Chewy Employee Reviews

Featured review
Chewy selected this as a representative review
It's actually a welcoming workplace.
Fulfillment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Clayton, INSeptember 3, 2018
-Fulfillment specialist: $14/hr part-time; Sundays/Saturdays.
-Typical day is 10 1/2 hrs (7am-5:30pm.) I clock in, get a scanner, get a scooter, and get to work.
-It's really simple: Your scanner will tell you where to go and what to scan, and whatever you scan, you put onto your cart, and repeat for the rest of the day.
-There are two 30 min breaks (10:30am{unpaid} & 2pm{paid})
-(Hardest part) Some items, like the cat litter bags, are quite heavy (maybe 50+ lbs), but I don't mind it.
-(Most enjoyable part) I will advise for everyone to use a scooter. It really makes the job easier, light, fast, and fun!
-Usually, right before we start, we do stretches (well, at least I follow along to the stretches.)
-I'm not a people-person by any means, but so far, people have been nice and respectful. The atmosphere is really welcoming.
-I don't know the manager, so I can't say anything about him/her.
-All in all, one word I have for Chewy: FUN. I guarantee you, you'll get the hang of it quickly.
*P.S. I saw a dog once. (They allow pets there!!)
Pros
Pay; diversity; 20% discounts on their site, energetic atmosphere
Cons
Only 2 breaks. There used to be 3.
ok job
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Clayton, INJanuary 14, 2019
Chewy had some pros but the management was just a couple guys that seemed to have no experience and acted as if they were out with guys trying to pick up chicks.
Pros
nice lunch room
don't not work here.
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Clayton, INJanuary 12, 2019
The Clayton Indiana location is a joke, just like most of the employee, should have sued over what happen to to me. I gave them ample time to take care of the situation, nothing was done. Management is a joke.
Cons
do not work here.
Horrible
Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Clayton, INJanuary 12, 2019
Straight up terrible place to work. Management sucks and the only advancement opportunities are accompanied with major butt kissing. No matter how long you have been there you will likely be passed up by outside hires or under qualified people that the managers like. Also hr is a joke. Went to complain about issue with management and was told there was nothing they would do about it. What a joke. Just find any other warehouse and guaranteed you will be better off.
Pros
Pay, 4 day work weeks
Cons
Management, Hr, Culture, Butt-Kissers
If you are liked it is good for you.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dania Beach, FLJanuary 11, 2019
High school environment. The company is growing at a rapid pace and the employees are being treated as a number with more frequency. People in Customer Service are burned out.
Great place but could use a better attitude culture.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 11, 2019
A comfortable place to learn and grow within. Management could use an attitude adjustment, same with the employees. Could use more employees in all roles. Need to have management mentor and show the right kind of leadership skills. Quality and efficiency is a huge miss here. I do work hard every single day here. Harder then more than 95% of the staff here including harder then management and the hr and others work. I try every day to make the business better and to provide the best experience from the warehouse side to the costumes. I do as well try to promote teamwork, top quality and efficiency will get the company its numbers. I try to teach everyone if you want something to change you must work and show them.
It was alright
Transportation Coordinator/Lead (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZJanuary 10, 2019
People were lazy, especially on the outbound dock. Night shift supervisor and manager were too lazy to put enough people on the dock, never got anything done. I was the best transportation coordinator at Chewy in Goodyear, AZ, nobody will run if better than me and I have people that will vouch for me.
Stay as far away as possible
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAJanuary 9, 2019
I don't even know where to begin the whole thing was a joke management couldn't care what you have to say hired kids for management for an adult job unless you were sucking up to management you weren't ever doing a good enough job
Run away
Inbound (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 8, 2019
Don't do it and just run away worse place to work at ever people act better than everyone else with their nose in the air they don't care about the safety of their employees
Pros
It's a job
Cons
To many to list
fine
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJanuary 8, 2019
fine place to work. work is hard but the people make it a little harder. thats how everywhere is so i cant complain. money is money and is a job is a job
Pros
money
Cons
people suck
culture was was awful
Outbound Lead (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 7, 2019
i rather commit suicide instead of speaking with HR. My time at Chewy was good until rumors spread about myself that i knew nothing about, instead of HR asking me about said rumors they basically told me that i was doing everything they heard.
Pros
Managers that care
Cons
Team members clock in tell u what they NOT gon do
Productive and interesting place
Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 6, 2019
10 hour days picking n packing orders sometimes lifting 40 to 60 pounds of pet products. While trying to maintaine there standards set by management. Some times due to equipment breaking down hard to meet goals Enjoyable part is my co workers we try to have fun while doing our job.
Pros
They offer overtime
Cons
Days cut short so not enough hours not full days
Their way or the Highway
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJanuary 6, 2019
Chewy is by far the worst company I have ever worked for! Not only is it very stressful, you're constantly being micromanaged and you have people above you that have no idea what they're doing. It's full of entitled, full of themselves, 20-30 something-year-olds walking around like they're better than anyone. Oh, and if you're not buddy-buddy with someone in management good luck trying to move up or trying to get a raise that you deserve! They have no type of consideration for their employees. For example, if you're sick, had a death in the family, or anything extream like that you better know how to predict it a year in advance and let them know ASAP because if you try to call out or show up late they do not accept any "excuses", not even a doctor's note. They're constantly moving your workstation around (like on a daily basis) and tell you that you need to be more open to change. They also have the slowest loading computers so if you have never sat at that desk before you better show up to work 30 min early and pray the computer loads on time for you to clock in or they will consider you late (even if they saw you walk in, and sit down way before your shift started). The amount of things they give away for free to customers is why customers are SO RUDE because they are spoiled and entitled. Yet the company wonders why they don't profit any money, yet get over 10k new customers a day. You are only given 30 mins for lunch which IS NOT enough time to do anything (escape from rude customers, eat, use the bathroom, ect). Chewy is literally a cult and if you don't obey by their  more... "laws" they get rid of you. At Chewy you're only a number, not a person.  less
Pros
Free pet supplies
Cons
Everything else
It's lovely, I'm just not the right person for the job.
CSR (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 6, 2019
My typical day for my 8-4:30 shift is waking up at five am. My commute is an hour there, maybe more so I have to leave early just to make sure I'm not a minute late. Not too bad, my mom did it for years and Chewy is pretty strict on punctuality. So I get in, they have an amazing coffee machine, a nice little break room. The break room is the only place in the call center you can have your cell phone, which is good. Security for customer's credit cards, you know.

Then you hit the floor, and I should've asked this in the interview what calls were like. Because they were non stop, you have to maintain the pace. You can never put a customer on hold, you have to keep talking to them and notating as you're trying to assist them. The moment you're out of training, you're on your own. It's a never ending onslaught of calls, and no breaks until you're designated 15s or your 30. I get they don't want customers on hold because it's annoying but the never ending slew of calls is so taxing.

If you're not prepared to answer calls and manage everything entirely on your own first day out of your training period when it feels like a mad dash just to try and get everything done, then this likely isn't for you. I thought I could personally handle it, but everyday I'm waking with a knot in my stomach. I cry on my way to work and sit in my car before I have to go in and just debate going home. Because is it worth it? The strain on my mental health is already overwhelming.

Training didn't adequately prepare me for how hard this would be, how draining. I come home, an even longer drive, around
  more... 90 minutes, and just. Lay in bed, don't really move.

If you're really well put together and can handle constant talking, interaction, doing everything for a customer then great! You'll likely do well at this job if you can effortlessly fill the silence! The pay is pretty nice, the environment is warm and inviting, there are dogs!

But for me? It's just not right. I'm an introvert with extreme bouts of anxiety, the constant calls put me in a place of wanting to cry, hang up, and run out of the building. I've been getting sick from the stress, which I know isn't doing any favors for my attendance but I can't help it. The job drains me mentally and I likely won't be staying much longer. I wanted to be on the writing team because I can type pretty fast without many errors, puns are easy for me, and communicating like this is far more enjoyable than being on the phone because I'm awkward when I can't plan a reply.

For a lot of other people, this is a fantastic job and opportunity. I have no doubt a lot of people do flourish under this work environment.

I just don't. Wish I realized a little sooner, I wouldn't have wasted anyone's time during training. I've only been here a month and I can tell this isn't the place for me.
Pros
fair pay, benefits, amazing work environment, extremely understanding
Cons
extremely fast paced, no pauses allowed aside from breaks, long commute
Easy job but HR is a joke
Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee) –  Clayton, INDecember 30, 2018
Job is pretty easy and you pretty much stay busy from start to finish. Must be able to stand 10 hours and be able to lift up 75 lbs.
But HR is joke. They lie to you all the time. If they call you in for MOT (Mandatory Over Time) and you already have something like a Drs Appoinment, you will have to reschedule your appointment cause they will not accept any paper work for anything that isn't more than 1 day.
Pros
You get left alone to do your job
Cons
Not enough break time
A real headache
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLDecember 28, 2018
This is the most stressful job I've ever had. I literally am in tears by the end of my shift here. You are on your own! You're supposed to have a lead available to you when you need help, great! Except when your lead is no where to be found because they are off chit chatting with their friends as well as all the other leads on the floor and now you're stuck. Leads and anyone in management can do what they want. Managment is very unhelpful. You get one 30 min break and two 15 minute breaks. This is not enough time to calm down from back to back calls. They treat reps like workers in a sweat shop. Calls, calls, calls, or else. No time to decompress. You are micromanaged daily!!!! They are always watching remotely as to if you are on a call or not. Stressed out from a rude customer from the previous call? Oh well, better keep taking calls. No one cares. Youre just a number. If you aren't a csr you are lucky.
Pros
Happy hour
Cons
Everything else
Nice place but some things need fixed
Item Picker (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 27, 2018
Management was okay some people where not the nicest but you could get along with them alright.
The people that worked there where really nice if you needed help they would help and any questions you had they would try and answer with an understandable explanation of how to do it.
They had there flaws but they weren't anything major.
Pros
Free food sometimes/ little events
Cons
There are to many to say.
Fast Paced
Order Fulfillment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVDecember 25, 2018
Fast pace job with good pay and benefits. Attendance is on a point system and not very forgiving. if you have asthma or any other respiratory problems not a job for you.
Pros
good hours & pay
Cons
point system for attendance and long drive
Well, it was fun at first.
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 24, 2018
Alright, time to get real about the pharmacy:
it’s a MESS. If you don’t enjoy calling vet clinics and having them be rude to you, it isn’t for you. Clinics get tired of us constantly bombarding them with phone calls, but our system is so broken that leadership forces us to.

Speaking of leadership - they are pretty much all extremely rude and condescending towards their employees. How is it appropriate that different leaders are sleeping with their subordinates? It’s gross and a negligent display of power. If you are not favored by your managers, they will become awkward and cold when talking to you. That’s not a fun feeling, especially when you genuinely need assistance with an escalated situation. They will even sometimes mock you and respond with sarcastic remarks when you come to them looking for guidance. In addition, no information is concisely agreed upon by all - so some employees are reprimanded for following the incorrect instructions of leads.

If you are unable to stick to your break schedule, you will be spoken to. If you have an issue with being at work 15–20 minutes before your shift, THIS IS NOT THE JOB FOR YOU. Workforce literally told us to be 15-20 minutes early, yet we are unable to clock in until 5 minutes before we’re scheduled.

They round any time over what’s scheduled in FAVOR OF THE COMPANY - please keep this in mind. If you work an extra 10-15 minutes, you will not get paid for it.

Let me just give you a bit of advice: it is an extremely mundane job. If you need variety and change, this will make you feel drained emotionally.

The pharmacy
  more... needs massive improvement. It is a joke of a company at this point. You will feel like a number here, rather than an individual. When I first started when we originally opened, it was fantastic! I loved going to work. Now, I feel miserable and empty going to sit down in front of a computer just to have vet techs and receptionists insult me.  less
Pros
Holiday parties, occasional gifts from suppliers, rare positive feedback from consumers
Cons
Poor management, low wages, stressful work environment, favoritism, inconsistent policies, poor security
Its okay
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PADecember 23, 2018
Job is easy just have a bunch of young people working there so it's always some type of drama they do t give you along enough training on the machines and just throw yu on the floor
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not enough training
Friendly work environment
Warehouse Fulfillment Associate (Current Employee) –  NevadaDecember 22, 2018
A basic day consists of order filling and or multiple different duties in the warehouse , including shipping out orders , tapping boxes , unloading boxes into a loading line and fulfilling orders!
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chewy. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight