Chewy Employee Reviews

Featured review
Chewy selected this as a representative review
It's actually a welcoming workplace.
Fulfillment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Clayton, INSeptember 3, 2018
-Fulfillment specialist: $14/hr part-time; Sundays/Saturdays.
-Typical day is 10 1/2 hrs (7am-5:30pm.) I clock in, get a scanner, get a scooter, and get to work.
-It's really simple: Your scanner will tell you where to go and what to scan, and whatever you scan, you put onto your cart, and repeat for the rest of the day.
-There are two 30 min breaks (10:30am{unpaid} & 2pm{paid})
-(Hardest part) Some items, like the cat litter bags, are quite heavy (maybe 50+ lbs), but I don't mind it.
-(Most enjoyable part) I will advise for everyone to use a scooter. It really makes the job easier, light, fast, and fun!
-Usually, right before we start, we do stretches (well, at least I follow along to the stretches.)
-I'm not a people-person by any means, but so far, people have been nice and respectful. The atmosphere is really welcoming.
-I don't know the manager, so I can't say anything about him/her.
-All in all, one word I have for Chewy: FUN. I guarantee you, you'll get the hang of it quickly.
*P.S. I saw a dog once. (They allow pets there!!)
Pros
Pay; diversity; 20% discounts on their site, energetic atmosphere
Cons
Only 2 breaks. There used to be 3.
Bad company and management
Outbound Sales (Former Employee) –  Ocala flNovember 16, 2018
They must recognize that the general manager failure and poor management the break room far away to 15 minutes single pack just one person for make a work
Pros
Cons
Racism
Better than nothing
Order Fulfillment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Clayton, INNovember 15, 2018
Low employee morale, very few actual benefits, safety is preached but not enforced, cleanliness is not a priority to management, high turnover rate, unprofessional management with disrespectful attitudes
Cons
Noncompetitive wages, unsafe environment
promotion
specialist (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PANovember 14, 2018
Over 90% of the leadership (blue vest) are caucasian males. If you are black or older or a female it is next to impossible for you to be promoted. I went on several interviews and filled out applications each time a less qualified caucasian was chosen instead. I have over a decade of leadership experience. Clean work record and no criminal record. I even have great credit. I have perfect attendance and my manager signed my performance review as all around above excellence in performance in all categories.This company claims diversity in hiring and promotions but hosting over 90% caucasian males in the leadership position is an abysmal failure in diversity at best at worst purposefully disenfranchising worthy hardworking people of color. I am so very disappointed in this company. Shame on them.
Productive great environment with few strict needs
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 13, 2018
Call center campaign and very strict about being on time. A typical day was coming in and finding out your assigned cubicle was moved again for the 3rd time that week. Your shift manager is different for the second time that month and there is another update in the system so you have to go to companion to get updated while immediately taking calls. Multitasking was a huge priority as well as just going with the flow.
Fast-paced work environmnet
Fullfillment specialist (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PANovember 12, 2018
Chewy was a fun, fast-paced place to work. The hours were long and physically demanding. The shift was very structured and timed. Time clocks were used and were located about a 1/2 mile from the door. Lunches and breaks required employees to clock out. Lines formed at the time clock during lunch and break times causing employees to decide between eating lunch, using the restroom or getting right back into line to clock in. The shift went quickly due to the fast paced environment. Overall, I enjoyed working there and would love an opportunity to return. This was my first warehouse experience and enjoyed it immensely.
Pros
Great pay and benefit package
Cons
Point system causes a revolving door with many employees fired on the spot.
Just another number.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLNovember 11, 2018
Truth is, it's become a large corporation. Employees don't usually last longer than a year, unless they're promoted to a position of management or a specialty team. Advancements in my opinion, are not based on merit, but rather on appearance and popularity. Be prepared to have a supervisor who may know less than you, and flutters around to every work area but their own. At the end, it's full of people under 30 years old, and it begins to feel like high school all over again after awhile with the drama, and cliques.

P.S: I hope you can predict when you're going to be sick because if you call out it is an occurrence and you cannot apply the PTO you've accrued toward that day. It will be unpaid.
Pros
Free pet samples, pay isn't bad, all the O.T you want.
Cons
Job security. Advancement. Drama. Stressful.
Beware of Chewy
Team member (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZNovember 11, 2018
I don’t even know where to start.... This place is a joke. Management doesn’t care about anything other than getting paid. They constantly lie to associates. There is no way to move up in this company unless you are best friends with the GM or someone from corporate. They don’t even consider internal employees for promotions. This biggest let down is how you are ignored as an imployee here. Nothing you do is recognized. They even make some employees do their managers job and we don’t get even get paid a cent more for doing managers work! Like I said in the title, beware of Chewy. This place is full of lies.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, no growth, lying management, run by a possey of friends from amazon.
Not a bad place to work
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Clayton, INNovember 9, 2018
Decent place to work! Wouldn’t have a problem referring anyone there. If you need a job and are willing to work they probably have a job for you in some aspect or another.
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
It’s a job
relaxed work environment
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PANovember 7, 2018
I loved working at Chewy. They provide you with training on machinery. They give you the option of what work stations or area you want to be in. I loved the freedom of being an order picker.
fast pace work enviroment
Fulfillment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLNovember 7, 2018
Typical day was started at 6 am. Quick meeting then straight to my assigned area. 20mins in you were already sweating and tired depending the area you worked in. There were some great people that I worked with and others that I could have done without.
Very good morale in the workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 6, 2018
The job is what you make of it, if you go to work loving what you do and why you do it you will thrive there. Attendance and schedule adherence is the major factor. Every minute counts on this job.
Amazing place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 5, 2018
If you're committed to helping customers day in and day out, then this is the easiest job out there. Yes, it can be stressful answering call after call but that's what we get paid for. There's always something new everyday, from a different dog in the office to free catered lunch just to show appreciation. Management is amazing at my location, I wouldn't trade a single one of them! I would recommend this job to anyone!
Pros
great work environment, no uniforms, dogs in the office, happy hour every other week
Cons
pay could be better
Management is poor
Inbound Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 4, 2018
I was supposed to start fulltime at one of their warehouses and right before my scheduled start date, they kept changing up my schedule and days. They kept giving me the run around and never were in good contact with me. I finally gave up waiting on this job and missed so many opportunities with other jobs. Don't bother with this place. A couple of supervisors walked off the job (a friend who currently works there told me).
Benefits
Fast paced work environment
Operation Lead (Former Employee) –  Clayton, INNovember 2, 2018
Very fast paced workplace. Warehouse work so expect to get a little dirty. Newer equipment helps to get the work done. There is a lot of mandatory overtime called especially in the holiday season. Management is constantly pushing for more productivity. Breaks are monitored closely to ensure you don't take any extra time. Have to make production rate even when there is overcrowded areas to pick from. Newly trained equipment operators with not enough training, makes for a little more dangerous work environment. Used to be a safe, fun work environment. Things changed after the buyout and change in management.
Pros
Good pay for newly into the work force
Cons
Constantly monitored, long hours and no free time.
Be prepared to be treated like dirt
Fulfillment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NVNovember 2, 2018
It's hilarious how the internet makes Chewy look like such a fun and inviting place to work. When in reality the "leaders" and HR treat you like you're an IDIOT. It's literally my second day and I get glared at and eye rolls at the most simple questions that any new person would have. You're basically trained for five minutes and then get treated like a child if you don't remember exactly how to do something or slightly mess up a task (which IMO you shouldn't be doing completely all by yourself right away anyway). Honestly that's probably the breaking point for me is being barked at and humiliated for doing absolutely anything incorrectly. It's embarrassing. There's no structure, a lot of people just stand around joking around while you slave away. I ask my "leader" (note the quotation marks) vital questions and I'm ignored, glared at, or simply told "I have no idea" as they walk away. I'm told to do one thing a certain way by a leader and then others do things a completely different way so you look stupid no matter what. I did a lot of research before I chose to work here (I really needed the money but was still choosy) but I honestly had to find out for myself what the day to day operations are like. I don't believe Chewy itself and its founders/higher ups have created a bad workplace, I really do think they're trying their best. In hindsight it's a cute environment, but the toxic employees make it unbearable. All the younger kids and "glad to be here" older people are the only nice ones. The seasoned ones, the office workers, the higher ups - entitled jerks. It's sad that  more... a great company has to have such a bad structure here.  less
Pros
Multiple shifts to choose from
Cons
Disrespect, minimal training, boring tasks
The company treats it's employees like dirt
Picking and Packing (Former Employee) –  Sparks nvNovember 2, 2018
I worked there for 7 months They expect more than they pay they only promote brown nosers a room full of chimpanzees could run the company better than management and the management treats it's employees like a bunch of children most of the employees are fun loving people though
Pros
Good people
Cons
Dirt gets more respect than employees
Nightmare warehouse
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PANovember 2, 2018
It’s the worst Company I have ever work they led and mislead you when they interview and bring you aboard as a employee the management teams tell you be a Fortlift operator but it’s not true you end up being a multi picker and they don’t have have enough Movexx you have to push a 500 lbs cart and pick 16 different orders at same time after a couple of bags of dog food the carts weighs a half a ton.Starting wage is 12.50 they post up to 14$ to draw people in and trap them their is no safety’s they preach it but numbers are more important than safety the have so far this year 81 record accidents to OHSA stay away from the nightmare.
Pros
Fellow coworkers
mehh
Outbound Picker (Current Employee) –  Clayton, INNovember 1, 2018
I don't like the place, too negative and they don't care about their people. They change stuff every week and you never know what your job will be when you get there.
Pros
They'll hire anyone
Cons
Everything else
Sad really
Fullfilment specialist (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PANovember 1, 2018
Had a personal family issue that came up. With police involvement. I didn't call out. Got fired. Not calling out was my fault. Even with documentation. They said I had no days and family leave. But sent me a nice check for my paid time off. That u are not allowed to use without prior approval
Family means nothing. Numbers numbers numbers. U wont get a write up for insubordination but u will get 1 for not making numbers. The 1st 30 days are glorious but after that. Heck breaks in. Once trained to the docks u are prisoner... and at the same payrate as just picking an order. Request training... forget it. They rather get rid of you than pay u a $ more. You are expendable here. Be aware. And find a better job.

Chewy shame on you to treat your workers like that and no understanding for any situation. You tell lies and take away life.
Pros
Some real cool down to earth honest people here
Cons
Everything else.
Terrible place to work
Picker/Packer (Current Employee) –  Clayton, INOctober 30, 2018
Racist, unfair to blacks, people hit others in face and get a few days off work then come back with a promotion. No blacks in management. They have don’t treat every employee the same. Give write ups to blacks for no reason. Would not recommend at all if you are black.
Pros
No pros

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chewy. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight