 3 full time and up to 15 parttime employees in processing state income tax returns and real estate tax relief. All of the employees worked together as a group to complete all tasks needed to be done. There were a lot of deadlines, but all of them were met by working together.
Pros
management appreciated a job well done
Cons
I had to commute an hour each way to work each day