Cheyney University of Pennsylvania Employee Reviews

very relaxed
Game Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cheyney, PAFebruary 12, 2018
no issues. worked in the student union, during night time hours. nothing to worry about except sorting the mail that may come in. very relaxed and calm, due to students walking around.
It's complicated
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Cheyney, PAJanuary 26, 2018
Cheyney University is going through a transition and it is important for anyone to be concerned about their future. I would recommend working there if you're applying for an administrative position.
Work as an Residential Advisor
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cheyney, PANovember 29, 2017
As a Residential Advisor (RA) you are at work 24/7 while on campus. Despite the fact you have a schedule for office hours something may happen and you are the only RA around to get the job done.
Pros
Free Room and Board
Cons
There is no time to relax
Amazing College
Volunteer - Telecommunications and Media Services (Former Employee) –  Cheyney, PA 19319August 22, 2017
I volunteered here in the Telecommunications Department for several years. I loved it the hands on feeling was amazing. I was a type that got bored with just sitting around. The opportunity I was so thankful for.
Pros
Great staff
Used to be a nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Cheyney, PAJune 27, 2017
Beautiful campus, not the best place to look for employment at the moment. Hopefully the moral of Cheyney University will change within the near future.
Pros
A lot of down time
Cons
Low pay, long commute, no job security
Educating and fun work environment
IT Work Study (Former Employee) –  Cheyney, PAJune 16, 2017
I had very outgoing co-workers, and a very entertaining supervisor. We all developed a very open and supportive work environment. My supervisor taught me about the IT aspects of my jo every chance he got. It was a diverse group of people. I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
It vould get slow at times
Their HR is a mess, furloughing new hires...no job security...terrible benefits
Equipment Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheyney, PADecember 13, 2016
I was hired and started on Halloween for a full time position. Found out in the first week of December that I will be furloughed and my last week of work is on the first week of January. I even asked before I was hired if I should have any concerns of losing my job and was told no. They are making budget cuts/furloughed all around, I wouldn't suggest taking a position here. Especially if you were like me and had other job offers, those offers expired and now I'm on the job market again.

I will say that my fellow colleagues are nice people and it's a good working environment with them. The issue is that the environment is tainted because any day you could be a furlough.

The benefits, particularly health care benefits are not that great. I have to wait 6 months before I'm covered for vision/dental/prescriptions, be mindful of that.

If you are coming from out-of-state, this is a union position. My job is being given to another employee who was furloughed before I accepted my position. That employee had seniority, so the union will screw you. Oh and you'll be paying union dues so you're paying them to screw you over.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Furlough, Budget Cuts, Human Resources, Health Benefits, Salary
Life Changing
Student Government President (Former Employee) –  Cheyney, PAOctober 8, 2016
Cheyney University opened doors for me that may have never been opened. Cheyney University gave me the audacity to speak out about social and economic issues. It gave me a place and a landscape to express my art, freely.
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheyney, PAJune 22, 2016
I worked as a volunteer, work-study student, and research assistant. I absolutely loved working at Cheyney University.
Cheyney University of Pennsylvania
Media Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Cheyney, PA 19319May 25, 2016
I've worked for Cheyney University for over 13 years. I have had different job titles in different departments. It is a fair place to work with really great people to work with and for. If it wasn't for the fact that I am trying to relocate I would still enjoy working for Cheyney.
Pros
Family oriented, made really great friends here.
Cons
The drive to work can be a little trying.
Great Opportunities to learn and grow
Program Director-Summer Transportation Institute (Former Employee) –  Cheyney, PAMay 4, 2016
Cheyney is an incubator for expanding minds and innovators. unfortunately, due to union security of most of the positions the employees become mediocre and complacent in their jobs. Continuing education s/b a requirement for most positions given the rapid rate of technology and education changes that frequently take place in today's world
Pros
Great learning environment, Rich history and legacy, Many educational opportunities
Cons
Mediocrity is tolerated too much, Lack of understanding for the funding processes in Higher Ed
awesome
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheyney, PADecember 29, 2015
Cheney University is a diverse learning experience. I would recommend visiting the campus and getting to know more about the University and what it has to offer.
Creative experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Cheyney, PADecember 7, 2015
Supportive faculty members, creative and innovative teamwork experience, collaboration opportunities, and great career development opportunities.

A great mentorship.
Pros
student engagement
Cheyney
Administrative Clerical (Former Employee) –  Cheyney, PAAugust 20, 2015
Cheyney was a great experience. I worked with students traditional and non traditional who desired a better life achieved through education. I was happy to serve at Cheyney and very happy to serve the population of at least 5000 students during my approximate 10 tenure. Cheyney was a very rewarding and positive experience to utilize my administrative abilities on a day to day basis.
Could be a great place to work with the right administration
Information Technology Generalist (Former Employee) –  Cheyney, PAJanuary 22, 2015
This has the potential to be a great place to work once an excellent, caring administrative team is put in place. The benefits are excellent!
Productive and Fast Paced
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Cheyney, PAApril 28, 2014
I assist with the financial management of federal and state grants totaling 2.1 million dollars.
Pros
tuition for employees, spouses and dependents
Cons
No breaks, our union is hit the hardest with lay offs
Heads they win, tails I lose
PROJECT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Cheyney, PAFebruary 27, 2014
The benefits do not generally outweigh the detriments. Flexible work hours could add significant value but are forbidden by manager for no apparent reason beyond personal opinion. Generally friendly co-workers but the boss is too often Mr. Hyde and rarely Dr. Jeckyll.
Pros
Great Benefits, Relatively Quiet, Some Autonomy
Cons
Stagnant Culture, Limited Mobility, Management Issues, Nepotism
Exciting, different everyday, challanging, rewarding
Administrative Assistant to the Dean (Current Employee) –  Cheyney, PennsylvaniaNovember 16, 2013
A typical day at work is working with students and solving problems from personal issues to school related issues in class to withdrawals. I manage the office from ordering supplies and furniture to organizing the planned events on campus. I manage student workers for our department and my co-workers have many different personalities in which I adjust to each in order to get my job done. The hardest part of the job would be making sure the students are well equipped with all of the information they need to reach their dreams when they are not sure which direction to go in; most cases you have to guide them in the right direction. The most enjoyable part of the job is to have the office run smoothly, the planned events turn out successful and the students graduate with honors.
Pros
Learning is essentail which is a daily routine, great students and a great working environment even under stress
Cons
unsuccessful students
A productive and fun place.
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Cheyney, PAAugust 16, 2013
A great leaning experience. working with budget and traveling. Meeting student family members and friends.
Pros
Very good place to work
Cons
Stabilty
Great Company
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cheyney, PAMay 5, 2013
Great company in training and teaching how to be responsible and providing the best service