Chewy Employee Reviews

2.9
Ratings breakdown
Toxic company culture, apply at your own risk
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJuly 16, 2018
I've worked at this company for 2+ years as a CSR. Chewy has gotten larger since I've started and is still growing at this rate. Seeing their commercials now make my stomach violently turn.

That being said, when you're dealing with a "start-up" you have to deal with the constant changes. The reasoning ends there however. Never have I dealt with such incompetent "trainers" and "management" (millenials with no experience) leading this company as they have no clue what's going on and will only feed you lies.

Every change that occurs is vaguely mentioned and that's only after they hold you accountable. Their company culture is very toxic and what they feed you at training is a stone cold lie. I've worked a variety of jobs before Chewy and still somehow bought into their fakeness.

I started as a very happy individual and it left me nothing but a shell of my former self in the end. I had a nervous breakdown near the end and had to quit as I couldn't take it anymore. I was so unhappy.

There are NO raises and no opportunities (UNLESS you're a HUGE BROWN NOSER) as this place only rewards throwing people under the bus. They will say one thing and then do another..Just really unorganized chaos and unprofessionalism all across the board. I've made great marks as a CSR as I had everything down pat and they still wouldn't provide me the opportunity to just make a LATERAL move. That's it, I wasn't even asking for a raise and they still denied me while they gave me a different reason each time. I couldn't help but scoff internally as I would catch them in a lie because every
  more... excuse was just that. A sad lie because no one knows what they're talking about.

They kept me on the phones and they micromanage you every second of every day. God forbid you have to go to the restroom because that is removed from your break time. If you exceed your allotted break, they WILL harass you. They say that you just have to communicate to them but that is also a lie as they will start notating everything against you.

My "lead" was a moron with a complex and she started bothering me for every little thing because she never liked me. That's how a lot of people that work there are, very rude--CSRs in the office will constantly grumble unhappily and many that I knew quit because they couldn't stand it either. People in the hallway don't smile and everyone has an attitude. YET these are the people that are being promoted (especially CSRs) even though that goes against what they teach you..The hypocrisy is real. Also, the CS manager can't properly write emails and abuses her privileges by always brings her dogs to the office while everyone on the floor cannot. What a joke.

I really wish that this could've gone a different way as I truly love animals (unlike many there) and already put some time in the company but it wasn't meant to be. I've been treated so bad by this company as an employee AND THEN AS A SOLE CUSTOMER that I never want to deal with these people again.
Pros
Occasional freebies, if you get to get away from the phones in the right moment
Cons
Short breaks, toxic company culture, unprofessional management, Generic call center, no raises, disorganization
Okay place to work if you keep your head down.
Fufillment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJuly 15, 2018
Constant hours and pay checks, unfair volunteer time off. be ready to work over 50 hours a week, short notice for mandatory overtime. managers do not care about your concerns
Extremely fast paced
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 14, 2018
my first call center job, however, while in training we were told we cannot put customers on hold, or transfer. We must keep a constant “chewy” dialogue going, no room for dead air- not very chewy. In the background it is a struggle trying to navigate between +4 windows, while keeping the cusomter engaged. Oh and after you’re done taking care of the cusomter you need to submit a form which states the reason why they called, and no you cannot put your phone out of the queue call while doing this- so pray you were able to submit your forms through oracle, notate the cusomters account, update any information or whatever you needed to do(update shipping, billing address) while engaging the customer in a chewy manner before your next call comes in and it will! Chewy only has 2 call centers for its entire customer base in the US. I unterstand Their mission to WOW their customers but they are completely insensitive to the fact that we have make sure we’re doing everything right on our end- if you mess up on ANYTHING and the customer calls back to complain? You’re out. It’s very much so, customer>employees. If customers call to complain about anything- their pet not liking the food, they didn’t get the package “on time”, we will simply send a free replacement y or refund if the customer is persistent enough. Takes a lot to get a customer flagged and I sense they are aware of this. I got this overwhelming feeling of the trainer trying so hard to convince us that chewy is a great company to work for-I understand it’s pretty much their job to do that lol but it was laid on thick and to  more... me, if you have to work hard to convince something is great most likely its not. Oh training is two weeks long, but you’re not allowed to write down anything, and that’s how I learn anything. I wont Be here long.  less
Pros
Happy hour, free beer and free food occasionally in the break room
Cons
Ginormous call volume, no room between calls to notate cusomters account
Sincerely the best job I have had in my life!
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 11, 2018
Coming to work everyday is rewarding and fun at Chewy. I love the environment here. My coworkers are like-minded and a pleasure to work with. I believe this is largely in part to the fact that Chewy 10000% has high expectations when it comes to their employees. The quality of the people working with/around me in all roles is 5 star. Being surrounded with people who share my work ethic and whom have a strong sense of work place comradery, makes my day to day at work happy and low stress! In the past I have worked in more "professional" settings with much less professional co-workers and my stress level was extremely high. I feel like my hard work is always recognized and rewarded at Chewy. The benefits are great! Medical, dental and vision/401k/ discounts.... LOVE IT! I love that if I need time off for personal reasons, Chewy is willing to allow me to take that time as long as I request it and get it approved in advanced.

I advanced into a leadership role quickly, I noticed the same happening for other hardworking stand outs. I personally love working in a high expectation environment. It makes my advancement that much more rewarding. Chewy is definitely not the place for people who believe a company should accommodate employees who are habitual with attendance issues and poor work ethic. We work hard here at Chewy. I am so proud to be a part of that.
Pros
Rewarding, fun, low stress
Cons
Overtime opportunities are not as available as I would like.
Racist, inconsiderate, unprofessional place of business.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 10, 2018
They don’t care about anyone who isn’t paid the big bucks. They’re liars and inconsiderate. They have yet to pay people what they deserve. Horrible place to work. They let people say racial slurs without any disciplinary action taking place, but they will fire another person for 15 minutes of time off task. They definitely descriminate. It’s hard talking to anyone in HR unless you’re in charge. This place doesn’t care about their employees at all.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Short breaks with long walks, racist, inconsiderate, unprofessional
Good Time
FRAUD ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJuly 8, 2018
I enjoyed my time working for Chewy. They care about their employees and there is a lot of opportunity for growth. Every Monday, Chewy would bring us Bagels from Einsteins.
Pros
promotions, bagel mondays
Cons
call volume
Not What It’s Portrayed To Be
Fullfillment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittston, PAJuly 8, 2018
Chewy Portrays That They Care For There Emoloyees Yet They Design A Point System That is Designed To Cut You Short Of Progress. Breaks & Start Times Are Not Truly What They Allot due to time clocks being about a 7-10 Minute walk away so you have to be in the doors Atleast 20-30 min. Early to start your day on time. If you arrive in the lot say 20 min early, you’re est. clock in time would be about 5min early (not fair)
(If you are able to just walk straight w/no interruptions) & there is no line at the time clock)

Lunch is pretty much non existent for the same reasons as well as breaks. You don’t get the shift intended nor days which if you have other responsibilities don’t expect to keep your job. & there are little fine print about the point system that effect your pay that you don’t learn in the orientation like holiday pay rules (if you have a point on/before/after the holiday you will not get your holiday pay (which is a way to rob you imo)

The job is easy the schemes are what make It hard.
Pros
Easy Work Process
Cons
Not Designed To Get What You Deserve
Not enjoyable
CSR (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 3, 2018
I do not enjoy working at Chewy. People who are deserving of promotions get passed up without second glance because of a couple of bad calls. Now you have people who have horrendous management skills as leads and people who deserve to be on writing team still on the phones. They gossip about you to each other and tell everyone what’s going on in your life that you expressed privately. I leave work so exhausted I fall asleep getting home and I get off at 3:30. If you want life and happiness, don’t work here.
All about the numbers
Fulfillment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLJuly 3, 2018
Chewy sold themselves to be about their employees. They have nothing in mind now but numbers. We no longer feel the joy of being employed at Chewy. Nothing is what we were told during orientation. Each day something changes. No communication, lack of leadership and no commitment to employees.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Low wages, no 401k
Chewy
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAJuly 3, 2018
You had to get there real early to be able to get what they call a { movex } a motorized cart you had to stand on to pull the orders carts . You stand for the whole shift and you hardly move your legs at all. And you had to get a computer that you strapped to your arm to pick the orders with each cart you got . The computers went off line now and then sometimes many times in one shift . And you have to go through a metal detector starting , breaks , lunch , finish . For what they pay is not enough for what they expect out of you . It did take a while to figure out the lay out to get around .
Pros
No pros
Cons
You have to stand for the whole shift
Fun work place
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAJuly 2, 2018
Chewy was a great place ro fo amd work with also excersizing with all the walking u would do with picking u would get fit in no time also they had a great training program
Pros
Alot of hours
Cons
Short breaks
Disfunctional
HR time Ninja (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLJuly 2, 2018
Not only is management lack communication and structure but he does as well they do not follow policy that they put in overall bad company to work for
Relaxed, friendly, work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLJune 29, 2018
Chewy was a wonderful place to work, and if I wasn't moving out of the city I would have loved to stay. They treated their employees like real people, and encouraged individuality (within reason), in the workplace. There were always fun events and things going on as well.

Of course, the work was serious as well, but they definitely wanted employees to feel like they were enjoying their work. Their idea was that a happy employee would make for happy customers - and I have to say, I wish more businesses followed this common-sense logic.
RePETitive work
Packer (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAJune 29, 2018
I would pack for the most part and would be given different tasks once in a while. Employees are friendly, lively, and helpful. You have to keep yourself going at a fast pace or won't be able to hit the required rate.
Pros
Three days off
Cons
Short breaks
all about the bottom dollar
Outbound order processor (Former Employee) –  bellview inJune 28, 2018
stretch
grab cart pick orders lifting very heavy bags
doing this 10 hours a day get hard
lots of walking pushing carts that get extremely heavy
no air in Wearhouse makes it hard in summer to work
Cons
no air
Fun work place
Outbound Associate (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVJune 27, 2018
Loved working there. Good bosses and loved the type of work . pay was low. It was a good place to start off in for a ware house job if never worked one before
Pros
Good enviornment
Cons
Short breaks and lunch considering the walk to get there was cohnted as out lunch
Nobody is one the same page
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PA 18706June 27, 2018
Nobody knows how they want to run things. My personal Supervisor was great, worked really hard to keep things running smoothly. But those higher up, really were never on the same page. It was stressful and every mistake came down on us.
No communication or organization
Fulfillment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAJune 26, 2018
You were expected to clock in, meet with management as a group, and then do stretches that had NOTHING to do with the job. Heaven help you if you needed to ask a question because you wouldn't be able to even find a supervisor. If that wasn't enough, they would make you sign these disciplinary sheets if you were 'time off task' for any reason. People who would fool around and not do their work were promoted and hard workers were expected to clean up after them.The overall atmosphere was more suited to a highschool drama than an actual workplace. And the kicker here...you couldn't even get aggravated or annoyed because then they'd write you up. HR couldn't or wouldn't help because 'it's up to your supervisor'. The phrase 'I'll look into it' was used so often that it became a joke and 'I'll get back to you' was just to pacify us. If they have to explain how a process works every time you ask a question, chances are they were just trying to figure it out themselves. The only good thing that came out of that warehouse was the product. Chewy only cares if you plan on spending money not on the workers, culture or people that make them the 'largest online pet retailer' all they see is dollar signs and green.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
short breaks, insurance doesn't work well, poor management
Other coworkers
Outbound Associate (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVJune 25, 2018
When I work there things were very busy a lot of drama I felt like I was back in high school some of my coworkers were nice but some were like the hick with you an this jod they were just there to do there job at any cost. An as for my boss when I could find one they were always to busy with something ealas to lesson to what u needed to ask them. So I just stop going to then.
Rude employees
Material Handler/Picker (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVJune 25, 2018
Rude employees. I am being forced to review this company and i do not want to. Not a fun experience. I wouldn't work here again as things are dealt with unfairly.