Chewy Employee Reviews

Featured review
Chewy selected this as a representative review
It's actually a welcoming workplace.
Fulfillment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Clayton, INSeptember 3, 2018
-Fulfillment specialist: $14/hr part-time; Sundays/Saturdays.
-Typical day is 10 1/2 hrs (7am-5:30pm.) I clock in, get a scanner, get a scooter, and get to work.
-It's really simple: Your scanner will tell you where to go and what to scan, and whatever you scan, you put onto your cart, and repeat for the rest of the day.
-There are two 30 min breaks (10:30am{unpaid} & 2pm{paid})
-(Hardest part) Some items, like the cat litter bags, are quite heavy (maybe 50+ lbs), but I don't mind it.
-(Most enjoyable part) I will advise for everyone to use a scooter. It really makes the job easier, light, fast, and fun!
-Usually, right before we start, we do stretches (well, at least I follow along to the stretches.)
-I'm not a people-person by any means, but so far, people have been nice and respectful. The atmosphere is really welcoming.
-I don't know the manager, so I can't say anything about him/her.
-All in all, one word I have for Chewy: FUN. I guarantee you, you'll get the hang of it quickly.
*P.S. I saw a dog once. (They allow pets there!!)
Pros
Pay; diversity; 20% discounts on their site, energetic atmosphere
Cons
Only 2 breaks. There used to be 3.
Good culture if you’re a Millennial
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 18, 2018
If you’re fresh out of jiffy schoool or in college this would make an excellent nurturing environment. It’s not for everyone though and if you’ve been in the workforce for a number of years it will feel frustrating at times.
Pros
Good environment. Great if you’re in your 20’s
Cons
Not so great if you’re in your 40’s
Lack in advance and management
Picker and Packer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 16, 2018
Easy job
Management is young and immature mostly lacking the experience. Instead of taking advantage of a learning opportunity they abuse the role by placing themselves above all others, and participating in drama instead of being the problem solver.

Left my previous job for an extra day off n longer days. Pay was about the same but I regret leaving due to the *management
*repetitiveness isn't my cup of tea
*no room for advancement
*the danger of crossing a highly trafficked road because of lack parking spaces
*work ethic
Pros
Free food, easy work
Cons
Management, drama, considered a number not a valued employer
A Typical Day at work
Fulfillment Specialist (Former Employee) –  McCarran, NVSeptember 12, 2018
Typical day starts at 5 am Monday mornings. Clock in,sign out necessary equipment ( RF scanner, PIT equipment ) for job assigned. Wait for management meeting in the mornings by the Huddle Board to go over previous days production, stretch and get to work. Chewy is a self-managed company, once you are trained for specific tasks throughout the warehouse, you are basically on your own. Chewy tracks your daily production through your RF Scanner. Chewy is based off a production level designed for each task assigned. For example, 200 transactions per hour for Receivers, 10 transactions per hour for Reach Truck Drivers and so on. The overall competitive aspect of Chewy, though manageable, but unfair to say the least. Advancement Opportunities are based off of favoritism , rather than knowledge and work ethic. Often, the laziest employees are given the position, than those deserving and qualified.
Pros
diversity, 20% discount on site, energetic atmosphere
Cons
Pay wage, opportunity to advance, Constantly changing Rules
Has potential
Pharmacy Fulfillment Technician (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYSeptember 10, 2018
I really enjoyed the job and most of the people. The leadership is lacking on some of the shifts due to low pay even in leadership roles. Not much room for advancement if any. the highest pay shift is 12.50 to work nights, and lead position on all shifts is only $1.00 more for what should be a lot of responsibility and managing a shift of people which results in young immature adults without the skills to utilize the position.That lack of pay, long hours, and poor leadership is the reason for the 70% turn over in employees.
Pros
health, dental, optical, VTO and UTO
Cons
pay, advancements, very long hours on your feet
Do not work here.
Forfillment Expery (Former Employee) –  Clayton, INSeptember 9, 2018
This is a bad place to work in every way imaginable. I really can not think of one good thing to say about the place, from the clueless manaments to the warn down equipment unending hours, safety everything at this place screams do not work here.
Good place to start
Customer Service, Writing Team (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLSeptember 3, 2018
While they do sell you quite a bit of the Kool-Aid during interview and orientation, by all means it's not a terrible place to work at. Just make sure that you do your job competently and you'll be fine. Advancing however, may require you to schmooze and kiss a few behinds.
Pros
Great coworkers, team leads and supervisors are usually approachable and will be happy to lend a hand if you need
Cons
Promotion seems more based on politics than work ethic or quality, Pay raises are few and far between.
Its a job, nothing else
picker (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PASeptember 2, 2018
If you need steady work, chewy is good enough. One of the biggest complaints i heard was about pick rates per hour. If you don't talk to anyone and just do your job, its easy to surpass that rate.Its not a place to go have a work family, you're there to put things in boxes. It pas the bills,benefits seemed good. If you have no skills, no life, and are ready to be just another worker, its great.You will feel your life draining away packing boxes.
Chewtopian
BRAND COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLSeptember 1, 2018
Chewy is an amazing company that is changing the face of the pet industry and it was an honor to be apart of something that will be a public institution for many years to come.
Good For Temporary Work
Customer Appreciation Team (CAT TEAM) Member (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLSeptember 1, 2018
When I first started at Chewy there was promise of a great culture that fostered what it means to be an individual, but that is quite the opposite. They want their idea of individuality which they describe as being "Chewy," which basically means being friendly all the time (totally fine), but also includes sucking up and dealing with unfair and constantly changing rules. Recently Chewy has enforced that employees have clear bags, including lunch bags and materials, to be entered into the building as well as a metal detector as a means of becoming PCI compliant which is sometimes inconvenient because this leads to lines to even enter the building.
Being part of the CAT Team is often unrewarding. They offer 10 hour set schedule shifts either 6-4:30pm or 4pm-2:30 am, which is a convenient and beneficial perk but neither shift communicates with each other during the overlay, and this often leads to frustration and conflict later on. Often supervisors and leads are not present to help with situations and are on their phones though other employees lower than them are subject to termination for doing the same thing. Chewy offers 0 raises for people in this department and if you are not hired as a CSR (Customer Service Rep.) or if they do not like you, you are not provided with the opportunity of moving up. I have been here for 4 months and 1 person hired WITH me has become a lead and 1 person hired AFTER me also became a lead though there are qualified individuals that have been there for years that are overlooked for the position.
This department is the bottom of the barrel
  more... of the company and is very tedious. If supervisors have conflict, they make it known with attitudes that stretch throughout the day regardless of your involvement.
On any given day you are clocked in and sitting for 10 hours (except for breaks) either reviewing welcome cards or helping produce holiday cards. This job is very easy disregarding management/leads. This job is great for temporary work but if you are not what they are looking for, or if you dont suck up, this company will not become a career.
Chewy offers good benefits such as bagel monday, set schedules, great amount of hours, and medical/vision/dental/401k but on the flip side, the tedious nature can get quite annoying.
Pros
Bagel Monday/Break Room Advertisements, Set Schedule, Guaranteed 40 Hours, Medical/Dental/Vision/401K, Free Samples
Cons
Constantly changing rules, Supervisors/Leads, Pay, Treatment, Advancement Opportunities do not exist unless for certain circumstances
Company used to be great, but has suffered A LOT lately.
N/A (Current Employee) –  Clayton, INAugust 30, 2018
This company used to be about the employee and, simply put, is now all about the figures - with little to no incentives to their employees to work hard and want to come to work.
Pros
Benefits & Descent Pay
Cons
Terrible communication, rude managers, and terrible work environment.
Team Member
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAAugust 29, 2018
When you walk in you never know where you are going to be. It can be good thing or a bad thing. There is always MOT or VOT if you need extra cash. When there is VTO and you drive there for nothing it kinda sucks.
Okay Job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 25, 2018
I currently still work at Chewy. My work schedule is okay Sunday-Thursday 6am-2:30. The company is okay, but somethings can be handled different in the Dallas Call center. . They’re so strict on time. You can’t be a min late, but expect for you do everything. The bathroom is not even inside the building so you’ll have to waste some of your 15 mins going to the bathroom and expect to keep up with the time you used for your next break. Lunch is 30 mins. Change is daily here, some of the changes you’re like why? They expect for you do everything while the customer is on the call. Some customer don’t wanna sit on the phone and talk about stuff while you’re doing work. You can’t use hold or anything, and if you need help they expect for you type everything or write it down. I do think they should pay more, but it’s good for starters. They don’t provide an employee handbook so you don’t really know what’s expected in terms of missing days and all of that.
Pros
Free lunches, great co-workers
Cons
Short breaks, Poor management
They will not pay you what you are worth
Senior Human Resources Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 22, 2018
Chewy was fun, but no cigars as it pertains to pay.

A typical day at work would consist of coming in and motivating team members to do their best in the fulfillment center, then it was off to the race with interviews, orientations, and paperwork.
Salary wasn't great, management was lazy and self important.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 20, 2018
Free food was pretty good and happy hour was too. Lots of cool people and the customers were pretty cool for the most part. The company is really good at keeping customers. I figured it goes like this: customer has a an issue(late delivery, damaged items, pet passed, etc.) they replace or refund and ask you to donate unwanted items to nearest shelter(that's where the cycle starts) the target customer is an older person with a strong connection to animals so they arrive at the shelter and I imagine if they had a pet pass they are very vulnerable and the pets at the shelter are an obvious relief so they get one and bam the people are back on the phone with us in a few days making huge orders that they can't really afford and don't get me started on the "Autoship" This company is gonna do great but the truth is its based on lies and I bet with minimal digging one could find that the founding and selling of the company was not how they paint it to be or maybe it was who knows all I can say for sure is that there was a real weird almost evil vibe in that office building that they wanted to mask with the fake positivity but it was easy and for the most part the people(CSRS) were pretty cool but management was sub par if you can handle yourself and have a grip on life than go ahead and apply its not that bad
Pros
Free stuff, cool people, easy job
Cons
Poor management, Cult-like vibe, Short breaks, Not so great pay
Very Strict
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 18, 2018
Chewy is an okay job. They are very strict. If you’re 1 min late, it’s a full occurrence. You basically can’t miss at all or you will loose your job. It’s very fast paced. No break in between calls. If you go to the bathroom at anytime, you that takes away from your break. They stress how there’s room for growth but you have to be on your P’s and Q’s.
Pros
Paid weekly and benefits
Cons
Everything else.
Easy to do if you do it right.
Fufillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVAugust 16, 2018
Offers jobs to people from almost any background without discrimination and allows employees days off matching days worked. Definitely takes a tool on your feet, but gives you at most 3 days off a week. Fun workplace, but still serious about performance.
Pros
Large lunch room, sociable people, scooters
Cons
Short breaks, relies on a point system
no job security
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAAugust 16, 2018
management was all that knowledgeable about the tasks that employees had to do. They would also forcibly transfer your work shift with out your consent.
Unsafe environment.
Picjer/packer (Former Employee) –  NevadaAugust 16, 2018
Horrific place to work. They cannot keep employees. Unsafe environment. Saw 2 accidents in 2 weeks. Several boxes cluttered down a aile, and kitty litter frequently not cleaned up. Terrible break system. Workers are running over each other to make quotas.
Pros
Benefits immediately.
Cons
Unconcerned for safety of employees.
A fun place to work with but keep work at work and your home business at home
Fullfillment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLAugust 15, 2018
A good company to work for I just recommend you come in and do your job and go home keep your outside life don't bring it into the job place and stick to yourself because everyone ain't your friend a lot of Gossip goes on and favoritism
Pros
Flexible schedule nice coworkers
Cons
Short breaks a lot of favoritism, want more production then willing to pay, based on experience and what you know not $0.50 every 6 months
Fun workplace, Wish I could go back
Chewy.com warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVAugust 13, 2018
I was on a temp agency for Chewys. The managers wanted me to be hired full time, but HR didn't agree. So when my temp hire was up, I tried to reapply at Chewys job fair. They sent an email to HR and it was their decision on whether to rehire me or not. The managers knew how I worked. They even vouched for me about my great work performance. I was the fastest picker/line loader there. HR didn't know how strong of a worker i was over there. The Managers knew how I worked. All HR sees of workers is on the computer. If i could go back and work there, I would. HR doesn't see me as a strong loyal worker like the managers did.
Pros
Work environment, workers, work tasks
Cons
Human Resources, short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chewy. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight