Chevron Employee Reviews

Found 2,805 reviews matching the search See all 3,629 reviews
A temporary job only
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mountain Home, IDNovember 1, 2018
I have worked on and off at Chevron for years now, I don't have anything good to say about it except the other employees are like family, and they pay better than most gas stations. Boss is never around and extremely unprofessional. Management has no clue what they're doing. Employees with health issues are mostly told to get over it and get back to work or they will be fired. Favoritism is a big issue there, promised shifts which take away from other employees who could only work certain shifts. I can go on and on, but I'll end this review with saying I would not recommend this as a long-term job, it will pay the bills (barely) but you will lose your will to live.
Pros
Paid breaks, decent pay
Cons
No Raises, Almost everything else.
Company culture depends on department
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CASeptember 22, 2018
Hardest part about the job: the company is trying to accelerate in the digital space, and there is upper management support, but there is not the motivation to take risk in the middle management, which limits the creativity and amount of calculated risks people are willing to take. It will take time, just requires more patience to allow new ideas and enable the employees to be more independent. Smart people were hired, let them make their own decisions.
Best part about the job: benefits. Good stability, opportunities for career growth and volunteering.
Pros
Good benefits, large steady company
Cons
IT culture needs work
Chevron is the best of the best to work for
Senior Category Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CADecember 19, 2018
Outstanding company to work for. Based on personal experience working for 4 Fortune 25 companies, Chevron is head and shoulders above all of them for work environment, culture, payy. and benefits, and job security. Tough to get hired, but once there, and assuming adequate job performance, Chevron provides an excellent opportunity for a long and fruitful work career. Simply the best!
Pros
work environment, company culture, pay and benefits
Cons
complicated and burdensome performance evaluation system
Really love the company, just no jobs in my area of residence and family not in a place to move right now.
Field Specialist A (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMNovember 3, 2018
Overall great company to work for. Plenty of opportunities for advancement and career development if you have the drive. Large company and feels like it, painfully slow to get things taken care of. Very Saftey oriented. Permiting paperwork is excessive, paperwork could be more streamlined.
Relocation package is supposed to be changing but is yet to be seen as to the details.
Pros
Great pay, great people and benefits
Cons
Poor relocation package.
Chevron was a career not just a job.
REFINERY MECHANIC AND COMPANY REP (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula, MSJanuary 15, 2019
The statement that stood out for me during my orientation at Chevron Pascagoula Refinery was that "97% of the people hired by Chevron, retire from Chevron." My progression through the company from trainee to Company Rep (contractor liaison), was a continuous flow of joyous challenges and personal growth. I could never imagine that there was a company that would train me to operate lathes, milling machines and cranes and pay me as well, while I was having fun.
Pros
High ethics, safety first, anyone can stop a job without reprecussions, team emphasis, terrific income and benefits.
Cons
Hours away from family.
chevron
chardelles truck stop (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LANovember 2, 2018
i would work the register wich includes lottery, set gas pumps, and make safe drops.

check in vendor's when needed, write the checks and then stock the shelves.

bag ice, stock cooler, keep coffee pots filled, inside and outside trash, clean glass doors, stock cups, make sure bathrooms were clean and toiletries were stocked, and sweep and mop

deli worker would get off earlier then me so i had to serve the customers the food from the hot box
Pros
loved the workers, customers, and boss
Cons
never recieved any appreciation for my work (never recieved raise)
It was a great job where i got to interact with lots of people traveling. Was a great work environment and was very easy to get along with coworkers.
Cashier/ stocker (Former Employee) –  Wikieup, AZSeptember 24, 2018
Working at the Chevron was a quite easy job. Just running the register and ringing people up all day long. Was very awsome getting to meet all kinds of people traveling through. Wikieup is a very small town that is after Wickenburg and before Kingman. It is on the highway going to Vegas.So it did get very busy at times. I also stocked the coolers and the store products while cashiering also. When we would get our big store orders for the week we would have to price everything and organize the products. It was a great work environment. Very friendly co-workers. Management was great also, not the best but i was not there to make friends. Just to work then go home. The hardest part of the job would have to be closing. Cleaning every part of the store and the counting our till which is the drawer. Making sure we had every penny accounted for.
Pros
Getting paid every Friday, Getting free drinks and hot roller food even when we were not on the clock.
Cons
Starting off at minimum wage ans having to wait 6 months to get a raise.
My duties at Chevron
Operator (Former Employee) –  Doraville, GANovember 16, 2018
I worked at Chevron, Doraville as a contractor. My main objective was to test the additives in the winter gas blend. Testing occurs September through April. When not in blending season I maintained the office building and grounds at the terminal, cleaning, painting, mowing and weed eating.
Pros
Wasn't micro-managed
Cons
Being a contractor I was not given the opportunity for benefits, overtime, paid holidays, etc.
productive and positive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 31, 2018
It was a fun place to work. Customers friendly, vendors energetic and talkative and store stayed busy. Management were nice but fairly new to the business I feel. Reviews for raises weren't always done in a timely manner and job security could be seen as hit or miss but was a pleasant place to work
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Interesting meeting a variety of people
Assistant Manager/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTOctober 19, 2018
I got to meet all kinds of people from all walks of life. i learned management skills, how to invent work schedules, and become efficient in my job duties the hardest part of my job was getting people to stay employeed at chevron. They offered no benefits and the pay was mimimum. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting alot of people.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
BEING on call
Overall a great company
IT Professional (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 21, 2018
Work/life balance with alternative work schedules available. Competitive benefits but career advancement can be a challenge for those who are mid-career as development opportunities tend to be focused on newer (read generally younger) employees.
Very Political
Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 6, 2018
Career progression is based on the right people knowing and liking you. Skills and performance are not as important if certain people like you. Company preaches a lot about diversity and inclusion but very difficult for minorities to progress.
Pros
Great benefits and compensation
Cons
Very challenging for minorities
Big corporation with lots of room for growth.
Welder/Fitter (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CAOctober 8, 2018
Working for Chevron used to be more family friendly but it’s still a good career, with lots of job opportunities and growth. There are three different maintenance crafts (Machinists, Welders/Fitters, and Electricians). There are also Operators and Supervisor/Clerical positions.
Pros
Excellent benefits, excellent salary
Cons
Long days, forced OT for some positions
Fast paced, on the job training is near zero
Field Operator (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CASeptember 1, 2018
benefits and compensation are awesome but the downfall is the middle management and lack of on the job training which will cause you to struggle more to get up to speed. Management expects you to know everything as if a well seasoned worker even if you just started. the culture is one sided and not in your favor. One mistake and your out mentality.
Pros
Benefits, Pay
Cons
management, culture, on the job training
Long term employment
Jr. 3rd. Engineer .. Pumpman .. Plumber (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CAOctober 20, 2018
Excellent Company to work as a team member Good management employee relations
Excellent Retirement and Benefits
Excellent pay
Long term to retirement employment
Safety Culture is outstanding
Pros
Excellent Retirement package.. average 25, 000 dollars a year to your retirement package
Chevron
Project Manager (LLRW) (Former Employee) –  MississippiJune 11, 2018
I worked on a large clean up (EPA) program with Chevron for the EPA in Brookhaven, Mississippi. I lead the entire program and wrote all safety programs, held meetings with the men that worked under me. Did all the hiring and firing on this job. Ordered all equipment needed on the job and set salaries for the men that was hired. Meetings were held in Washington, DC, which I attended, along with the head for Chevron. We discussed the overall work that had been handled. Submitted environmental reports, charts and showed where I saved Chevron much money and cut costs by looking ahead on the best deals for equipment.
Pros
great company, was given raises and Christmas bonus, once a moth free lunch, my team worked very well with others, we maintained a daily schedule that we stuck too
Cons
Easy going; happy go lucky work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 18, 2018
Typical day/shift is normally 8.5-12 hours long depending on the work load. Schedule is done atleast 2 weeks ahead, sometimes more. I've learned how to get along with a wide variety of co-workers who don't necessarily want to be working doing what they are doing. I've learned how to deal with homeless people all the way to high class with money, management is very passive and nobody is ever held accountable for breaking even small rules, there is no write-ups ever so therefor people tend to slack off without that accountability. We work without breaks and lunches. We eat as we are helping customers, etc.. Often times just one person is working at a time. I love the variety of customers that I get to help everyday. The hardest part is probably working with management that is very passive in not holding people accountable for their actions, positive and negative.
Pros
discounts
Cons
no breaks/lunches; no benefits
if you like big compan
Sr. Advisor to PetroBoscan (Former Employee) –  VenezuelaDecember 4, 2018
Good for pay but corporate culture is more directed towards the process driving the business not the business driving the process. Company puts forward a culture of fairness, etc. when in reality it is set up so that no one is blamed for anything, it is the process.
Pros
Salary and benefitsq
Cons
culture.
Average place to work
Station Manager (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CA 94513January 6, 2019
Typical day consists of dealing with customer service, helping with cash registers, and doing daily paper works. Hardest part of the job will be dealing with difficult customers, fear of being rob all the time.
The most enjoyable part will be the daily interaction with nice and friendly regular customers.
Pros
tuition reimbursement
benefits
Very fast and friendly
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Panguitch, UTNovember 30, 2018
Chevron was a great place to work. I was there for just under a year and loved it. The management was very friendly and was willing to work with me. I also got a pay raise every 6 months.
Pros
Easy to work with

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chevron. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K
41.1K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Chevron.

Powered by Comparably